Will we be able to recruit students from other Houses?

Will we be able to recruit students from other Houses?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will students from other houses be recruitable?

• Nope, none of the students from other houses will be recruitable
    • We can recruit some students from other houses, but not all of them.
    • We'll be able to recruit all of the students no matter what house we pick in the beginning
  2. 2. If students from other houses are recruitable, how do we get them?

• We'll be able to recruit them by interacting with them at the school and raising our support level with them.
    • We'll be able to recruit them through paralogues, like the one we saw with Ingrid and Dorothea.
    • We'll get the students just by playing through the story.
    • We're not getting any students from other houses.
    • Other

So the latest Famitsu article has given us a lot more information on the game, but it hasn't confirmed or denied whether or not we'll be able to recruit students from houses besides the one that you start with. It has been revealed that you can interact with and gain support points with characters outside of your chosen house, but what purpose it will serve it currently unknown. Also, a paralogue that features students from different houses has been shown off, but it is currently unknown if both characters will be controllable or if they act as allied units or only appear in story sections.

So what are your current thoughts on whether or not we'll be able to recruit students from other houses?

Edited by Calico

I feel like we'll get all the students eventually. Famitsu makes it sound like the story will be the same regardless of what house you pick and what changes is the perspective, kinda like the Eirika and Ephraim routes in Sacred Stones. Every character is available, what determines how early you get them is what House you choose.

With the wording of the article being: The protagonist is a teacher at the Officer’s Academy and will decide which of the three houses to lead during the early stages of the game.  I think we will definitely get other house students later on down the line. I feel like what might happen is later on down the road we will be able to recruit units, however they wont be students, they will be in predetermined classes (like Dorothea would be a mage and Lorenz would be a cavalier) so you don't have as much creative control over them like you would with the students you have in the house you picked.

If any students aren't playable, it would probably be the leaders possibly and maybe one of two key characters from each house (like if Ashe's father survives past when you fight him, I don't see Ashe joining another house, but rather joining his father's rebellion and I don't think Hubert would leave Edelgard's side if it is the case the houses end up fighting one another). I think it would be very odd for IS to have all these characters (like there is 24 students between the three houses, which would be half of the cast in any other fe game) and for you only to have access to 8 of them and have the other 16 unplayable, unless every other playable character beyond the students are mostly shared regardless of route or they are going for a smaller roster per house akin to SoV's roster.

7 minutes ago, Azz said:

With the wording of the article being: The protagonist is a teacher at the Officer’s Academy and will decide which of the three houses to lead during the early stages of the game. 

I'm pretty sure what that means is that the choice of which house you pick comes really early at the game, not that your choice only matters for the early stages of the game.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Lysithea and Dorothea sitting together at the table eating with you basically should be confirmation that you can gain students from other houses, I think? If only temporarily.

The way the article poses it is that you can have all students interact with each other, but technically the only units you have are the ones from your house. It wouldn't make sense if the houses didn't all socialize with each other. But they just go out on their 'assignments' with their class.

This is what I inferred anyway.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm pretty sure what that means is that the choice of which house you pick comes really early at the game, not that your choice only matters for the early stages of the game.

Yep this is what I'm reading from this as well.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that we'll get them all eventually. With how many of them we have (enough to be at least half the cast), it'd be odd for them to not do this, imo.

6 hours ago, Coolmanio said:

The way the article poses it is that you can have all students interact with each other, but technically the only units you have are the ones from your house. It wouldn't make sense if the houses didn't all socialize with each other. But they just go out on their 'assignments' with their class.

This is what I inferred anyway.

But doing stuff like eating together is supposed to raise Support level. Wouldn't that mean the student is in your class if they can be there?

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

15 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But doing stuff like eating together is supposed to raise Support level. Wouldn't that mean the student is in your class if they can be there?

I mean, they could have supports just being supports. Once you raise supports levels enough, you can still get the support convo, but they won't actually be in battle since they are in a different house.

There is this part of the article that Vincent translated:

Notice how the Black Eagle students have Motivation icons (the smiley faces) next to their portraits and names. Feeding your students lets you boost their Motivation, so you can teach them more. This suggests that only they are under your command; the other characters are probably independent, but you can still interact with them.

This is what sells me on the fact you can only command students of your house.

But who knows, all we can do is speculate (and wait for E3, haha).

2 minutes ago, Coolmanio said:

I mean, they could have supports just being supports. Once you raise supports levels enough, you can still get the support convo, but they won't actually be in battle since they are in a different house.

There is this part of the article that Vincent translated:

This is what sells me on the fact you can only command students of your house.

But who knows, all we can do is speculate (and wait for E3, haha).

I see. I missed that part of the article. Then maybe there's some meaning to building good relationships with other houses...

I feel like they're intentionally being vague about the playable characters to make the "choice" seem like a bigger deal. I'm leaning towards you getting pretty much all the students (minus like 1-2 from each house) and that they wouldn't be customizable once they join. 

I have a feeling you'd get all 3 house leaders eventually, and that the events of the story determine when they join you.

Like maybe Edelgard is first to go against the church, and Claude second, so if you choose her route, you get Claude + students early and then Dimitri + students a few chapters later. But if you choose Dimitri, you get Edelgard/Claude + students all at the same time and later in the story.

I just hope it's not TOO end game, because I definitely want specific characters from specific houses to create my custom roster!

I'm starting to wonder if the reason we haven't much on info on what happens to the houses you don't choose is because those houses side with church, which was supposed to be a plot twist, hence why Intelligent Systems has been quite quiet about what happens to the other houses- they want to surprise you.