The Game Awards 2022 (Dec 8th) Hype/Discussion Thread

Zapp Branniglenn

It's the most wonderful time of the year once again where Geoff Keighley brings us more trailers and world premieres of video games. The only game awards show that has EARNED its "The" in the title. Suck it, Haters. The Game Awards can be watched on Youtube or Twitch, and begins airing its Pre-Show at 4:30 PM PST. As for the Actual Awards, you can look at the nominees here. There is still time to vote for your picks too. 

Is there any game you'd like to see trailers of? Last Year they announced Alan Wake 2, and I'm anxious to see just what the heck that would even be. Games that are confirmed to make an appearance include Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Baldur's Gate 3, Tekken 8, and apparently some presentation from the producer of Final Fantasy 16. 

I would also like to point out that Valve is giving away free Steam Decks every minute of The Game Awards, so if you've got a Steam account, make sure you opt in for that and watch The Game Awards through Steam for a chance to win one of those if you want it.

Anyway, I'm definitely hopeful for some Zelda news, even if it's another delay. Literally anything. Please.

And Final Fantasy XVI? Sign me up.

I'm also very hopeful for Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I haven't played it myself yet, but considering the series' track record, I'm confident it'll win something, at least.

When it comes to the actual rewards, The Game Awards is a bigger joke than the Oscars, so I'm just hoping for a decent laugh in that regard.

As for presentations, there'll probably be something FF16-related. That would be fun to see, but I'm probably just going to watch just that presentation on its own and not watch the actual game awards itself.

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

Anyway, I'm definitely hopeful for some Zelda news, even if it's another delay. Literally anything. Please.

If there is more Zelda news at the game awards, I wonder if it will somehow find a way to be extremely-poorly timed like the last Zelda announcement.

I do predict that we might get to see some Nintendo news and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 wins the Game of the Year award.

Also, I did signed up for the giveaway for the Steam Deck. I am going to watch it on the Steam website.

It's already confirmed that we will have news on Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, Baldur's Gate 3 and Dragon Age 4 so it's already hype for me.

Props if we get to see Dragon's Dogma 2 or stuff about Capcom's Pragmata project.

7 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Here's my bingo card if anyone's interested.

Solid bingo card but only time will tell.

Too bad, it's at 1 AM in my timezone and on a weekday to boot.

These things are rigged beyond belief and I would be surprised if the highest bidder wouldn't win most everything. Also, I just think the concept of these awards is kind of a sham, like the Academy Awards. Why are we giving an objective thing such as a 'game of the year award' to something so subjective as how much you enjoyed a video game? For someone, the best game of the year will be Elden Ring. For the person next door, their best game of the year might be AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative. Trying to objectively rank games in this awards ceremony takes away from what video games are supposed to be, in my opinion. I've only played 1 of the 6 nominees for GOTY this year, but I honestly couldn't care less which game wins. 

As for announcements, I can't imagine anything major showing up that I would be interested in, especially after being disappointed the last few years. Certainly not something i'm staying up for. But i'll be pleasantly surprised if something Mario-related shows up. I've been dying for something new.

Nah, The Game Awards rock, they're starting off with Castlevania stuff, let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

Yeah, it's just a crossover, but any Castlevania news is honestly a Godsend.

edit: nvm, game awards are rigged, xenoblade was robbed

yo, what did that kid say, lol

Edited by indigoasis

I did not expect a new Transformers game. I'm actually kinda excited for that; I grew up with Transformers, so I'll definitely be looking forward to that. And FFXVI. And Tears of the Kingdom. Man, there's getting to be too much to keep track of.

16 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Man what happened during the GOTY speech with that kid? Did Miyazaki get Invaded???

Oh, this too..

Edited by indigoasis

3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

They should have called it Babynetta.

Spoiler

It's takes place between Bayonetta 1 young Cereza's timeline after OG Bayonetta brought her back and Bayonetta 3. She is still a little bit grown after Bayonetta 1 since she pretty much have the getting the same hairstyle as B3 Bayonetta.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that we managed to get announcement of the Expansion Pass for Fire Emblem Engage in The Game Awards today. And even showcase the new footages of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor looked really awesome as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

Excited for EarthbladeCeleste is probably a "top 5" game of all-time for me, and I have a lot of confidence in the developers. Lena Raine, in particular, is a soundtrack titan.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm really hoping for a Crash Bandicoot announcement of some kind, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Tekken 8.

Thoughts on Crash Team Rumble? Right now, I kinda hate that "CTR" is becoming an ambiguous acronym.

Well, I think it was objectively an amazing slate of announcements. Like, one of the best years they've ever had, maybe the best.

But I find myself in the somewhat unique position of being able to say all that looks great, but nothing really leapt out as being for me. Nothing we didn't already know about anyway. I was already excited for Suicide Squad, Diablo 4, and FF16, and I'm still excited. But the show didn't add anything new to my wishlist.

Well, I was correct about FF16 news at the game awards, though that was a rather easy guess. Yoshi-P appearing at the game awards was really cool.

I avoided actually watching the Game Awards presentation; instead, I merely waited to see the game trailers afterward and see the biggest jokes made afterward about whatever dumb thing the Game Awards did this time, so I was quite shocked to see the biggest stories not being about anything The Game Awards itself did, but about how someone managed to get on stage at The Game Awards without anyone noticing. I'm guessing that they're going to tighten security at The Game Awards 2023.

Going back to game trailers, none of the ones that interested me were for anything I didn't already know about or wasn't already looking forward to. And, sadly, one trailer at the Game Awards for something I was hoping to get had to do something that me no longer nearly as interested in the game:

The Fire Emblem Engage trailer could've easily just shown off more gameplay and cutscenes like FF16's did, or it could've even shown off the remaining emblems that are in the main game. Instead, it had to show off already-finished DLC a month before the game's release, with said DLC going to release within the same month as the base game. Whenever a company does this, said DLC is always something that was going to be in the main game but got removed from the main game so they could charge extra for it as DLC. So now, instead of looking forward to a finished FE game and wondering if there will be extra content down the line, I know know that if I buy it, I will be spending full price on a butchered game. Thank you, Nintendo, for deflating my interest in the next FE game.

It doesn't help that the DLC is for the House Leaders, when I'm someone who personally would've preferred Edelgard be Three Houses' emblem over Byleth. It's rather irritating to now know that she was going to be in the main game and got surgically removed from the game before release so they could charge extra.

Funny that, even though I don't see the awards themselves as relevant and don't get angered by them as a result, The Game Awards still found a way to make me upset.

God of War Ragnarok winning best music and beating out Xenoblade confuses me a lot. I'd definitely think Ragnarok deserves to take some award home but music just isn't one of them. The soundtrack is all very fine but there's hardly any song or tune I find particularly noteworthy. 

The music award seems to fit in the stereotype of the Game Awards just going to the biggest name with the biggest marketing budget rather than the title that would really win the award.

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

God of War Ragnarok winning best music and beating out Xenoblade confuses me a lot. I'd definitely think Ragnarok deserves to take some award home but music just isn't one of them. The soundtrack is all very fine but there's hardly any song or tune I find particularly noteworthy. 

The music award seems to fit in the stereotype of the Game Awards just going to the biggest name with the biggest marketing budget rather than the title that would really win the award.

TGA's snubbing JRPGs and "J-pop" is nothing new though.

Also, it was pretty funny that Geoff called out Sonic fans for cheating on the Player's Voice, but didn't also acknowledge that Genshin (and other mobile games) literally bribe their players into voting for them so consistently that they (correctly) assume they'll be rewarded for winning even if they don't offer. Frankly, gacha games should be disqualified from these things on that principal.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier