The World's Requiem: Act 1 Truth in Lies

TheRoon

"Ahh ha... it's not that I don't understand what bodyguard means. I simply, don't like being restrained. A byproduct of my upbringing I suppose you could say. Adam was being overcautious anyways... We hardly encountered any danger until this final bit! Still," They took a step back and gave a sweeping bow. "I apologize for the stress that I caused you. It was not my intention, but simply a clash of my natural habits with your attempts to protect me." They straightened, spying one of the men that had joined them starting to head into the city. "Well! I'll leave you two to discuss specifics~" Luce spun around and started to head after the healer. "Oh! Mikhail! Wait up!"

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miles felt like he had become something of a small pack mule, with how many things he collected out of the wagons. Granted, most of it were things he could use - the vulnerary was helpful, and he could definitely make good use of the iron sword - but… this tome vexed him. Should he just hold onto it?

”Hmm… now, where…” He had hoped to perhaps give the book to the woman who’d been tearing through the battlefield, but Miles couldn’t spot her. How vexing. “I suppose this can just come back with me. Perhaps Milady knows someone who could use this…” Miles muttered to himself as he made to move back into the town, past the ice pillars and the blonde man who came running in too late to join the battle.

Taka once again made a clean kill on her opponent. She had been struck by a spell, but it hadn't bothered her much. It would take much more for it to matter for her. The ninja cleaned her knife and put it away. It was clear in the silence that the fight was over.

She made her way to Eve. "Miss Eve, the fighting is over. What do you need me to do next?"

The young man in white sensed he had crossed the poor red haired woman, so he jumped out of the wagon and approached. "Ah, it appears I've crossed you. Honestly, you have my apologies madam Alouette." He took a bow before her. "Truly, I didn't mean to startle you. You have risked your life to save me, yet I've nothing to reward you for such efforts." He lifted himself back up. "Still, I will not forget this good deed, and I promise you I shall repay you and your companions one day." He eyed the rest of the team on the battlefield. "So until then, I will leave you with a name. You may call me Lindt, a humble storyteller from the desert sands of Saratara." He gave her a wide smile. "That is all, I'll not take more of your time. So off I go to prepare myself for the festival." With one last bow, he turned to walk toward town.

The blond man let him pass, but couldn't help eye him as he went inside. "....hm."

Eve noted how...eccentric that person was, but now was not the time to prod at random people. "Alrighty then, seems like our hungry friend is beating us to it, but if I could have everyone else follow me inside town I'd be extremely grateful!" She lifted a finger up and smiled. "You'll all be treated to a nice lunch at a sponsor's expense, just one of many rewards for a job well done. We will discuss a few things there, like payment..." She eyed Ichika as she said that. "You'll be reunited with your charges, who are all safe and sound I assure you." She eyed Miles and Alouette, hoping the town guard did their jobs properly. "And on top of that, you'll all have as much FOOD as your STOMACH desires!" She called out to Mikhail as he nearly left everyone behind. "I'm Evangeline Hart, and I'll be your guardian angel for today! Just as long as you give me an hour of the day, please!" She clapped her hands and lowered her head, as she almost begged for understanding and compliance. "...oh, and this ninja is Taka and the big guy in the back is Nate, they're uuuh...the angel's helpers!"

"...is that what you're callin' me now?" Spoke the muscled man as he lifted a brow.

The young man hopped out of the carriage, and bowed his head, apologizing for almost attacking her. Alouette's pout lessened, and then sighed, it wasn't so impossible to understand why he would have attacked. "It's fine... I'm just bad with surprises. Lindt, is it? I'll keep that in mind." Lindt made his way to the gate, and disappeared inside the town, leaving Alouette to wander behind him. The spike in anxiety wasn't doing wonders for her energy after a fight she hadn't been expecting to have, but it wouldn't be too bad. She could find Lorelei, and find a place to rest for a bit, before guiding her around.

Well, no, that wasn't completely true. Eve--who's hair was still pink--was calling to assemble the group that dealt with the attackers. She mentioned food, their charges, and payment, two of which Alouette was interested in. She could use some food, and if Lorelei was already safe than all the better. Though, it sounded like their arrival had been planned, or foreseen. Alouette put her hands on her hips, after wiping some sweat from her brow--warmth and a fight were not an enjoyable combination. "Not the way I expected to meet again, Miss Eva... so what is this about?"

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

Miles’ attention snapped back towards the pink-haired woman who’d aided them. His usual reticence in trusting someone strange was quelled twofold, by both her aid in that battle despite their being strangers, and by the assurance that Alex - Her Highness, he corrected internally - was okay. With that in mind, he approached the pink-haired woman, standing in front of her as best as he could. 

”I would hope that your words on Milady are no mere bluster, miss… Evangeline.” He couldn’t help but snort at the introduction of her aides - Taka and Nate, evidently - as ‘the angel’s helpers’, and the latter’s evident confusion at the title. “One good introduction deserves another, I suppose. Miles Lumis Sorrel, retainer to Princess Alexandra Solfuse of Lohengrin, and latest of my name.” He moved to extend his mechanical arm, before thinking better of it and using his flesh-and-blood one to offer a handshake instead. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

"Yes, no danger; you are lucky that the women in the carriage you so haphazardly called to stop, were kind and held no ulterior motives. I hope that your luck continues to work well for you." Ichika had a few other things that she could say, but she didn't want to cause further strife. She was tense enough as it was. "As long as I am to be paid, then there is no issue. I am sure that this festival will be something worth seeing, anyway... I am on this journey for more than simply fighting and protecting." Speaking of the carriage women, Alouette seemed to have finally made her way over, looking a bit tired, but nothing worse for wear. "I must sincerely apologize for my questioning your magical control, once again. Before, it was simply a rude statement; now, it was not only rude, but very incorrect. You are an impressive mage, Alouette. I am humbled to have fought alongside you." Ichika bowed ever so slightly; in reality, both her and Luce had been very impressive mages in their own rights... She was just annoyed with the cat, so any praise was buried beneath frustration.

Edited by Nanami Touko

Ichika's frustration with Luce was still on display, even if Luce had done fantastic during the fight they had still been... obtuse. That was to be expected but what followed wasn't, "Huh?" Ichika was praising her magic, apologizing and bowing her head all at once. Alouette could feel the blush coming across her face, surprised that it was the first thing mentioned--a rarity to be sure. Alouette turned away, and crossed her arms, "It's... not all that impressive. Our enemies simply weren't prepared for magic." That's a terrible excuse and you know it, Alouette. Anyone with even a fraction of forethought would know to come prepare for magefighters.

"In any case, you performed expertly, as well as the others. I was simply finishing those you all softened up. Even still just doing that, and I'm a little drained while the rest of you appear fine. Thank you for the compliment, and the apologies. But it's hardly as impressive as you say." Alouette half-heartedly huffed, inwardly quite pleased to be complimented for her magic first. But it wasn't so simple to just accept it at face value. Alouette fiddled with her glove, then her harness, and then her hair. 

"Really? If you say so, I suppose. However, in my family, combat magic is a rarity. We are healers before we are fighters; myself and my parents exceptions-- we are trained in the way of the sword for traditional reasons. So, when I see skilled practitioners of magic they can fight with... Color me impressed. That you are still standing after using so much magic should be seen as impressive, rather than demanding more of you. Perhaps the culture is different here?" Ichika shrugged and didn't continue on, not quite sure why the woman was reacting as she was. Have I been offensive? I cannot see why one would try to shunt praise so much, but, I suppose I am unfamiliar with this land...

The pinkette took Miles' hand and shook it. "I know who you are, Miles. It's nice to finally meet you! Alex told me you were reliable, seems like she was right. Please, call me Eve. Same goes for everyone here!" She called out that last part. "Anyway, let's get moving shall we? The table's waiting!" She moved along to the gate.

When she did the tall man in the leather jacket stepped up to Eve and whispered. "Eve, did you get any info here before they dropped?"

The woman turned her head to her friend. "The armored one said something about a master "Rei". It's an Akatsukian name, that's for sure." She looked forward. "But Rei can either be a man or a woman, could be short for something...or for all I know it could be a feint." She sighed. "I just hope Grayson's guard caught one, maybe we can confirm some stuff."

"...I guess so." With that they continued onto town and lead the rest of the group.

-----------------

About a half hour later, the entire group had entered town. The streets were mostly empty, save for quite a number of guards spread out about the streets. Though there were stands and decoration set about the place, the intrusion lead to an evacuation. It was almost like the festival had been frozen in time. Eve managed to get the group past the guards toward a nearby restaurant simply called "Tree of Life". Eve managed to get the group settled down at a large table that so happened to have menus out, and she sat at the center. "Don't worry about the civilians, the guard I spoke to said they were all pulled away from potential danger as soon as the intruders broke in. Seems like they managed to round all of them up, thanks to your fiery princess." She looked at Miles, then turned to the rest of the group.

"Things will go back to normal in an hour or two, they just need to confirm we're absolutely safe. Oh, and I sent Nate to the castle to gather your royals, they'll be here very shortly." She smiled. "Until then, order whatever you like! We got the whole restaurant to ourselves, so take advantage of it and rest. You're all heroes for the day after all." She folded her arms and leaned on the table. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions for me too, and I'll do my best to answer them. Just let me start by thanking you all for everything you've done. If you didn't take action, things would have ended very badly."

Edited by TheRoon

Walking through the streets of the city, fortunately untouched by the conflict, was both relieving and nostalgic at the same time. They stopped in at the "Tree of Life," hopefully they didn't have anyone on staff that would recognize her immediately, but she knew that she stood out rather glaringly. They reached a table that was almost... perfectly setup for all of them, exact number of seats and menus, and it sounded like they had the entire restaurant to themselves. That thought in the back of Alouette's head grew louder at all of the coincidences, but that could wait until they sat down. Alouette adjusted her harness a little, before plopping herself down in one of the chairs, leaning back with a sigh, "As I said before... This is not how I expected to see you again, Miss Hart. However... I can't help but notice that things have been a bit... too streamlined. The fact that it sounded... like you were expecting all of us, that this restaurant was already set for us; you couldn't have done that in the rush... were you prepared for our arrival? Or is that just me... being both a bit spent, and on guard?"

Ichika followed along, glancing about the city, hand tight on her sword. She had no fear that this was a safe place-- now, but she'd never truly lower her guard. As they arrived and sat down, Ichika took notice of Alouette adjusting her everything, giving her a small nod, a look of understanding and agreement. "Yes, this is a very prepared situation. I was tasked with delivering Luce, and now that I am here, instead of being paid and sent on my way, you have asked me to sit down to eat, which I assume will not be a quiet meal of small talk, where we all say our goodbyes afterwards. If you had no reason to keep me around, you would have paid me on the spot and let me go-- if you had the time to prepare this lunch, I am sure that you would have the forethought to bring my pay with you. So," Ichika folded her arms with the slightest bounce, staring this Eve down, "what have you gathered us for?"

The dancer Mikhail just met, Luce was their name yes, had corraled him back into the group of folks he was just with. In truth he wanted to keep walking around, but with a lot more guards and a lot less civilians, it didn't seem like that was a good idea. Plus they were going towards food which was one of his goals at least.

Once they say down he was given news about his second goal: the prince was on his way here. That brought a bit of a brighter mood to the healer. Mikhail quickly jotted down all the dishes he wanted onto a napkin, he was quite hungry after all those arrows and healing. As that was happening, the mighty mage lady, and the swordswoman from home started asking some serious questions. This place was set up pretty well, like this was gonna happen attack or not. "Oh. Is this a part of the mission the prince told me about?" 

Miles had to resist the urge to puff his chest out with pride as he heard of his liege’s success in protecting the civilians. The gears in his arm felt a bit loose after the exertion, though, so he was tinkering with the appendage as they walked towards the restaurant, assured along the way that the princess would rejoin them soon.

”That’s a relief. As strong as Milady is, I’m always apprehensive to having to leave her side for whatever reason.” As he picked up his menu to ponder his order, the women of the table made valid points, and he looked over to Evangeline with a frown. “I do have to agree with them. There must be some sort of hidden agenda you have for this gathering, given how conveniently everything seems to have fallen into place. I would hate for our lunch to be sabotaged by subterfuge, so I would hope you come clean about why this group is here. Especially given you have, at minimum, two royal retainers here.”

"Ooo, I bet this place does pancakes! Wonder if they do the thin ones stuffed with fruit..." While everyone else seemed intent on interrogating Eve, Luce was diving into the menu, seemingly care free. "Oh, they do! They've got a raspberry one even, my favorite~ I'll be having that for sure." Food decided, they looked back up at the rest of the group with a grin, lounging back into their chair. "Oh, don't worry about Eve. She's all sorts of smart, and has her reasons for things. Get some food, I'm sure she'll explain everything so focus on the important things first!" They paused, glancing over at Ichika with a slight wince, realizing their attitude was likely not helping with her. "Ah, that is to say, explanations will come soon enough I'm sure. So we may as well take advantage of the setting and refuel after that fight. We wouldn't want to push ourselves too hard for no reason. Plus, Eve's paying! Free food!" They smiled, hoping they hadn't stumbled too badly again.

Taka followed, lagging slightly behind the rest of the party as a lookout. Even if there was someone confirming their safety, the ninja wasn't one to simply take that. The party's safety now became her responsibility. She look around, but she wasn’t a sight-taker. Her eyes were watching the people, blind spots, anywhere someone could attack from.

Things seemed... clear, but she remained alert.

Taka listened as they entered the Tree of Life. Taking a seat, she looked at this menu that sat in front of her. She stared and read intently. This was her first time in a place like this.

The ninja looked up, and simply asked, "What do I do?"

"Order whatever you like, Taka. Like Luce said, it's on...well our sponsor not me." Alouette and Ichika were both quick to suspect the situation at hand, which only spurred Miles and Mikhail to throw their own words in the pot. "I suppose this all does seem rather oddly timed, doesn't it? The truth is I have prepared this meeting in advance, though it was meant for tonight not now. It's for the first meeting of the alliance's special squad....the name is still pending" She paused there and gave a smile. "But after today's events, I simply wanted to thank you all for your hard work. So a rest and a lunch is part of that." She looked at Mikhail. "Yes, Mikhail. Prince Alister and princess Alexandra had told you both about this unit, and that you both would be joining it upon their orders." She looked at Alouette and Ichika. "As for you both, I will be frank we are rather short handed. The church has more or less been scouting for extra hands, miss Alouette you technically owe them a favor though you can repay them in other ways. But you have no ties to them whatsoever miss Ichika." She folded her hands on the table. "In both of your cases it is entirely up to you whether you decline or accept, but before you do the only thing I ask is for you both to hear me out."

Edited by TheRoon

"Hahhhh... Of course." Ichika sighed and rubbed her face in her hands. There was the rest that she'd been expecting to hear, and it was more desperate than she thought. "So short handed that you will resort to strangers that you have seen fight once, for this special squad of yours? ... Hah... I feel as though my good nature is being taken advantage of." She looked around the table, wondering how everyone else was going to take this sudden request. "I will listen, but you will find me hard pressed to agree to any terms. I am on a pilgrimage as part of my clan, to take over as the next matron of my family and our order of priestesses. If your task would see me put in place for too long, I cannot accept. I am meant to travel and then return... Not idle and learn nothing." She eyed Eve with unflinching eyes, hoping hearing her out would not be a mistake.

Miles’ eyebrow raised, trying to wrack his brain for any recollection of this assignment. He… may have been a bit lost in thought at the idea, or perhaps blocked the thought of being separated from the princess in any particular capacity. If any of the others looked at him now, they’d see Miles almost looked… panicked, in a way, damned by a lack of focus. He’d have to work on that.

”I… don’t recall Milady mentioning this.” Miles admitted, somewhat sheepishly, scratching his chin with his mechanical arm. “If this truly what Milady wishes, though, I will see her will done. Though, I admit, I am rather reticent to leave her unprotected, regardless of how capable I know her to be.” That, and… other matters, given their closeness. But that was on par with a Lohengrin state secret in his view, so none would know how deep his care for the princess went.

Alouette blinked, "...That would have to mean that you knew that every single one of us was going to be here for the event." Though from the sounds of it, it seemed like Mikhail and Miles were both going to end up a part of this no matter what, but she and Ichika seemed to just... happen. Alouette kept the promise from before in the back of her head, but the last way she expected it to return was like this. Alouette leaned into her hand, "...I don't mind repaying my debt in ways like this, but... I would like to know why the church is suddenly short handed, and what, if anything, you know about who those people were. It may just be a guess, but it feels like this fight was related to why they suddenly need extra people."

Alouette fixed the flower in her hair, "I am a woman of my word, and the church was responsible for... allowing me to escape, so I have every obligation to listen to the request." Maybe this would be a good step to proving my parents wrong... Even if my circuits are faulty, I'm every bit as capable as the others. 

"Mmm... well, I can speak to part of that." Luce raised a hand, looking a little guilty. "That is, not to you being here, but Eve and I met back before Ichika was hired as my bodyguard. By Adam! You probably haven't met Adam yet... He's a nice guy~ He's the one who first told me about this job. I'm a... special consultant? I guess you could say? I don't look like much and that's the point~ Who is going to suspect a dancer of being part of a super important squad for the church? I'm good at getting information because I can perform and then talk to people afterwards, let them buy me drinks, learn all about what they've seen~ A performer always needs to know what city is safe to travel to, where there's been disturbances, all of that. And, well, I was... supposed to help sway Ichika here to being open to join the group. But, well, we're kind of like oil and water personality wise! So that didn't work out so well! Honestly, Adam probably should have just been straightforward with it all... For what it's worth Ichika, from what I've been told, the plan isn't for us to spend too long in any one place. Though that may have changed. I only know so much after all~" The dancer sighed, leaning back in their seat and looking over at Ali. "I can't speak for you though! Seems like you knew Eve already at least, so maybe she's seeeeecretly been keeping tabs on you. Very spooky, you should be worried for sure." They grinned and winked at the mage. "I'll protect you from her if you need it though~"

"Okay..." Was all Taka said as she continued to stare at the menu. She was still confused. There were too many words, and pictures. What do you get? Who do you tell it to? Taka hid the mild frustration she was having, and simply closed the menu and began listening to Eve.

Apparently this group was to be made into some sort of unit. Eve hadn't given the full details, but the ninja was quick to respond,

"I will join you, as that's what was asked of me." She gave a small nod as she stared down the woman, not maliciously, just out of the seriousness of her words. 

The responses she got so far were fairly mixed. She expected Ichika would be a tough sell, everyone else was a little easier...though Miles brought up that Alex forgot to mention this project to him. "My do I have some explaining to do." When Luce mentioned Adam, Eve's brow had twitched a little. I will certainly have to repay him for making this difficult. So after a moment she cleared her voice to get attention. "I'm sure you would know this better than any of us, Miles, but the war against Garmr has grown incredibly intense as of late. Lohengrin is the only thing standing between them and the rest of Arkus. Prince Gaius and Alexandra had done well to keep back their invasion, but I've been to the warfront not too long ago. The things I've seen are...not good to say the least. I'll spare you all details." War was hell, there was no question of that. But it also wasn't a good conversation for the table.

"The point is Lohengrin's had trouble lately, so much so they had to request aid from the alliance. Gottfried and Isolde had given support, even Phantasma's princess wants to help. The only issue with this is that each nation has less man power than desired." She folded her hands together. "Which brings us to the unit I brought up, we are the first of a few squads to keep the peace in Arkus while the war goes on, there's a hole that needs plugging up and this was the solution. There's a lot of support behind this project, and we have a few sponsors backing us up. You would know who one of them might be, Alouette." She turned her attention to her. "Even the church has it's finger in the pie, which is why I'm here, I'm a mercenary contracted with Albion. I've been appointed the leader of this squad." She looked at Ichika. "Truth be told, I would only need you for six months, and I promise you we won't idle. Our missions will take us to quite a few locations, I have a feeling you might learn more than you expect Ichika. Though, again, it is your choice." Adam picked her for a reason, she'd have to ask later but she could only go far with this before she wouldn't accept at all.

"As for you Alouette, truth be told I can't tell you everything the church has planned, they kept me in the dark on quite a few things in fact. But I can say you were chosen for a reason. You are a woman of many talents, and magic is your strong point. You have the ability to sense magic in many forms, I realized that myself the night we met. The church wants to put that ability to use. I realize this sounds like they view you as a tool, but I can assure you I won't."

Edited by TheRoon

ichika sighed and leaned back, closing her eyes. "If complaints about walking and suddenly hailing strangers were your attempts to endear me, I would say the issue is not our personalities." She didn't want to argue about this, but she hadn't felt like Luce had done much to attempt being amicable. "If you can ensure that we will not be placed on some sort of... idle guard duty, then... I suppose I am not entirely against such plans. I will ask you for the full details later, perhaps in a more private discussion, but either way... Some of the individuals present have not been frustrating, and thus, it would make sense to venture forth in the presence of capable others instead of by myself. I hope that will suffice, for the moment." She did have her eyes on a few of the people here. Alouette, for one. She wanted to know more of her magic. Ichika's family had a history of magic, but all on the healing side of things. Seeing how combat magic functioned would help her going forward... And, Mikhail. Another healer, yes, but seemingly someone from her home country. It would do well for her to ask about the homeland and see if he knew anything, or if anything had changed at all.

Miles let out a quiet huff when the war was mentioned, and thus pieces started falling into place. He likely had simply been too focused on other matters to recall this sort of assignment, especially one with outsiders. Even if they were from other parts of the Alliance, he could only vouch for them once he’d fought alongside them in that previous battle.

”Mm. It’s every bit as hellish as Evangeline claims out there. Garmr is nothing if not tenacious, and such tenacity has brought many casualties.” Miles replied quietly, folding his arms over his chest. “If you all are among the aid the Alliance nations have provided, then I suppose I will owe all of you a great debt, should you stay.”

At Ichika’s words, Miles’ eyebrow twitched upwards slightly, but he schooled it back down. “You underestimate what being a guardian first and foremost can bring you, madam. Nevertheless, you can rest easy; I would think that this group is intended to be more proactive, since the Princess saw fit to send her closest guard to join you all.”