What are some ideas for new mounts?

ZeManaphy

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

It was Ballistician, and I wasn't a fan of that version, as it looked like an awkward attempt at a Medieval Tank rather than, well, someone with a ballista. 

Also, my idea was someone riding on top of something mechanical, rather than sitting inside it. 

Fates also had the Mechanist class, which was them riding a clockwork puppet.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Fates also had the Mechanist class, which was them riding a clockwork puppet.

True. I meant something two-legged or no-legged, like a golem or a suit of armor, or possibly even one unit getting a piggy-back ride on another like the three Links in Tri Force Heroes. That last one was a joke suggestion, but I hope it helps illustrate what I'm getting at. 

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

C) Why in Earth would any of that matter to Fire Emblem anyway? Wyverns didn't exist in Europe and they're a staple of the series. And don't get me started about the practicality of having an unarmed dancer traipsing around the battlefield.

Read the OP I quoted. He refers to them in actual history

Undead mounts could give enemies like risen and terrors more versatility. Fates kinda had this already with malig knights, but it didn't really amount to much besides flavor text. It has about an equal chance of being generic or unique, but it would at least it would give some variety to the monster enemies. Heck, maybe a necromancer class of some sort could summon them for a temporary boost.

Shapeshifters acting as mounts while transformed could work as a mechanic in games with pair-up or something similar, and can be played for both humor and horror.

Other than that... honestly, every other idea I have is either too dependent on the games world to discuss in a general sense, or is some kind of joke. Giant lizard and spider mounts would be awesome, but they could also be jarring if they don't have any background with the world in question. On the other side, I could see unicorns working as an absurd Easter egg to give units that haven't S-supported yet (or are canonically virgins, if they want to go that route) a boost in strength, perhaps with the ability to do extra damage against monster units, but I have a hard time seeing them as a standard mount. A primitive bike could also work for an inventor character, but considering bicycles were invented in the 1800's, it might come off as a bit too anachronistic unless it's a new game + reward.

Usually i use unicorns in a very un-cute way when i write. They enhance the force of heavy cavalry charge by virtue of ha ing a second lance and being smart enought to realize when the barding are going to protect them from a spear wall. I loke a rhyno mount in D&D for the same purpose, but that's just because the special mount feature of the paladin fix the problems that make Rhynos impossible to tame IRL.

Edited by Flere210

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

It was Ballistician, and I wasn't a fan of that version, as it looked like an awkward attempt at a Medieval Tank rather than, well, someone with a ballista. 

Also, my idea was someone riding on top of something mechanical, rather than sitting inside it. 

As for wyverns, yes; they exist in European Mythology... sort of. Two-legged dragons appear frequently in Welsh Folklore, but they are referred to as dragons. Most things I've read have suggested that the name, "wyvern" and its distinction from "dragon" originates from heraldry (as in shield crests and coat-of-arms) rather than any particular myth or folklore. 

Ahh right. I always forget that class exists, since I always chose the Witch class over it. 

11 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Put a guy on a giant bee.

Now, this is the quality Ferdinand von Aegir promotion I subscribe for.

FE with giant insects (either as mounts, or as monster classes) is really interesting to think of. Maybe there could be 1x4 tile armored Millipedes, or Fireflies that attack with light magic?

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

FE with giant insects (either as mounts, or as monster classes) is really interesting to think of. Maybe there could be 1x4 tile armored Millipedes, or Fireflies that attack with light magic?

They're not insects but we did get giant spiders in the Sacred Stones.

Do you think we haven't seen them since to not scare away possible arachnophobes?

On 2/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

1 hour ago, Mylady said:

Yes please 😂😂😂 A muscled grumpy guy in a giant bee and everybody wonders why. 

It's a pony-sized bee.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:58 AM, whase said:

I would like to have seen playable monster units. Perhaps they could be tamed by being given food or having units with specific stats use special actions on them. I think that it would be really hot.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:58 AM, whase said:

Do you think we haven't seen them since to not scare away possible arachnophobes?

Giant Spiders you say? Those would be cool mounts... Though I must say; the idea of elite warriors riding giant spiders into battle sounds familiar...

Ah yes; that's where I remember it from! I loved this show as a kid, and, honestly, if the next Fire Emblem game had a character named Hunter (the name of the protagonist) who rides a spider into battle, it would really make my day. 

Y'know what'd be a cool mounted class?

Gator Knights.

Move through water, attack with water, and when you crit, the gator gets a bite in, too.

Honestly I could see Bayou Emblem (Voodoo mages, Zydeco bards, an actually good cooking system) being a fun aesthetic.

21 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Honestly I could see Bayou Emblem (Voodoo mages, Zydeco bards, an actually good cooking system) being a fun aesthetic.

Didn't we already do that? You know, with Corrin and all his incest options.