Is it just me, or is wyvern ride/lord kinda way strong?

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Flying units can also wield bows, if the unit had proficiency beforehand.  Deadeye + few terrain restrictions + canto wrecked later maps.

Someone PLEASE talk me out of doing this with Ignatz.

No Bowrange+ that Sniper/Bow Knight give, loss of a potential mastery skill in Hit+20 (which stacks nicely with his personal), if you don't make him an Archer.
Flying is hard to train for him, because he doesn't have a proficiency in it. In fact, Flying is one of his weaknesses, making it even harder to rank up.
You need Axe B and Flying C to become a Wyvern Rider, which takes a lot of time if you don't have him use an Axe the entire time (which means no Bow rank). Wyvern Rider is also an Advanced class, so you have to wait until at least level 20 before you can put him on a flying mount, unlike the females who get Pegasus Knight at level 10 for passive Flying leveling.
And then we get to Wyvern Lord, for which you need both Axes and Flying on rank A in addition to Lance C, the latter of which is the only one he's proficient in of the three. And where does that leave time for leveling up Bows? Assuming you want him to promote at the earliest possible point in time (level 20 and 30 respectively), you'll have pretty much zero time to increase his Bow rank, meaning by the time you get to the time skip, you'll still be stuck on D-something Bows.
And the kicker: Ignatz doesn't learn Deadeye.

Have I convinced you?

Just now, DragonFlames said:

No Bowrange+ that Sniper/Bow Knight give, loss of a potential mastery skill in Hit+20 (which stacks nicely with his personal), if you don't make him an Archer.
Flying is hard to train for him, because he doesn't have a proficiency in it. In fact, Flying is one of his weaknesses, making it even harder to rank up.
You need Axe B and Flying C to become a Wyvern Rider, which takes a lot of time if you don't have him use an Axe the entire time (which means no Bow rank). Wyvern Rider is also an Advanced class, so you have to wait until at least level 20 before you can put him on a flying mount, unlike the females who get Pegasus Knight at level 10 for passive Flying leveling.
And then we get to Wyvern Lord, for which you need both Axes and Flying on rank A in addition to Lance C, the latter of which is the only one he's proficient in of the three. And where does that leave time for leveling up Bows? Assuming you want him to promote at the earliest possible point in time (level 20 and 30 respectively), you'll have pretty much zero time to increase his Bow rank, meaning by the time you get to the time skip, you'll still be stuck on D-something Bows.
And the kicker: Ignatz doesn't learn Deadeye.

Have I convinced you?

. . .uhh. . .

Spoiler

Ashe decided he wanted to be a flying thing after the time skip, and he was a flying thing by the time all was said and done.  On Edelgard's route.

Flying weakness is probably the strongest argument against it.  Still, I have the entire game to do something about it.  Looks like he's going to focus axes/flying along with flying group tasks while getting all of his combat experience as an archer equipped with a Knowledge Gem.  Seminars just might be worth my time!

Spoiler

Though after my experiences with Ashe, I think Iggy will be fine as a Wyvern Rider.

In other words, Challenge Accepted.

Yeah, two in-game weeks ago, Raphael had 0xp invested into flying. Two instruction sessions and Sky Patrol duties later and he's a Wyvern Rider. Needed to pass a 43% test (that happened right after Claude failed a 44% and me hard-resetting the game), but pass it he did.

59 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .uhh. . .

Reveal hidden contents

Ashe decided he wanted to be a flying thing after the time skip, and he was a flying thing by the time all was said and done.  On Edelgard's route.

Flying weakness is probably the strongest argument against it.  Still, I have the entire game to do something about it.  Looks like he's going to focus axes/flying along with flying group tasks while getting all of his combat experience as an archer equipped with a Knowledge Gem.  Seminars just might be worth my time!

Reveal hidden contents

Though after my experiences with Ashe, I think Iggy will be fine as a Wyvern Rider.

In other words, Challenge Accepted.

Damn it! XD
But good luck! I hope it goes well for you!

43 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, two in-game weeks ago, Raphael had 0xp invested into flying. Two instruction sessions and Sky Patrol duties later and he's a Wyvern Rider. Needed to pass a 43% test (that happened right after Claude failed a 44% and me hard-resetting the game), but pass it he did.

That's some serious luck right there.
I've had people fail 66+% chances on exams before. Heck, Hilda failed a 94% when I tried to make her a Wyvern Lord. But then again, it's Hilda, so...

23 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Damn it! XD
But good luck! I hope it goes well for you!

That's some serious luck right there.
I've had people fail 66+% chances on exams before. Heck, Hilda failed a 94% when I tried to make her a Wyvern Lord. But then again, it's Hilda, so...

To be fair, Claude is currently a Brigand because he failed his 76% exam to become a Hero (which I tried to fall back on once he failed that 44% to become a Wyvern Rider). I figure a week or two of practice swinging the axe is better than nothing. He'll be my fourth flier, and now that Raphael is up, Hilda will be my fifth. Not sure who the sixth will be, probably someone I recruit within the next chapter.

Edited by Humanoid