New Castlevania Show Spinoff Teaser

indigoasis

So the first four seasons of Castlevania on Netflix concluded fairly well, and seemed like a nice bookend to the series. However, it was announced a little after Season 4 ended that a spinoff featuring Richter Belmont and Maria Renard would be in the works, and we've finally gotten a little teaser for the new series, which will be called "Castlevania: Nocturne" (which is an awesome subtitle and a neat little callback to Nocturne of Recollection, a Castlevania audio drama that takes place after Symphony of the Night).

While it might seem a bit odd to skip straight to Richter, it's definitely understandable why since Christopher, Simon, and Juste don't really have much in the way of character interactions to work with since they were more or less on their own during their respective adventures. I do hope that they at least show or address what Richter's ancestors did in the time between Season 4 and this new show. I would love to see their designs.

Anyway, I'm hyped to see this!

Simon could have had a movie.

But hey, it's Richtime boyyy. Wonder if this'll be just Rondo or if we'll also get Symphony and thus the return of Alucard. And on top of that if we get any particular deviation from the games, with how it affects the Belmonts in those.

The description mentions Symphony, so that's something.

When Castlevania began, I figured that spinoffs/sequels about Trevor's descendants would be inevitable. Then season 4 ended the way it did, with Dracula and his wife alive again and with the other main villain: Death, ironically dead (they even rewrote him as an elemental spirit rather than an embodiment of death in order to make him killable), and I figured, "Never mind then; I guess they really want it to end".

Of course, the obvious answer for them making more Castlevania would be that it was well-received and very popular, and Netflix is desperate for any reason to renew people's interest right now; it's a matter of money.

My question is: will this follow the show's canon, or the games' canon? I ask because, with how Castlevania ended, I cannot see the events of Sympathy of the Night happening within the same timeline as the show; Dracula got his wife back so he can't still be angry at humanity over her execution, anyone who would want to make Dracula a villain again is dead, and Death: the one who brainwashes Richter in Sympathy of the Night, is dead.

15 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

When Castlevania began, I figured that spinoffs/sequels about Trevor's descendants would be inevitable. Then season 4 ended the way it did, with Dracula and his wife alive again and with the other main villain: Death, ironically dead (they even rewrote him as an elemental spirit rather than an embodiment of death in order to make him killable), and I figured, "Never mind then; I guess they really want it to end".

Of course, the obvious answer for them making more Castlevania would be that it was well-received and very popular, and Netflix is desperate for any reason to renew people's interest right now; it's a matter of money.

My question is: will this follow the show's canon, or the games' canon? I ask because, with how Castlevania ended, I cannot see the events of Sympathy of the Night happening within the same timeline as the show; Dracula got his wife back so he can't still be angry at humanity over her execution, anyone who would want to make Dracula a villain again is dead, and Death: the one who brainwashes Richter in Sympathy of the Night, is dead.

There's always Orlox. He did showed up in SotN, and the novel that serves as a sequel to Dawn of Sorrow already sets precedent he wanted to succeed Dracula.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

There's always Orlox. He did showed up in SotN, and the novel that serves as a sequel to Dawn of Sorrow already sets precedent he wanted to succeed Dracula.

Who is Orlox? I must admit that I'm not very familiar with Castlevania lore (I haven't actually played any of the games; I just read about them around the time season 1 of the show released).

Just now, vanguard333 said:

Who is Orlox? I must admit that I'm not very familiar with Castlevania lore (I haven't actually played any of the games; I just read about them around the time season 1 of the show released).

Joke Answer:

Nosferatu Spongebob GIF - Nosferatu Spongebob Lightswitch - Descubre &  Comparte GIFs

As in, yes, he's based on that Count Orlock. Orlox might even be a mistranslation. Anyway, Orlox was a boss in SotN, in the area aptly named Orlox's Quarters. There wasn't much to him there. Then in the Sorrow games there was the piece of equipment, Orlox's Suit, that Soma could equip.

Finally, his time in the spotlight was in Akumajō Dracula: Kabuchi no Tsuisoukyoku, a novel that takes pace one year after Dawn of Sorrow. The plot is that Orlox is now the one wanting to conquer the world and take over Chaos. He's stopped by the protagonist of the novel, who is Julius' apprentice.

So... I could see it believable that, should Dracula not be the main antagonist, that it could be Orlox the one now causing trouble.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As in, yes, he's based on that Count Orlock. Orlox might even be a mistranslation. Anyway, Orlox was a boss in SotN, in the area aptly named Orlox's Quarters. There wasn't much to him there. Then in the Sorrow games there was the piece of equipment, Orlox's Suit, that Soma could equip.

Finally, his time in the spotlight was in Akumajō Dracula: Kabuchi no Tsuisoukyoku, a novel that takes pace one year after Dawn of Sorrow. The plot is that Orlox is now the one wanting to conquer the world and take over Chaos. He's stopped by the protagonist of the novel, who is Julius' apprentice.

So... I could see it believable that, should Dracula not be the main antagonist, that it could be Orlox the one now causing trouble.

I see. Thanks for the info.

I could maybe see that. My question then would be this: is he enough of a threat to be able to effectively essentially replace the role that Dracula and Death had?

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. Thanks for the info.

I could maybe see that. My question then would be this: is he enough of a threat to be able to effectively essentially replace the role that Dracula and Death had?

Admittedly, I don't really know the details of the novel, since it's Japan only, so I can't really say how he was portrayed there. But as it is, if it worked for the novel, it could work for this. I mean, there could be a parallelism. Since it sounds Dracula and his wife are not that far off to how the Sorrow games ended when it came to Soma and Mina.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

23 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Look at hiiiiiiiiiim! Ahem. I don't care what anyone says, I'm calling it Season 5, and I am ready.

I can already tell Richter is gonna have a fantastic design, being a cross between Trevor and Sypha with his outfit being a mish-mash of Dracula X Chronicles and Symphony of the Night. I'm interested to see how Maria and possibly Annette will look, too.

Also, I honestly see no reason why it wouldn't be Season 5. It's still the same show made by the same people, just with a subtitle added to differentiate it from the prior seasons.

21 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

It'll happen within the show's canon most likely, and take inspiration from the time period Richter was alive in and the games he appeared in. As for potential antagonists, Shaft is a big contender. He was the one who brought Dracula back in Rondo of Blood and brainwashed Richter in SotN as an evil spirit, so he could totally do that and make Alucard come back, which could allow for an adaptation of RoB and SotN to take place.

If they do decide to bring Dracula back, one way I can think of for that and the Belmonts prior to Richter making a cameo...

Spoiler

...would be if Lisa lived out the rest of her days with Dracula, ultimately dying of old age. With whatever magic and knowledge Dracula has to share with her, she could live fairly well up until Christopher's time. Once she passes away, Dracula would probably be butthurt that humans have such pathetic lifespans and give resurrecting her a shot. Alucard would probably taking his 300 year nap somewhere, and so Dracula takes back control of Castlevania for the tools he needs. Christopher learns about Dracula's return (even though he should have totally been dead from what his family knew), and reluctantly goes to confront the Count.

Christopher goes to kick Dracula's ass for being alive and selfish and old and stupid, and he defeats him. Little does he know that he kinda didn't kill him the way he was supposed to, so Dracula hides out for 15 years, swearing revenge against the Belmonts for interrupting him or something. From there, events could follow Belmont's Revenge, with Dracula actually dying this time, and then 100 years later, some random cultist dudes give resurrecting Dracula a shot, and so it would be up to Simon to take him out. It wouldn't be hard to get that exposition to lead up to Richter.

That's just one idea to bring Dracula back while also bringing it in line with the games to an extent. I doubt that's what will happen considering how shafted Hector was, but it'd be neat. Regardless, I really want to see how Season 4 leads up to Nocturne/Season 5.

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

It'll happen within the show's canon most likely, and take inspiration from the time period Richter was alive in and the games he appeared in. As for potential antagonists, Shaft is a big contender. He was the one who brought Dracula back in Rondo of Blood and brainwashed Richter in SotN as an evil spirit, so he could totally do that and make Alucard come back, which could allow for an adaptation of RoB and SotN to take place.

If they do decide to bring Dracula back, one way I can think of for that and the Belmonts prior to Richter making a cameo...

Reveal hidden contents

...would be if Lisa lived out the rest of her days with Dracula, ultimately dying of old age. With whatever magic and knowledge Dracula has to share with her, she could live fairly well up until Christopher's time. Once she passes away, Dracula would probably be butthurt that humans have such pathetic lifespans and give resurrecting her a shot. Alucard would probably taking his 300 year nap somewhere, and so Dracula takes back control of Castlevania for the tools he needs. Christopher learns about Dracula's return (even though he should have totally been dead from what his family knew), and reluctantly goes to confront the Count.

Christopher goes to kick Dracula's ass for being alive and selfish and old and stupid, and he defeats him. Little does he know that he kinda didn't kill him the way he was supposed to, so Dracula hides out for 15 years, swearing revenge against the Belmonts for interrupting him or something. From there, events could follow Belmont's Revenge, with Dracula actually dying this time, and then 100 years later, some random cultist dudes give resurrecting Dracula a shot, and so it would be up to Simon to take him out. It wouldn't be hard to get that exposition to lead up to Richter.

That's just one idea to bring Dracula back while also bringing it in line with the games to an extent. I doubt that's what will happen considering how shafted Hector was, but it'd be neat. Regardless, I really want to see how Season 4 leads up to Nocturne/Season 5.

I suppose that using Shaft could work. Still, there is so much that they'd have to explain.

Yeah; I was really disappointed with how Hector was handled. I haven't played any of the games, but I knew that Hector is the protagonist of his own game set after Trevor Belmont's game, and that he worked for Dracula before betraying him for moral reasons and then had to stop Isaac from reviving Dracula, so when I saw him in the trailer for season 2, I was interested in seeing all that play out; seeing him torn between his morals and his friendship with Dracula until it reaches the breaking point and he betrays Dracula. They seemed to be setting it up, with episode 1 giving his backstory with his family and having it be just like in the game, as well a later flashback showing him pleading with Dracula to try to consider something more merciful than killing all of humanity, and then... the season just had him get tricked by Camilla and beaten to a pulp, he spent all of season 3 being imprisoned and continuing to be betrayed, and while season 4 tried to correct things, it was too little too late, and they wrote it that he, and not Isaac, was the one wanting to revive Dracula. That was really disappointing.

6 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Also, I honestly see no reason why it wouldn't be Season 5. It's still the same show made by the same people, just with a subtitle added to differentiate it from the prior seasons.

Nah this is smart. If you hear that a show you're not watching is getting a new season, your brain doesn't even register that information. But if you hear there's a new series you immediately understand there's no homework required to enjoy it. 

12 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Nah this is smart. If you hear that a show you're not watching is getting a new season, your brain doesn't even register that information. But if you hear there's a new series you immediately understand there's no homework required to enjoy it. 

That's a good point. For fans of the series, it's a continuation of the prior seasons, but for newcomers, it's a nice point to get into it without any prior commitment.