Ranking each game by classes: Fighter/Warrior

Whisky

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Blazing Blade: They are all pretty bad. Geitz at least starts promoted, but pales in comparison to all the amazingly good prepromotes that join around the same time.

Geitz is really good, disregarding his recruitment requirements.

He is stronger and faster than Hawkeye making him superior offensively. He’s not as tanky but can still a few hits with his fairly high HP. His base Str and Spd are 19 and 14 which is really good. He can 1RKO about half of the Wyverns on his join chapter with a Hand Axe. I’d say he’s up there with the other great pre-promotes.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, samthedigital said:

Being forced to use (and deploy in a game with limited deployment slots) Lyn and Eliwood isn't making the game harder on yourself? You'd probably also want to both play Lyn mode and snowball Kent/Sain/Florina less.

To be honest... If I'm prepping for Hector Hard mode, it'd be in my best interest to play Lyn mode anyway, because the first level of Hector mode only gives me Matthew and Hector to work with, and I'd want a good Matthew to make the earlygame easier. That said, Blazing Blade is nowhere near Binding Blade's difficulty level. Which begs the question; is what little Bartre brings to the table really worth making an already hard game even harder???

On 3/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, samthedigital said:

Spending more than necessary means less access to boots, so I prefer to wait until I can spend money safely. Bartre can also eventually get to Armads if you're looking for a good axe.

Yeah, after 50 swings. Which is really glacial, especially when you don't double. Also, I'd personally want a good weapon that I can buy, rather than being dependent on a one-of-a-kind weapon. And Killer weapons are much better than steel weapons (esp. steel lances and axes, which are practically unusable thanks to accuracy).

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 3/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, Shadow Mir said:

To be honest... If I'm prepping for Hector Hard mode, it'd be in my best interest to play Lyn mode anyway, because the first level of Hector mode only gives me Matthew and Hector to work with, and I'd want a good Matthew to make the earlygame easier. That said, Blazing Blade is nowhere near Binding Blade's difficulty level. Which begs the question; is what little Bartre brings to the table really worth making an already hard game even harder???

Difficulty is fairly subjective, but the point is that fielding Lyn actively makes your roster worse whereas the same can't be said for Bartre. FE7 is a game where it's hard to get a unit as good as Raven to promotion because of deployment slots much less one of the worst units in the game. The same can't be said in FE6; we often "waste" a slot on Fae who does nothing except absorb status staves; fielding Bartre is no problem when there are 10 available slots to get things done.

edit: If you really want to make the game a cakewalk you don't invest in Matthew or Lyn. You want to pump as much experience in Kent/Sain and Florina as possible. The other thing is that for an experienced player LHM is kind of a waste of time; it makes the game easier, but chapters can still be cleared reliably without it. You can think of it as an opportunity cost scenario if you like.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Yeah, after 50 swings. Which is really glacial, especially when you don't double. Also, I'd personally want a good weapon that I can buy, rather than being dependent on a one-of-a-kind weapon. And Killer weapons are much better than steel weapons (esp. steel lances and axes, which are practically unusable thanks to accuracy).

If you personally want a better weapon (of a weapon type that you claim is garbage, but...) that's fine, but if we manage our resources effectively it's not necessary. The game gives us one in a chest. If you want to argue that maybe one extra killer axe (any more and we're getting close to stat booster territory especially considering our budge for better weapons) is worth ditching Bartre sure, but I don't find this to be a compelling argument when we're comparing it to using bad characters.

Edited by samthedigital

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think in Shadow Dragon, warriors make pretty decent archers. Their high strength give them the ability to one round a lot of enemies you might otherwise not be able to and the game lacks a lot of 1-2 range enemies. I have genuinely given Parthia to Barst and not regretted it. And in general, for the early game, Fighters really appreciate that Devil Axe.

Edited by Jotari