EU Data (preliminary)

Athena no longer talks in third person, but she now she speaks all her W's as V's

I don't like how these exaggerated accents are becoming a trend. Lately, a number of games seem to be utilizing these, and it's getting, personally, to be a little bit of a overused technique.

I looked at the new maps, and personally, a bunch of them look really awful: most of them are symmetrical and ugly. One or two had a little of a design, but none of them really looked unique :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the new maps, and personally, a bunch of them look really awful: most of them are symmetrical and ugly. One or two had a little of a design, but none of them really looked unique
Most serious AW players prefer symmetrical maps for multiplayer, as long as the first turn advantage is balanced, which I don't know how much of an issue would be in FEDS WiFi.

Actually, a more accurate description of Athena would be a identity-confused [she thinks of herself as two people, apparantly] chick with a german accent.

....That's kind of hot, actually.

Most serious AW players prefer symmetrical maps for multiplayer, as long as the first turn advantage is balanced, which I don't know how much of an issue would be in FEDS WiFi.

The only bad part to symmetrical maps, especially with Advance Wars, is that visually, the maps are ugly. You'd think, especially with the somewhat detailed graphics of FEDS (more like varied) there could be subtle details to differentiate the reflected sides, but mostly they look to be just flat mirrors :E

As for fixing FTA... that shouldn't be too much of an issue, when there's the larger problem of a level five team to be fighting capped units ._. Although, I guess there's a new handicap function or something.

There is a large difference between Chapter 1 H5 and an online match. And actually, FTA does exist to an extent: with Warp Staves an Maph, the first turn a user can already strike the enemy. That's hardly a thing to shrug off :/

The Warp Staff had its icon modified. Rather than a Star of David, it's now a small, somehwat squished star :[ (NoA of the 90s?) For reference:

fdg.png

I guess I'll rip the (E) icons and see if there's anything new :/

"FTA does exist to an extent: with Warp Staves an Maph, the first turn a user can already strike the enemy."

I'd say the bigger advantage here is h4x since Maph is unobtainable without codes.

Also, Maph has crappy hit and that tactic will give your mage a swift death due to him being in plain sight of enemy units, and if he misses, it'll have all been for nothing. Oh yes, and since Fog is always on, you have to be sure you'll actually be able to SEE your target and don't make your mage a sitting duck.

The point of bringing out C1 wasn't to compare it to Wifi. It was to prove that the first strike is NOT always the best one in FE. In fact, it's often the worst one.

By the by, who's to say the enemy wasn't packing a forged Javelin?

Edited by Berserkah2DaBladah

Not Maph--my bad. I meant Worm, the long-range spell. Warping a unit close enough to the enemy--always knowing where their units spawn, and then getting to rape them with four units--four long range, or three long range and one close range. Capable of raping some teams entirely :/

By the by, who's to say the enemy wasn't packing a forged Javelin?

Forged Worm says hi.

staff-567567567567567.png

That's the European version of the Warp staff, for anyone who cares. Size doubled for easier sight (the palette isn't the actual one).

Edited by Celice

You can't attack what you can't see. Even they're in worm range.

Also, forged worm? Not happening. The only one you get comes with Gato, and he joins when you actually start the chapter, so you can't go back and forge it. You're stuck with that -LOVELY- Mt and hit, plus you're dead open for being owned with zero retaliation.

Speaking of which, is anybody else pissed they didn't add fog for singleplayer?

Edited by Berserkah2DaBladah

Thus why you utilize the Warp Staff.

And actually, FTA does exist to an extent: with Warp Staves an Maph, the first turn a user can already strike the enemy. That's hardly a thing to shrug off :/

As for forging Worm, I was rather sure you could in the online menus, but could be wrong. Still, a pummeling before any action can take place can hurt the opposing team by a somewhat debatable margin. But rather than carry on Worm as a strong weapon, it is the Warp Staff that gives the uncurable FTA: the opportunity to launch two units directly near enemies and attack in the same turn, if memory serves, can cause damage, if your team is strong enough.

It is her name in the French version ...trust NOE to issue a press release with the wrong bloody names...and I just got used to Caeda :(

Er, according to one of my trusted members of my French Fire Emblem forum (Eliwood), Sheeda is named Shiida in the French version of the game, not Caeda.

The difference between Fire Emblem and AW is that AW is designed to make attacking more powerful than counter attacking, and that you need to get to resources first.

FEDS WiFi, you are disadvantaged being attacked first (since it opens up to being ganged up on), but not as much as having to counterattack in AW. Also, it's no longer a race to resources, it's trying to kill the other team, so you can take advantage of the baiting.

The only bad part to symmetrical maps, especially with Advance Wars, is that visually, the maps are ugly. You'd think, especially with the somewhat detailed graphics of FEDS (more like varied) there could be subtle details to differentiate the reflected sides, but mostly they look to be just flat mirrors :E
Again, gameplay reasons. I would rather have ugly, balanced maps than beautiful lopsided MP maps. Asymmetrical maps are better for single player.

I'm pretty interested in learning how to extract the game information, such as characters names, stats etc. but I don't know how to do it. Could someone explain how you do it? Thanks.

The simplest way is to

1) Use DSTool to extract the individual files form the FE11 ROM

2) Look for the /m (stands for message) directory in the files

3) Run a decompressor(?) on the files found inside (I cheated by using DT's GBA tools)

4) Open the decompressed files in a hex editor (for stats or text) or Notepad (for text)

Er, according to one of my trusted members of my French Fire Emblem forum (Eliwood), Sheeda is named Shiida in the French version of the game, not Caeda.

So it is. I was lazy when verifying that statement and didn't check the French data file VincentASM posted on page 1 :( The point about NOE issueing a press release with the wrong name still stands :lol:

FEDS WiFi, you are disadvantaged being attacked first (since it opens up to being ganged up on), but not as much as having to counterattack in AW. Also, it's no longer a race to resources, it's trying to kill the other team, so you can take advantage of the baiting.

Doesn't the player who controls the throne/fort/whatever in the middle wins so it kind of is a race in that respect.

The simplest way is to

1) Use DSTool to extract the individual files form the FE11 ROM

2) Look for the /m (stands for message) directory in the files

3) Run a decompressor(?) on the files found inside (I cheated by using DT's GBA tools)

4) Open the decompressed files in a hex editor (for stats or text) or Notepad (for text)

Thanks. I'm stuck at the decompresser bit though. My Google searches have yielded nothing.

I forget the details, but the compression scheme is the same as one that IS used in the GBA FEs, as well as FE9 and 10.

It might have something to do with Huffman compression or LZ77 compression.

Or you could probably ask DarkTwilkitri for help, since I can't remember where I uploaded his tools :S

Most DS games use the generic LZ77, just as a large number of GBA games did too--I an archaic tool called Tahaxan which attempts to detect traces of LZ77 and will decompress it if you like :/ You could look that up, if you want something simple.

Again, gameplay reasons. I would rather have ugly, balanced maps than beautiful lopsided MP maps. Asymmetrical maps are better for single player.

I was agreeing--I was just saying that subtle difference without effect to terrain or other imbalacing features should be included. Like the variance of grass detail in FEDS, or mountains, and the like. I don't particularly care for bland looking tile arrangements in stark symmetrical maps, even if the game becomes more orientated around skill.

Edited by Celice

So... no gameplay changes at all? That's mostly good, actually. (but I would have liked SMs to get their critical bonus back)

I'm really surprised that they edited the warp staff animation, but Kain and Abel's names remained unchanged.

It might have something to do with Huffman compression or LZ77 compression.

To my knowledge, FE9/10/11 have not used Huffman. LZ77 is the only one in real use... and the (rather lame) RLE used for some of FE11's sprites.