What gameplay elements should be kept/abandoned moving forward from here?

Jotari

3 hours ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Now, I'm the first to admit I have not seen all the supports in the game. But I have seen a lot of A supports, and I don't recall any of them explicitly stating that the pair involved were going to get married. The closest I got was Sylvain asking Dorothea out on a date and Catherine promising to maybe visit Dimitri in the capital so he could attempt to court her. Can you tell me which supports are talking about marriage in their A supports for Three Houses?

In my first playthrough I've had Linhardt's back to back with Marianne and Lysithea. With Annette as well iirc.

To Marianne he tells that he'll dedicate his whole life to her, to Lysithea that he'd like to know her as family or something like that. Can't exactly remember with Annette, but iirc he mentions marriage.

Edited by timon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Maybe SPD could work something like move. Instead of being a regular stat, it's tied to classes. For example, Swordmasters have 5 speed, armours have 1. You need just 1 point if speed to double. Maybe this would make speed more broken, but classes with lower speed could be balanced more consistently around it. Add in a miniscule growth rate like Thracia's move and speed wings as the equivalent of boots and you suddenly have a very valuable stat. Which in practice wouldn't actually be all that different to how speed world now. This would also add more bulkyness to enemy units as even if they're weak, you can't double with two units of the same class (without additional stuff, Darting Stance and Blow would be super useful skills). Not sure how well it'd work but I'd like to see it tried in one game at least. Actually it wouldn't be that hard to implement in hacking. Maybe an experiment to try.

That completely neglects where evasion fits in to this system. So you'd have to rebalance skill, luck and weapon hit, and at that point, you might have just fundamentally changed the game.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I would just vastly strengthen the generic combat arts instead to sort of accomplish the same goal. Ignoring the ones that give extra range or effectiveness, allowing the simple "does extra damage" ones to reliably do double the damage of a normal swing would effectively eliminate the need to double. Felix can choose to do 2x30 normal swings or 1x50 combat art, and Raphael gets to do 1x60 combat art every turn.

Another possible tweak would be to make it so you can't be doubled on retaliation when using a combat art.

I would add an "artful counter ability" that allow you to use arts on Ep. Also, i would discard the durability cost in favour of a stamina/mp or limit break system.

8 hours ago, Hyper L said:

Well why would someone being only 4 points faster than someone else allow them to attack twice?

If we're gonna argue logic, needing to be twice as fast would make much more sense AND be way more balanced gamewise.

No, that doesn't make any sense. I don't need to physically move twice the speed you can to hit you twice. I just have to be fast enough to get over the speed of your reflexes that get you out of danger. Simply put, being faster means you can get more attacks in than you're opponent can. If someone is literally twice as fast as their opponent, then they would be virtually untouchable. While equating it to the jab vs power swing means units can literally do only one of those things. Plus in general it'd such to have a growth stat that is actively detrimental to you. It's a convoluted and illogical set up that's unnecessary compared to just deflating speed.

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Multiplicative works, or you can just have multiple ranks of the relevant Combat Arts, just like how we already have multiple ranks of the Prowess skills already where the old one is automatically replaced when you learn a new one.

Or just not having those combat arts available until such a point in which they'd be suitably useful and not broken.

1 hour ago, bethany81707 said:

That completely neglects where evasion fits in to this system. So you'd have to rebalance skill, luck and weapon hit, and at that point, you might have just fundamentally changed the game.

Hmm. True. I hadn't considered that. Though even if they did rebalance skill, luck and weapon hit, I don't think it would change the game so much that it'd stop feeling like Fire Emblem.

Edited by Jotari

I’m also hoping they keep the limited magic uses per battle system in future games, though preferably with a bit more flexibility: it’d be nice to have some degree of control over the spells your characters learn rather than each character having a fixed (and unknown, unless you consult the wiki) spell list decided at birth. I’m not saying any character should be able to learn any spell necessarily, but maybe being able to augment a character’s spell list with a tome or something that teaches them a new spell, or having them learn multiple spells when they improve their Reason/Faith skill and having a set number of “spell slots” into which you can assign spells they know, allowing for some customization.

Just a little more control over the process would be nice. The whole class system in Three Houses was about freedom of choice, I wish they’d applied that philosophy to the magic system a bit more. 

Ok, so what if the AS formula factored in your Def/Res instead of your Str/Mag?

So:

AS = Spd - (WT - Def/5)

Instead of:

AS = Spd - (WT - Str/5)

Having High Def implies you're bulkier.

Being bulkier implies you can lift more weight, and swing that weight with less effort as well.

And it makes more sense than someone scrawnier like Felix being able to overcome weight just as easily as Raphael, narratively speaking.

Edited by Hyper L

I wished Byleth talked and had some dialog.

After a flying or horse unit dismounts, it should not be allowed to remount till the battle ends.

Removing Chest & Gate Keys (to make Thief more needed), however there needs to be an alternate long path (or a Gate Key far away).

Add some missions that would really require a tank class, or make units adjacent to tanks unable to move and only able to attack the tank.

I would really like the return of marriage + child units (from FE:Awakening).

A new mechanic which lets you defend better based on how good your skill is of the attacker's weapon (e.g. I have improved my sword skill to B+, so I take less damage from opponents attacking me with swords; and I would take even less damage if I increased my skill to A).