Opinion About The New Weapon Triangle

weapon triangle  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the weapon triangle in Engage?

• very much
    • a bit
    • indifferent
    • not really
    • not at all
  2. 2. What kind of weapon triangle do you favour?

• 20% evasion (Genealogy Of The Holy War)
    • 10% evasion + -1 damage (GBA, Tellius)
    • breaker skills (Three Houses)
    • foe can't counterattack (Engage)
    • I don't like / want weapon triangle

I haven't played much of Engage yet (chapter six), so I might not be correct in all, but so far as for my observations, the weapon triangle only works in player phase.

The triangle is still the same, but it has a different function. Attacking the opponent with the weapon disadvantage doesn't allow them the counterattack.

In previous games (until Fates) having advantage gives a 10/20 % accuracy boost and a very slight damage reduction. 

In Three Houses weapon triangle only started to exist im midgame by learning breaker skills.

The thing is that the weapon triangle didn't do much for certain weapons / classes Imo. Even despite having weapon advantage boost lances still had a hard time to face swords in Three Houses, so attacking with range weapons was definitely the safer choice. 

Not having the issue in Engage anymore definitely makes some things easier, but it also doesn't disqualify classes with a high evasion because of the removed evasion boosts for having weapon advantage in this game. 

The counterside I would see is that tanking is no much of a deal anymore because of the removed evasion, so the game tends to be a player phase orientated game.

Still since I'm not very far in this game yet, it might be too early to judge.

However my first impression of the new weapon triangle is that it's quite interesting and opens up a new form of playstyle => being more offensive

Anyways what are your thoughts?

I haven't yet played older triangles(played only 3h, awakening and SoV before Engage), but I really like triangle in Engage. It doesn't dominate the game as I was afraid when I first heard about it, but adds nice tactical depth - you definitely want to have colour advantage is it allows to do 2hKO without getting damaged, but in many situations you may ignore if you have other priorities.

I haven't played maddening yet, but on hard enemy phase strategies are fine. Def tanks are very powerful from the very beginning and you could build and use avoidance tanks as early as Chapter 7. Also new "great" weapons promote player phase tanking. I am actively using "If the unit initiates combat, grants Avo+15 during combat." which was a very weak skill before.

I've played old FE and at first I was a bit lost with this new triangle. Having no advantage in damages or evasion is strange, but we didn't have a triangle in Three House. Sooo

This new triangle is really interesting. It forces you to consider which unit to pu in front of enemies for the enemy phase. Since it's not a great penalty to have a disadvantage, it is bothersome to not counter-attack.

But this triangle is perfect with the fragile/weak unit. You break the foe and then your weaks can come closer and attack without fearing a counter. Good for leveling.

My "problem" is with the Armor. They're great with unbreakable, but then, having the advantage of weapon doesn't mean anything with them. You have to either brute force them, use an effective weapon or magic. Doesn't matter for it being with a sword, lance or axe. (But it's not really a problem in fact, you just have to be careful for the enemy phase).

I really like this new triangle idea. I will say I do miss the old buffs, for which I believe Awakening did it best (advantage buffs depending on weapon ranks). But the new triangle adds a really interesting layer of strategy, and I hope it returns in some shape or form for future games. (Preferably a combination of Awakening and Engage triangles.)

Now off to experiment with this for my FE D&D system~

Feels odd on defense where advantage doesn't matter. Defending against an axe with a sword, defending against another sword -- doesn't matter as long as it's not a lance.
On offense though, the break system opens up a lot, letting you do a lot of things that would normally be unsafe and I really like it.

7 hours ago, Hiroki said:

My "problem" is with the Armor. They're great with unbreakable, but then, having the advantage of weapon doesn't mean anything with them. You have to either brute force them, use an effective weapon or magic. Doesn't matter for it being with a sword, lance or axe. (But it's not really a problem in fact, you just have to be careful for the enemy phase).

I mean, it kind of is relevant what weapon you attack Armor with, since after your turn he will get an apportunity to attack you back, and so do the rets of enemy units. So you probably want to attack Sword Armor with sword if there are axes around, and with lance if there are swords or lances around, but never with axe since he may attack you back unless you kill him.

Edited by szechuan

7 hours ago, Hiroki said:

they are immune to triangle but apparently not to break. you can still break them via smash to the wall or other foe afaik. smash weapon are good for & against armor. with very high def, armor unit might as well go with highest atk weap like smash wp to deal high dmg. against armor , it can be used to break them

Edited by joevar

It's... an interesting system. I like it a bit so far. Not in love with it. The "Break" mechanic is something to keep in mind, but depending on how you play, you might not actually be in a situation where you're fearing a counter-attack. Likewise, if I get "broken" on enemy phase, it's... not great, but in most cases, I can just kill whoever attacked me in the next player phase. Of course, it might take an extra unit to do so, and they could've been doing something else... so there's that.

My gut feeling is that it's a neat innovation, but I do think a modest hit modifier (say, +/-10) could've had synergy with it. After all, a "break" is only good if the hit actually lands. Still, I don't know all the skills and details that might interact with the triangle, so I will play to the end before coming to any real verdict.