Would you rather have?

ciphertul

12 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

You seem to keep taking it in extremes, take Trails of Cold Steel for an example. When you beat the game you get bonus points as a completion bonus you use those bonus point to carry certain things into new game plus but you neither lose those bonus point nor do you have to use them. New game plus shouldn't be forced if you don't want to use it.

I provided my answer. I'm not interested in "carrying over" things from one playthrough to the next. I am interested in beating the game unlocking new difficulties, maybe new chapters or characters, and even modes such as "Fixed Growths" or "Randomized Classes".

I think I would rather have post-game content to do rather than a new game plus, but I think it generally depends on how a FE game is structured. New game plus works well with Three Houses since there are multiple routes to choose from, and you can really max out your favorite units to their full potential in a particular run, whereas post-game content works well with a game like Shadows of Valentia since it's focused on a single story, so having something to put your units to the ultimate test after the main story would be neat and really give the player a big send-off or sense of completion.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Or else it feels like it's an integral part of the story which could and should have been part of the main campaign, in which case, why wasn't it?

because its not about the main antagonist anymore ala dragon emblem. i would say the fact that so many discussion in the past about "3H should show/explore this area" shows that people want to see gameplay reach that part too, but in case of main campaign, going there wont benefit greatly or just lesser option compared to the actual chapter battle we got. (unless FE suddenly become a dynamic campaign.. but they are a coward ) because going off-path still means there must have battle there in Dragon Emblem case. why would you take part in battle that less important when the big bad dragon still roam around.. hence you tackle it after main conflict solved.

closer (but not limited) to what Monolith done to Xenoblade definitive edition

too complicated? just think of it like side quest rather than main quest.

9 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

If it's just one save file ala Pokemon, then post-game stuff. 

that would be downgrade imo considering "permanent consequences". even GBA FE still gives 3 slot, just enough to make it doesnt automatically become iron-man run

9 hours ago, Benice said:

NG+ would be preferable for me in those types of games, whether it be allowing weirder things to happen in the gameplay or simply making it more difficult like in Souls games, changing the experience from route to route would really help me want to experience every route.

If there aren't a ton of routes, I think that a postgame would be neat. Even if it's fairly short and just following up on the characters and world instead of just having ending cards

more difficult, different placement. yay to official randomizer.

FE is definitely a series that makes me grow to hate ending cards. You turn the world upside-down just to solve the conflict? no matter, happily ever after with no grudge from a single person in the world 100% guaranteed.
also why i want a postgame

Edited by joevar

13 hours ago, ciphertul said:

take Trails of Cold Steel for an example.

I have been summoned, i see. XD

Anyways, on topic, i think i would prefer an extension of the latter. The former imo is usually something that should already be somewhere in the game, so i'm not sure why it would need to be "post game". Like how much can you put toward the player playing after they complete the main story? 

50 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I have been summoned, i see. XD

Anyways, on topic, i think i would prefer an extension of the latter. The former imo is usually something that should already be somewhere in the game, so i'm not sure why it would need to be "post game". Like how much can you put toward the player playing after they complete the main story? 

While I would normally agree with that, I think it only really works on game with more freedom. The FEs that are strictly linear have a harder time trying to add post game content into the main game.

I'm with Shanty on this one. Post game could be decent in some cases. Seeing how countries stabilize through some trial map-esque small campaign could be good as well. 
But mostly just give me completion bonuses that encourage replayability. FE10's secret characters, not a fan. Fixed growths mode, 0% growths mode etc, big fan. 
NG+ where you can carry ove ritems/points to get stuff quickly is just a way to cut out the tedium on subsequent playthroughs and if your NG+ is based around cutting away tedium, maybe the gameplay is not up to snuff.

"We made it so you can skip monastery stuff on NG+ with thse points" sounds like "We designed boring gameplay patterns and needed a way to skip those to secure replayability" in almost all instances to me.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, ciphertul said:

Would you rather have post game content or new game plus in the next main line FE? I doubt that both will happen so try to stick with one or the other.

Neither. I have never bothered with anything of the sort in any Fire Emblem game, unless you count unlockable difficulties. I don't consider that new game place, I consider that a reason to load a save from GameFAQs.