Western Release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light Announced

PeaceRibbon

Are fan translation patches on an emulator a perfectly decent way to enjoy Shadow Dragon without the need to buy this?
I imagine that's how plenty of people here played shadow dragon

I mean I would consider it but the timed release is just putting me off, I don't wanna be part of the problem with scummy business practices.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Shrow said:

Are fan translation patches on an emulator a perfectly decent way to enjoy Shadow Dragon without the need to buy this?

Yes. Personally, Shadow Dragon is overtaking FE6 as my favorite, (yes I know I have Three Houses listed as my favorite but that was for a bet that I lost) and even though it is simplistic and the earlygame bosses are annoying as hecc on Hard modes, it's great. (You probably will want to download a patch for SD so you can play the excellent prologue on Hard if you want a larger challenge, at least. I can get that for you, if you like.) FE1 probably isn't worth playing unless you want to go from that to SD so you can appreciate SD.

Thanks everyone for telling me when Gamestop had the preorder up (this is sarcasm since no one told me and I missed the preorder)!  My life sucks and I figure I will be forced to only get the download.  Don't even try to tell me anything I just want people to know I am MAD and no I will NOT be be buying this on ebay.  I should have known not to get my hopes up for any collector's edition coming in December.

Edit:  I was so mad about this my mom ended up staying up until 12 to see if she could get it for me, without telling me.  She even talked to Best Buy who said as of 6am this morning that they weren't taking preorders yet.  My mom then went to the closest Gamestop store this afternoon and was able to preorder it in the store for me.  I have the best mom and I wanted to put this info here for people that want to get the special edition, but like me missed the online preorders.  I am still a bit mad at the people here, though.  Next time someone askes for an @ when something comes out please be nice and @ them.  

Edited by EricaofRenais

On 10/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, Benice said:

Yes. Personally, Shadow Dragon is overtaking FE6 as my favorite, (yes I know I have Three Houses listed as my favorite but that was for a bet that I lost) and even though it is simplistic and the earlygame bosses are annoying as hecc on Hard modes, it's great. (You probably will want to download a patch for SD so you can play the excellent prologue on Hard if you want a larger challenge, at least. I can get that for you, if you like.) FE1 probably isn't worth playing unless you want to go from that to SD so you can appreciate SD.

Oh shoot bit of confusion here. When I said "Shadow Dragon" I was referring to Fe1 and not the DS remake.

I have played the DS game and it is a great game, I still have the cartridge if I wanted to play it more. That being said, Fe1's game play is different from the remake, also the first game in the series so I wanted to try it.
I was asking if the translation and emulation for Fe1 was a perfectly fine way to play the game. I'm not sure how effective the emulator or translations are.

To be clear I am not asking for links to roms or emulators since that violates the rules.

Edited by Shrow

Just now, Shrow said:

Oh shoot bit of confusion here. When I said "Shadow Dragon" I was referring to Fe1 and not the DS remake.

F

Just now, Shrow said:

was asking if the translation and emulation for Fe1 was a perfectly fine way to play the game. I'm not sure how effective the emulator or translations are.

I think so, yeah. As far as I'm aware, the translation patch is pretty good. I am not certain which one to use, though. Sorry!

Awesome that this is being done, the timed release thing is stupid but the actual concept of going back and translating this game is awesome. 

Not only have they gone back to localize but they added new features too, they actually put work into this. It's neat. I'll buy and play some of it as a novelty despite IMO the remakes are a way better way to experience the NES games. It's neat that they're doing this and I'll be glad to shell out $6 to support this in hopes they translate the other 5.

1 hour ago, Alertcircuit said:

Awesome that this is being done, the timed release thing is stupid but the actual concept of going back and translating this game is awesome. 

Not only have they gone back to localize but they added new features too, they actually put work into this. It's neat. I'll buy and play some of it as a novelty despite IMO the remakes are a way better way to experience the NES games. It's neat that they're doing this and I'll be glad to shell out $6 to support this in hopes they translate the other 5.

I recognize that avatar. Haven't seen it in years though. Where've you been?

On 10/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, Jotari said:

I recognize that avatar. Haven't seen it in years though. Where've you been?

Oh just chillin LOL. Hearing about FE1 localization has me on another Fire Emblem kick and I've been playing New Mystery. Love this series! And this site has so much useful info on it still. Glad to be back.

Edited by Alertcircuit

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so I am wondering something with release so close: How will they handle stuff that has been lost in other versions?

Will they keep Linde's original recruitment where MArth stops a slave trader from selling her? Will Mannu get the same line as in SD or will they translate the original and if so how with Salamand be translated? I bet there's more but those are the ones off the top of my head and that's a topic of interest for this title in particular imo.

38 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Alright, so I am wondering something with release so close: How will they handle stuff that has been lost in other versions?

Will they keep Linde's original recruitment where MArth stops a slave trader from selling her? Will Mannu get the same line as in SD or will they translate the original and if so how with Salamand be translated? I bet there's more but those are the ones off the top of my head and that's a topic of interest for this title in particular imo.

Don't really expect them to change Linde's recruitment, but the old names for the dragon tribes they might update to what's in current use. Then again the names were different in the original Japanese script too (I think), so they might just translate it whole sale. I'm really not expecting a super high level of effort here.

What are the main new features this version of the game will add besides the turn rewind mechanic? I'll probably get this game either way just because it'll be interesting to experience FE1 without the additions Shadow Dragon added, but it would be nice to see them add a few more minor additions just to give the game more bang for my buck. Stuff like UI & Trading upgrades would be really nice to see.

2 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

What are the main new features this version of the game will add besides the turn rewind mechanic? I'll probably get this game either way just because it'll be interesting to experience FE1 without the additions Shadow Dragon added, but it would be nice to see them add a few more minor additions just to give the game more bang for my buck. Stuff like UI & Trading upgrades would be really nice to see.

Save states and turbo mode if I recall correctly. The latter would be very much appreciated.