Bors?

Hi, all. I got my ROM for FE6 yesterday, and I had a small question about Bors.

Is he worth having everybody stick around and waiting for? Right now, he's not doing too badly as my RNG seems to favor him, but I just wanted to ask for the sake of asking so that I don't screw myself over later. Also, since I'm at chapter 3, are there any units at this point in time that are junk units?

Bors is pretty terrible in this game. The only redeeming quality is his Armor Triangle attack.

Lugh outclasses Lilina and Hugh. Lilina WILL cap Magic, but every other stat suffers, and Hugh comes late and you need to spend quite a large sum of money to make him good.

Armor Knights are pretty terrible in this game. Their most redeeming quality is their Armor Triangle attack.

Fix'd

Bors is the better of the 3 Armor knights. He's definitely decent in normal mode and if his stats aren't too screwed, then he may be a good addition to your team. He's a good tank with decent speed (later on that is).

As for the mages, Lugh's definitely the best... his magic can be low but that's not gonna stop him from being good since he'll often double enemies and physical enemies have poor resistance and he can take on many wyverns as a sage with Aircalibur. Lilina's got overkill magic but she's more fragile and has trouble doubling.

Edited by Boo

There is absolutely no reason to use Bors. If you want a tanky unit that doesn't have a lot in the way of offense, use Treck. At least he can move around and actually hit stuff.

Bors is actually a really solid unit in normal mode. He's high tier there.

The problem is the number of units that are actually viable in normal mode.

If he started with a point of speed more, he would have been twice as good in Hard mode.

There are enough spots for him by endgame, and you do get boots later(around the time where even though it might seem like a great idea to give it to Roy, his performance is beginning to wane), so using him in normal mode(especially if you like the class) is valid.

If you absolutely need an Armor unit, use Bors. As others have said, of the three, he's arguably the best. Wendy is too frail for an Armor and Barth is overkill in some stats and worthless in others. However, you'd probably be better off with either Miledy or Zeiss if you want a tanking powerhouse that uses Lances.

As for "junk" units, I've personally never been a fan of Wolt (Seeing as you get two Nomads that are equal and/or better down the road) or Wade and Lot. I use the latter two more than Wolt, but I eventually drop them in favor of another unit that can use Axes. I'll also drop either Lance or Allen, depending on who is the worse of the two by about the middle of the game (Ch. 13 or so) to make room for some diversity in unit selection.

Edited by Lord Glenn

You don't jump from Bottom tier to High tier by switching modes. He performs better in NM than in HM, but everyone does, except people who get HM bonuses. He still has bad offense, now more passable defense, but still terrible mobility. Everyone else has better durability now too, and better offense too, and the same mobility...

Indeed, he doesn't jump from High to Bottom or vise-versa, but he definitely does jump from High to the lower areas of Mid, or even the upper areas of Low.

You don't jump from Bottom tier to High tier by switching modes. He performs better in NM than in HM, but everyone does, except people who get HM bonuses. He still has bad offense, now more passable defense, but still terrible mobility. Everyone else has better durability now too, and better offense too, and the same mobility...

That's like saying the difference in performance between the 2 modes is the same for both Wendy and Bors.

Huh? No. I'm saying, the factors that make Bors better in NM than in HM (enemies have less accuracy, less power, less defense, less avoid, are lesser in number, etc) apply to everyone, and he isn't affected by then more than others. Or even if they are, it's not enough to magically pump his performance to anywhere near decent. He's mediocre at best.

Huh? No. I'm saying, the factors that make Bors better in NM than in HM (enemies have less accuracy, less power, less defense, less avoid, are lesser in number, etc) apply to everyone, and he isn't affected by then more than others. Or even if they are, it's not enough to magically pump his performance to anywhere near decent. He's mediocre at best.

He is. Bors joins in the first chapter and since he isn't getting doubled or easily killed there, he's performing decently and has plenty of room to grow and become better without much trouble. In hard mode he's too much trouble to use.

Like you said, the same is similar to other units but the difference in his performance between the 2 modes is somewhat greater than that of low tier units.

Edited by Boo

Hm. Interesting bunch of things flying around here.

Right now, Bors is at the stage where he has around a 70% chance or so of hitting people (sometimes less), and he also usually doesn't get hurt if the enemy manages to hit him. So overall, I think that right now he's in good hands. We'll see how that sentiment evolves over the next few chapters, but right now I think I'm fine. Thanks for all the great feedback!

In hard mode, Bors is nice to use in the early chapters that ensue after Chapter 1, as they are comprised of many lance and sword users, but he'll become a liability later on. He's mainly only useful in the early chapters because no-one else can get hit as many times as he can (soldiers don't double attack him, for your information).

The boss in the chapter you get her in, yes, but after that their resistance drops off again for a few chapters so you can let her get the kill easier. It's not like you have to abuse her to get her up to speed in one or two chapters, just letting her take kills here and there is enough.

I prefer Lugh over Lilina for his insane speed, but I prefer her over Hugh because he's also underleveled (and further into the game, which makes it a real issue) and a drain on funds. That, and taking out Mamkutes with only one character is always satisfying.

On topic, Bors is the best Armour (although I've used Wendy and liked her before, she needs a heck of a lot of babying before she's any good) and there's no reason to stop using him now if he's levelled a bit and not lagging in stats. FE6 does, however, have some incredibly frustrating terrain (The Ilian river chapter comes to mind), so he'll be a pain in the ass then.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

Indeed, he doesn't jump from High to Bottom or vise-versa, but he definitely does jump from High to the lower areas of Mid, or even the upper areas of Low.

I don't know where he ranks on normal mode... probably somewhere near the bottom of mid tier, but he's low tier on hard mode. And near the bottom of it, too.