Ruben's Ridiculous Romhack Rebalance Rant (FE: The Princess's Lament "LP")

Shaky Jones

Spoiler
34 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I have no idea how to send save, so I really hope it doesn't come to that. But I will do what I can. For now, feel free to ask reminders for certain stuff regarding recent chapters, before I forget it entirely. 

I thought you said you were keeping backups of every map? Just throw them in a .zip file and send it to me on discord lol

1. Monochrome is epic.

2. Lydia is a cringe Skyrim companion name

3. Lydia is joined alongside the worst character ever

4. Black hair is normal. Purple hair is fatherless.

5. Big fucking Bertha

Fair enough.

boat map

I did say "duds notwithstanding."

35 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Yeah I reckon you should add something. Considering how widely "beloved" you say your funny oc's are to players, it would suck to miss them and a chapter just because you chose to bring Moulder instead. 

Right you are.

35 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Novala was pretty gold writing, I'll give you that. The best kind of stupid. 

Good, that's all I wanted.

36 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

But back to the serious discussion of those new units...

Great units! Loved em. Hope you guys liked this display of some of the first new cast of Ruben Stones for Erika's rout! Their addition to Sacred Stones was truly something to behold, and they their contributions to this journey of an LP be something to remember.

lol I got 0 time with the fan faves, or the Ruben faves probably.

...Welp.

Oof.

37 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Hlwoypa9 o

Their deaths allowed for the perfect distraction for Erika. Honestly, this was hilarious to experience. I wasn't even mad. I was flabbergasted, but giggling the whole time. Imagine, Novala had this whole plan to get back at his bullies while looking superiors to Erika's army, gaining a brand new unique companion to follow his quest for greatness after so much new dialogue and a redemption arc arises from Natasha and Erika's kindness, and they both die instantly. That's something out of a comic right there! That's funny! This must be why people do ironmans. I still can't believe my first official casualties were the brand new units that lasted up to 2 turns. It's just a bad day for Erika. She probably didn't even care to walk past their corpse. She's done with this shit.

Hahahahaha

Oh, fucking hell. That's fucking terrible.

38 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Entsfwb5 o

Damn.

The objective is to kill the boss. Hypothetically, you could just kill him immediately. He doesn't move, so no 2 range enemy near him could hurt you. But what is that crit my guy? A 1-2 range promoted boss that crits? This is just getting unfair, not to mention the rewards you'd be missing by doing this. At least you technically have a semi option with Neimi rescue Lute kill or something, but it does feel odd to have a map designed around the boss being technically easy to reach past a wall you realistically shouldn't be able to phase through, and I'd prefer actually having the top half be...you know, fair? Can you do that ping?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah that's a bug. A pretty massive bug and I'm not even sure how long it's been like that. He's supposed to be to the north, where that shaman is standing.

41 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Wha-

What the hell is this!? Already!? I haven't even left the room yet! Ping you have a lot of explaining to do! Why would you spawn enemies now? You'd only have at most 3 units if you're lucky, probably still fighting off the first ones. You don't have enough to actually fend them off! You'd probably need a downtime to heal up or rescue drop, but this is just a barrage of testicle twists! I can understand resetting if turn 1 goes wrong, but this would really push your limit as it goes! Spider boy could only take so many beatings, and he'd have to steer clear of the mage while still taking heavy beating given its lack of good defense. This is just terrible map design, no matter how I look at it.

Usually in FE, maps like these have the enemies surrounding you be noticeably weaker than everyone else. Even Engage does this a lot, mostly through enemies attacking green units only using compacts with lower levels (like with small Anna), and very few enemies could hurt them for a while, but eventually, they get overwhelmed and killed because you took too long (Jade vs armorslayer after several turns of solo'ing). Even FE7 has weak enemies go against recruitable units properly, they throw the worst enemies at Nino to make her look passable, then she runs into Ursula because you were a bit too spooked of the dark to save her in time. Then again, that map also has Jaffar whose survival is literal rng, so FE7 is almost never a good source of note taking.

By default, a player like me would look at this map and naturally assume, the enemies must only move if provoked, preventing me from simply rushing out on my own. After all, the goal is to hold out until Seth's team arrives. Maybe after several turns, the 4+ enemy waves spawn to more or less end you for being a terrible Kaga self insert of saving the damsel in distress (thanks for making Erika Celica 2 here btw ping. Really great addition). This is the standard FE design that I am used to. It's decent design, although sometimes executed poorly, like with several New Mystery maps on any difficulty past normal (Navarre only has to fight a few thiefs, but he dies extremely quickly so you almost definitely need rescue or the best draco Kris already). There's nothing you can do here though. No reclassing. No rescue staff. No clever guaranteed strats to hold off the enemy. It's literally just: "Here's 3 frail units. Here's 20 enemies. Good luck." I don't think I need to explain why this map doesn't work. 

Enemies could just have low strength for once and maybe even use slims (although hopefully not fast enough with it to no longer double, shouldn't be a problem with soldiers) to not hurt much. You could defend this by saying that they don't really need to send strong units to get you when you seemingly were alone. They say in the cutscene (not that I showed it) that security outside is very lax. They aren't expecting company. It's just you 3. Everyone thinks very little of Novala, and the spider is forgettable in tiny Orson's eyes, so it's really just Erika. She might be formidable, but not durable. Once several turns pass, he'd become aware of intruder and THEN summon his whole army to get you after realizing you somehow lived (you could summon 1 to 2 enemies every now and again against Erika until the huge squad on turn 8 or something). Another way to help could also be to have a lancereaver drop at some point in either 6 or just be the first armor's weapon in 6x that drops, so Erika could have a defense against lance users, hopefully dodging them. Main problem is that that weapon would be long term, so you might not want to player to own that for the early game if the rest of the game isn't designed with that in mind, so I understand not doing it. You're probably just meant to use Novala. Again, the obvious issue is just the bombardment of enemies rushing units that clearly can't handle them. The closest you have to an enemy phase unit is the spider, but they aren't tanky. 2 hits, and their HP is 2. They only have vulns. It'd take 3 turns to fully recover, and by then, you're dead. Then you get crit'd. Why would you want to tank with a unit who has 0 luck? This is literally the worst setting you could put a 1 range locked 0 luck unit in. I don't feel like I sucked and deserved the loss of the units here. Even if I didn't get crit'd on turn 1, I'd be overwhelmed. Not much would actually change. In fact, since I'm writing this after I cleared the chapter, I went back and tried to see how else I can overcome the enemy for curiosity's sake. Turns out I cant. I just cant. I have to lose someone. More often than not, even with rng abuse to make my units not miss, I will eventually be overwhelmed and killed. Erika and Novala do not survive more than 2 hits, and sometimes even Melvilla. If I rescue with the spider, I lose. I can't fight back, and dropping Erika afterwards gets her killed. 2 range units get the better of her most times. I cannot kill all the enemies and find time to use vulns. I'd have to literally never get hit on turn 1 and 2 completely to stand a chance. If there is a solution that doesn't require rng, it sure is extremely hard to find. In other words, this map would suck even without the ironman setting I put myself in, so i wouldn't go blaming myself for doing a run the chapter wasn't considering or something (I personally believe an ironman is a great way to test the balance and design of how well the map and its difficulty is handled, not to be a kaga shill rn but ironman made games tend to be better games). 

I guess you probably did it eventually ping, but you can't do this to me like that. We both use Marcus! I deserve better. Shame on you ping. Make your maps better.

Your lower team is meant to run for the top, but even if you got your upper team out immediately, you'd have no reason to split your army. Your team is going to escape altogether either left or right, so your lower squad will just want to pick the side they're running towards. There's not much to say about the rest of the gameplay. Enemies are fairly competent, but pretty easy to one round as of right now. Something I'll gladly take given the fact that I need to play fast, but a lot of the enemies are stationary armors just meant to stall. It's annoying in the context of how screwed Erika is, but I guess that's the point. Other than that, it's a little bland imo. The first turn was great. Loved the enemy spread, but it gets dull quickly when it's mainly just running upwards and killing the stationary armors with the option to provoke some of the fliers close to the boss, but the ai for everyone on the lower half is predictable. They move when in range. Something done to either let you be fast and be in danger, or be safe at the risk of the top. Really though, you need to at least aggro the horses so they don't go after Erika when it's her turn. I get it, but something about the map feels meh, I guess it's the lack of enemies in the halls. It's just one horse each, and stationary armors. The halls are long enough to take several turns going through. You either then kill the boss in the center or try saving the prisoners for a reward. I'll talk more on this later, but this map was just not very fun to play through even ignoring ping's travesties.

Yeah, see, this is the reason why I did a rebalance. It's also the reason why, a long time ago, I tried to do a small SRPG Studio project, burned out massively and never touched it again.

Map design is hell.

42 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

How the hell would Novala and Melville survive this long!?

Ideally, cowering in a cell while Eirika chokes the entrance. It's how I did it, at least. I swear, it felt fair when I did it...

44 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Eemfkapw o

They're fucking spawning together, in a row. 

IN A ROW!!

Because turns 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 weren't bad enough. NOW IT'S EVERY TURN, INCLUDING THE LOWER REINFORCEMENTS! Why does this small ass prison have endless reinforcements!? Give me more time! Spawn them on turn 8 and beyond! Imagine trying to do this with Erika and co staying on the top the entire time! This is so fucking annoying! I hate being spammed at. Yes, you can consider this "beat the map already", but this feels more like average fe7 reinforcement moment, especially when I take so long just reaching upwards now and I still don't forgive the terrible design of trying to even escape this portion with the CONSTANT spamming PING!

This is the part where I took feedback that the reinforcements were too lax and easy to grind, and decided to double down on them.

By the way, you missed the part where infinite generals start spawning at the south. Yeah.

Spoiler

I'm very sad that I didn't keep the old patches around, so I can't make you play the version with mercs and a myrm near Eirika's spawn point.

25 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Ping you have a lot of explaining to do! Why would you spawn enemies now?

So that you stop fucking around and link up Eirika's trio with the main group. Next question!

27 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

How do we know these aren't just criminals pretending to be innocents?

This is a Fire Emblem game and they are neither hideous nor leer evilly. Next question!

37 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I still don't forgive the terrible design of trying to even escape this portion with the CONSTANT spamming PING!

On 11/6/2022 at 6:53 PM, ping said:

I think the map is more fair now and I might even suggest letting the reinforcements escalate again a little bit. Not right away, but maybe somewhere around turn 10 or so, to nudge the player towards at the very least link up Eirika's group with the rest.

:3
I'm very sorry that I was able to spawn-camp the
reinforcements with only Eirika's group. So very sorry.

Actually, Ruben, do you still have the version that you friend had to use weaponless Eirika to beat?

49 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Fuck you Ping. 

5 minutes ago, ping said:

:3
I'm very sorry that I was able to spawn-camp the
reinforcements with only Eirika's group. So very sorry.

Actually, Ruben, do you still have the version that you friend had to use weaponless Eirika to beat?

I kept every version, so yes. The very first version is still around.

Replies:

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I thought you said you were keeping backups of every map? Just throw them in a .zip file and send it to me on discord lol

Well by backup, I mean saving the game on each of the 3 slots within the game (5, 6, 6x) and swap accordingly. So if I was in 6x and you asked for anything regarding 5, I could load that and give it another look or screenshot hunt. I also started save stating certain chapter saves, so a save state will have an occurrence holding 5 6 and 6x, and then I'd make another save state for 7 8 9 so that when I use all 9 states, I'd have most of the game that I can go back to. If that doesn't count as backup, I don't know what. I have zero knowledge on computer words.

...Welp.

Oof.

I loved that you mentioned wanting me to shill them in the Lp right before I made the post about their deaths.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah that's a bug. A pretty massive bug and I'm not even sure how long it's been like that. He's supposed to be to the north, where that shaman is standing.

Glad you got that sorted out, but I'm still salty over 1-2 range crit boss. I guess Gilliam Emblem would be safe, but you don't exactly have all the time in the world to just bring your whole army to him and choose who to have fight him.

Yeah, see, this is the reason why I did a rebalance. It's also the reason why, a long time ago, I tried to do a small SRPG Studio project, burned out massively and never touched it again.

Map design is hell.

You shall learn through experience, and I am the critic not that you need, but what you deserve.

Ideally, cowering in a cell while Eirika chokes the entrance. It's how I did it, at least. I swear, it felt fair when I did it...

How can she choke anything? She dies in 2 hits. She's a frail lord. If I'm supposed to just dodge every axe unit for several turns, that's crappy design. You're meant to dodge with Shanam in ch7 of fe4, and I die a lot because the game just assumes rng is in your favor and reloading makes all bad decisions okay now. The 2 range units easily overwhelm you and just...no one survives! Just trying to get in those cells is impossible given the enemies already cornering you in turn 2. It's why every "fair" FE map like this ensures to only have very small waves of enemies go after them until you've realistically reached them with the crew.

This is the part where I took feedback that the reinforcements were too lax and easy to grind, and decided to double down on them.

By the way, you missed the part where infinite generals start spawning at the south. Yeah.

You know how the old saying goes: Quality over quantity. 

Reminds me of some Four Kings reinforcements, but those guys had the void xp skill and their spawns were often indicated through red text. Anyways, still gotta hunt for that middle ground. It's a tedious process, but probably worth it so this curveball doesn't break the enjoyment of an otherwise fairly balanced hack. I'd say wait until later before the hell of upper reinforcements arrive. Adding more early on didn't really add challenge. Just tedium and a lot of unwarranted xp. One of the benefits of ambush spawns I suppose is to make sure that camping doesn't happen, but spamming them all the time isn't a great alternative. I mean, camping is already bad when things eventually get worse and you're on a crunch with saving greens and escaping. Throwing them at high numbers doesn't fix the xp problem at all, so you'd want stronger ones that deter you from trying to fight them off, but too many of those makes the map extremely stressful and possibly unfair. I'm still convinced that this map needs enemies not chasing Erika to be good, and you simply hold off until team B arrives, so reinforcements at first should be mostly zero. Have it escalate over time. Don't just start at 4 and go endlessly forever. Beginning at some point (let's say 8 or so), enemies begin to spawn frequently from the top (whether you do the bottom too is up to you), probably killing Erika if she was still there. Maybe instead of the standard 4, you have a 5th prepromote in the center (maybe berserker swordreaver to serve as an executioner), really making the center hell for those still there. Again, the prison is now ready to send their best at you after realizing that they've been breached and that they couldn't just sweep Novala like they were planning to. Perhaps repeat this on 10 and 12 (not counting the prepromote), but not on 14. The player is given some breather room and assumes that the waves have stopped. 3 and you're done. But then on 16, all 4 enemies are promoted, and even downstairs spawn paladins that chase you down fast. This goes on until 18. If the player somehow could kill them all, it's probably not worth spamming them since it's free xp apparently, but they should be running away. At this point, the player's had an extreme amount of time if they were just trying to reach the boss, and a little more than adequate time to rescue the green units otherwise. The lower reinforcements would probably be 9,11, and 13. 14 and 15 would be the downtime of what would be the continuation of the pattern where you run away to the center to finish it, healing up and all that before the promos arrive. 10 and 12 and 14 would be the waves that stall you as you try to rescue the top villagers, not quite as hectic as the 5 waves before alongside the double waves afterwards. Again, it's more tedious than hard and gives an absurd amount of xp. 

10 hours ago, ping said:

I'm very sad that I didn't keep the old patches around, so I can't make you play the version with mercs and a myrm near Eirika's spawn point.

Bravo Ruben!

10 hours ago, ping said:

So that you stop fucking around and link up Eirika's trio with the main group. Next question!

Of course. On turn 4, with 3 units, and no staves. If only Melville wasn't fucking around in Hell.

10 hours ago, ping said:

I'm very sorry that I was able to spawn-camp the reinforcements with only Eirika's group. So very sorry.

Better than being overwhelmed with very few options of actually playing the game. 

That doesn't mean add more enemies. It means make them more of a threat. The map should start off easy, so that something like splitting the lord apart doesn't hinder the player too much if they got bad levels or hardly trained her, and then go real hard when it knows you've had your chance to make things right. You can be capable of spawn camping, but then be punished later by strong enemies appearing later while you should've been running. I don't know the process of how this chapter was changed. All I can say was that this sucked. Luckily, you won't be blamed anymore. 

Post Novala Burial:

Spoiler

Ovqlt6wv o

The next 16 frame or so are more or less nothing more than Erika Seth teehee moments. Disgusting.

I'm doing you a favor not showing it. What kind of basic bitch ships these two bozos? Yes, I don't ship anything except myself with Cord, but I'd at least allow Erika x a Sacred Stone, and Seth x Valter. Get out of here!

Xvvnttin o

Ibhwich8 o

Dejbkhib o

I've noticed more and more Moulder. Unsurprising. Do these scenes disappear if he dies, or is he essential?

7gkouumu o

Drnxlzip o

F0w2ruxx o

Zi6y7g0k o

Sounds like quite the man. Can I capture him? I lost my last lackeys. This seems like exactly the kind of thing he would want to be credited for. Unlucky!

7rcrtpei o

An old man gives me a red gem. 

Dj4vzrno o

G5yhyyk7 o

I feel like this would be funnier or cooler or whatever you call it if it wasn't made apparent that he lived through the parenthesis thing during the fight. It feels a bit too pointless and corny for a bit that won't mean anything in 17 seconds.

63yku8n3 o

Qxk9whvl o

9wibtczx o

0odDDFR.png

Ejm0ub6t o

Rrpvawjo o

T15pvnlu o

Spooky.

I39a6wcq o

Pecuos2b o

Uzgdrqqi o

Tac5heif o

Szkvmhwd o

Od0wgwud o

Tzejx7bh o

Tnofdb76 o

Bro think he the Black Knight💀

Bvvpjbx3 o

You should've seen the guy that brought back Siegfried.

7sahohok o

There he is! Hip hip hurray! Project Fado in full effect. 

Wait is that what the title meant? This operation to bring him back, called project Fado, used as a name for a hack that emphasizes Fado while being an inspired form of Project Ember? Shit, maybe that should've the title...

Well, from what I gather, they either nearly killed him and locked him up for no reason, or they tried bringing him back dread lord style (necromancer gaming) to have be a strong puppet, but it's once again proven to be a terrible idea. I simply pray that he doesn't just appear at the end to be the final boss because he has Tourette's.

Spider Stones 7: For Melville!

Spoiler

It's just chapter 7. No real new dialogue that stood out. You could have 3 new companions shill their loyalty to Erika before the fight, but 2 of them are dead, so it's just Harold. He's still trying to redeem himself. The good stuff. Ya love to see it. I wonder if there'll be any enemies added onto this map.

Ekppb4uf o

God fucking damn it.

Alwzwypo o

Spent a fortune on hand axes and vulns. I wish more old people gave us money that we need to survive in this economically destroyed world they caused.

Turn 1:

Fq0yol0n o

Banger start.

Sqylna2z o

What's up?

83pxf5ow o

Y20opica o

Aw come on! He's doing great! Ross the boss. That's what they call him. 

Ke7aj3lh o

Ruyy2ekh o

Eugyjhwt o

You're the last person who should be educating about speed.

Xxff115s o

Yes, I...I don't need the help.

The game just gave me more speed. Damn. I meant it when I said he's good. Now he has 15 strength and 15 speed. That's better than basically everyone in my team. Gilliam has 1 more strength, and Neimi has one more speed. Garcia is worse at both, already, and he's still good. 

Well at least Garcia's still the wall. Ross gets 2 shot. That's basically his only balance. It will only make him more busted when I get that sweet bow on his hands.

Ibf7og9a o

Ruben...

N3mjkftr o

P9pcycbe o

Bwiniyxn o

.....💢

P8gmqowa o

Turn 2:

Lzxxtbur o

I've always been flabbergasted by them leaving a ballistae here with enemies nearby, but none of them archers. This would be the perfect way to rush them before you're too late. Come on, that mage easily could've been a based archer who's being protected by his awesome boyfriend to stop the enemy from overtaking the castle. Reach them on turn 2, or they'll get the ballistae and make things much more annoying when you reach the center. Yeah, you can use it yourself, but there's really not that much of a point. There's only so many targets to hit, and you're better off heading the proper direction to kill naturally. Hell, you can make this it's own strategy. Have enemies spawn from the beginning on turn 4 or something. The ones you've sent here now either run down to fend them off using the terrain to their advantage, or they use the ballistae they just got to help keep them at bay! I'm a genius!

Maybe this one, you have those 2 soldiers be stationary armors. 2 range and all that. On the 2nd set of bridge tiles on the top, killer lance soldiers. Although possible with the right units and strats, you'd much rather use that ballistae to your advantage to kill them early on. Otherwise, you have to fight armors in range of killers, the dark mage you can't see from this screenshot, AND a ballistae. It's hell, and that's exactly how a castle would be properly defended, but take out their cannon  or reach them before they even arrive to it, and use it against them, and the plan crumbles down! I'm a super genius! I'm having too much fun here. I really feel like there's so much that can be done with this ballistae.

Bsyrqitr o

Oh boy! I've been looking forward to this one!

Fjgjovha o

Que?

Xcdl3sde o

Fuck you Novala. 

Turn 3: I went to hell to curbstomp Novala

Turn 4:

S8o5xmyp o

Oh. Killer pegs. That's a bit like my recommendation, only pointless because I have bow Gilliam.

If they were supposed to run left for the ballistae to do something, unlucky!

Pplpofxe o

I guess I'm officially using her. Well, at least I never hated her. Lilina's on my kill list for all the times I've accidentally been forced to kill Gonzales and Garret. 

I always forget! I hate her!

Jcsolm9t o

Someone's gotta stop that bally.

Turn 5:

Ecvxkrub o

What an odd thing SS did here. If Ruben went out of his way to remove it, I would've baby raged so hard.

9iscctxj o

A horseslayer. Pathetically enough, this is not nearly enough to stop Seth.

I like the peg thing, so maybe you could throw peg spawns sometime around turn 7 or so to ambush the inevitable Seth thrown here. Feels like there should be more going on here. 

Turn 6:

Taaiaozr o

4NedbqG.png

Edgpvdx7 o

What is this...

Yeah, great name there. Real fuckin clever. Toot your horn and laugh science boy.

I can't talk to her, but she's not fighting back, sooooo...

Mvgzbgea o

See ya.

Turn 7:

Ruwtj8v9 o

Harold solo's. It's actually scary, but kind of hot.

Pmsu1ziv o

Holy based, he's the goat. It's actually scary, but of kind of hot.

Turn 8:

T7v9uwf5 o

It's funny that most enemies in this map only move when provoked and come in very small numbers, when the last map was 5 million enemies bombarding you. This chapter feels like a joke.

Turn 9: L'arachel returned. She said the n word again. I don't think I like her very much.

Turn 10: 

Xbiheoq2 o

New ship. Harold Neimi, let's go. Absolutely cracked duo.

Viqlogvv o

I guess I can give Erika another boss kill. After that last debacle, she should probably make sure she never loses funny OC's ever again, not that Ruben would be foolish enough to try that a 2nd time.

Yj8pjl7e o

GjXzDav.png

I end up waiting 2 more turns for...D'Erica to leave. Well, either I wasted several turns for nothing, or this map can't be ltc'd in Ruben Stones properly because they're an armor of all things running away. Oh well. I was a little slow anyways. 

I4ta4h3m o

There's no seize option. You either kill the new lass or let her run. That must've been changed for a reason.

Tyi90l5p o

I knew it. Praise me for my intellect. 

V1g3deer o

Yes. You are in the wrong game. Go back.

Bsxznay6 o

890eezoa o

You got trolled.

1phll6mh o

1aeyqwfl o

Bktlijba o

X242iri.png

Okay fine, I laughed. You've a talent for being funny Ruben. Natural for a country of clowns.

But I also weep. The boss didn't lie. He actually wanted to reunite her with her long lost brethren who had been searching for her for years, forcing her to leave the battlefield so that their reunion would not be torn apart by the brutality of war.

J1qA7C1.png

She went the wrong way.

Well that was a nothing burger. There was one new unit, but you don't even recruit them here, and since they don't even fight you, the map is virtually played exactly the same, aside from those 2 pegs that really didn't do anything. Not to say that the chapter was horrible or that the changes sucked. It was just too vanilla where it really shouldn't have been. This was always a very boring chapter to me. There's extremely few enemies and no reinforcements. It's a nothing chapter. Nothing happens. It's just a filler for chapter 8. I like the idea of the pegs at least. You wouldn't want last minute reinforcements here now because of the new rout objective, so if there were any, I'd suggest either the beginning early on turn 4 or so for the first ballistae location, or other filers who appear about to surround you. 

Please use my ballistae idea. I love that idea! Something, anything with that first ballistae, think of the untapped potential! The map designer I've never tried making in my brain is screaming for additions!

Spoiler
10 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Well by backup, I mean saving the game on each of the 3 slots within the game (5, 6, 6x) and swap accordingly. So if I was in 6x and you asked for anything regarding 5, I could load that and give it another look or screenshot hunt. I also started save stating certain chapter saves, so a save state will have an occurrence holding 5 6 and 6x, and then I'd make another save state for 7 8 9 so that when I use all 9 states, I'd have most of the game that I can go back to. If that doesn't count as backup, I don't know what. I have zero knowledge on computer words.

Oh.

...Well, as long as you aren't as bad at it as some of the bureaucrats I work for. Seriously, one of those people saved important files in the recycling bin, because the desktop was too full. With 10 empty folders, no less.

11 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

You know how the old saying goes: Quality over quantity. 

Reminds me of some Four Kings reinforcements, but those guys had the void xp skill and their spawns were often indicated through red text. Anyways, still gotta hunt for that middle ground. It's a tedious process, but probably worth it so this curveball doesn't break the enjoyment of an otherwise fairly balanced hack. I'd say wait until later before the hell of upper reinforcements arrive. Adding more early on didn't really add challenge. Just tedium and a lot of unwarranted xp. One of the benefits of ambush spawns I suppose is to make sure that camping doesn't happen, but spamming them all the time isn't a great alternative. I mean, camping is already bad when things eventually get worse and you're on a crunch with saving greens and escaping. Throwing them at high numbers doesn't fix the xp problem at all, so you'd want stronger ones that deter you from trying to fight them off, but too many of those makes the map extremely stressful and possibly unfair. I'm still convinced that this map needs enemies not chasing Erika to be good, and you simply hold off until team B arrives, so reinforcements at first should be mostly zero. Have it escalate over time. Don't just start at 4 and go endlessly forever. Beginning at some point (let's say 8 or so), enemies begin to spawn frequently from the top (whether you do the bottom too is up to you), probably killing Erika if she was still there. Maybe instead of the standard 4, you have a 5th prepromote in the center (maybe berserker swordreaver to serve as an executioner), really making the center hell for those still there. Again, the prison is now ready to send their best at you after realizing that they've been breached and that they couldn't just sweep Novala like they were planning to. Perhaps repeat this on 10 and 12 (not counting the prepromote), but not on 14. The player is given some breather room and assumes that the waves have stopped. 3 and you're done. But then on 16, all 4 enemies are promoted, and even downstairs spawn paladins that chase you down fast. This goes on until 18. If the player somehow could kill them all, it's probably not worth spamming them since it's free xp apparently, but they should be running away. At this point, the player's had an extreme amount of time if they were just trying to reach the boss, and a little more than adequate time to rescue the green units otherwise. The lower reinforcements would probably be 9,11, and 13. 14 and 15 would be the downtime of what would be the continuation of the pattern where you run away to the center to finish it, healing up and all that before the promos arrive. 10 and 12 and 14 would be the waves that stall you as you try to rescue the top villagers, not quite as hectic as the 5 waves before alongside the double waves afterwards. Again, it's more tedious than hard and gives an absurd amount of xp. 

You make some fair points. I should probably go back and tinker with this further, if I feel like putting in the time. Though perhaps I should just take it as a learning exercise for whatever I do next. Real games scare me, but I'm not sure what a Ruben 2 hack could be about. Meh. We'll see if inspiration ever strikes me again.

12 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Dejbkhib o

I've noticed more and more Moulder. Unsurprising.

I am me, after all. Look at that magnificent stache, it deserves cutscenes.

14 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Tnofdb76 o

Bro think he the Black Knight💀

People told me he deserved fancier animations. Multiple people. Eventually I caved and let 'em have it.

Well, from what I gather, they either nearly killed him and locked him up for no reason, or they tried bringing him back dread lord style (necromancer gaming) to have be a strong puppet, but it's once again proven to be a terrible idea. I simply pray that he doesn't just appear at the end to be the final boss because he has Tourette's.

We'll come back to this eventually.

Ekppb4uf o

God fucking damn it.

Chapter 7: References.

Worryingly, this is not the closest thing to a Roro The Last Promise moment in the hack. We'll get to that.

15 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Xxff115s o

Yes, I...I don't need the help.

The game just gave me more speed. Damn. I meant it when I said he's good. Now he has 15 strength and 15 speed. That's better than basically everyone in my team. Gilliam has 1 more strength, and Neimi has one more speed. Garcia is worse at both, already, and he's still good. 

How does Ross have 15 strength and 15 speed already? Goodness me...

16 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Bsyrqitr o

Oh boy! I've been looking forward to this one!

Fjgjovha o

Que?

Xcdl3sde o

Fuck you Novala. 

Yeaaaaaah I warned about it in the hack thread, but most supports are not written. Writing supports is a massive timesink and I wanted to be done with the hack before 2024... Or more likely, never, because I would probably have burned out before I wrote all of this. So uh, yeah. Sorry.

S8o5xmyp o

Oh. Killer pegs. That's a bit like my recommendation, only pointless because I have bow Gilliam.

If they were supposed to run left for the ballistae to do something, unlucky!

Not really, they're just there to be there.

17 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

9iscctxj o

A horseslayer. Pathetically enough, this is not nearly enough to stop Seth.

I like the peg thing, so maybe you could throw peg spawns sometime around turn 7 or so to ambush the inevitable Seth thrown here. Feels like there should be more going on here. 

Perhaps, but I didn't want to be too tough a map. Not to mention, the existence of reinforcements would've contradicted the funny Seth doublet cutscene.

18 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Pmsu1ziv o

Holy based, he's the goat. It's actually scary, but of kind of hot.

10 less levels than Ross.

Almost the same stats.

Bad luck.

Edgpvdx7 o

What is this...

Yeah, great name there. Real fuckin clever. Toot your horn and laugh science boy.

I can't talk to her, but she's not fighting back, sooooo...

Mvgzbgea o

See ya.

19 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I4ta4h3m o

There's no seize option. You either kill the new lass or let her run. That must've been changed for a reason.

Tyi90l5p o

I knew it. Praise me for my intellect. 

I am genuinely impressed that you figured it out on your own.

Of course, if one's played Berwick Saga they know exactly what to do here, which is... well, what you've done. But you did it by yourself. Not bad.

Now use her. She's a shitty knight with both axes and bows, I mean, she's made for you.

21 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

X242iri.png

Okay fine, I laughed. You've a talent for being funny Ruben.

Thanks.

Natural for a country of clowns.

Better than a country of gun maniacs.

But I also weep. The boss didn't lie. He actually wanted to reunite her with her long lost brethren who had been searching for her for years, forcing her to leave the battlefield so that their reunion would not be torn apart by the brutality of war.

J1qA7C1.png

She went the wrong way.

One heck of a wrong way, too. Elibe is way that way.

22 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

It was just too vanilla where it really shouldn't have been.

I won't lie, this map is in stark competition with 3 for the map I spent the least amount of time on. I kinda just wanted to get past it.

Replies:

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Well, as long as you aren't as bad at it as some of the bureaucrats I work for. Seriously, one of those people saved important files in the recycling bin, because the desktop was too full. With 10 empty folders, no less

I'm about 2 tiers above that, I think. 

You make some fair points. I should probably go back and tinker with this further, if I feel like putting in the time. Though perhaps I should just take it as a learning exercise for whatever I do next. Real games scare me, but I'm not sure what a Ruben 2 hack could be about. Meh. We'll see if inspiration ever strikes me again.

I imagine it'll be a while before that happens. I won't ask you to perfect your hack. I haven't even finished my FE12 pmu after all. That said, I do believe some tweakings would be greatly appreciated given how it would help you see what problems occurred, and when you do find everything that makes the maps click, you can learn from that. 

Or you could be the guy that rebalances FE7. 

How does Ross have 15 strength and 15 speed already? Goodness me...

You're not a Ross enjoyer?

Yeaaaaaah I warned about it in the hack thread, but most supports are not written. Writing supports is a massive timesink and I wanted to be done with the hack before 2024... Or more likely, never, because I would probably have burned out before I wrote all of this. So uh, yeah. Sorry.

Pobre Ruben.

Fair enough. Maybe you can force teehee and/or Anon to do it all for you. Hard for you to threaten others though, given your lack of any weapon.

10 less levels than Ross.

Almost the same stats.

Bad luck.

Scary unit. For both the enemy and me.

I am genuinely impressed that you figured it out on your own.

Of course, if one's played Berwick Saga they know exactly what to do here, which is... well, what you've done. But you did it by yourself. Not bad.

iF OnE's pLayEd BeRwiCk SagA

Never!!! My gamer instincts shall prevail over all. 

Now use her. She's a shitty knight with both axes and bows, I mean, she's made for you.

Shit

Perhaps, but I didn't want to be too tough a map. Not to mention, the existence of reinforcements would've contradicted the funny Seth doublet cutscene.

Damn. Well I still believe in my ballistae idea. Even the one on the right probably needs something more, since the horseslayer alone does nothing to stop him. I just want this chapter to not be boring, even if that's what the narrative calls for. You know me, gameplay before story, and integrations shouldn't hinder the fun in a bad way.

One heck of a wrong way, too. Elibe is way that way

D'Erica swimming through the Magvell ocean with heavy armor while boat ballistaes shoot at her.

I won't lie, this map is in stark competition with 3 for the map I spent the least amount of time on. I kinda just wanted to get past it.

To quote Palpatine from the only good Star Wars movie: "Use my knowledge, I beg you".

Spoiler Stones 8: eBgIKRY.png

Spoiler

I accidentally hid the entire chapter instead of just the intro part. My bad. Oh well, it's something the entire chapter alludes to anyways. Pretty big stuff. 

Spoiler

The first portion of the chapter is the same. Seth interrogates Orson and discovers a Monika bodypillow behind his back. It's over.

Xkv65crv o

Ynse9r7y o

[black screen with stab noise]

De2n10yx o

Jay6iwvx o

L Seth. He had his crimson lance equipped.

Np6vcnmi o

Rapier time?

D2f2ppe3 o

I could still rapier both of them, but whatever. She's clearly sad right now.

Fellztol o

Wha-

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAA!!!

Oh that's funny. That is funny. I don't think it's supposed to be, but it is. Sorry about that. I was laughing so much here.

6mhsmxus o

7ifwpapl o

4fbnclyr o

Kc48jglg o

Segvvjwc o

Apdsmdoi o

Iiejbpyu o

Much has been changed, but in a way that is similar to the original. His bird fetish is still apparent, and he says that Ephraim is imprisoned, rather than letting her know that he escaped Valter's clutches. Erika says the monster line instead of Seth, and holy cannoli, that face. I can't get over it.

Qn1k1nwg o

I hate that I just think of Death Knight now.

Xxnuikg3 o

7pzh6yt1 o

Wvnkioxc o

Ruben: "Grr, this scene never made sense! How do 2 soldiers destroy the bridge behind you from several tiles away? Make them mages I must!

Come on. I nailed it, right?

Fnfitfnq o

Integration

Routobxg o

N7t3wnk8 o

Ncjuflmr o

Hold up.

Svji9fr4 o

Zprzaety o

Sz016dqn o

Y7pplpoa o

Is he-

Xayboinf o

Bvxm6jly o

1yd150ui o

Holy shit.

Gniok3hr o

Bbp87hs5 o

Zhsbpyeb o

Xvl8bggm o

Zyfoqun5 o

Ug2irvnc o

Seth just died.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

YEEEAAHH BABY!!! THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! THAT'S WHAT'S IT'S ALL ABOUT!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

I fucking love you Ruben!

9chhfvvs o

I fucking hate you Ruben!

21 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

not that Ruben would be foolish enough to try that a 2nd time.

I can't believe literally one chapter passes, and you already decide that Erika needed to be split again! 

No, no no no. This is fine. This is a time to celebrate. Sacred Stones just got 10 times better. I need to praise Ruben when he deserves it. I applaud and dance. 3 Houses cheers for Saint Rubenio! Hip hip! Kaga! Hip hip! Science! Hip hip! Lindon!

This time, the door's right there. I could reach there pretty fast. And the narrative's pretty cool here. The bridge being destroyed actually means something, and this does feel like a rare good Kaga moment. Even though 6x had a reason and it had an important story moment, the prison escape thing didn't feel nearly as necessary or impactful given it being a made up chapter about joke characters that easily could end a run. This fits in way better, even if I'd like for her not to be alone in an ironman.

Although now everything makes much more sense now. Why the hell did 6x insist on Seth x Erika moments? It didn't feel Ruben-like. I shoulda known, you devious bastard. I love that about ya. 

Great scene, as much as I liked to rag on it. It was interesting seeing the subtle changes of how the boss's dialogue was reworded in comparison to the original (yes I looked up the vanilla on youtube), and being the pathetic Dimitri fan I am, I love characters losing something and going crazy for a bit, because now I associate everything with him instead of the dozen other FE characters who experienced this before him. Honestly, the only thing that ruined it was the face. Now, me being Shaky Jones, I was smiling from ear to ear just for Seth's death, but also because I could not take her tears seriously. 

Gniok3hr o

What the actual hell is going on with her eyes here? It's demonic. Of course, this is mostly in jest. I know that you're not a master of sprite making, and I'd do no better, but it's impossible to just reduce someone's anime eyes by 80% and not have them become uncanny. It was so funny when presented right at the most serious part of the game. She looked like a disgusted mother saddened that her child is 27 and still a neet. But, ya know, good job on everything else, and you get 5 platinum stars for finally getting rid of that accursed sack of shi-

Zhlt0aba o

Ah. my apologies Erika. I'll let you uh, mourn. 

Ab7izm8r o

Qlxv97va o

R0zz0bmo o

Erika, you have 6 defense. You're going to die.

Then again, you probably want that. Unlucky!

It'd be cool if she temporarily got +3 to all stats or something, but I doubt that could be done.

6xqjaosl o

Sit right there Erika. I'll be right there, as soon as I'm done with these banger growths.

S6js347n o

Does this look like someone who needs stat buffs?

8eonbkvr o

This is way better. The only enemies that initially chase Erika all use lances, and you immediately gain lancereaver. Even if you don't really dodge much, you could help yourself just enough to let the others kill off the remaining enemies.

Xuopixnx o

Howdy.

Dspk7d73 o

Bhn572ma o

Welcome back!

Nbbgl4wk o

I point and I laugh.

Turn 2:

Jdribgec o

Depending on your Erika, this may or may not involve rng. My Erika with the lance reaver can survive both enemies if they hit (the paladin is quite accurate while the soldier isn't). If Erika is completely untrained, she could actually get doubled and killed by the paladin, and the lancereaver somewhat weighing her down doesn't help. With no Seth, you wouldn't have a way to rush to the paladin as early as turn 2, and Vanessa likely won't do crap, because she never does. Speed shouldn't be an issue, as you really should AT LEAST have Erika be lvl 7 or something by now, and her speed growth is pretty good. It's really her defense that's shaky, and not enough levels will mean her Hp would suck too. But, at least if you're not doing an ironman, you should be able to dodge at least one and dying is a small reset. For ironman enthusiasts that want a difficult FE8 experience, a statistically average lvl 10 Erika should be enough to survive with the lancereaver. The paladin can have either 22 or 23 total might, and the turn 2 soldier 19. An average Ruben Stones lvl 10 Erika would likely have 25 HP and 7 defense. With the reaver, you'd take 14 and 10 damage respectively, and you should have more than enough speed to be fine. I had one less defense, but 3 more HP, and a luckier paladin roll (not that it would've made a difference), although very unlucky Erikas or untrained ones will need the soldier dodge that's somewhere from 25 to 33 hit depending what how dodgy your Erika is, and true hit probably makes that lower. I hate any kind of dodge strats whatsoever, but at least a lot of the statistics are in your favor compared to 6x, and I suppose the average ironman player would naturally want to feed the lord a lot, especially in the hack where you actually do both routes. That said, rip to stat screwed Erikas. Lord knows how many bad Roys and Ikes I've had. And Eliwood. Hate him.

Hope you enjoyed that bit of math. I had fun nerding a bit.

Vy1cu1a3 o

Xvalamcx o

This monk is oddly strong. It's annoying when he has crit and a surpisngly decent dodge stat. Many had 60 hit and my archer had 50. A crit OHKO's everyone, and no one one rounds this guy. 

Fqds1kgu o

Well done. Kyle gets to live another day.

4qvlj7cd o

Forde! Am I just gonna bench every cavalier? That's probably what Ruben would've assumed I'd do anyways.

Jw7ltmuw o

Get used to this.

Turn 3:

Nyaqlkxf o

They are very tanky. I'll have to wait a turn. Unfortunate.

Turn 4:

Iiql5tir o

I'll label this side team familia

Garcia is just an armor through abs.

Qw5fowse o

Master of all but his cursed fate.

Unless he....

challenges his FATE

Turn 5:

Onmewgxo o

There they are. Ah, we can just ignore them.

Turn 6:

70tdywi0 o

Tomahawk, a clear reference to Tirado's obsession with catching hawks.

This one shots Colm though, so no door or chest for him. Least Lute toughs it out.

Svmwxnds o

He and Harold should be friends.

Turn 7:

Iae39t1b o

3w1gdsxm o

The chapter is more designed around you saving her, but the moment is the moment.

Gipqwkcn o

C9c6gy9v o

Wmldr1j2 o

Pknscahf o

I'm surprised she doesn't just pass out and Ephraim loses 20 speed. That would suck though, please don't do that.

Dkbeeidn o

This is actually what Ephraim reacted to just now. She just ran in a room full of armors. Shook the whole screen.

Iik57tq3 o

Ross doubling mercs. Garcia sheds a tear.

4eidmlr4 o

You are mocking Harold. 18.

Vfmcix7v o

Damn it Erika! That's the 2nd flop in a row. I know, you're weeping and sweeping, but give me something more! pwease?

Rxmyv7ai o

Lucky crit.

Turn 8:

Mjgds8pw o

Boys. Ruben, you're most of boys. Who get? Ross would blatantly do the most with it, but it's like selling more private information to China. He has more than enough to kill everyone. Neimi? Don't get hit. Hmm.

Zg3ehpbg o

Speaking of which.

P0h9z17x o

Wait what? I press backspace and Colm can die? How?

Hwaczsmf o

Son of a-

Okay, so I have to rescue abuse. How fun. Thank goodness for that. I can't lose my only thief now. But I can't exactly reach that mage and the archer uses a longbow. How annoying. Turtle power.

Turn 10:

Kd1akzbp o

Harold is actually my best multi-baiter, and the archer runs right into Ephraim. 

Turn 11:

Mky4xpwz o

Spooky.

There really wasn't much to talk about these past 4 turns. It's a lot of just turtling because getting hit by bolting leaves me susceptible to a one shot from anyone else, so you mostly just have to wait out the boltings. I respect the idea, but it is a little tedious when you have no realistic way to approach them without insta dying. I suppose it makes some strategies more interesting. Taking out the mages while the bolting guy is here can be challenging. Or you use Harold. He's got good res. And defense. And health. And attack and speed. Man...

Turn 12: L'arachel can't reach through the broken bridge. Thank God.

Turn 13:

3jb1iopl o

Finally.

Wraiscyo o

I like this support chain. It's a much better use of the Est concept than on Est herself, even though this is now become its own early farmer archetype. Did Ross start that? Do we call Jean a Ross archetype?

Turn 14:

Foyeexpd o

I wonder when I'll promote her.

Lt4pej2c o

Sis think she Etie💀

I rarely showed the left side, but some of the team did suffer from 5x's mid hit syndrome. They still have their steels that I can't do much about. A few could swap with others, but not a lot of wiggle room in the tight halls. I'll need that skill and luck, but her strength looks much less impressive now from the disturbing gains of Neimi. 

6p0d3dfm o

What the hell!? Forde! Poor Kyle.

Wait, didn't a certain youtuber say Forde was the bad one? Unlucky!

Qvwqc9td o

Well at least his speed is balancing out...

Turn 15:

Kpgaeaia o

Nevermind. I guess she is Etie. Neimi could do this too though. 

But now it's the end for the general.

A7ltcobu o

Suhybaxu o

Hknwo6uu o

Damn. Hits hard.

Zngj92ct o

1aksgjor o

Hofylbag o

Something tells me you won't pity him this time.

Pdqiopwg o

How to make a character: make them angy

9jp9kxn8 o

Xp5dolcq o

N1etb3z7 o

Idju3yg2 o

FwFwqlY.png

Pcibuq5l o

Ahh2mp3f o

Ciitid6c o

X3jhnweh o

Yes. Let the hate floow through you.

I am not a good person.

Turn 16: (chests)

Okefepzv o

There's the end. Maybe this run I'll actually feel motivated enough to actually let Erika kill story bosses. Probably not. Orson sure, but you know damn well who gets to kill Formortis.

Spoiler

Gs5sed6f o

Wcfvjvnm o

Ybm9g933 o

65qv3ier o

You brought Ross. That's what counts.

Krvexguz o

Lu4jec4k o

09nwytit o

Qyk3cft0 o

Jtgiamkd o

O1iges1y o

Lypdgu5a o

0mqdplb4 o

More Moulder shilling.

Q3apoxqv o

No Myrhh that's just the northern lights.

Mnbzhdur o

Seth...your demise was supposed to be a sorrowful one...

The reunion "chapter" has so many words, it might be its own post. Just a heads up.

Story wise, great chapter. No, the best chapter. Finally. No more Seth, and you did it in a narratively compelling way too. Well done. As they say "fr fr, no cap". I liked the writing quite a bit, even if the face was utterly hilarious to me. Sorry if I offended on that regard. 

Gameplay wise, it's alright. Definitely better than the last 2, and I always njoy splitting my team in 2, and at Erika is only split for a very short time, just enough to feel that the bridge was blown for something useful that helped the boss, giving Erika that brief moment of absolute despair and hopelessness. Not much else to say. The map does get very slow later on, and there's a lot of turns that's just walking, but a lot of that is around the map itself. The thief spawning in the center when you're already there was always an odd time to spawn them in the base game though. They're never really a danger to your chests, but all regular reinforcements seem to be left intact for the hack, so I guess unless you added a turned based thief, there isn't really any downside to turtle strats like waiting far outside for all 5 bolt uses or having your team regroup.

Here you go Ruben:

wvjSG5D.png

The 2 songs used for this chapter are "Lyon (organ arragement)" and "Lights in the Dark"

With his 500 million IQ, Ruben made the prep theme remain as the sad Lyon music that isn't at all about lyon here, to add emotion. Bravo Rubenio. One problem. You should be playing celebratory music.

Light in the Dark is an interesting pick. It's fitting in the sense that it's grim, but it's not a map song, so the loop is a little odd and isn't made to have the..."map" vibe. "Friendship" sounded a bit more natural and the maps there were really short anyways, whereas this one takes a lot of walking. Personally, I just muted the map since I know FE8 music more than enough and played Broken Bonds from FE Engage. It was pretty cool.

Me and the boys after Ruben Stones chapter 8:

EmJ9hvL.png

S tier game

I have been waiting for this.

Spoiler
13 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I imagine it'll be a while before that happens. I won't ask you to perfect your hack. I haven't even finished my FE12 pmu after all. That said, I do believe some tweakings would be greatly appreciated given how it would help you see what problems occurred, and when you do find everything that makes the maps click, you can learn from that. 

Of course. I thank you for your insight, either way.

13 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

You're not a Ross enjoyer?

Truth be told, not really. I always liked his dad better.

Pobre Ruben.

Fair enough. Maybe you can force teehee and/or Anon to do it all for you. Hard for you to threaten others though, given your lack of any weapon.

I can make you write me supports.

To quote Palpatine from the only good Star Wars movie: "Use my knowledge, I beg you".

Now that you've actually played it, I think you can probably imagine why I just wanted to speed past this map.

15 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

eBgIKRY.png

Oh this is gonna be good.

Wvnkioxc o

Ruben: "Grr, this scene never made sense! How do 2 soldiers destroy the bridge behind you from several tiles away? Make them mages I must!

Come on. I nailed it, right?

I cannot deny it. Half of this map's changes were motivated by the realization, as I read through the intro and thought about it, that the start of this map makes absolutely no fucking sense. I mean, c'mon, the boss is just done gloating about how the bridge is gone and then Eirika's entire army just sort of teleports to her side.

17 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Ug2irvnc o

Seth just died.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

YEEEAAHH BABY!!! THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! THAT'S WHAT'S IT'S ALL ABOUT!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

I fucking love you Ruben!

Every time you told me to nerf Seth, my grin only grew larger.

Fun fact: Alongside Fado's survival, this was the other idea that I had in my mind when I started the hack. It is also by far the biggest change of them all. I had to rewrite the entire game because of this. Regrets: None.

No, no no no. This is fine. This is a time to celebrate. Sacred Stones just got 10 times better. I need to praise Ruben when he deserves it. I applaud and dance. 3 Houses cheers for Saint Rubenio! Hip hip! Kaga! Hip hip! Science! Hip hip! Lindon!

This time, the door's right there. I could reach there pretty fast. And the narrative's pretty cool here. The bridge being destroyed actually means something, and this does feel like a rare good Kaga moment. Even though 6x had a reason and it had an important story moment, the prison escape thing didn't feel nearly as necessary or impactful given it being a made up chapter about joke characters that easily could end a run. This fits in way better, even if I'd like for her not to be alone in an ironman.

This is where the real Ruben Stones begins.

Although now everything makes much more sense now. Why the hell did 6x insist on Seth x Erika moments? It didn't feel Ruben-like. I shoulda known, you devious bastard. I love that about ya. 

Heh... Honestly, I was afraid you'd figure it out earlier. The fact that I didn't nerf Seth's growths to the ground should've been a pretty clear indicator that something was going to happen to keep him from being a god long term. But then, I guess it's hard to expect someone making a simple rebalance would have the eggs to murderize a belover character for it.

Especially with the chapter title change, that's pretty blatant. Yeah, Shakes didn't mention it, but the chapter is now called "Sacrifice." Appropriately edgy, I'd say.

Great scene, as much as I liked to rag on it. It was interesting seeing the subtle changes of how the boss's dialogue was reworded in comparison to the original (yes I looked up the vanilla on youtube), and being the pathetic Dimitri fan I am, I love characters losing something and going crazy for a bit, because now I associate everything with him instead of the dozen other FE characters who experienced this before him.

I am so happy you've enjoyed it exactly as much as I knew you would.

19 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Honestly, the only thing that ruined it was the face. Now, me being Shaky Jones, I was smiling from ear to ear just for Seth's death, but also because I could not take her tears seriously. 

Gniok3hr o

What the actual hell is going on with her eyes here? It's demonic. Of course, this is mostly in jest. I know that you're not a master of sprite making, and I'd do no better, but it's impossible to just reduce someone's anime eyes by 80% and not have them become uncanny. It was so funny when presented right at the most serious part of the game. She looked like a disgusted mother saddened that her child is 27 and still a neet. But, ya know, good job on everything else, and you get 5 platinum stars for finally getting rid of that accursed sack of shi-

Nah, that's fine. I've gotten complaints about the face before. I am no spriter and this was pretty tough to make. Still, didn't stop people who like Seth more than you or I from getting hit like a truck in the feels by this. And then coming to the hack threads to tell me I'm a horrible person, to my great delight.

...It kinda looks like Peri's sad face, now that I look at it...

20 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

It'd be cool if she temporarily got +3 to all stats or something, but I doubt that could be done.

It actually could be done, and it might be a nice way to prevent a softlock. Add it to the pile of Shaky ideas, I guess.

24 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Jdribgec o

Depending on your Erika, this may or may not involve rng. My Erika with the lance reaver can survive both enemies if they hit (the paladin is quite accurate while the soldier isn't). If Erika is completely untrained, she could actually get doubled and killed by the paladin, and the lancereaver somewhat weighing her down doesn't help. With no Seth, you wouldn't have a way to rush to the paladin as early as turn 2, and Vanessa likely won't do crap, because she never does. Speed shouldn't be an issue, as you really should AT LEAST have Erika be lvl 7 or something by now, and her speed growth is pretty good. It's really her defense that's shaky, and not enough levels will mean her Hp would suck too. But, at least if you're not doing an ironman, you should be able to dodge at least one and dying is a small reset. For ironman enthusiasts that want a difficult FE8 experience, a statistically average lvl 10 Erika should be enough to survive with the lancereaver. The paladin can have either 22 or 23 total might, and the turn 2 soldier 19. An average Ruben Stones lvl 10 Erika would likely have 25 HP and 7 defense. With the reaver, you'd take 14 and 10 damage respectively, and you should have more than enough speed to be fine. I had one less defense, but 3 more HP, and a luckier paladin roll (not that it would've made a difference), although very unlucky Erikas or untrained ones will need the soldier dodge that's somewhere from 25 to 33 hit depending what how dodgy your Erika is, and true hit probably makes that lower. I hate any kind of dodge strats whatsoever, but at least a lot of the statistics are in your favor compared to 6x, and I suppose the average ironman player would naturally want to feed the lord a lot, especially in the hack where you actually do both routes. That said, rip to stat screwed Erikas. Lord knows how many bad Roys and Ikes I've had. And Eliwood. Hate him.

Hope you enjoyed that bit of math. I had fun nerding a bit.

There are some scenarios in which this could go awry, but it's probably a lot less likely than 6x, especially with Eirika's buffs. I think I'm fine with this.

24 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Vy1cu1a3 o

Xvalamcx o

This monk is oddly strong. It's annoying when he has crit and a surpisngly decent dodge stat. Many had 60 hit and my archer had 50. A crit OHKO's everyone, and no one one rounds this guy. 

Oh wow, I knew I buffed monks, but... Sheesh.

Qw5fowse o

Master of all but his cursed fate.

Unless he....

challenges his FATE

Goddess icon time!

70tdywi0 o

Tomahawk, a clear reference to Tirado's obsession with catching hawks.

Fun fact: Tirado in Spanish means "thrown." Colloquially, it's also used as an adjective for something that is really easy.

I always like pointing this out, because it's always been highly risible to me. It's like if there was a boss called "Scrub." The Spanish version of FE8, predictably, changed his name to Tatoh. Alongside Innes, who became James. lol

26 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Pknscahf o

I'm surprised she doesn't just pass out and Ephraim loses 20 speed. That would suck though, please don't do that.

No. No damselling. Who are you, Kaga?

26 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Vfmcix7v o

Damn it Erika! That's the 2nd flop in a row. I know, you're weeping and sweeping, but give me something more! pwease?

"Pwease"?

No wonder she's not working hard, she's embarrassed by you. Shaky, more like, Shawy.

Mjgds8pw o

Boys. Ruben, you're most of boys. Who get? Ross would blatantly do the most with it, but it's like selling more private information to China. He has more than enough to kill everyone. Neimi? Don't get hit. Hmm.

Give it to Novala.

Mky4xpwz o

Spooky.

There really wasn't much to talk about these past 4 turns. It's a lot of just turtling because getting hit by bolting leaves me susceptible to a one shot from anyone else, so you mostly just have to wait out the boltings. I respect the idea, but it is a little tedious when you have no realistic way to approach them without insta dying. I suppose it makes some strategies more interesting. Taking out the mages while the bolting guy is here can be challenging. Or you use Harold. He's got good res. And defense. And health. And attack and speed. Man...

Oof.

Eh, a small snag in the chapter that killed Seth.

Lt4pej2c o

Sis think she Etie💀

She even has a similar color scheme. Huh. I promise, she was created before Etie was a thing. Even considering Engage's massive development cycle, I made her for my Berwick LP years ago.

28 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I'll need that skill and luck, but her strength looks much less impressive now from the disturbing gains of Neimi. 

That's fine, for reasons that will become clear in time.

30 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

0mqdplb4 o

More Moulder shilling.

And more to come.

30 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Story wise, great chapter. No, the best chapter. Finally. No more Seth, and you did it in a narratively compelling way too. Well done. As they say "fr fr, no cap". I liked the writing quite a bit, even if the face was utterly hilarious to me. Sorry if I offended on that regard. 

Nah, I'm not that delusional, I know the portrait's iffy.

39 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Here you go Ruben:

wvjSG5D.png

I shall brandish it with pride.

39 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

The 2 songs used for this chapter are "Lyon (organ arragement)" and "Lights in the Dark"

With his 500 million IQ, Ruben made the prep theme remain as the sad Lyon music that isn't at all about lyon here, to add emotion. Bravo Rubenio. One problem. You should be playing celebratory music.

Light in the Dark is an interesting pick. It's fitting in the sense that it's grim, but it's not a map song, so the loop is a little odd and isn't made to have the..."map" vibe. "Friendship" sounded a bit more natural and the maps there were really short anyways, whereas this one takes a lot of walking. Personally, I just muted the map since I know FE8 music more than enough and played Broken Bonds from FE Engage. It was pretty cool.

Don't forget the enemy phase theme! It's Jahn's theme from FE6. I absolutely love this track, it's such a travesty that it's stuck on a pitiful jobber of a boss that dies in one round and potentially doesn't even exist.

Replies:

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Truth be told, not really. I always liked his dad better.

They're a duo.

I can make you write me supports.

I'd gladly write supports with Harold and whoever the next buff guy is.

Now that you've actually played it, I think you can probably imagine why I just wanted to speed past this map.

Woooow. So desperate for the climax, unable to take joy in the buildup.

I cannot deny it. Half of this map's changes were motivated by the realization, as I read through the intro and thought about it, that the start of this map makes absolutely no fucking sense. I mean, c'mon, the boss is just done gloating about how the bridge is gone and then Eirika's entire army just sort of teleports to her side.

Another point for Dr Shaky Jones.

Every time you told me to nerf Seth, my grin only grew larger.

Yes yes, post the Grinch grin again already. You're literally the Grinch, and I'm Skeletor if he was terminally online.

Fun fact: Alongside Fado's survival, this was the other idea that I had in my mind when I started the hack. It is also by far the biggest change of them all. I had to rewrite the entire game because of this. Regrets: None.

Holy based.

This is where the real Ruben Stones begins.

The real Ruben Stones were the friends we lost along the way.

Heh... Honestly, I was afraid you'd figure it out earlier. The fact that I didn't nerf Seth's growths to the ground should've been a pretty clear indicator that something was going to happen to keep him from being a god long term. But then, I guess it's hard to expect someone making a simple rebalance would have the eggs to murderize a beloved character for it.

I was getting super suspicious about it, but you have made terrible decisions before. Seriously, who tries glitching the game just to leave with the fucking platinum chip, and Yes man over Mr House? I point and laugh. That and the fact that killing him would change so much of the writing would make me assume that you would mainly stick to rewrites involving Fado alone, maybe with tweaks to characters you didn't think much of before. Base wise, while I didn't agree, it at least made sense that you'd keep them out of the fact that the game is naturally harder, but the growths thing was still ludicrous. The 6x stuff was also odd, but I was honestly more preoccupied with ranting over the chapter design itself to even think that hard on it. I just shrugged it off as trying to make more of a character out of Seth later on, with this being something made to appeal to casual players, not that they'd be the kind to download difficulty hacks. One more slip up, and I imagined I would've figured it out, so good on you for doing it right before I probably would've permabenched him.

Especially with the chapter title change, that's pretty blatant. Yeah, Shakes didn't mention it, but the chapter is now called "Sacrifice." Appropriately edgy, I'd say.

For fuck's sake...

If anything, it's a favor that I didn't mention it. What are you, Blazer? I didn't even pay attention to that until I beat the chapter, and most of my eyes were covered by my shit eating grin touching my temples.

I am so happy you've enjoyed it exactly as much as I knew you would.

I am very predictable.

19 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nah, that's fine. I've gotten complaints about the face before. I am no spriter and this was pretty tough to make. Still, didn't stop people who like Seth more than you or I from getting hit like a truck in the feels by this. And then coming to the hack threads to tell me I'm a horrible person, to my great delight.

Bros think they Mufasa

I don't see the problem. That's just a better game. What's so special about Seth? Being a loyal knight? Umm, try Vander. Unless it's that Seth is young. Cringe. 

...It kinda looks like Peri's sad face, now that I look at it...

Great. Now that voice is gonna be stuck on me for Erika.

It actually could be done, and it might be a nice way to prevent a softlock. Add it to the pile of Shaky ideas, I guess.

Yes another point for Dr Shaky Jones! 5 Points finna quake in fear when I'm done here.

It could make a strong Erika possible to actually solo the first set of enemies, making Tirado actually believe that it's possible that she could've done it, since really there's no way in hell that she can fight them as is, or at the very least, bad Erika's can live for a few turns.

There are some scenarios in which this could go awry, but it's probably a lot less likely than 6x, especially with Eirika's buffs. I think I'm fine with this.

When I think 6x, the first thing that comes to mind is Fe12. Now this is the 2nd one I think of. 6x has a terrible track record.

Oh wow, I knew I buffed monks, but... Sheesh.

Something I swear is a GBAFE problem is enemies with remotely decent speed just being dodgy. Now, he's not insane, but given that this is team steel lance that spawns there, it doesn't help you when everyone has 60 hit. I still remember enjoying the Black Dragon unit chapters of SoHaE on a difficulty scale, but it was annoying that their high stats translated directly to being dodgy, which made you combine trying your best with just crossing your fingers and hoping you don't miss. This isn't a problem in FE12, or most modern FE's except 3 Houses early game and late game. I'd rather not choose between nerfing enemies to make them easy or having them be rng to win. 

The real issue aside from steel emblem is really just the crit. Most light tomes have small crit. I'd just get rid of it if possible since how many players actually rely on that tiny crit chance themselves? They really shouldn't. I like hard hitting enemies, and this one being fast isn't like, super fast. They're ruined by being hard to hit with the risk of missing being insta death by crit. At least someone like iron bow Neimi could probably obliterate them if their tome had no crit.

Goddess icon time!

Maybe you should add a few of those in the game. Replace some chests if you have to. Fuckin Artur, Harold, Moulder, Melville, even Novala. You just love 0 luck units don't you?

Fun fact: Tirado in Spanish means "thrown." Colloquially, it's also used as an adjective for something that is really easy.

I always like pointing this out, because it's always been highly risible to me. It's like if there was a boss called "Scrub." The Spanish version of FE8, predictably, changed his name to Tatoh. Alongside Innes, who became James. lol

Because the English names we have are so beyond Scrub, like Ruud and Bone. 

No. No damselling. Who are you, Kaga?

No, I'm the Shadows of Valentia dev.

"Pwease"?

No wonder she's not working hard, she's embarrassed by you. Shaky, more like, Shawy.

My bone-ness clearly wasn't working. I needed to see if stooping to teehee-ism is what she wanted. Sadly she got a perfect level after.

Give it to Novala.

cI4i1BE.png

That's fine, for reasons that will become clear in time.

Don't kill Neimi.

I shall brandish it with pride.

I wonder how your trophy case fares now.

Don't forget the enemy phase theme! It's Jahn's theme from FE6. I absolutely love this track, it's such a travesty that it's stuck on a pitiful jobber of a boss that dies in one round and potentially doesn't even exist.

At least killing him with Marcus was kinda cool. 

There Is No Stone: Get Out

Spoiler

All I do in this post is point out minor changes. I'm like a reaction youtuber. 

Kxjhnpfh o

Wgcqhro0 o

Feewxlb0 o

Yxhw4moj o

Erika is too busy coping to have a scene right now, so Moulder once again takes her place, because of course he does.

Ephraim is now saying Erika's lines, and Moulder says some of Ephraim's lines right now, but in a professional matter.

Yb3e875l o

Flashback is mostly identical, but Ephraim is on the screen the entire time instead of Erika.

Ulceefef o

Aesdm22r o

Again, much of the dialogue is nearly identical, simply stated by different people (now Moulder speaks for Erika). Obviously, Moulder doesn't know Lyon, so he begins by clarifying that much, but continues to state verbatim exactly what Erika would've said, so fuckin A+ prediction my guy.

668vrru6 o

In other words, he's a beta.

C5aoqpbe o

Oh boy, new. I love new.

6x7lboaq o

X9yfhgmi o

Terminally online Erika.

Pmbnnvtu o

F7sepjsi o

The pain of loss blinds her perception of the truth, much like Genealogy fans still being emotionally wounded from one fictional cutscene that makes them think the entire game is good.

E3lqmzaw o

5tskjfgf o

P6gzzhgp o

It's Ruben's. Literally. You should beat him up.

Juzxsuxj o

I'll count the time.

Wruz6ne9 o

M0jnnqpt o

Actual comedy gold.

What's better, my cat keeps chasing her tail right now. What an adorable fool. It's all too funny.

K37tri8l o

Yes. Begone.

Ds4uxhok o

Nice excuse.

S2sgc0pi o

0nwhkvxq o

It always does my heart good to see you Drau. Never change.

G9ilkfjl o

Alright buddy, talk to ya later.

Man, no matter how many times I play this game, I can't skip his scenes.

Wz8hdij3 o

Oekkdqv6 o

Qlcxhug5 o

I certainly won't find any standing around you. Leave.

Cb4henht o

Er5o15nu o

Er5o15nu o

Kjz0bxjc o

K0a3k93j o

Jphevfc4 o

Because absolutely no one else can do it.

Of course. If Novala had lived, this would've been his time to shine.

Ejf2bu5x o

Twvveolv o

Gs27yx0x o

I assume another reason Seth had a talk with him so early in the game. I really shipped them. I still think Erika should be with a Sacred Stone.

Nn3tihfm o

For a while, they go back to the usual spiel, whining over their saucy stones and why Grado ignored their minecraft server invitation, but specifically here for whatever reason, Ruben just included Hay Man praising Ephraim for rescuing tiny dragon girl. It's like 4 words on screen of just "yeah, I don't like letting people die". Wow. I never knew that about him. Now let's move on because that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Bqmriphf o

It's crazy how subtle this insinuation is. You really need to dig deep through his support lines to fully understand the history those 2 had, but man was it worth it. Of course, people ignore him and only talk about quirky Black Eagles supports, labeling such as grandiloquent dialogue. 

Gqpm7oh9 o

Maybe we kill him in Ruben Stones

Zldzaonf o

It's so funny that they're told that it's important for them to remain here, when Drau could just obliterate the enemy forces if he went over Innes. Classic crappy FE excuses.

Mnpb5zw5 o

3 minutes and 42 seconds. Well done.

Rjur54fo o

Erika fans seeing Erika being a character.

Br7l72ur o

Zahbefjl o

I can work with this.

Ljohajqg o

Rhpre8qd o

Fxjwiomm o

If7zrtpc o

Rjihz4aa o

FE6 fans scratch their heads in confusion.

Bgx2liia o

So what voice am I supposed to imagine right now?

Jecbh7zg o

Mcx36s0p o

Your rout is easier, and you're stronger than Ephraim in almost every way. You'll be fine.

Tsolbkmg o

Foolishness Ephraim, foolishness.

A lot of this scene is played out the same, but the delivery feels....well it feels. 

The main difference is that some of the !'s have been removed, so she's more stern. 

Kdhaszdp o

Ukbizd3n o

She is slightly more concerned at the end though, instead of just saying "yeah, you're Ephraim, you'll be fine".

Rxxoo8dd o

Q37usu7y o

Znsvqxku o

Oh, you're gonna tell him now? I wonder how he reacts.

Utafjqne o

Of course...

Zkxeg7cu o

Jb8np1tl o

Hi5s54wc o

Ckdoz5ko o

Lyil5jsj o

I'm just going to guess every Ephraim map is now an x chapter. Don't make me permanently stuck with Steel Emblem. I want to hit things. I guess there's the prep screen armory for irons, but no slims. Well, this will be interesting at least. Both routes. Perhaps one day our hacks will become advanced enough to where you split your army across both routes and control the map Echoes style. Probably never, but this is a neat 2nd.

Bl9m9bli o

So why are you accepting aide?

Qlc1bvqh o

She did not take Forde calling Ephraim invincible lightly.

Txnymkna o

Noolrrny o

Yes, now she's not Erika at all anymore. How will this game be a Gaiden reference now!? 

Poor vanilla Erika fans. All 8 of them. I'm sure she's popular in Heroes, but they don't play real Fire Emblem.

04uugygj o

Yodbywri o

Xjifezmd o

Ocokrd5g o

You are level 3 and completely unarmed.

Mwbzkti1 o

Xj561o6d o

Izmyscuz o

Efk8jrbq o

Qiyxpmoy o

Really, Forde and Kyle should've been Ephraim locked, but Ruben needs room for his monstrous OC's.

Egacowyg o

536uaxtd o

By1lcyst o

Rfdzpr1c o

Cy1sywcv o

Nf0qgh0o o

9ozwj2je o

I could kill you so you can join him if it makes you feel any better.

Cxpumdpu o

1eillky5 o

7mqbzzyz o

Don't worry. Her becoming a 3rd (Gaiden) Alm will prevent her from having a Celica moment.

Nzptfufz o

Yes. That is horrid. Get it away at once.

Ajp4ftw2 o

688rzqy1 o

Well now I have to find out what happens.

Terrible post. No Gilliam Gaming. Fell asleep in boredom. Had nightmare of Erika face. Woke up. Ate food. Did post.

Really, I just want to get this out so I can play chapter 9 already. Didn't feel like lumping these together. Think of it like a bite size post. Easy Ruben reply.

My birthday's in a couple of weeks. What are you all going to get me?

Spoiler
22 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Woooow. So desperate for the climax, unable to take joy in the buildup.

Seth was still alive in the build-up.

I was getting super suspicious about it, but you have made terrible decisions before. Seriously, who tries glitching the game just to leave with the fucking platinum chip, and Yes man over Mr House? I point and laugh.

Screw you, it was a funnier ending than the others.

That and the fact that killing him would change so much of the writing would make me assume that you would mainly stick to rewrites involving Fado alone, maybe with tweaks to characters you didn't think much of before.

You underestimate my pettiness.

Base wise, while I didn't agree, it at least made sense that you'd keep them out of the fact that the game is naturally harder, but the growths thing was still ludicrous. The 6x stuff was also odd, but I was honestly more preoccupied with ranting over the chapter design itself to even think that hard on it. I just shrugged it off as trying to make more of a character out of Seth later on, with this being something made to appeal to casual players, not that they'd be the kind to download difficulty hacks. One more slip up, and I imagined I would've figured it out, so good on you for doing it right before I probably would've permabenched him.

You fell right into my trap, I made 6x intentionally cockcrushing so nobody would notice how oddly specific the Seth moments were

Bros think they Mufasa

I don't see the problem. That's just a better game. What's so special about Seth? Being a loyal knight? Umm, try Vander. Unless it's that Seth is young. Cringe. 

Considering the amount of people that seem to ship Eirika and Seth, yeah, it 100% is that Seth is young.

When I think 6x, the first thing that comes to mind is Fe12. Now this is the 2nd one I think of. 6x has a terrible track record.

Even further: Consider that FE7 is like a side story to 6. Technically, all of 7 is FE6x. It truly lines up!

Maybe you should add a few of those in the game. Replace some chests if you have to. Fuckin Artur, Harold, Moulder, Melville, even Novala. You just love 0 luck units don't you?

Replace the boots with a goddess icon, is what you're saying?

Because the English names we have are so beyond Scrub, like Ruud and Bone. 

Bone is a brigand, nobody cares about brigands.

Ruud is a real name.

Yxhw4moj o

Erika is too busy coping to have a scene right now, so Moulder once again takes her place, because of course he does.

Honestly, if I hadn't settled for the edgy name, I probably could've just called this Moulder Stones and called it a day.

Obviously, Moulder doesn't know Lyon, so he begins by clarifying that much, but continues to state verbatim exactly what Erika would've said, so fuckin A+ prediction my guy.

He's the prince of the continent's biggest power. He ought to be known, to an extent.

0nwhkvxq o

It always does my heart good to see you Drau. Never change.

What?

G9ilkfjl o

Alright buddy, talk to ya later.

Man, no matter how many times I play this game, I can't skip his scenes.

Ah, I see, so your joke for him is...

Yeah, you're right, Drau truly is amazing.

Jphevfc4 o

Because absolutely no one else can do it.

I mean, think about it. Who among Eirika's group really could? Eirika's personal aide is dead. Gilliam and Vanessa are simple soldiers. Everyone else is a nobody who's just tagging along, unfit for this occasion. Moulder, meanwhile, is stated to be an advisor directly serving Hayden and later Innes in his ending. He's definitely high ranking enough for this. I will not deny the reason behind 99% of the extra Moulder content is that Moulder enjoys eight stones of dev bias (that's 50.80232 kilograms of dev bias), but I'll still say it makes sense for it to be him, all things considered.

Of course. If Novala had lived, this would've been his time to shine.

True, I forgot Novala. He totally is important enough to stand before kings. Ruben Stones is ruined.

Nn3tihfm o

For a while, they go back to the usual spiel, whining over their saucy stones and why Grado ignored their minecraft server invitation, but specifically here for whatever reason, Ruben just included Hay Man praising Ephraim for rescuing tiny dragon girl. It's like 4 words on screen of just "yeah, I don't like letting people die". Wow. I never knew that about him. Now let's move on because that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I think that was just attempt #2 at giving Hayden the slightest bit of character in the last of two scenes he gets.

Bqmriphf o

It's crazy how subtle this insinuation is. You really need to dig deep through his support lines to fully understand the history those 2 had, but man was it worth it. Of course, people ignore him and only talk about quirky Black Eagles supports, labeling such as grandiloquent dialogue. 

This guy is only here because Seth had lines in this scene that wouldn't have fit Boulder. I could have removed them, but for some reason I always thought it was kinda funny how Seth deadpanly describes Selena and then goes "she's the one." The one what, Seth? What do you mean? This is why you are dead.

Zldzaonf o

It's so funny that they're told that it's important for them to remain here, when Drau could just obliterate the enemy forces if he went over Innes. Classic crappy FE excuses.

...You know, you'd probably change your tune if you knew who this guy is a (slight) reference to.

Rjihz4aa o

FE6 fans scratch their heads in confusion.

Obviously, the idea of a Jeigan that falls off or dies is utterly foreign to FE6 fans.

Znsvqxku o

Oh, you're gonna tell him now? I wonder how he reacts.

Utafjqne o

Of course...

Yeah too much effort, I don't care enough about Ephraim

Honestly though, more on that later. A fair bit later, in fact. I'm not sure why I did it like that.

Qiyxpmoy o

Really, Forde and Kyle should've been Ephraim locked, but Ruben needs room for his monstrous OC's.

Eh, not really, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I really just wanted to maintain the cute little knight exchange they do in vanilla. That, and Franz needed to go to Grado for Amelia's sake.

Terrible post. No Gilliam Gaming. Fell asleep in boredom. Had nightmare of Erika face. Woke up. Ate food. Did post.

Really, I just want to get this out so I can play chapter 9 already. Didn't feel like lumping these together. Think of it like a bite size post. Easy Ruben reply.

It really was very easy.

My birthday's in a couple of weeks. What are you all going to get me?

What, you're not content with the gift I've already given you?

Replies:

Spoiler
On 3/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Screw you, it was a funnier ending than the others.

nIv9YaW.png

You underestimate my pettiness.

So true bestie

Technically, all of 7 is FE6x. It truly lines up!

Can't forget about the OG title, FEX.

Replace the boots with a goddess icon, is what you're saying?

Reject timbs. Embrace God's love.

Bone is a brigand, nobody cares about brigands.

Fuck you.

He's the prince of the continent's biggest power. He ought to be known, to an extent.

Enough to know just as much as a childhood friend. Erika learnt nothing new.

I mean, think about it. Who among Eirika's group really could? Eirika's personal aide is dead. Gilliam and Vanessa are simple soldiers. Everyone else is a nobody who's just tagging along, unfit for this occasion. Moulder, meanwhile, is stated to be an advisor directly serving Hayden and later Innes in his ending. He's definitely high ranking enough for this. I will not deny the reason behind 99% of the extra Moulder content is that Moulder enjoys eight stones of dev bias (that's 50.80232 kilograms of dev bias), but I'll still say it makes sense for it to be him, all things considered.

At this point, I really will need to make my own romhack. Yes, it will be Gilliam. I don't care.

...You know, you'd probably change your tune if you knew who this guy is a (slight) reference to.

Ruben, you gotta stop taking credit. You did not make this dude. And don't give me that Kaga thing either. This game came out before Berwick, unless it's Tear Ring. What, there can't be 2 games of based bearded boys without it being theft? You elitists are too much sometimes, smh.

Eh, not really, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I really just wanted to maintain the cute little knight exchange they do in vanilla. That, and Franz needed to go to Grado for Amelia's sake.

It's odd to me. I just feel like Forde and Kyle are like, his boys. I always found it weird that he can tell them to leave. Dunno. They just feel Ephraim only to me. 

What, you're not content with the gift I've already given you?

No. I gave you Feeler Vyland showdown. We're even now.

Sethless Stones 9: Kill It With Fire

Spoiler

I had a bad dream. Please show me something sweet so I don't dream it again.

Avcerv7b o

MY HOUSE!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?

No, no no no, this is okay. I don't live in the Tower of Valni. I'm literally anywhere else! Hahahaha! I'll be fine! I'll be...I'll- I'll live.....

No grinding for anyone. Over 2000 skeletons and zombies. Dead overnight. Ruben blew up the Tower of Valni. We will be avenged for this tragedy.

Spoiler

Ucljtgug o

Welcome back. You better not be British!

Bg4w1bhl o

Added words. Aww man.

614yifgj o

Mpflur7m o

28sRmD4.png

3qfwmkjx o

Tkbmrrlq o

xul55eX.png

Vsgi1av6 o

Bw0ammy4 o

I refuse to get a job.  I need every hour to spend with my parasocially addicting streamer.

Np5li60x o

Nu17s5xg o

It7avrph o

This is getting childish.

Xwzg9ozb o

Parent spooking their spoiled child. If I got to rule a nation with my rotting wife, I'd rebuild it to make gas chambers for everyone I don't like for us to watch perish together.

Qryuthy2 o

Qwku7v9h o

Who tf is this raisin?

Ol25f4oa o

Cdsoeget o

It's easy to be rebellious to mom and dad, but you can never talk back to grandma.

N9u1e0za o

N9u1e0za o

You don't wanna know.

Ecjswop4 o

Tana, go back to being a damsel in distress. I don't want you here.

Xt6lz8ox o

If only FE let me choose things.

3g5gas2q o

FE8 players playing an actual strategy game for the first time.

Qkkegnrz o

Of fucking course he did.

Odkx4fjr o

Hayden assigns Erika with a vulnerary.

R3yeaao6 o

Ti0fquzx o

Yes, Gilliam would be more fitting. Shaky Stones here I come.

I do hope you've gotten used to the Erika face by now. I haven't.

Smxro3au o

Joshua? I benched him to not scare off IS employees, but I suppose I can hear this one out. 

I don't even dislike Tana that much, because I'm too busy hating Vanessa, even if Tana is the much more popular one. Typically, I despise early fliers, am tolerant to mid fliers (can vary), and think Syrene is cool as hell. Wish I could like Juno, but she holds back on her conservative takes in FE6.

She was extremely busted the last time I used her, but I don't want to use her now. I don't need to say why.

X78k2zp0 o

What the hell am I looking at?

Turn 1:

Xq5qxjak o

Bnmxcpuh o

Vupjnbok o

7vswqb7s o

Ggjypay8 o

You won't.

3zjacpjt o

Yfaovsgx o

528ax4en o

Ach8rtto o

Jbgutzbh o

Too big. It's a job the for the boiz. You cannot handle the weight. 

Aevx32vy o

Eeozdcid o

Hyvgeo8a o

FwFwqlY.png

Xuusx9lg o

Ehln75sp o

It's not too late to fly back you self-absorbed bi-

D72j6we1 o

It might not look like it at first glance, but this chapter is one of the most ridiculous and BS-like one in the game if you want the villages saved, and Ruben Stones only adds to the ludicrousness of saving a town. Pirates appear extremely early far too close to the town, and they book for it. It's ridiculously hard to reach for a game that's supposedly the easiest, which is hilarious given that this is the first chapter of the easy route. Admittedly, you usually could just Seth it in vanilla, but I go into this game assuming you instabench him to have a game to play. Here, that's obviously not a choice, and most cavs won't be strong enough to tank the 5+ enemies that have been buffed. Gilliam is my only shot at this, and he'll need to carried far. I spent so long preparing for this map and planning ahead just to make sure I can do this because not only does that village house a damn dracoshield, but you get an angelic robe for saving both houses. That's two smackeroonis in one! What an insult for my first run self to find out. I can't afford to just miss it.

Sot7vguw o

Harold will be doing a lot of the heavy work, as would be expected with his muscles.

Turn 2:

Lwr1mulg o

Bro's already 2 turns away. We just started. The archer has a whopping 25 might, so even getting close is incredibly dangerous, and as you can see by the distance, just reaching there is really hard. 

Ifglwyjx o

There. Dropped Gillaim in his range. No one else could really get close, both literally and hypothetically, because they'd just die anyways. Erika doubles mercs and Gilliam should provoke the pirate.

Snwoc4sf o

Turn 3:

For fuck's sake. 

The mercs and archer blocked his range, so he just ran down. I growl and I hiss.

But at least now I'm good. 2 pirates. Both in Gilliam's range. Everyone else is suffering from heart palpitations. I should be good now, yeah?

A6pdqeip o

I'll even throw Forde in. Maybe Gilliam scares them.

Xqdsgh9r o

Neimi one shots everything in this map. That's not a joke. She literally one round everything, and she's got great res. Okay, she can't one round the boss or the abomination, but that's like, what, 30:2? Now I need buff Neimi art. Maybe a frail Colm beside her, like that stupid doge meme.

Dwbl7njz o

Good news. One of them forgot about reverse weapon triangle.

Turn 4:

Xsmgfsxm o

Bad news, the other one graduated from Pirate University. They pirated the online courses and immediately got a certificate from the district board.

The lass beside him has a killing edge. So no one but Gilliam can survive with certainty, but we already saw that this bastard of a human being just ignores people unlike the first one. What the actual f word am I supposed to do? Even if I wanted to, no foot unit can reach them by turn 4. 

Pep20rm2 o

Fuck it. I'm throwing Forde in there. Yes, this gives the enemy myrm a 100% hit double with a 30% chance to kill him each hit. Yes, the pirate could hit him one of two times and he'd still die. Yes, this town is unnecessary and Forde is my only salvageable cav. No, I do not care if he dies. I will get that village.

Besides, this happened earlier this turn.

V9c17ib5 o

9vjhuch0 o

Zhww32sc o

Sqaythat o

Ruben Stones exclusive reinforcements. If I don't reach that pirate this turn, the town will be bombarded with total chaos and destruction, making them completely unreachable, not that anyone would be able to reach anyways. 

Tbso7hhj o

More insultingly, this bastard has a speedwing! It's supposed to be Amelia's thing, but she's not here. This guy would be strong if it wasn't for the fact that I recently went back to my FE12 no Kris lunatic run and basically every enemy is like this, but that's not the important part. They have 15 speed, and their speedwing isn't droppable! Even if I'd brought Colm, he wouldn't have enough speed to actually steal anything! So you'd need to be training Colm full time, bring him to a map that gives you zero reason to actually deploy a thief, and then manually take from a guy surrounded by 4 soldiers and archers. How many Colm simps even are there for this to be viable for!?

In other words, I already lost one stat booster, I don't want to lose 2 more.

Gfk46j48 o

At least fliers can reach this town without too much trouble, although you need to be pretty careful with how you approach it to not be overwhelmed by pirates or archers. Again, pirates reach this town extremely quickly. If it wasn't obvious, I don't like this chapter. It's like they heard my advice to incentivize players to play aggressively and thought it meant "don't play the game, win the marathon". I can't even focus on kills or letting anyone that isn't Forde or Gilliam do anything. It's like rushing FE4 with Sigurd for all villages, making no one else play the game. With how good the reward is here though, it feels more mandatory than optional. I don't care if the idea is that I should "earn" the boosters. Every player naturally gets angry at the idea of not getting it, and it's just too demanding to enjoy. 

I mean, in this hack, what can you do? Franz leaves, Seth dies, and Forde and Kyle have 2 maps to be used. You probably won't have a strong cav that can solo, but that's what the village calls for. Fliers? Do not tell me that a trained Vanessa can survive all that. There's steel bow archers, and the killing edge. It would have to come down to rng at the end even if you do defend the harsh requirement to save the village.

Spoiler

In fact, post map, I went back to see how hard saving that town was, and that pirate just never went for me. I'm certain that unless you attack him yourself, he WILL destroy the village, but you just can't reach him. Not safely. 

Rae5fwk6 o

On a better note, here's an example of Neimi obliterating. At this rate, Ruben might have to nerf her.

Aynk2mnb o

Oh-

7ra6qmbf o

Eyy, we living. Thank goodness the pirate becomes aggressive once you actually attack him.

Turn 5:

Sxtdcc0e o

Shiver me timbers!

This would be fine if they were just the average FE6 cav, but this one has a killer lance, making them...actually even more like the average FE6 cav.

Point is, Gillaim will die to RNG. I can't push my luck twice. I must fall back.

Ceqvx65h o

Reinforcements keep appearing from the top, but they mainly serve as actual kills my army can get because they aren't pathetic LTC'ers.

5coemnqd o

The guy with the swordreaver went for the unit without a sword.

Rbezpjry o

Very boring level. You're lucky Novala died.

Yrmnau93 o

Innes quaking in his boots rn.

Turn 6:

Sjvf2wai o

This reminds me of a friend of mine who works at border patrol. It's very similar. A bunch of different looking people try to get past us, then we form a wall and shoot them all. 

The wall in this context will be Ross and Garcia. Ross might be frail, but with Garcia support, he's incredibly dodgy and decimates all the enemies. Honestly, it's unfair.

Pybtck9s o

Look at this! He'd have to take 3 hits to die, and with Garcia, it's like, 9 true hit per fight.

D5gd2n3h o

¡Dios mío!

Man is invincible. Bro cannot die. Maybe I will give Ross a robe so they can match in HP and so Ross won't ever need RNG to tank. Unless I'm about to get the world's greatest Ruben OC that deserves it far more, but after the spider incident, I can't trust anyone.

Turn 7:

J0bi3ghw o

With the threat of the towns gone, the map is a lot more chill, but the steady pacing of enemy influxes is appreciated. Really, I'd like this map if it wasn't for that damn first town. You already have pirates from ashore trying to head left. We really didn't need 2 extra ones from north demanding that you watch DonDon videos and pick a god to pray to to not destroy your nintendo pc at the thought of losing items that you'll hoard forever. You'd still want to rush without them given that by the time the pirates reach the shore, the reinforcements would be at the town's vicinity, and you wouldn't be able to safely fend the brigands away anymore. Everything else though, it's fine. They exist for reasonable reasons. The myrm makes you careful with approaching (more like Ruben really wants you to use Gilliam, but why wouldn't you?), the top reinforcements keep you entertained on your way down to prevent walking simulator 2.0 and have you be careful with how you rush the top left cluster. I like the stronger enemies like the 25 might steel bow guy or the mini boss horse (although I'd prefer a silver lance with 30 total might over a killer lance myself). Plenty of enemies are still mostly as strong as the early game, but at least it's thrown in just the fair amount of numbers to where you don't solo, but don't get 2 shot by everyone, even if I like that. With how the enemy soldiers still have 0 defense and speed, I'd just give them steels at this point to be hard hitting kamikazes, but don't let me turn your hack into a kaizo. I like Gheb FE, so it's dangerous to fully trust me, but if the two of us (Shaky Rubenio) agree on liking Saphir, that means everyone should use her.

Ljjkubve o

Well shit, now I have to give you the dracoshield.

3kvbrd18 o

This one to be specific.

Wait, dragonshield? That's so ugly? Eugh! I know it's the same thing, but image saying dragon knight. It's dracoknight! That's so much cooler. Was it always like this in GBAFE? I coulda sworn it wasn't! Surely Ruben wouldn't actively cringespell it.

Turn 8:

Pcc9wsgu o

Stay hydrated. Drink water. Right now. I'm serious. Get up, go to your nearest water source, and start chugging. Kids these days have no idea how to take care of themselves from spending 80% of their day online. I bet you only drink when it's dinner time. Disgusting. I bet you can't even finish a water bottle even if you tried.

E8ueukqd o

That's a lot of trolling.

Since the Godless creature will probably attack, I have to turtle after 5 turns of speedrunning. Once again, Ross support will help a fair bit, but the pure water will prevent me from dying even in the worst case scenario. Get used to this.

5n5goz9c o

The masculine urge to promote him into a warrior for bow gaming.

Fidlv0we o

Joshua spent the entire map at the beginning with baiting hand axe enemies and running all the way back here, leveling up from dodging alone. Well done.

You're still benched though.

Qcwta8el o

I have to kill you for humanity's sake. Unlucky.

Turn 9:

Gl0ikagb o

Neimi doesn't even need res to be a mage killer. Look at this! Makes me think every mage by now should at least have elfire, since their complete lack of defense and health makes them kinda like DSFE mages, mainly meant to be hard hitting to those that don't 1 shot them on player phase. Yes, I am bragging that my manly men benefit from liking strength over speed. L fliers.

499qfprf o

Can't wait to promote this boy. GK or da wall? Armored bow horse sounds iced as fuck, but general suits a man of his stature the most.

A1mfhon8 o

No one can talk to it. Good, it needs to die.

To be serious here, I couldn't see a good alternative. The goal is to defeat boss, which there are 2 of. Seemingly, I'd have to kill this thing to end the map. No one can recruit them either. The only hypothetical would be to surround them, as they are a bow knight of sorts, and them try killing the other boss, hoping that turns this unit into an ally. That's a lot of hassel though, and there wouldn't be much of a reason for that to make sense. Both bosses work under Pablo, and there isn't enough of a hint to assume that killing Gleb will just make this one stop fighting, even if they say that they don't want to fight.

The main reason I was confused is because I went under the mindset that Ruben is likely anti-I must retreat. It played a fair bit into why I assumed you weren't meant to kill D'Erica. There's other giveaways, but that idea made me near certain that Ruben wouldn't just add an armor and change the map requirement only to have you attack a pretty weak enemy regardless just for a pointless teaser.

Hwcb75ht o

And so they leave. Would've been hilarious if Ruben actually made an OC just to be a mini boss and I overthought it for nothing.

W7nhrkf3 o

Ephraim has a lot of catching up to do.

Turn 10:

Tkv2xecb o

Innes has a lot of catching up to do.

Turn 11:

Z6cx47ta o

The soldiers are really easy to get past, despite Ruben knowing that 90% of my army will be axe units. An axereaver won't stop me. A mod will.

Turn 12:

Nsgqsavo o

Father and son, puffing out their chests as a knight would their great shields. That fire fire support bussin

I hope Ruben cringes and grinds his teeth every time I speak in gen z slang. That's the goal. 

Iztdznih o

Something about me knowing how much the enemy is being paid pleases me. But 5000 for one map is pretty good. What amount would you have asked for boy?

Turn 13:

F83p4jro o

At last. Lucky Harold.

Pdrfjdwd o

9sl9brvs o

Oh my goody woody. 

Gilliam is now undergoing Matthis syndrome, where luck is a better gain than defense. The res is also nice. His res isn't even bad for my army's standards.

Jkynlzz8 o

Oh Novala! You li- wait no no no. Your robe isn't...begone foul faker.

Xfbajqan o

Pa5sv6zz o

Just you wait until Moulder promotes.

Ywkb6lqq o

Nzgw0bhf o

It involved a lot of women, if you know what I'm sayin heheheheh...

He crucified them for being filthy [REDACTED]

0wkaem7y o

I am so good at Fire Emblem'ing.