Flexible name reference?

Wist

When members change names it can be difficult to determine who is being referred to when an older post references a no longer used screen-name. Is it possible to create something like a BBCode which would allow for a displayed screen-name to be tied to members' accounts?

For example, would it be possible to make it so that someone could make a post saying "[user=2] doesn't know how to add 1 plus 1," which would result in the post displaying "VincentASM doesn't know how to add 1 plus 1." If VincentASM were to change his screen-name, this would automatically be reflected in the post. Member numbers are displayed with each individuals' posts so I figured they wouldn't be too unwieldy to reference.

Is some sort of implementation like this possible? If it is would anyone bother to use it, or is it not worth the effort?

I would be surprised if this was some sort of option that could be toggled in the ACP, even though it would be a nice feature. If it had to be hand coded, it wouldn't be *too* hard of a fix.

I don't think it would be too hard a code to create, but I might be overestimating it a lot :o

Not to mention my JavaScript (which is necessary to create such a code as the one you're suggesting) isn't the best in the world, so I can't tell exactly.

I would be surprised if this was some sort of option that could be toggled in the ACP, even though it would be a nice feature. If it had to be hand coded, it wouldn't be *too* hard of a fix.

VBulletin has a code for it, so I wouldn't doubt there's one for IPB.

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask members to list previous nicks in their sigs? Also, logs of past display names can be found in members' profiles.

I'm pretty much with Fox here. Although the field thing is a neat idea, its really rather overcomplicated, and a lot of people wouldn't bother anyways. Sigs is so much easier, and more convenient.

Would it be easier if a function like this was automatic when using the quote function? It would be a reasonable way for it to be used, and it wouldn't necessarily need a new button to make it more accessible.

Wouldn't it just be easier to ask members to list previous nicks in their sigs? Also, logs of past display names can be found in members' profiles.

I agree with the first option. The display name history is interesting and all, but not really practical if you're in a thread and you just want to know who someone is really quickly.