Alts need more variety.

FailWood

17 hours ago, Othin said:

Now I want to see Surtr twerking or doing a T-pose.

Speaking of improbable alts, I want to see Heroes do genderbend alts sometime, for the hell of it.

Hell yeah, first in line Naga, so we can see the Old Mystery version in all his glory.

4 hours ago, FailWood said:

I had a feeling you didn't read the others before.  I thought the first response from you was going to be one of those kinds where it's just contrarian for the sake of being so, but you came back to further explain yourself.

Apologies.  It's something I face plenty on forums.

well, i'm glad we managed to understand each other

15 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I too unironically love the genderbending idea! I've also thrown out an anti-Fallen banner, or rather a Switched Fates banner based on some Awakening fanart I saw once. Basically, the premise was what if Validar and Aversa were supporters of Naga while Emmeryn and Chrom were supporters of Grima?

I'd go for it (-if I actually played FEH, I don't dislike it, but mobile gaming doesn't suit my gaming habits). 

Flipping light/good to dark/evil and vice versa has some similarity to genderbend, in the sense that it leads one to think about what defines good, what defines evil, and what defines the person irrespective of alignment. How would Validar behave if his religious impulses were channeled into a less destructive cultic and more holy avenue?

Julius could probably go anti-Fallen/Switched Fates based on his whole "he was a sweet child before Manfroy gave him the evil tome" personality that we never got to actually see in Jugdral. Maybe a male Naga user if Julia got the Major Loptuous in this world, Julius would be adorned in some white Bragi priestly clothes, with a shawl thrown over his shoulders in a reference to his mother.

For Switched Fates in general I'll stick to Jugdral and add to this- Leif, "son" of Travant. No main Nova blood though, "Daddy" hates him for not inheriting the brand needed to use the weapon he stole.

15 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I've also wanted to see Timeskip versions of characters. Like, give me Timeskip Lucina or Timeskip Azura or even Timeskip Roy! Just characters who were a little younger when the series started as 5-10 years older.

Didn't Smash already do this? Roy in 4/Ultimate does not look 15 anymore.

I'd take this too. In part because as I get older IRL, I feel increasingly alienated from these majority 16-19 year olds and I hate the fact that I'm aging! It's so unfair!😭 Visually and as a person overall, many FE characters haven't finished growing during their games. How does aging change them, who do they remain the same? Yet again, I ask.

-Don't get the mistaken impression I think that deeply about genderbends, good & evil, or aging, it's more I like the opportunity to do so, even when I won't do it a whole lot in practice.😅

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

Hell yeah, first in line Naga, so we can see the Old Mystery version in all his glory.

I'm not sure Naga ever looked like that, or if it's entirely a human misunderstanding.

Although, Naga is very powerful, particularly since Awakening. Naga could probably incarnate as a biological male or biological female as desired. The freedom of their magical mastery is such that they could be cisgender female one day, and transgender female the next. And if they are left in a soul form, well souls don't have biological sex, and have some inherent malleability. Naga could "transcend" the concepts of biological sex and gender, or perhaps "omnisex" and "omnigender" would be the better terms to describe them. Modern humans can mess with their sex and gender to varying extents, but Naga could do it so freely that'd put our species to shame. Naga could be any sex, any gender, at any time, and could therefore be as interested or disinterested in the concepts as they pleased ATM, they could be anything anytime or nothing. It's a trait many fictional god-beings possess, in theory.

And to prove this point- Naga need an alt wherein each of the artworks shows a distinctly different body. Two voice actors even, who speaks is dependent on which artwork the line was intended to correspond to.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd go for it (-if I actually played FEH, I don't dislike it, but mobile gaming doesn't suit my gaming habits). 

Flipping light/good to dark/evil and vice versa has some similarity to genderbend, in the sense that it leads one to think about what defines good, what defines evil, and what defines the person irrespective of alignment. How would Validar behave if his religious impulses were channeled into a less destructive cultic and more holy avenue?

Julius could probably go anti-Fallen/Switched Fates based on his whole "he was a sweet child before Manfroy gave him the evil tome" personality that we never got to actually see in Jugdral. Maybe a male Naga user if Julia got the Major Loptuous in this world, Julius would be adorned in some white Bragi priestly clothes, with a shawl thrown over his shoulders in a reference to his mother.

For Switched Fates in general I'll stick to Jugdral and add to this- Leif, "son" of Travant. No main Nova blood though, "Daddy" hates him for not inheriting the brand needed to use the weapon he stole.

Didn't Smash already do this? Roy in 4/Ultimate does not look 15 anymore.

I'd actually really like a banner dedicated to Smash variations of charscters. Only issue is they'd all be sword infantry.

I'm not sure Naga ever looked like that, or if it's entirely a human misunderstanding.

For the purpose of a unit in Heroes I don't think that really matters.

Although, Naga is very powerful, particularly since Awakening. Naga could probably incarnate as a biological male or biological female as desired. The freedom of their magical mastery is such that they could be cisgender female one day, and transgender female the next. And if they are left in a soul form, well souls don't have biological sex, and have some inherent malleability. Naga could "transcend" the concepts of biological sex and gender, or perhaps "omnisex" and "omnigender" would be the better terms to describe them. Modern humans can mess with their sex and gender to varying extents, but Naga could do it so freely that'd put our species to shame. Naga could be any sex, any gender, at any time, and could therefore be as interested or disinterested in the concepts as they pleased ATM, they could be anything anytime or nothing. It's a trait many fictional god-beings possess, in theory.

And that's why I want to see a return to male Naga. A gender blending God is just a way more interesting concept than the generic benevolent goddess that Naga is without that aspect.

And to prove this point- Naga need an alt wherein each of the artworks shows a distinctly different body. Two voice actors even, who speaks is dependent on which artwork the line was intended to correspond to.

We had a pretty in dept discussion about Naga's gender somewhere recently. I can't remember where. But the question  of her gender was confusing for Japanese audiences too and contrary to popular belief male terms were used for her in the older games.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

We had a pretty in dept discussion about Naga's gender somewhere recently. I can't remember where. But the question  of her gender was confusing for Japanese audiences too and contrary to popular belief male terms were used for her in the older games.

Out of curiosity, do you know where those lines come from (game and chapter)?

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Out of curiosity, do you know where those lines come from (game and chapter)?

I can't remember. Some on else linked to it, along with a Japanese webpage talking about debate. We were talking about it off topic on an unrelated thread, but exactly which thread it was eluded me. The discussion went on for some time though so it wasn't entirely off topic. Probably a thread about dragons or women in fire emblem. It was probably like a month and a half ago or something. Does this ring any bells for anyone else?

EDIT @Ice Dragon Got it. We talked about it here

And the web page was from here

https://w.atwiki.jp/aniwotawiki/pages/36574.html

And the specific text from the Japanese fan base talking about Naga and the gendered terms come from this line

ただ紋章ではOPに出てくる姿が男な事と、神竜女王ではなく神竜王と呼ばれているので、父親の可能性が高いというくらいか。

because he is called the God Dragon King instead of the God Dragon Queen, it is highly likely that he is a father. 

Which on review I think might me more of a case of the Japanese fans saying "We assumed she was a man because she was called the God Monarch, and not specifically the God Queen, which one would expect if she were female" rather than the language being specifically male. But it does show there was some gender expectation of male in Japanese even if 王 can technically be used as gender neutral.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

And the web page was from here

https://w.atwiki.jp/aniwotawiki/pages/36574.html

And the specific text from the Japanese fan base talking about Naga and the gendered terms come from this line

because he is called the God Dragon King instead of the God Dragon Queen, it is highly likely that he is a father. 

Which on review I think might me more of a case of the Japanese fans saying "We assumed she was a man because she was called the God Monarch, and not specifically the God Queen, which one would expect if she were female" rather than the language being specifically male. But it does show there was some gender expectation of male in Japanese even if 王 can technically be used as gender neutral.

Coolio.

Here's the entire paragraph for context, in case anyone is interested:

ちなみに性別は作中で言及されておらず、チキの親とは言うが父親なのか母親なのかは定かではない。
しかしナーガの姿に初めて言及した聖戦では人間体は幼い少女の姿になっていたし、直接登場した覚醒でも女性の姿だったので女性の可能性も高い。
そしてヒーローズにて紋章ナーガと覚醒ナーガが同一人物となったので、女性でありチキの母親であったことが確定となった。

As an aside, Naga's gender is not mentioned within the source material. Though they are said to be Tiki's parent, it is not certain if they are her father or mother.
However, with their appearance in Mystery's OP being masculine and being called "神竜王" (shinryū-ō, gender-neutral "Divine Dragon King") instead of "神竜女王" (shinryū-joō, strictly feminine "Divine Dragon Queen"), the possibility that they are the father is high.
However, because Naga's appearance was first mentioned in Genealogy as having the human form of a young girl and their direct appearance in Awakening was in a female form, the possibility that they are female is also high.
Finally, with Heroes indicating that Naga from Mystery and Naga from Awakening are the same individual, it is conformed that she is Tiki's mother.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Coolio.

Here's the entire paragraph for context, in case anyone is interested:

ちなみに性別は作中で言及されておらず、チキの親とは言うが父親なのか母親なのかは定かではない。
しかしナーガの姿に初めて言及した聖戦では人間体は幼い少女の姿になっていたし、直接登場した覚醒でも女性の姿だったので女性の可能性も高い。
そしてヒーローズにて紋章ナーガと覚醒ナーガが同一人物となったので、女性でありチキの母親であったことが確定となった。

As an aside, Naga's gender is not mentioned within the source material. Though they are said to be Tiki's parent, it is not certain if they are her father or mother.
However, with their appearance in Mystery's OP being masculine and being called "神竜王" (shinryū-ō, gender-neutral "Divine Dragon King") instead of "神竜女王" (shinryū-joō, strictly feminine "Divine Dragon Queen"), the possibility that they are the father is high.
However, because Naga's appearance was first mentioned in Genealogy as having the human form of a young girl and their direct appearance in Awakening was in in a female form, the possibility that they are female is also high.
Finally, with Heroes indicating that Naga from Mystery and Naga from Awakening are the same individual, it is conformed that she is Tiki's mother.

I guess it's kind of like the word "actor" in English. It is gender neutral, but if you say it singular in isolation, a lot of people will default to male (if a gender needs to be assumed) because the more specific term actress exists.