An exhaustive list of all Fire Emblem names that have been reused

Jotari

I'm breaking this up into four categories.

1. Characters with exactly the same spelling, your Arthurs and Arthurs (if a name is untranslated into English I go by their Japanese name and whether it has identical Hirigana rendering to any other characters)

2. Characters with the same pronunciation, your Claudes and your Clauds (there will be some wriggle room as I want to mention the likes of Myson and Mycen, which could conceivably have different pronunciation but are so similar as to warrant mentioning)

3. Diminutives linguistic variations of the same name (this does not count different translations, so no Corrin and Kamui)

4.Characters intentionally named after other characters in universe.

Characters that are the same character but different universe or counter parts or genders or the like will not be counted (so Marth, Emblem Marth and Mirage Marth are not counted). Characters with numbered names like Ionius IX aren't going to have their hypothetical predecessors listed unless said predecessor is actually mentioned significantly in game. Now, I say exhausted in the title, but I doubt I'll get everyone my first round through. So if you notice any missing characters, shout and I'll add them to the OP. Characters with the exact same name.

Characters with the exact same name
*Cain of Knight of Altea and Cain Knight of Leinster
*Lorenz the Grust general and Lorenz of house Glouster
*Liza mother of Marth and Liza SO of Ishtore
*Tomas the Archaean archer and Tomas the Fodlan librarian

*Atlas the Valentian Woodsman and Atlas the Holy War Arena fighter

*Slayde Zofia Rebel and Slayder Lombard's underling (in Japanese the names are identical and Slayder has yet to be localized)
*Mueller general of Rigel and Mueller general of Gelp Ritter

*Garcia the Rigel Cantor and Garcia, Ross's Dad
*Jamil the boss of Duma's Gate in Gaiden and Jamil the boss of Duma's Gate in Awakening

*Duma the God of Rigel and Duma the Holy War Arena fighter (yes, really)

*Yodel the mage of Khadein and Yoder the Bishop of Elibe (yes I've spelled those two differently but it's the same name, the Archanean one just hasn't been localized yet)

*Emil the Holy War Arena enemy and Emil the Daein Halberdier

*Dice the Holy War Arena enemy and Dice the Archanea mercenary

*Geese the Holy War Arena enemy and Geese the Elibe Pirate

*Klein the Holy War Arena enemy and Klein the Elibe Sniper

*Roland the Holy War Arena enemy and Roland the Elibe legend

*Rowan the Holy War Arena enemy and Rowan the Warriors protagonist

*Alva, Lachesis's knight and Alva knight of Leinster. Those two could potentially meet!
*Victor, father of Alvis and Victor the bandit twin (also Ignatz's family name)
*Robert...or potentially Roberto, the boss of Eda in Genealogy. His name is unloclaized, but no matter what they go with he's going to share his name with someone unless they give him something completely random. Even if they go with Roberts there's a character with that name (though he's also unlocalized).

*Largo Kempf's underling and Largo World's Greatest Berserker

*Gustaf the Baron of Leinster and Gustav King of Askr (Gustaf is spelled with an F in Thracia fan translations but they have the same Japanese name)
*Monica Orson's wife and Monica Edelgard's wife
*Ymir the Archanean caveman and Ymir the Zennith Goddess
*Deen the Valentian sellsword and Deen the Thracia Dragon Knight
*Arthur the Jugdral mage and Arthur the Nohrian fighter
*Hilda of Chronos and Hilda Goneril
*Morgan the Etrurian colonist and Morgan Robin's child
*Lloyd of the Black Fang and Lloyd the bandit twin from fates

*Ursula of the Black Fang and Ursula Etzel's late wife (also a Fate's capturable enemy)
*Mia, Kyle's unseen sister and Mia of the Greil Mercenaries
*Selena the general of Grado and Selena, Severa's Moniker
*Kieran the Knight of Crimea and Kieran the avatar of Heroes
*Ignatius the Awakening boss and Ignatius the Fates character

Characters with the same pronunciation (more ore less)
*Elice Marth's sister and Elise, Corrin's sister

*Abel Marth's knight and Eibel the Archanean general (two characters that actually speak to each other). What's weird about this is that they don't have the same name in Japanese, but are two different renderings of the same name in English)

*Rickard the Archanea thief and Rikard the Daein general
*Arran Marth's sickly knight and Aran the Daein soldier
*Nyna, princess of Archanea and Nina daughter of Niles
*Jorge the Archanean sniper and George the Tellius merchant
*Barth the Zofian pirate and Barthe knight of Ostia
*Wolf Hardin's Horsemen and Wolff, Grieth's Sniper. There's also another Wolf in Thracia (and sort of Genealogy in two different ways) that has to share an exact name with one of them, unless they localize him as Lupin or something.

*Gazack, a Holy War arena enemy, Gazzak the Archanea Pirate and Gazak the Fates bandit.
*Sonya, Grieth's witch for hire and Sonia Nino's mother for hire...huh, like all of Grieth's minons have coincidentally had their names reused.
*Mycen Alm's grandfather and Myson of the Agarthans
*Jeorme the Rigelian general and Georme son of Cherche
*Claud of Eda and Claud of Leicester
*Althena, Leif's sister and Altina, Yune's Hero
*Fae Roy's dragon, Faye Alm's stalker and Feh the owl mascot
*Sophia of Arcadia and Sophie, daughter of Silas. There's also the historic character of Zofia.
*Leila the Ostean spy and Layla singer in Cyrkensia.
*Eleanora mother of Eliwood and Eleonora Yumizuru
*Artur the Magvel monk and the two Arthurs
*Lyon the Prince of Grado and Leon the Zofian archer
*Glen the Grado general and Glenn Felix's dead brother
*Aimee the merchant in Tellius, and Amy the kid in Tellius. Kind of weird those two are in the same game.

*Oscar from Tellius and Oskar, the antagonist from Warriors
*Rafiel the Heron, Raphael the Fodlan muscleman
*Hetzel the old senator and Etzel the mage with a monocle
*Ashe son of Lonato and Ash attendant to Askr

Diminutives, Regional and Gender variants

*Matthis Lena's brother and Matthias aka Margrave Gautier

*Caesar the Archanean mercenary and Caesaru, the only Gaiden character without a localized name
*Michalis the Macedon drgaon lord and Mikhail of the Duma Faithful
*Gharnef the Archanean sourcerer and Gharn the Duma Faithful (even more obvious in Japanese)
*Linde the Archanean mage and Linda Tine's substitute
*Luke Marth's knight and Lucas Alm's knight
*Yuliya, the twin princess of Grust and Julia, the twin princess of Grannvale (I think these two might even be the same name in Japanese, which is odd considering how close to release they are and how similar yet very different they happen to be).
*Cecil Altean knight and Cecilia Etrurian general.
*Loptous the evil dragon and Loki the evil dragon (yes they don't sound similar but that's the same name)
*Eve Lachesis's protector and Ève Queen of Firene
*Layla the random Fates singer who is inexplicably on CYL, and Laylea, the Genealogy Substitute Dancer (who is also somewhat questionably on CYL)
*Sara the Lopt Cleric and Serra the Elimine Cleric
*Robert of Thracia and Roberto of Grust (and see the two unlocalised Roberts too)
*Shannan the Isaach prince and Shanna the Ilia Pegasus Knight
*Jeanne Nana's substitute, and Jean the would-be doctor from Elyos
*Althena Leif's sister and Athena the wandering myrmidon
*Fred the Thracian freedom fighter and Frederick Chrom's attendant
*Misha the Silesian Pegasus Knight and Meshua/Misaha, Sanaki's ancestors

*Gwendolyn knight of Ostia and Gewndal knight of Faerghus
*Cath the thief and Catherine the wielder of Thunderbrand
*Dorothy Etrurian archer and Dorothea Adrestrian songstress
*Louise, wife of Pent; and Louis, retainer to Céline
*Rose the effeminate bandit twin and Rosado, the effeminate wyvern rider
*Perceval the general of Etruria and Percy Arthur's son.
*Elen the Elibe nun and Elena, Ike's mother. Elena is pretty similar to Lena and Eleanora too
*Elen the Elibe nun and Allen the Elibe knight
*Lugh the Lycian mage, and Loog the first king of Faerghus
*Lucius the monk from Elibe, and Lucia friend of Elincia
*Nils the shota dragon, Niles the guy with the eye patch and Nil form Engage
*Madelyn, m other of Lyn and Madeline from Engage
*Leonardo the Daein archer and Leo the Nohr prince, and Leonie Jeralts fangirl
*Oliver, corrupt Begnion senator; and Olivia, Feroxi dancer
*Daniel the Tellius merchant and Daniela the Fates boss
*Gregor the Mercenary and Gregorie Count of Varley and Gregory from Engage
*Fernand the Zofian and Fedinand von Aegir Fourth

Category Intentional References

*Marth of Altea and Marth, Lucina's moniker
*Ced the Jugdral palyable character and Ced his legendary namesake
*Shannan and his impersonator Shannam
*Saizo the Hoshidan ninja and Saizo, his son Asugi's real name, and Saizo the unseen (but mentioned) father of Saizo and Kaze

Edited by Jotari

23 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

There's also Jerome, the Rigelian general and Gerome, Cherche's son; as well as Lyon, Prince of Grado and Leon, Valbar's husband.

Oh wow. I never noticed that Lyon and Leon are practically identical. That Y really makes a different image in the brain that the ear isn't privy to.

23 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

There's also Jerome, the Rigelian general and Gerome, Cherche's son; as well as Lyon, Prince of Grado and Leon, Valbar's husband.

Well, it should be noted that the series has like over a thousand characters. And like, over 95% of them have unique names. A lot of these pairs are "Playable character+Minor Boss". 

Edited by Jotari

I've always wondered how many names have been reused throughout the series. Thanks for making this! I also find it kinda funny that Lorenz has been used twice over the traditional Lawrence.

Also... I hate to be that guy for such minor nitpicks, and I apologize in advance for this, but...

• Altena and Altina do have different pronunciations. Altena is pronounced All-tay-nuh and Altina is pronounced All-tee-nuh.
  • Sophia and Sophie are pretty much exactly the same except for the end, where Sophie drops the uh sound, making it just So-fee instead of So-fee-uh.
  • Lyon and Leon could have been the same, but Ephraim turned French to call Lyon Lee-ohn in Heroes. Leon is just Lee-on.
  • A similar case to Altena and Altina, Rafiel is pronounced Rahf-ee-el and Raphael is pronounced Rahf-aye-el.

Vowel pronunciations are weird sometimes.

• Glen the Grado general, and Glenn the dead fiancé and brother.
  • Lugh the Lycian mage, and Loog the first king of Faerghus.
  • Wolt the archer from Pherae, and Valter the Grado general.
  • Lucius the monk from Elibe, and Lucia friend of Elincia.
  • Jeanne the Genealogy character I know nothing about, and Jean the would-be doctor from Elyos.
  • Anna and Anna and Anna and Anna and...

And if the datamines from Engage are accurate, we'll also have:

Spoiler
  • Rafale to go alongside Rafiel and Raphael
  • Gregory to go with Awakening's Gregor
  • Madeline along with Madelyn the mother of Lyn.

enthusiastically raises hand-

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Mia, Kyle's unseen sister and Mia of the Greil Mercenaries

lowers hand deflatedly

Oh - Linde (Archanea) and Linda (Jugdral) probably belong up here, but I'm not sure if they'd be category 2 or 3.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

*Elen the Elibe nun and Elena, Ike's mother. Elena is pretty similar to Lena too.

For the second category: Elen, Eliban nun, and Allen, Eliban knight.

Technically not a character, but Vanessa's pegasus (FE8) is named Titania, exactly the same as the second-in-command of the Greil Mercenaries. What's interesting is that Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were made around the same time, which makes me wonder if someone was trying to insert a small joke.

There's also Morgan (FE6), the boss of Elphin and Bartre's introductory chapter, and Morgan (FE13) the child of the avatar.

47 minutes ago, KMT4ever said:

Technically not a character, but Vanessa's pegasus (FE8) is named Titania, exactly the same as the second-in-command of the Greil Mercenaries. What's interesting is that Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were made around the same time, which makes me wonder if someone was trying to insert a small joke.

If we're including mounts, there's also Cherche's wyvern, Minerva, who is pretty clearly named after the Shadow Dragon character.

4 hours ago, lenticular said:
  • Glen the Grado general, and Glenn the dead fiancé and brother.
  • Lugh the Lycian mage, and Loog the first king of Faerghus.
  • Wolt the archer from Pherae, and Valter the Grado general.
  • Lucius the monk from Elibe, and Lucia friend of Elincia.
  • Jeanne the Genealogy character I know nothing about, and Jean the would-be doctor from Elyos.
  • Anna and Anna and Anna and Anna and...

And if the datamines from Engage are accurate, we'll also have:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Rafale to go alongside Rafiel and Raphael
  • Gregory to go with Awakening's Gregor
  • Madeline along with Madelyn the mother of Lyn.

I think Wolt and Valter might be pushing it a bit. I can see their relation, and if Wolt was Walter I'd probably do it, but it's a bit too many steps removed for me to say they have the same name.

Data mined stuff, I'll wait until we actually get it (don't let me forget!)

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

enthusiastically raises hand-

lowers hand deflatedly

Oh - Linde (Archanea) and Linda (Jugdral) probably belong up here, but I'm not sure if they'd be category 2 or 3.

Haha, I went over the thread made last year and noticed your obscure Mia comment.

3 hours ago, ping said:

For the second category: Elen, Eliban nun, and Allen, Eliban knight.

I think t hat's more a gender variation, so I'll stick it in category 3

1 hour ago, KMT4ever said:

There's also Morgan (FE6), the boss of Elphin and Bartre's introductory chapter, and Morgan (FE13) the child of the avatar.

I'm not going to count mounts, and if I were I'd put them in the intentional references section (though interesting that Titania one).

Well spotted on Morgan.

6 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I've always wondered how many names have been reused throughout the series. Thanks for making this! I also find it kinda funny that Lorenz has been used twice over the traditional Lawrence.

Also... I hate to be that guy for such minor nitpicks, and I apologize in advance for this, but...

• Altena and Altina do have different pronunciations. Altena is pronounced All-tay-nuh and Altina is pronounced All-tee-nuh.
  • Sophia and Sophie are pretty much exactly the same except for the end, where Sophie drops the uh sound, making it just So-fee instead of So-fee-uh.
  • Lyon and Leon could have been the same, but Ephraim turned French to call Lyon Lee-ohn in Heroes. Leon is just Lee-on.
  • A similar case to Altena and Altina, Rafiel is pronounced Rahf-ee-el and Raphael is pronounced Rahf-aye-el.

Vowel pronunciations are weird sometimes.

Like I said, there's some wriggle room so stuff like Mycen and Myson can be mentioned. Yeah, there's a bit of difference between that and the likes of Wolff and Claude, but an extra category for "Exact same pronunciation but slightly different spelling" is maybe adding too much.

If people want though I could move Lyon and Leon to category 3 as regionally different names.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

If we're including mounts, there's also Cherche's wyvern, Minerva, who is pretty clearly named after the Shadow Dragon character.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm not going to count mounts, and if I were I'd put them in the intentional references section (though interesting that Titania one).

I'm pretty sure they name mounts after prior characters quite a bit, as a sort of in-joke. Mostly for fliers, whose mounts are considered more "important" than meager horses. Though Sophie's horse, Avel, is similarly named to quite a few other characters.

By the way, you're welcome:

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Like I said, there's some wriggle room so stuff like Mycen and Myson can be mentioned. Yeah, there's a bit of difference between that and the likes of Wolff and Claude, but an extra category for "Exact same pronunciation but slightly different spelling" is maybe adding too much.

If people want though I could move Lyon and Leon to category 3 as regionally different names.

Eh, fair enough. I'm just OCD, so don't mind me.

As for Lyon and Leon, if we're going by the pronunciation metric, they could probably stay where they are.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Do we get confirmation about how Nealuchi and Nelucce are pronounced?

They...probably say Nelucce's name at least once, but I have no idea. Both of those names seem like they each have three different ways of pronouncing them. How does everyone else feel?

I go for the Katakana, and take advantage Japanese and Spanish are compatible phonetically.

Nelucce: ネルーケ Nerūke

So... at least using hard C sound.

Nealuchi: ニアルチ Niaruchi

Definitely CH sound then.

Funnily enough, even without having seen the Katakana, I've pronounced Nealuchi quite close. Just going "Nea" instead of "Nia". Again, since I tend to default pronouncing the word as if it was Spanish when I don't know how it's actually pronounced.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I go for the Katakana, and take advantage Japanese and Spanish are compatible phonetically.

Nelucce: ネルーケ Nerūke

So... at least using hard C sound.

Nealuchi: ニアルチ Niaruchi

Definitely CH sound then.

Funnily enough, even without having seen the Katakana, I've pronounced Nealuchi quite close. Just going "Nea" instead of "Nia". Again, since I tend to default pronouncing the word as if it was Spanish when I don't know how it's actually pronounced.

Nealuchi might genuinely be an original name. Googling it all I get is the Fire Emblem character. And when I type Nealuchi origin, usually a pretty sure fire way to get a name, the only page not about the Fire Emblem character is one from a website asking for input on where it's from.

For some reason I get the impression it's Italian though...not sure why, as I know very little Italian. Just sounds kind of nice in an Italian accent.

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Nealuchi might genuinely be an original name. Googling it all I get is the Fire Emblem character. And when I type Nealuchi origin, usually a pretty sure fire way to get a name, the only page not about the Fire Emblem character is one from a website asking for input on where it's from.

For some reason I get the impression it's Italian though...not sure why, as I know very little Italian. Just sounds kind of nice in an Italian accent.

Might as well. Making a search myself, I found someone used the name for their One Piece OC. They included Katakana form and... used キ (ki) instead of チ (chi). So going for a hard C sound instead of CH. But still written as Nealuchi.

... so yeah...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

In terms of intentional direct reference, would we count Yune and Yunaka? It's never confirmed in game that there's a connection between their names, but given that Yunaka appears in the fan-service/nostalgia game and has an association with Micaiah, I can't imagine it's purely coincidental either. Same could be said for Céline and Celica, though that one doesn't feel quite as much of a sure thing to me.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Wouldn't the C be hard with Italian pronunciation? I believe it's only the "tsh" sound if followed by an i or e, like for example Chiara is pronounced "Kee-ara" because of the h.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

In terms of intentional direct reference, would we count Yune and Yunaka? It's never confirmed in game that there's a connection between their names, but given that Yunaka appears in the fan-service/nostalgia game and has an association with Micaiah, I can't imagine it's purely coincidental either. Same could be said for Céline and Celica, though that one doesn't feel quite as much of a sure thing to me.

Those are certainly references, but they're not the actual same names or even variants thereof.

13 minutes ago, ping said:

Wouldn't the C be hard with Italian pronunciation? I believe it's only the "tsh" sound if followed by an i or e, like for example Chiara is pronounced "Kee-ara" because of the h.

I wasn't joking when I said I didn't know much Italian XD

Is Fae supposed to be pronounced the same as Faye and Feh? I always thought it was "Fa" with a short "a" sound instead of the long "a".

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Is Fae supposed to be pronounced the same as Faye and Feh? I always thought it was "Fa" with a short "a" sound instead of the long "a".

Well I think she was called Fa in the fan translations, so that's probably how her Japanese name is meant to be pronunced, but for English linguistics I don't see how an "-ae" would result in a short "a" sound. "ae" is usually a "ay" sound. Like aesthetics or  sundae. Though ae does make a weird u sound in the name Michael (you know that's a really common name and really phonetically weird for English with it's hard ch and weird ae, should be Mykull) so who knows with the horrible status of English phonology. She's in Heroes though, and even has a duo unit, so surely her name has been vocalized.