"Character X is such a missed opportunity" - STFU, you story inflating would-be cancer, your favorite arrangement of pixels or polygons not getting your desired amount of content because they arenยดt the main character doesnยดt make them a missed opportunity, but puts them in their place as a side piece. Stay in your lane, sidekick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TheClassic said:

I think 2D Mario games are boring.

I don't think they're bad or anything, but I haven't been able to have any fun while playing any of them, let alone a shred of interest.

I don't much care for 2D Mario games either.

ย 

On 3/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

"Character X is such a missed opportunity" - STFU, you story inflating would-be cancer, your favorite arrangement of pixels or polygons not getting your desired amount of content because they arenยดt the main character doesnยดt make them a missed opportunity, but puts them in their place as a side piece. Stay in your lane, sidekick.

Nah. You're flat wrong. The protagonist is almost never the most interesting character.

4 hours ago, TheClassic said:

I don't think they're bad or anything, but I haven't been able to have any fun while playing any of them, let alone a shred of interest.

Yeah; I enjoyed the one on the Wii overall, but I'm not a fan.

Speaking of 2D Mario, I recently 100% completed the Mario vs Donkey Kong remake, which I bought mainly because I like puzzle-platformers and I needed a game that I could play in very small amounts. I ended up liking it more when its levels placed more emphasis on the "puzzle" part of "puzzle-platformer", and I liked it less when it was placing more emphasis on the "platformer" part.

Short version: overall, it was good, but I definitely prefer Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

49 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Nah. You're flat wrong. The protagonist is almost never the most interesting character.

he's wrong in that it's super inflammatory for absolutely no reason, but he's not wrong in that people leap quickly and often to "x character got done dirty" in the only piece of fiction they have ever existed in, because it's such a silly thing to say - a missed opportunity compared to the other version of the character you concocted? it's a weirdly prevalent criticism for how baseless it is

on the flip side that's a really silly opinion to hold, tons of competently written games have interesting protagonists, and holding the games that deliberately don't have them like every single nintendo game and just cause in the calculus that leads to "almost never" is just disingenuous

e: i guess this is your unpopular game opinion and you're actually postin' correctly. damn.

Edited by Integrity

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I don't think that "2D Mario" is a single coherent group of games that it makes sense to talk about collectively. I'd split them up into at least three different groups which are sufficiently different in how they play. First, you've got the classic Mario games released between 1985 and 1992: Bros, Bros 2 (both versions), Bros 3, World, Land, and Land 2. Then there's the New Super Mario Bros (NSMB) games released between 2006 and 2012: NSMB, NSMB Wii, NSMB 2, and NSMB U. And then finally, there's the two Mario Maker games released in 2015 and 2019. These three groups feel different enough to me that I don't see the benefit of trying to group them together. (There's also Mario Wonder, but I haven't played that yet, so I don't know where it would be classified.)

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

he's wrong in that it's super inflammatory for absolutely no reason, but he's not wrong in that people leap quickly and often to "x character got done dirty" in the only piece of fiction they have ever existed in, because it's such a silly thing to say - a missed opportunity compared to the other version of the character you concocted? it's a weirdly prevalent criticism for how baseless it is

on the flip side that's a really silly opinion to hold, tons of competently written games have interesting protagonists, and holding the games that deliberately don't have them like every single nintendo game and just cause in the calculus that leads to "almost never" is just disingenuous

e: i guess this is your unpopular game opinion and you're actually postin' correctly. damn.

i look forward to seeing your comments on balthier, ashe and vaan in the eventual ff12 review. curious!

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

i look forward to seeing your comments on balthier, ashe and vaan in the eventual ff12 review. curious!

you're going to be sickened because i think vaan rules lol

6 minutes ago, Integrity said:

you're going to be sickened because i think vaan rules lol

now the real hot takes are popping off in the thread frfr

13 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Nah chief, for that ainยดt what Iยดm blabbering about as the Big Boss above has pointed out and 2) itยดs dumb as fuck. The reason you think side characters are more interesting (probably, the fuck I know ยดbout you) is cuz you donยดt get the game world shown from their perspective so you have something to wonder about, while you most likely see exactly and know more about the MC, hence less room for interpretation, thus seemingly interesting. Not to mention the shit habit of trying for some kind of self insert as a MC.

15 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The protagonist is almost never the most interesting character.

Spoken like someone who has invested alot of time into the CS arc of Trails! XD

20 hours ago, TheClassic said:

For me comparing 2D Mario to Tropical Freeze certainly wasn't in Mario's favor. Freeze was like a festival of originality and fun while Mario mostly went through the motions. It made me lower my opinion on 2d MArio in general.ย 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

44 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Spoken like someone who has invested alot of time into the CS arc of Trails! XD

Rean really is just Diet Joshua. Oh look, another dark haired swordsman with a tragic backstory, a white-haired rival, and a hidden power who attracts every woman he sees, including his adoptive sister.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For me comparing 2D Mario to Tropical Freeze certainly wasn't in Mario's favor. Freeze was like a festival of originality and fun while Mario mostly went through the motions. It made me lower my opinion on 2d MArio in general.ย 

Now that you mention it, Donkey Kong platformers always did seem to have a little more soul in them. But that might just be because David Wise's music is pure, unadulterated vibes.

Donkey Kong Country has always been more mediocre than good. Tropical Freeze is the best the DKC series has ever been and it still doesn't beat the majority of Mario games, or games from other platformers like Crash, Spyro, Banjo, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

so in the last few years we've been seeing a lot of outrage over the hollow knight sequel not coming out. And It has definitely stopped being cute. Stop harassing these three guys who made a hit game. My unpopular opinion is that a ton of great indie games have come out since 2017 and those people should expand their gosh darned frying pan. Maybe discover that there's more to life than a 2D Soulslike. When it does come out, and is perfectly fine like the original game was, these same "fans" are going to tear it apart over unrealistic expectations and I see it coming a mile away. And don't get me started on the performative outrage Woke-a-phobia. Let Needle Girl have her implied girlfriend. No one cares.

A week ago Pepper Grinder came out. Same $15USD price point as hollow knight. Can already recommend it more. I shouldn't suggest a 'Play More Games' without dropping at least one suggestion. There's also Minishoot Adventures. Trust me that it is way better than its lame name. Same price point, same fresh out of the oven smell because it's two days old.

4 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

so in the last few years we've been seeing a lot of outrage over the hollow knight sequel not coming out. And It has definitely stopped being cute. Stop harassing these three guys who made a hit game. My unpopular opinion is that a ton of great indie games have come out since 2017 and those people should expand their gosh darned frying pan. Maybe discover that there's more to life than a 2D Soulslike. When it does come out, and is perfectly fine like the original game was, these same "fans" are going to tear it apart over unrealistic expectations and I see it coming a mile away. And don't get me started on the performative outrage Woke-a-phobia. Let Needle Girl have her implied girlfriend. No one cares.

A week ago Pepper Grinder came out. Same $15USD price point as hollow knight. Can already recommend it more. I shouldn't suggest a 'Play More Games' without dropping at least one suggestion. There's also Minishoot Adventures. Trust me that it is way better than its lame name. Same price point, same fresh out of the oven smell because it's two days old.

I don't feel that "don't harass indie devs" is actually an unpopular opinion unless you're speaking to 4-chan.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't feel that "don't harass indie devs" is actually an unpopular opinion unless you're speaking to 4-chan.

It's not. But it is the context that precedes me saying "My unpopular opinion is..."

On 3/17/2024 at 4:39 AM, TheClassic said:

Oh don't get me started on how Smash Melee and a number of Mario games after that greatly lowered my opinions on at least two characters from that series, my opinion on the franchise as a whole, and my opinion on a particular producer from that office whose retirement is overdue.

Edited by henrymidfields