Weird Spinoff Ideas That You Think Could Actually be Really Good

vanguard333

As the title says, take a video game franchise and suggest an idea for a spinoff (or even a mainline installment) that you think would be strange, but at the same time could be really good; the kind of premise that makes you think, "That's strange, but it could actually work". I'll provide an example:

A Zelda game that opens with a recap of how a Link defeated Ganon 80-100 years before the events of the game. Shortly after the game begins, Ganon returns, and the old Link is actually still alive, but he realizes that he's in no condition to fight Ganon on his own. However, Old Link finds a courageous young boy: the player character, and decides to make him the new Link by taking him on as a protégé and infusing him with a fragment of the Triforce of Courage. Essentially, it's a similar premise as stories like Batman Beyond and The Mask of Zorro applied to The Legend of Zelda, with Old Link mentoring and assisting New Link throughout the game.

It would certainly be an odd idea to implement in a Zelda game, but I think it could actually work: there is already precedent for a new Link appearing when a previous Link is still alive, as Gramps in A Link Between Worlds is heavily implied to be the Link of A Link to the Past, and the new Link in a game like this wouldn't even have to be a chosen incarnation of Link; he could be like the Wind Waker Link in essentially forcing fate to make him the new Link; just this time, he would have help from an old Link.

32 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Anything which is not a tactics game, but a tactics game.

I think there was already a thread similar to this, lost somewhere in the annals of things.

Interesting idea; could you please be a bit more specific (for instance, real-time tactics or turn-based, specific examples, etc.)?

Hm... maybe; I'm not sure. I know that, a number of months ago, I made a thread intended largely for comedy where people were to present spinoff ideas they could be 100% certain would never happen, so I guess this is almost the inverse of that thread.

43 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

League of Legends Warriors. Already has a big roster, towers to defend, and dedicated mooks to mow down.

I could definitely see this working. It would be perfect for those who like League of Legends but dislike the typical behaviour and audio of most League of Legends players.

It would especially be good for those who became interested in League thanks to other media such as Arcane.

12 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I could definitely see this working. It would be perfect for those who like League of Legends but dislike the typical behaviour and audio of most League of Legends players.

It would especially be good for those who became interested in League thanks to other media such as Arcane.

I'd just like a chance to play Twisted Fate again in a genre I still care about.

Pokemon Party - like Mario Party with Pokemon. Includes some of the Stadium & Stadium 2 minigames. Could be done either by picking a Pokemon to play as, or picking a trainer with a starter and earning a full team of Pokemon as you traverse the board. In the latter case, the winner might be the one who gets all the gym badges (like stars) first.