A list of characters with multiple playable appearances

indigoasis

Fire Emblem has more characters than I count on my fingers and toes, but there are a good handful that stand out amongst the crowd for the special distinction of having multiple playable appearances, which makes counting slightly easier. I'd like to try and list as many of these characters as possible; this is a somewhat exhaustive list, so I do apologize for the length of it. I would also suggest checking out characters that share names since this thread follows the same kind of idea.

For the purpose of simplicity, I'll be treating remakes and their original versions as the same entity, but I'll note any special cases whenever applicable. Notable characters will be italicized.

Shadow Dragon (and the Blade of Light)

• As the first game in the series, there aren't any "returning" characters. In the DS remake, every character from the original roster returns, alongside some new faces.

Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia

• Starting with Gaiden, there are only 3 returning units:
    • Palla
    • Catria
    • Est
      • Honorable mention to Camus; while technically a returning character, he makes his first playable appearance here as Zeke.
  • Like Shadow Dragon, every character from the original returns in the 3DS remake.
    • Special to the remake are the amiibo units, which are:
      • Marth
      • Ike
      • Roy
      • Robin
      • Lucina
      • Corrin
    • There are also the DLC Cipher units as well, which originated from the card game:
      • Emma
      • Randal
      • Yuzu
      • Shade

(New) Mystery of the Emblem

• This is where things get interestingly complicated. Mystery of the Emblem on the SNES is split into two "books," the first of which includes a pseudo-remake of FE1. Everyone from FE1 returns in a playable capacity except for:
    • Wrys
    • Roger
    • Jake
    • Beck
    • Gotoh
  • On the flip side, Book 2 is the actual "Mystery of the Emblem" portion of the game. Not every character returns to the playable roster in the SNES version, but the DS remake actually brings quite a few of them back exclusive to that version. The list is condensed in the spoiler tag below:
Spoiler
  • Marth
  • Caeda
  • Cain
  • Abel
  • Gordin
  • Draug
  • Ogma
  • Castor
  • Julian
  • Lena
  • Navarre
  • Merric
  • Matthis
  • Roshea
  • Wendell
  • Rickard
  • Bantu
  • Jeorge
  • Maria
  • Minerva
  • Linde
  • Midia
  • Astram
  • Palla
  • Catria
  • Est
  • Arran
  • Samson
  • Xane
  • Tiki
  • Elise
  • Sirius (Camus/Zeke in "disguise")

In the DS remake, the following characters also return:

• Wrys
  • Bord
  • Cord
  • Barst
  • Caesar
  • Radd
  • Roger
  • Jake
  • Darros
  • Beck
  • Dolph
  • Macellan
  • Tomas
  • Wolf
  • Sedgar
  • Vyland
  • Unique to New Mystery of the Emblem, there are actually several characters that return from Shadow Dragon DS and Archanea Saga that were first playable there. These include:
Spoiler
  • Shadow Dragon
    • Frey
    • Norne
    • Athena
    • Horace
    • Etzel
    • Ymir
    • Nagi
  • Archanea Saga
    • Frost
    • Dice
    • Malice
    • Reiden
    • Roberto
    • Belf
  • Characters introduced in Mystery of the Emblem return for the DS remake, of course.

Archanea Saga

• While I normally wouldn't bother with this, I'll include it for the sake of completion. The returning playable characters are:
Spoiler
  • Nyna
  • Boah
  • Tomas
  • Midia
  • Dolph
  • Macellan
  • Hardin
  • Minerva
  • Catria
  • Est
  • Wolf
  • Roshea
  • Rickard
  • Castor
  • Navarre
  • Lena
  • Camus

Genealogy of the Holy War

• FE4 is unique in that it's separated into two generations, effectively splitting the game in half. Between the first and second generations, the only character that's playable in both is Finn.
    • Honorable mentions to Lewyn, Oifey, and Shannan. The former is only playable in Gen 1, but makes an appearance in Gen 2 as Seliph's tactician, and the latter two appear in Gen 1, but are only playable in Gen 2.

Thracia 776

• Thracia only has a few playable characters that return from FE4. These are:
    • Leif
    • Finn
    • Eyvel (AKA Brigid)
    • Nanna
    • Diarmuid
    • Ced

The Binding Blade

• This is the first game in the series to set itself in a world pretty much entirely detached from previous entries, which marks a new trend going forward (you could argue this technically started with FE4, but it's set in the same world as Archanea and Valentia, so I'm going to pretend that's not the case and move on). As such, there are no characters from games prior to Binding Blade that return in a playable capacity.

The Blazing Blade

• Blazing Blade is a unique case in that it's a prequel, but the method of finding returning characters remains the same. The characters that make their first appearance in Elibe's timeline (would that be accurate to say?) include:
    • Eliwood (originally playable in Binding Blade's trial maps)
    • Hector (originally playable in Binding Blade's trial maps)
    • Marcus
    • Bartre
    • Merlinus
    • Karel

The Sacred Stones + Path of Radiance

• I'm linking these two together in the same category since, once again, they are each set in their own unique world akin to what Binding Blade did and have entirely new rosters. As such, there are no returning playable characters.

Radiant Dawn

• Radiant Dawn pulls a Mystery of the Emblem and introduces a good amount of new characters while also including old ones in the mix. However, unlike Mystery of the Emblem, every playable unit from Path of Radiance returns in Radiant Dawn, with the exception of the trial map characters (minus Oliver, who is playable) and Largo.
    • Taking a page out of Camus' book, Devdan returns as Danved in Radiant Dawn.

Awakening

• Despite being a sort of legacy title for the whole series, the only returning playable character is Tiki.
    • Honorable mention to Anna, who makes her first playable appearance in this game.
  • There are also the Einherjar, which there are a lot of, so I'll be linking the page on them from the wiki if you wish to see who's there and because I can't be bothered to put them all down.

Fates

• Returning from Awakening with magic space-time shenanigans, the three amigos!
    • Laslow (AKA Inigo)
    • Odin (AKA Owain)
    • Selena (AKA Severa)
  • Also, while they are technically new, separate characters, the following three are identical enough to their Awakening counterparts that I feel it's worth mentioning:
    • Caeldori (Cordelia counterpart)
    • Rhajat (Tharja counterpart)
    • Asugi (Gaius counterpart)
  • Oh, and there's Anna, too, but it's technically a different Anna from all the other Annas. But it's still Anna, and she's playable again, so it counts.
  • There are also the amiibo units:
    • Marth
    • Ike
    • Robin
    • Lucina

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

• I'll go ahead and give TMS a quick rundown. I haven't played the game myself, but I'll count the Mirages in a playable capacity:
    • Chrom
    • Caeda
    • Cain
    • Tharja
    • Virion
    • Draug
    • Navarre

Heroes

• Aside from the OCs and NPCs (and Anna), this game is pretty much entirely composed of characters that have been playable across the entire series. Is that a cop-out answer? Yeah, probably, but I'm not about to comb through the entire 900+ unit roster (that they're still adding to) to tell you that Lyn, Camilla, and Tiki are playable again 7 times over each.

Warriors

• I think the roster for this game is fairly well known considering how bare-bones it is in retrospect, but I'll go ahead and leave it here:
Spoiler
  • Anna
  • Marth
  • Caeda
  • Tiki
  • Navarra
  • Linde
  • Minerva
  • Celica
  • Lyn
  • Chrom
  • Robin
  • Lissa
  • Frederick
  • Cordelia
  • Lucina
  • Tharja
  • Olivia
  • Owain
  • Corrin
  • Ryoma
  • Xander
  • Hinoka
  • Camilla
  • Takumi
  • Leo
  • Sakura
  • Elise
  • Azura
  • Oboro
  • Niles

Three Houses

• As another standalone entry, there are no units from previous games that return in a playable state... except Anna.

Three Hopes

• Surprisingly enough, Anna actually isn't playable in this game. Everyone else from Three Houses is, though... except for:
    • Hanneman
    • Gilbert
    • Alois
    • Cyril

Engage

• Anna once again makes her triumphant return to the series, now in smol form. There are also the Emblem rings as well. I'll count the Emblems in a playable capacity like I did the Mirages from TMS.
Spoiler
  • Marth
  • Celica
  • Sigurd
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Lyn
  • Eirika+Ephraim
  • Ike
  • Micaiah
  • Lucina
  • Corrin
  • Byleth
  • Tiki
  • Edelgard+Dimitri+Claude
  • Hector
  • Soren
  • Camilla
  • Chrom+Robin
  • Veronica

~

With that, I do believe that about covers it. Are there any characters I've missed?

Edited by indigoasis

There's also Camus/Zeke/Sirius, who you mention under Gaiden/Echoes, but don't have listed for (New) Mystery, where he is (I believe) the only character playable in exactly those two games only.

7 hours ago, indigoasis said:

every playable unit from Path of Radiance returns in Radiant Dawn, with the exception of the trial map characters (minus Oliver, who is playable) and Largo.

And Devdan, of course. Danved is obviously a completely different person.

(Aside: it is strange to me that neither Bertram nor the Black Knight are available as trial map characters. Possibly because they were slated to become properly playable in Radiant Dawn? But if so, why have Oliver available? I'd guess maybe that his return wasn't planned in advance?)

7 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I'll go ahead and give TMS a quick rundown. I haven't played the game myself, but I'll count the Mirages in a playable capacity:

• Chrom
  • Caeda
  • Cain
  • Tharja
  • Virion
  • Draug
  • Navarre
  • Tiki

The TMS incarnation of Tiki isn't playable. She's a prominent player-aligned NPC, but you don't get to control her at all (even to the extent that you "control" the other Mirages, or Engage's Emblems).

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

There's also Camus/Zeke/Sirius, who you mention under Gaiden/Echoes, but don't have listed for (New) Mystery, where he is (I believe) the only character playable in exactly those two games only.

(Aside: it is strange to me that neither Bertram nor the Black Knight are available as trial map characters. Possibly because they were slated to become properly playable in Radiant Dawn? But if so, why have Oliver available? I'd guess maybe that his return wasn't planned in advance?)

The TMS incarnation of Tiki isn't playable. She's a prominent player-aligned NPC, but you don't get to control her at all (even to the extent that you "control" the other Mirages, or Engage's Emblems).

Thanks for the corrections! I'll go ahead and fix the OP.

(Aside: I also find that strange. However, I do believe Greil was a cut trial map character, so not having Bertram and the Black Knight could make sense to some extent given Greil's absence.)

Yeah, that seems pretty exhaustive from a casual glance. Only thing I can think to mention is those obscure references that suggest Morgan and Blazing Blade's Marc are the same person...but even then Marc isn't even playable, yet. Marth is also sort of in TMS as an upgraded endgame super form for Itsuki....though honestly now I forget how that actualy functions in gameplay for him (despite being way more invested in that games' gamepaly than its story).

Oh, and I guess if we're going to be really comprehensive, Marth, Roy, Ike, Corrin, Chrom, Lucina and Byleth are all playable in Super Smash Bros. Marth and Lucina also show up in Project Steam and I think a few of them are in Project X Zone too.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:20 PM, lenticular said:

Well you do kind of get to control Tiki in the final battle by using that one attack that makes her show up to do stuff.

Edited by Jotari