Common Misconceptions

Defeatist Elitist

"Ranged units don't need durability"

Yes, ranged units still need durability as much as the next person. The difference is that having range IMPROVES your durability.

I see people speak like this a lot, and the Micaiah thread prompted me to create this.

Ranged Units still need to be durable. No matter what, durability > no durability. The more durable you are, the more you can kill. It's just that by virtue of having range they are already more durable (especially 1~2 range d00ds).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that durability > no durability. But archers have less need of durability than, say, myrmidons, and most other classes that are usually 1 range fighters. The type of fighter the unit is determines how much they actually need good durability.

I agree that durability > no durability. But archers have less need of durability than, say, myrmidons, and most other classes that are usually 1 range fighters. The type of fighter the unit is determines how much they actually need good durability.

I disagree partially. While Archer's don't *need* that durability, not having it forces you to restrict their use. So you could say that about many melee units too. Again, an archer does have an inherent (partial) durability bonus from 2 range.

I disagree partially. While Archer's don't *need* that durability, not having it forces you to restrict their use. So you could say that about many melee units too. Again, an archer does have an inherent (partial) durability bonus from 2 range.

I'm not so sure I got exactly what you're saying, but I think I agree.

Archers don't get as much out of every point of HP/Def as other units, no, and neither do Dancers. But it's still much better to have some just in case...especially if you look at it from this angle - they're the most likely units to get attacked out of anyone if you give the enemy the choice.

Uh, some that grind my nerves:

- just because enemies in a game suck doesn't mean having 2 Str > having 1 Str (for example).

- people that come with x weapon do not automatically become better because of it

- caps hardly matter (besides maybe FE10)

- 20/20 hardly matters

- class stereotypes don't matter

- people that come with x weapon do not automatically become better because of it

lolyeah, I was wondering about that when someone argued in favour of Zihark that he came with a Killing Edge. To me, it meant that you needed to get him a normal sword so he doesn't burn through such a precious weapon unneededly.

The one annoying me is "all prepromotes suck/have superior folks of other classes". Man....my brother is a head throbbing pain with this one. He's all "Titania sucks, she is a Jeigan", always putting emphisis on the word Jeigan. Just because Raven has better stats than Harken doesn't mean Harken is bad! Just because Erk has (somewhat) better stats than Pent does not mean Pent sucks! Just because Lance and Alan have support and maybe stat advantages doesn't mean Percival sucks! Don't be discrimatory against already promoted folk! They can be your buddies!

The one annoying me is "all prepromotes suck/have superior folks of other classes". Man....my brother is a head throbbing pain with this one. He's all "Titania sucks, she is a Jeigan", always putting emphisis on the word Jeigan. Just because Raven has better stats than Harken doesn't mean Harken is bad! Just because Erk has (somewhat) better stats than Pent does not mean Pent sucks! Just because Lance and Alan have support and maybe stat advantages doesn't mean Percival sucks! Don't be discrimatory against already promoted folk! They can be your buddies!

I agree. Prepromotes need more love. Also...

Harken usually has better con, defense, luck, and resistance than Raven.

Pent usually has better con, magic, skill, luck, and defense than Erk.

Percival...well....yeah...HM bonuses and all that can make many of his stats better/as good as Alan's or Lance's.

That Rofl is anything above awful.

That annoying nicknames are annoying. Seriously, we've asked you at least 3 times, Destiny Hero has been asked to stop also. Can the nicknames stop?

- just because enemies in a game suck doesn't mean having 2 Str > having 1 Str (for example).

- caps hardly matter (besides maybe FE10)

- 20/20 hardly matters

- class stereotypes don't matter

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

This applies to Nino and plenty others, but having good stats for your base level is irrelevant. If your stats aren't allowing you to do that well against the enemies at the time, it detracts from your use. Makes sense :?

The problem with your argument there is that 'having good stats for your base level' and 'having bad stats for the time' are two fundamentally different points.

To take it to the extreme, if Nino had 1 in all non-HP stats when she joined she'd have bad stats for the time, and if she had 15 in all non-HP stats when she joined she'd have bad stats for the time, but apparently these two hypothetical Ninos are equivalent according to that view.

Of course having bad stats for the time detracts from your usefulness at the time. This holds true for any character in any situation, not just on joining.

That annoying nicknames are annoying. Seriously, we've asked you at least 3 times, Destiny Hero has been asked to stop also. Can the nicknames stop?

Fail Brigade umad?

Many support units are not as amazing as people think; refreshing only one unit is like just simply having another one instead. At least Herons have other abilities and they (except untransformed Reyson in both FE9 and 10) can make more than one move again. At least Nils and Ninian have rings that boost something. I don't know about the ones from FE1-5.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

The FE4 ones refresh 4 people at the same time. The FE5 one is bleh for a dancer, since she fatigues really quickly.

Tethys is still amazing, though has availability problems on Ephraim route. Still very good though. As Reikken usually puts it, letting your #1 unit move again > using unit #9 or whatever.

The problem with your argument there is that 'having good stats for your base level' and 'having bad stats for the time' are two fundamentally different points.
That's what I was trying to say.

Marth sucks because he can't promote seems like a pretty common misconception to me. Julian and Barts are often hailed as decent character despite their inability to promote, so there's no reason why Marth is automatically bad.

Another thing that bothers me is when people say "Character X sucks because Character Y is better" or something along those lines. Just because one character is the best doesn't mean that similar characters are bad. That's like saying Astrid sucks just because Oscar and Kieran are better.

Marth sucks because he can't promote seems like a pretty common misconception to me. Julian and Barts are often hailed as decent character despite their inability to promote, so there's no reason why Marth is automatically bad.

Another thing that bothers me is when people say "Character X sucks because Character Y is better" or something along those lines. Just because one character is the best doesn't mean that similar characters are bad. That's like saying Astrid sucks just because Oscar and Kieran are better.

Although it must be stated that a character is bad if most of the other characters in general are better than them. :P