Nintendo Direct confirmed for 2/8/23

Perkilator

Well for my friend and I it was a fun time. Kirby is looking really good. Here we are scoping out this Return to Dreamland rom hack where you get to play as Magolor and suddenly it's made official. Lot of old rumors we forgot about. The gameboy stuff, Metroid Prime remaster. How is multiplayer going to work with gameboy? Until now, the functionality was basically Steam's remote play - streaming your game to someone else so it can accept their inputs as P2. But gameboy multiplayer always involved multiple systems. They had better figure something out for Pokemon TCG. I'm determined to live long enough to know what Card Popping feels like. And I'm very happy for Etrian Odyssey fans. I'm sure they'd prefer new games, but just knowing the series has a future beyond the 3DS has got to be a relief.

And Pikmin looks delightful. Are those Baby Snagrets I'm seeing? What adorable little murderers. Although...looking at my own design document for a Pikmin 4, man I should have made some predictions on this stuff. I wrote down that the next game should have a cute dog-like companion that towers over our character ("Let's call him Poochy") that serves as both helper and vehicle to the pikmin. And he doesn't fight, because he is a coward. Well, dunno how they got into my notes, but I'll share some more of them. Give him a "Rescue" mode where he wanders off and rounds up stray pikmin like the ones that get tripped up on level architecture. I wasn't really thinking of being able to ride it yourself, moreso being able to tell your pikmin to get on and get ferried to a location you determine on your map, similar to guiding Captains in Pikmin 3. At the very least, have it be able to drop off pikmin back at base and guide those that have completed their task back toward you. More of an intermediary tool than a separate playable character like we see here.

I can see why this is an underwhelming show for some. It's a lot of games we've played before getting put on the Switch. No new game announcement. Zelda looks like a DLC campaign. All that interests me is Pikmin and Kirby, but that's a heck of a one-two punch for my tastes.

6 hours ago, WaterKirby1964 said:

The DLC reveal for Fire Emblem Engage was super awesome and hype. Regarding emblems, if a Laguz character were to be an emblem, who would you choose?

Hmm, it's all too easy to pick one of the royals imo (I know I would), so ignoring them I'm going to suggest a Laguz trio using Lethe (Fast strikes, trapping foes? and boosts to terrain for movement and Covert-esque stats (Not sure what I'd suggest to replace the trapping but I wasn't sure what to pick for a third)), Reyson (support, healing and refreshing) and Nasir (Magical walling, draconic attacks and boosting ally stats in range) with mechanics centered on each one, with the limit being you have to choose which one of the three you work with when you Engage.

3 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Hmm, it's all too easy to pick one of the royals imo (I know I would), so ignoring them I'm going to suggest a Laguz trio using Lethe (Fast strikes, trapping foes? and boosts to terrain for movement and Covert-esque stats (Not sure what I'd suggest to replace the trapping but I wasn't sure what to pick for a third)), Reyson (support, healing and refreshing) and Nasir (Magical walling, draconic attacks and boosting ally stats in range) with mechanics centered on each one, with the limit being you have to choose which one of the three you work with when you Engage.

Interesting. If we are talking about the Laguz trio as emblems, I was thinking of Tibarn, Caineghis and Dheginsea

On 2/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, WaterKirby1964 said:

The DLC reveal for Fire Emblem Engage was super awesome and hype. Regarding emblems, if a Laguz character were to be an emblem, who would you choose?

Caeneghis. He's a cool character and I like lions.

I get the feeling that IS would probably pick Ena, Nasir or Kurthnaga. They wouldn't be bad choices since they are all major characters, but them being dragons would make it a bit of a missed opportunity, and it would lead me to say, "They should stop putting in new dragons and just make Alear actually be a dragon already!"

Lethe, Mordecai and especially Ranulf would be good choices in this regard, in that they're major characters and they would be unique among emblems thanks to being beast tribe laguz.

For Metroid Prime Remaster, I have warmed up to it a little since it's not full price and the graphics overhaul is more than just an HD filter. But it is still $40 for a 21-year-old GameCube game that hasn't had anything added to it except control options and a new coat of paint.

Just a year ago, I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U eshop for $20. Hm... $20 for all three games, or $40 for only one game with a new coat of paint? I think it's obvious which one is the better deal. Content is more important than graphics; it's not even close. And Metroid Prime wasn't exactly begging for a graphical overhaul anyway; it's one of a handful of GameCube games that still looks good. It's kind-of funny: Nintendo will give large graphical overhauls to games that don't need them, like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime, but then they won't give graphical overhauls to games that really do need them, like Twilight Princess. Adding to that, the Wii U eshop is closing next month; soon there won't be a way to purchase either of Metroid Prime's sequels. How is this not similar to when they would delist Wii U games from the eshop after making more expensive 'remasters' on the Switch?

And yet, all I've been are people celebrating that the remaster isn't full price and that it got a large graphical overhaul. What happened to all the Nintendo fans who would say graphics don't matter nearly as much as good content? I stood alongside them, but apparently, I was the only one who actually believed it.

Level 5 is alive, luckily

DecaPolice actually looks interesting to me, can't wait to know more about it
Layton being back is super cool, although i REALLY don't want it to go full 3d, i still want to touch everywhere on the screen to get those hint coins

there will also be another Level 5 news drop later this month, where they should show more about the new Inazuma Eleven game they've been developing for almost a decade now
i want it to be an actual thing so bad

I've not played BotW, and my experience with Metroid and Pikmin is essentially nil. So, bad Direct for me? Not in the slightest!

As an Ace Attorney fan, I've heard great things about Ghost Trick, but not gotten to play it. Now, I'll have no excuse.

Celeste is a top 5 all-time game for me, due in no small part to the music. So "Harmony: The Fall of Reverie" is instantly on the radar for me, as I love me some Lena Raine score.

Birdo is legit one of my favorite Mario characters, so the fact that she's coming back to Mario Kart is an injustice being righted.

Really happy for Advanced Wars and Layton fans, finally getting new games! They're both may-buy-at-bests for me, though.

Finally, GB(C) titles coming to NSO. It's a great step, even if the selection is limited. I own a few of these on my 3DS, but I might still dabble in some titles.

Honestly, this has hyped me more than any Direct since the one where Three Houses was first revealed.