Do you think that they'll include an neutral faction on the battlefield?

I've been playing FE since Awakening came out and some of my favorite levels on the 3DS games were the ones where you had to protect an villager and that one time Saizo teamed up with me. Normally, babysitting an somewhat defenseless ally is an chore. But it goes an long way with worldbuilding, like how innocent people are getting caught up in the flames of war or that Zeke's detachment were willing to get themselves slaughtered for standing up against Jerome.

So with Three Houses, we have an country that is supposed to have an well-trained legion of knights and another that is ruled by an group of nobles. I don't think that it'll be that hard to avoid an reason for having faceless allies from the first one and protecting an group of merchants. 

Green units are a standard in FE games since FE1 or 2, can't remember, so they are definitely appearing somewhere somehow.

Now what I want to see is a faction that attack's both the player and the enemies, something hat would have been perfect for FE7 Karel for example.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

Green units are a standard in FE games since FE1 or 2, can't remember, so they are definitely appearing somewhere somehow.

Now what I want to see is a faction that attack's both the player and the enemies, something hat would have been perfect for FE7 Karel for example.

That's what I've always wanted, to be honest, and I thought that Revelation was the perfect time to have them. Alas, IS did not deliver.

16 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I don't think that idea will be in the game. Reminds me too much of certain maps in Radiant Dawn where I have to wait for upwards of two minutes after the enemy and other units finish their turn.

Well nowadays we do have the skip turn function so it wouldn't be as much of a problem if it did come up here. Underrated valuable feature that Shadow Dragon gave all the current games tbh.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well nowadays we do have the skip turn function so it wouldn't be as much of a problem if it did come up here. Underrated valuable feature that Shadow Dragon gave all the current games tbh.

I completely forgot the skip turn function was in the last couple of games. That sure would make lengthy enemy phases games (4,10) faster.

5 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'm not the biggest fan of green units, if they do return I hope it's only in minimal amounts such as a recruitable unit on the battlefield or something.

I don't mind them to show scope and scale honestly, although i'm not sure how big some of the battles here will be when they could just be Field Trips of sorts at first. 

3 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

Truth be told I really like green units as a filler to throw away at the enemy and soften them up for your party, or distract them so your party has more cushioning for strategy. Big battle chapters should have plenty of green units on hand a la RD. 

As mentioned now with a skip turn function this would be more acceptable than ever now.

19 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

That is something that would be really cool to see.

Another idea might be a mercenary company that fights for whoever's winning the battle. Maybe even have the leader of the company lament, "I follow the strongest side! That is all I have ever known..." Oh, wait; that line's from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Never mind.

14 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

fights for whoever's winning the battle.

How do you determine this though? Most times enemies have more units than you so how will this work?

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

How do you determine this though? Most times enemies have more units than you so how will this work?

Go by whoever is taking more damage or losses. Although at that point the battle is pretty much over when enough people die in quick succession.

3 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

There are a few ways that I've thought of for how it could be done:

46 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Go by whoever is taking more damage or losses. Although at that point the battle is pretty much over when enough people die in quick succession.

This. Another could be that the chapter involves guarding and controlling certain chokepoints, and the mercenaries side with whoever controls more of them. Another method could be that there's a boss and a sub-boss. Defeat the sub-boss, and the mercenaries will side with you. Stuff like that. 

Revisit Thracia 776. Green units = strict neutral, potentially hostile to the player faction and its allies and to enemies depending on the situation. In some cases, screw up a situation bad, and they will outright side with the enemy.

12 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Revisit Thracia 776. Green units = strict neutral, potentially hostile to the player faction and its allies and to enemies depending on the situation. In some cases, screw up a situation bad, and they will outright side with the enemy.

Reminds me of Law's End from Awakening. 

But their gold wasn't really worth it, so I killed them both and got all the items from the town.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:42 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

Man, Karel was so cool.

4 hours ago, Rad said:

Man, Karel was so cool.

I mean he isn't terrible and he is kinda wholesome in FE6 but he gets really overshadowed by Rutger or by Harken, which sucks.

It would be nice if the neutral faction ends up being one of the other two kingdoms you don't choose. Something like Edelgard's group being the neutral party for Dmitri, Dmitri being the neutral one for Claude, and Claude being the neutral one for Edelgard. That way you can experience every kingdom as both an ally and an enemy.