The World's Requiem: Act 1 Truth in Lies

TheRoon

Hmm. I do not like that. Ichika's inner thoughts didn't reflect her perfect poker face, smiling and shrugging. "It must have been your magic acting up. I carry two swords as a precaution should one break, nothing more... If they have something magical to them, it would be a surprise to me." She carried herself as perfectly as she'd been taught to when questioned by mages, not knowing whether the woman, nor now the princess, had truly glimpsed something of the true nature of her sword. It didn't matter in either case; if they challenged her she would deny it as she just had and they would have no leg to stand on but their word, which was as air on the matter. "What is your magic, if I might inquire, miss Alouette? Since you mentioned that it might be acting up. Do you not have a proper grasp on your magical abilities?"

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the group started talking about magic swords, Luce looked back at the group, catching something out of the corner of their eye that caused a brief serious expression to flash across their face before quickly settling back into a casual smile. Internally though, their mind was racing. Was that... No, it couldn't be. On the other hand... Mmm, I need more information before I can figure anything out. Something to keep in mind though. Mention it to Eve if nothing else. They sighed, yawning slightly ears swiveling briefly to listen to the sound of the road before commenting, "A shame one of them isn't magical. You could get pulled into some sort of storied adventure if it was~ Lady Ichika and the Starbound Blade~ You would wander around, disguised as a normal bodyguard only to find your destiny of saving the world... Ah, I can imagine the performance telling your story already. Still, if it's just your magic acting up, Lady Alouette, you should be careful. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about that kind of thing. Thankfully nothing I've ever experienced, my magic is more for the show than anything else." They gave the small tome buckled at their side a small pat, and nodding. "I trust you know more about magic than I do, to be clear. Just worried about my impromptu companions~"

Alouette's eyes narrowed at Ichika's response, her expectations colored by her previous responses. But, she wasn't going to try and prove it--she wasn't sure if what she felt was accurate. "Mhm... I suppose it was just a flourish of magic that I picked up. It's a thing that can happen. To be clear, no, I don't have a problem controlling my magic." Alouette took a deep breath, and quickly formed a ball of wind in her hand, "My control over my magic is actually something I can be proud of." She turned the ball into one of electricity, before dismissing the spell. "Really, just... sometimes I can pick up faint traces of magic. It's never really a problem, it just happens occasionally, and that's probably what happened there." Alouette sighed, it likely had something to do with her faulty magical circuitry, but no one needed to know about that, especially not someone who could potentially be suspicious. Then, Alouette felt a second flourish of magic, and one she'd felt before, but definitely not as strongly as she did here. Alouette flinched for a moment, and then turned to Lorelei who was rubbing at her eye. That... that was... the same as... back then? What... what would have... 

Alouette shook her head, "In any case, it's really nothing to be concerned about. My magic is rather perfectly under control, I just shouldn't use it much without good reason. Can't exactly just use it for free..." Alouette kept a close eye on Lorelei, just in case that there was another flourish of magic. For once this sensitivity is proving useful...

Ichika couldn't help but scoff and chuckle at Luce's little story, shaking her head. "Were I to be bound to a sword, it would end up cursed, knowing my luck. No, I rather enjoy my mundane existence. I think your tale will remain just that, Luce. Amusing as it was..." She slowly tightened the fold on her arms and leaned back, glancing at Alouette again. "My apologies if I have insulted you, Lady Celti. You mentioned your magic may have been acting up, and I spoke beyond the scope of your suggestion... I hope you will accept my heartfelt regret." Though over the top, Ichika's tone was serious and flat, implying perhaps too much honesty on her part. "If you cannot use your magic without cost, either, you do not need to show example of it to us. I shall take your word of your skills, and keep my comments level and without target. The... Mmm. Jovial nature of the upcoming festival and the other occupants of this wagon has gotten me too far off my guard. Once again, my apologies."

Lorelei had removed herself from the rest of the topic and turned to face toward the window of the carriage. That said, she still kept listening whenever she could. ...I wonder if she's...no, I can't prod. Lorelei could sense the odd atmosphere, not quite tense but she could tell something was amiss. She was aware that Alouette had her eyes on her and Ichika, she was very good at picking up magical presences. Ichika seemed very good at keeping a low profile, though the cursed comment made the princess ponder a little. Then there was Luce, who seemed to be quite a jokester. Lorelei wasn't sure what to make of them. "...mm." After another brief moment the princess was about to reenter the conversation, until she noticed something through the window. "...hm?" She turned to the rest of the passengers and spoke out. "I'm going to tell the coachman to pick up the pace, so hold on please. I...don't believe these roads are as safe as I thought."

"It's... not so taxing to do small displays like so, if really at all. No need to apologize, Ichika. I... suppose my words would have made it seem more problematic than it actually--Hmm?" While Alouette's pause was for Ichika's hesitation and change in direction, it lined up perfectly with Lorelei's call. "What? Princess, what do you--" Alouette looked out the window, and saw nothing in their immediate vicinity, nor anything in the distance. Alouette turned, and looked forward, looking for a landmark to gauge where they were. "...This road is too well traveled for there to be anything that would..." Alouette wasn't overly concerned about hiding her clear familiarity with these roads at the moment. Lorelei wouldn't make such a call without good reason. 

"I don't see anything, princess, but if you're sure. Then there's naught else to do." Alouette pulled her gloves a bit tighter, hoping that whatever she was talking about was something they would just be able to outrun. 

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Fortunately for the group in the carriage, they didn't run into the trouble the princess had warned them about thanks to the coachmen and horses. It had been a somewhat bumpy ride, but they managed to reach their destination, which happened to be just over the hill. It was a fairly small castle town, but it was surrounded by fields of flowers that spread as far as the eye can see. It was a colorful sea, almost rainbow like in it's appearance. The castle town itself had been guarded by a giant white wall, and a large gate stood before anyone who would seek entry to the capital. "Crecia, the City of Flowers...it's quite a sight." Lorelei looked out in awe as the carriage continued across the hills. "It would seem our destination is ahead..." The princess gripped at her own dress, both eager and anxious to get this over with.

The carriage had reached it's destination, and finally stopped before the gates in view. There seemed to be other carriages nearby with passengers who were all too eager to get inside. Some knights approached each group to do a check up. Lorelei tilted her head a little. "Hm..." She looked at Alouette. "I suppose the hold up makes sense given the importance of the festival, the security here is quite strong."

Alouette kept her guard up from the princess's warning, but even with her trying to sense magical signatures, she was getting absolutely nothing that would be considered a threat. Even if there had been a group of highwaymen--extremely uncommon on the main road like this--Alouette was fairly confident that she and Lorelei alone would be enough for them, and Ichika was also right across from them. Luce also said something about some proficiency with magic, so they likely weren't defenseless either. Despite the hurried ride, the hills eventually gave way to the familiar fields of flowers that she'd spend quite a lot of time in as a child. Even as she'd aged, and gone out to explore the world, and magic, the fields of flowers were unchanging, and still as beautiful as they'd been back then. A pleasing thought that relaxed the red haired mage, and more as Lorelei appeared taken by the sight. 

Then the carriage brought itself down to a gallop, and then almost entirely to stop as the number of carriages outside the gate stretched long outside the Crecian gates. Alouette tilted her head, "Strange... security is usually strong, but a delay like this is a little unusual..." Alouette squinted to see if trouble was ahead, but it really just seemed like the gate was taking its time investigating each and every carriage. Has something pressing happened in my absence? 

For a time, there seemed to be the threat of banditry, but nothing occurred, leaving Ichika to her regular levels of concern and guard. At the least, the view from the carriage provided something, the myriad fields of flowers quite foreign to the traveller. As the carriage slowed, the princess and the lady remarked upon the speed of the carriage's processing, leaving Ichika shrugging. "Security is important and it is not like we are needing to be out of this carriage, unless you have a meeting that you need to get to swiftly, Lady Celti. If not, continue to enjoy the view. There is at least that much, yes?" She shrugged, not feeling any concern towards the situation.

"The meeting won't begin until every member is present, I'm not worried about missing it." Spoke the princess as she eyed the inspection ahead with a worried expression. "...though if I may be honest." She turned back to the group. "Between what I sensed in our trip and this, I have a feeling something may have happened. This certainly is an important day, and we've expected some difficulty. Even so, I can't help shake this feeling that there's something amiss even under these circumstances." The woman turned her head back to the window, and noticed another carriage pull up from behind. "All I ask is that everyone stay on their guard." Lorelei took a moment to herself to scan the area of anything magical, she had realized the cart that had just arrived had some traces of magic onboard. I can only hope they are also late arrivals.

Similar to Lorelei's, the new carriage carried some important figures. Four individuals were onboard, two royals and their chosen bodyguards. While they were both members of the Alliance, they came from different nations. "...a line, hm? It seems like we'll be among the last ones inside. A little disappointing I must say." Spoke a dark haired man in a suit. "Mikhail, how did you enjoy the ride? I'm sorry it took a while, I wanted to enjoy the scenery." 

"Pfft, nice lie, Alister." Spoke a female voice who sat across the two men, it belonged to a purple haired woman in a white military uniform. She carried the emblem of Lohengrin on her shoulder cape. "You wanted to take the scenic route to make sure there weren't any uninvited guests right?" She folded her arms and gave him a sharp glance. "Honestly, if you're that worried I could take Miles and make another lap around the hills. Hell, by the time we're done the line will have died down!" 

The gesture got a laugh out of the black haired prince. "Ahaha, perhaps. Really I just needed some peace of mind, lady Alexandra. Today is an important day for us all. You know as well as I do that means difficult times are ahead of us."

Edited by TheRoon

The man who prince Alister was talking to had not pulled his face from the window in some time. His eyes darted across the new scenery for what had to be the eighth time so far. To be honest this whole trip was a dream for Mikhail. Being outside both Akatsuki and Gottfried was something he hadn't thought he'd be doing so soon, and Islode wasn't disappointing so far. Right, this sight will be the first thing I write in my letter. Already he was thinking of wandering the streets and the sights, if only they could escape this carriage.

The woman sitting next to Alister finally pulled Mikhail away from the window with her loud comment. "Hmm? Did you ask something prince?"

WHIRRRRRR… Click, click. Again, his arm made those terrible noises as he made some last-minute adjustments. Miles let out a deep sigh, content with his own fiddling. He’s glad that Alex - Princess Alexandra - is distracted; he knows how much she hates seeing him tinker with his own body so openly. He has to, though, to protect her, both as her retainer and knight, and a member of the Sorrel family.

”Al- Milady. Please don’t wear yourself out before the festival starts.” Miles said softly, eyes never leaving his arm. He had to make sure everything was in order… there, everything worked perfectly. His fingers still moved, and he could shift as needed. From there, his attention was undivided upon his liege’s face. “Besides, I’m sure that Prince Alister would prefer his esteemed company to be… upright, during such an important gathering.”

Really, Alex- The princess had too much energy for her own good, sometimes. Still, it was infectious, in a way. “I am relieved you aren’t disheartened by the long trip, though. I did worry you may be a bit… terse, being still for so long.”

Ichika eyed the princess carefully... This wasn't some ruse she was putting on, or some gambit of tricks, she truly seemed to believe something was going wrong. Ichika gently grasped the hilt of one of her swords, leaning her gaze back towards the window with a more steeled look upon her face. "If all you wish is that I remain on guard, such a task will be quite easy to accomplish... Luce, if something does occur, please do your best to stay behind me, but near me. I have not yet completed my task of keeping you safe." Hopefully this bad feeling would remain just that.

Alouette sighed at Ichika's remark, and then the Princess's warning. Of course the first time that she returns to Isolde something appeared to be going on. She knew better than to have expected anything less. Nothing ever changes... "Of course, princess. I'll be sure to keep an eye out..." Alouette felt a pang of concern in her chest, even if this place was where she had been forced to flee, it was still the place that she considered home. For once, Alouette wished she could sense exactly what the princess was, so that she could have an idea of what might be going on. Alouette looked towards the gate again, and pondered a moment, before shaking her head. That would be the opposite of what you need to do, Alouette... Even if it helped here, he'd figure out that you were here, and then... Alouette sat back down with a huff, and a spark ran up her arm. There was nothing more to consider but to prepare.

"Ahhh, come on now, I'm sure it will be fine~" Luce's grin never faltered, but behind their cheerful eyes their mind was racing. Tch, can't get stuck here too long, Eve is waiting on me. And if what I thought I saw was really that... Mmm, she's going to need to know sooner rather than later. Hmm, does lend credence to their fears though... They adjusted their position, seemingly just to pull out the tome that was at their side, but their new position afforded them a better view out the carriage window, eyes narrowing for a brief moment before returning to a relaxed expression. "Besides, if it does come to a fight, don't think I'll let you leave me behind~ Sure, I had someone rent me a bodyguard, but that's just practical. Two people make a much less inviting target~ Really though, I bet that just telling them who we are will solve everything. After all, one of the performers for the festival is one thing, but a crown princess? They'll have to let us through~ No sense in worrying overly much." Better be ready to move quickly though. Just in case...

Alexandra turned her eyes back to her retainer. Even though she didn't see him tinker with his arm, she still heard enough to assume that was the case. Though she didn't seem to mind in this case. "Heh, a little warm up is never a bad thing I say. That being said I wasn't bored at all, you all kept me pretty entertained." She eyed Mikhail with a grin. "I like your man, Alister. He's a little to himself, but I respect that."

"There's few people in Gottfried I trust more, even if he daydreams a little too often." The prince couldn't help but tease his companion a little for his distracted state. "Mm, not that I blame him. Isolde continues to be quite a beautiful land." He looked out his own window and eyed the assembled carriages and gate. "The inspections seem to be a little slower than usual, I've come here often enough to know that. Even if there is an important festival." He looked over at Alexandra. "Do you think we should simply approach ourselves and see what's going on?"

The battle hungry princess took in his words for a moment. "Lohengrin always encourages initiative, I don't see why not." She turned to Miles. "Fancy a walk to the gate, Miles? Or do you wanna stay here and chat with the boys?"

Alister couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. "...it was my idea to check you know. I'm a little insulted you think I'm staying."

Lorelei's group didn't seem much better off with their own concerns.

Alli's princess couldn't shake her expression, even with the support of everyone onboard. "I'm sorry, I really don't mean to worry you all." She shook her head. "My senses are a little sharper than your own, Alli. I thought I picked up a spike of something magical closer to the gate, perhaps it's the guards, or maybe some of the guests." She looked out the window again. "That's the issue with festivals, it can attract all kinds of people." A small part of the princess really wanted to approach the gate as well. It really didn't help that the line barely moved, but before the princess knew it they were about two carts behind for inspection. "Oh, it's not much longer now. Good."

• 3 weeks later...

While the royals and their entourage had taken the time to decide who would check, if at all even, the situation took a turn for the worst. A wagon was at the front of the line, and it was under inspection by the guards. It seemed to take a little while, as the guard had been in an argument with the driver for some time. Though eventually, things had come to a head.

"Be that as it may, sir. You'll find my documents are quite-"

"I care not! You will allow us to scan through your goods, or be turned away!"

"...feh." The driver fixed his cap over his eyes and took a heavy sigh. "Dearie me, I knew deep down this was unavoidable..."

"!" The guards took that as a sign of hostility, but they were too late to take action. Smoke had rushed from the back and sides of the wagon, a lot of smoke. It flooded the area and enveloped the knights of Isolde. The air filled with confused shouts and cries, as figures moved through the black smoke and took their chance. A battle had broken out, sounds of steel against steel reached the guests who were still in line, but by this point quite a few of them started to flee the area. The sound of combat had even reached both of the royal carriages. Lorelei's head instantly jerked to the window, as she tensed up. "What...is this an ambush?" She turned to the trio in the card. "Alli, Luce, Ichika, we must evacuate." That being said, there weren't a lot of options for them other than the fields...but she realized there might be danger out there too.

Meanwhile, the alliance carriage had decided on a different approach. "Hear that?" Alex spoke out, and opened the door. "An ambush. Miles, with me." The woman wasted no time getting herself out there, she was ready for something to happen and this was most certainly it. She looked ahead to see a large cloud of smoke slowly creep its way around the gate and waiting area. "Dammit, this is bad. Miles check the carts and make sure everyone is safe!" She pointed at Lorelei's carriage in particular before she ran off toward the smoke.

Alister on the other hand hand narrowed his eyes at the situation. "Mikhail, go with Miles. I have a bad feeling this isn't it." He stepped out of the carriage himself and grabbed a short sword nearby. "I saw quite a few guests flee toward the hills, if this really is a planned ambush it's likely they have reinforcements outside. I'll secure as much ground as I can. I'm counting on you to help out here. Can I trust you to do that for me?" He eyed Mikhail, determined to keep the peace as best as he could.

"Mmm?" Luce frowned, looking out at the sight of smoke and battle. They shook their head, seemingly unimpressed. "Tch, no no, this simply won't do~ This festival is meant to be a time of peace and happiness. Your Highness, I believe you have it right, that you should escape, however, it would weigh so heavily on me if I simply fled and did not at least try to help these poor innocents!" They grinned, pulling out the tome they had carefully tucked away, and opened the door. "Right then! I assume you'll be coming with me Ichika? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't, and would make sure you still got your pay, but it will be much more interesting in this direction than just fleeing~" With that, they ducked out of the carriage and began to move towards the commotion.

Everything had begun so swiftly, Miles barely had time to react before Alex leapt out of their carriage. Even after following suit, she’d ordered him to check the other carts, rather than protecting her. Again. Honestly, every time with this one. Still, an order was an order, and he was duty-bound.

”Thy will be done, Milady.” Miles made sure to grab his sword before taking off, having no desire to be caught unaware. Turning back to Mikhail, he gave the man a curt nod. “Watch my back, and I’ll watch your front. Let’s get back to our lieges in one piece, and put this farce behind us quickly.” He added, and began to make his way towards the cart Alex pointed at.

Alouette took note of Lorelei's acknowledgement in the differences in their sensory abilities; she had sensed something on their way here that Alouette hadn't even noticed. She'd become notably more competent at it after Lorelei's eye had become what it had. However, it was the other thing that she had mentioned that got Alouette back on her feet and peering out the window again. This time, she saw exactly what the princess might have felt, and more. 

A bright pulse of magic, and then billowing smoke filled the area where the knights had been, followed by the clashing of steel. Lorelei seemed to have figured thing out along the same wavelength as she had. An attack?! Here?! That's... Her thoughts were ended by Lorelei proposing they evacuate, and then Luce revealing their intent to help. 

Alouette shook for a moment, back still to the others. An orchestrated attack on Isolde during what was supposed to be a time of joy and relaxation, and placing the civilians in danger because of it. Regardless of the circumstances, the civilians alone being endangered by the attack, meant that evacuation was not on the top of the redhead's list. Isolde, however, was where Alouette was born. Where she made wonderful memories and friends, even amidst the difficulties. Her shoulders rose and fell, "Absolutely not," as Alouette released her magic. "My first and foremost priority is making sure that you're safe, Lorelei... but I am going to help the civilians evacuate, and then figure out whose bright idea it was to attack during the festival." She turned to Luce, while making her harness and corset were in place, "I'm going with you if you plan to hel--" Except the feline was already out the door. 

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

"Luce!" Things were moving far too quickly already. Ichika was pleased to have stayed on guard, at least. As soon as the smoke began to rise they were ready to leave the cart, only pausing to address the princess and her friend, "I will keep my charge safe! If you wish to aid us, please stay behind me! I will do what I can to keep you safe as well!"

Ichika dove after the cat and did their best to catch up, groaning. "You! Stay behind me as well! I realize you are gung ho to aid them, but you are a mage and you are in my care, so let me do my job!" A sword was drawn in a flash, blade cutting through the air with the faintest sound of ringing. "Let us see what we have to deal with...!"

Edited by Nanami Touko

Mikhail was still a bit puzzled at first, but there seemed to be a fight breaking out. Alister was already heading into the fray, and giving the assignment eyes. "I'll do what I can." Stepping out of the carriage himself the healer started following behind this Miles fellow before he noticed the folks from the carriage they were tasked to check were heading in their direction. "Well that saves us some time I guess. Are you two heading into battle? Is anyone else with you in need of help? We're here to help!"

Luce smiled brightly as Ichika chased after them, waving happily. "Oh yes, of course~ I'll stay behind you. Probably. Unless there's a better option." They turned back to the carriage, spotting Alouette clearly getting ready to fight and their smile widened. "Oh good! It looks like we won't be alone either. Excellent~ I hope the princess stays safe though. This sort of thing isn't the place for her, don't you agree?" Luce turned back around, ready to start moving forward when suddenly they were addressed by a part of a pair, a young man holding a staff. "Oh! Delightful, just what we needed~ Yes, come along. The carriage is fine for now, though we should keep an eye out on it. Don't want the people left inside getting hurt. You'll come with us though, yes? Help protect this poor dancer as I try and help rescue these people? I do so appreciate it~"

"You will stay BEHIND me!" Ichika growled in frustration. Getting onto this carriage was a mistake... This damn cat does not even understand the danger they could be facing, yet they are charging right for it! Hahh... Such it goes. It seemed that others were going to try and help, Ichika letting Luce do the speaking first and taking that chance to at least catch up to their pace. "The women that will be coming from the carriage are able to handle themselves. Come with us in case there are any injured." A healer would be quite helpful in such a panic...

Mikhail had called out so fast, Miles hadn’t even had time to brace himself. Naturally, this left him caught off guard by the women - and their companion - who’d emerged. Miles was somewhat wary of trusting others, but given Alex had sent him over this way for a reason… perhaps he could temper his expectations for now.

“Hold a moment. I would first like to know who you are before we continue.” Miles folded his arms, melding organic and mechanic together for a moment. “I mean no offense. However, given the tenseness of the situation, I would at least like to know of whom we share a battlefield with.” Miles suspected they were more than simple travellers, but then again, so were him and Mikhail. Something felt off, and his mind was racing.