The World's Requiem: Act 1 Truth in Lies

TheRoon

Luce and Ichika were both out the other door of the carriage, Ichika offering protection should she step into the fray. "I'll do what I can, just give me a moment..." Alouette finished fiddling with her supports, finding them adequately tightened, but not enough to hamper her breathing or movements. So long as she didn't have to worry about that, she was reasonably quick on her feet. The last was the flower in her hair, but there was no need to adjust that.

"Lorelei, can I ask you to lead the evacuation? Luce is a mage from the sounds of it, but... I feel as if they'll need another. Besides... I bet I know this place better than either of them, and can direct people away best from in the fray. You and the civilians should be safe to the east... I won't be far away." Alouette didn't wait for a response, she had a pretty good idea as to what Lorelei would and could do. The princess's resolve would be more than enough.

Alouette hopped out of the wagon and with a wave of her hand, let her magic flow through her magical circuits, wincing just a tad. Just do what you need to, worry about things later... 

She hurried up to the forming group, "Sorry for the delay. I needed to prepare and converse with my charge. She'll likely be leading the evacuation of the civilians, so if we can send them towards the east. There should be refuge for them there." 

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm, introductions or go figure out what's going on... I'll stick with figuring out what's going on~ If you two don't want to join us because I didn't give my name, so be it! I suppose you'll just have to wonder if you could have saved anyone else while waiting for me to give my name~" Luce was moving the entire time they were talking, waving to the men as they started off. Thankfully, Alouette had caught up, and then spun around with a grin, walking backwards towards the fight. "Come on then~ Glad to have you with us. I'm sure your charge will do a wonderful job of protecting those fleeing if need be. She certainly seemed... capable~ Time for us to focus on those in front of us. Hopefully, for me, that will include Ichika in front of me. Otherwise, I'll probably have to deal with a lecture after this~" With that, they spun around, a spell starting to form around their hand. Hmm... time to see what my bodyguard is made of... Eve will want to know after all. Alouette, I'm sure she'll be fine, though I'll need to keep an eye on her based on what she said about her circuits. Those other two will either help or not. Hmmph. The sword boy couldn't even be so polite as to give his own name first. He doesn't deserve my name.

Mikhail was surprised to see another Akatsukian here of all places, he knew the clothes of his home anywhere. It would be nice to stop and chat... but Prince Alister said there was trouble and he needed him. They were on a mission after all.

This Miles fellow seemed to be wary of the oncoming group, though they were coming to help, so Mikhail didn't see why that would be an issue. One of the oncoming trio, the dancer seemed to not care and already was heading towards the smoke, the swordswoman who he felt a connection to told her to stay behind, this group was odd. "If that's all, I'm going towards the smoke. My charge is in that direction, and I wish to be there in case of any injury. The name's Mikhail." With that he was off, the sooner this was over the sooner he could explore this place.

Edited by Bluemask 96

"Nice of you to join us," Ichika remarked as Alouette managed to catch up to them. "If you behave yourself so that I can do my job, then yes, you will be focusing on me in front of you. Why must you be like this? I have never seen someone so happy to run face first into danger, especially when someone is willing to take that danger for you." The cat was frustrating. Hopefully Alouette would not join Luce in being so flippant. "Let us be about it. Carefully!" She didn't have it in her to warn them further, dashing ahead of Luce and hoping to stay there.

Luce sighed, stopping their forward path. Ichika was right. She had been hired to do a job and they weren't letting her do it. A certain man they knew would not be happy with Luce if he found out about this and so Luce watched the battlefield, looking for the source of the smoke and for any immediate danger until Ichika had caught up. "I will do my best to stay behind you, Ichika. However, there may be times in battle that I cannot depend on you to take on all the threats in front of me. Trust that I can manage in those moments?" It was strange. For just that moment, it seemed like Luce was almost a completely different person. Their smile was gone, replaced by a serious expression, and their relaxed pose was transformed into what was clearly a battle ready one. The faint glow of the light spell around their hand suddenly flashed, and the moment was gone, Luce suddenly all smiles again. "Right then! After you~"

Hm. Well, it seemed like this group wouldn’t be cooperative, but before Miles could get a word in edgewise, they’d all taken off. Ah, lovely - divided disaster management. Even Mikhail had run off ahead, and therefore Miles went in pursuit. He knew Alex- his liege would be rather cross if something happened to her friend’s retainer, if nothing else, which gave him the motivation needed.

”Mikhail, I’d suggest not splitting off in a situation like this. At the very least, the two of us can stick together.” Miles said coolly, though as he looked around, things seemed rather odd to him. Perhaps he was simply letting stress get to him, but this was definitely rubbing him the wrong way.

Alouette blinked at Ichika's frustration with Luce, but it did seem like the pair were a bit like oil and water. Luce then seriously responded, before bouncing right back into the feline playfulness that had been present the whole time. "I'll hang back, and cover you all as best I can with my magic. I'm quick on my feet, but I'm not great up close..." So long as this was a quick engagement, and she wasn't called upon too much, she'd definitely be fine. Her stamina was quite good so long as her magic wasn't being a factor. Though, she couldn't hang too far back; she was likely the only one of the group who knew where to guide people if they were caught in the crossfire, so, whether she liked it or not, she was going to have to be mobile. What is the point of this attack? Was security bolstered specifically for this reason? If so... what happened to have caused it? Security wasn't nearly this strong years ago...

"Tch." Ichika didn't answer, immediately upset by the sudden change in temperament. So, you can take this seriously, you just choose to act like it is a game for your own amusement? I will not be associating with you once this trip is over. I cannot stand this sort of person... "Fine," she ended up responding, not wishing to speak on things any further. At least it seemed like Alouette understood what she needed to do without argument. "I will keep you from harm so long as my body wills it."

• 2 weeks later...

The battle within the smoke seemed to slowly die down, but some voices could be heard briefly from a few figures hidden in the smoke...

"Tch, the Lohen princess is giving us some trouble, sir!"

"Then we'll split off. I'll take our strike squad past the walls, you gather the remaining forces after the smoke clears and follow us in. We'll scatter throughout the castle town."

"Leave it to me."

The princess did her best to help the guards, in a brief moment however she noticed several figures move through the smoke, and she let out a frustrated groan. "Dammit!" She ran off through the smoke to chase them past the gate. "They're going inside! Miles, I'll leave the rest to you!" She shouted as best as she could before the smoke finally cleared to show a heavily armored knight and a few ruffians left. They didn't seem to have any emblems or markings to indicate what nation they served if any. Unfortunately they were the only ones alive, the gate guardians were all dead.

"Men! Form up! We must join our comrades past the gate!" The command managed to get an agreeable shout from the remaining fighters.

Alouette was determined to help the small group with their battle, Lorelei noted how strong her will power was. "Very well, I trust you'll be fine Ali. However..." She eyed the unknown soldiers as they approached the gate. "I noticed a small group slip in already. I know lady Alex will hound them until the day they die, but if the rest enter it will only complicate things further. So before I leave allow me to give you a gift." She brought a hand over her jade eye, and through her parted fingers it gave off an intense glow. Ichika may notice one of her swords rattle slightly, not enough to give away her secret but it was still noteworthy enough. Alouette could hear the princess mutter a soft chant under her breath, as a chilled wind flowed around her.

The soldiers had nearly reached the gate, but stopped when they felt that same wind around Lorelei. "What in-!" The armored man gasped out as four pillars of ice had materialized and erected between them and the entrance of the castle town, they stood tall and proud, and acted as a shield before the dastardly men. "Argh, blast! Mages, melt down those pillars!" He commanded, determined to break in as quickly as possible.

Lorelei staggered for a brief moment and took a breath, but she held herself well enough. "...I should be thankful we haven't experienced Isolde's infamous summer heat, otherwise those pillars wouldn't have been as effective." She looked at the group. "Still, that will only buy you so much time. Wipe them out before they break through, good luck." She gave Ali one last nod before she rushed off to help the fleeing civilians. The group was on their own now...

Edited by TheRoon

Alouette felt a magical surge from behind her, and hear the soft words of a magical chant. She whirled her head to see the princess's eye flash, and her eye glow for a moment before a chill blew past her. In but an instance, and against the warmth of summer, four pillars of ice rose out of the ground becoming a makeshift gate, and blocking the attackers from pushing forward. "Princess..." Alouette knew that Lorelei was capable of a lot, but to do something like that so quickly was something well beyond what was normal. That eye of hers continues to impress and intrigue... she's changed so much after getting that. It sounded like their opponents were going to try to break the pillars down to get inside. Alouette waved her hand, switching the electrical energy in her hand to her more native element, forming a ball of light, "You can be sure that they won't last to get through the first pillar." Alouette took a deep breath, so long as she didn't have to dig deep, she would be fine, and even if she did, she wasn't alone in this fight. As much as she hoped she wouldn't have problems and have to impose on anyone, but the lives of the Isodian people came before her pride. 

The enemy before them looked reasonably well equipped, and were in strong positions; she needed to be very careful with how she was to engage--she wasn't the best with taking hits, and while she was confident in her footwork, she couldn't rely on it especially if the fight dragged on. So she'd have to make sure that the fight didn't last long, and that she was always in range of the group--she'd have to hope that they were more seasoned fighters than she was. Rescuing those from the wagons was a priority, but the two fighters to the east would make quick work of her, and anyone who tried to flee; they needed to clear a path first by drawing the targets to them. So what better than a light show? 

"I'm targeting the group to the north; we need to draw these people in, and away from the wagons!" Alouette moved northward, ignoring the man with the axe--with two allies wielding swords, he was not long for this world--instead focusing on the swordsman. "You've made a grave mistake attacking the festival," Radiant energy danced around her gloved hand, "I won't let you desecrate it any further!"

Alouette moves to 4, 5 and targets Merc 3 with Black Magic casted Light! 

Now that... That was interesting. Luce looked back at the princess, their head tilted slightly with an eyebrow raised. Hmm... very powerful magic indeed. It was something to keep in mind but for now, there were more important things to focus on. "Yes, quite. Now, I did agree to try and stay behind you, Ichika, so as a heads up, I'm going to do my very best to remove that bandit from being a problem. I may need an assist however. Oh! And we should take a look in that wagon at some point, to make sure whoever is in there is safe~" With a grin, the dancer bounded forward, tail swishing as they raised their hand and pointed at the bandit. The prepared spell rushed out, followed quickly by a second. 

Luce to 5-4, light up the brigand

Edited by scorri

"By all means, visit them. I am dealing with the immediate threat, first." Ichika had no issue with Luce engaging in combat. If they could handle themselves, even handle these men, all the better. Ichika rushed forward and said a small prayer in her head, hand sliding to one of her swords. "沈め...!" Luce hadn't finished one of the brigands, but she would!

Ichika to 6,4, iron sword Brigand 1!

Edited by Nanami Touko

Given that everyone else appeared to be heading north, Miles had the temptation to follow. However, something caught his eye - one of the wagons was nearby, and he felt an obligation to warn them of the growing battle.

”Mikhail, I would ask that you keep the others safe. I’m sure your lord would ask the same.” With that statement to his erstwhile companion, he took off to the wagon.

Miles to (6,2) and visit the wagon.

The battle had begun, and the front liners had taken a flurry of light rays!

Merc 3 stood no chance again Ali's light energy [56, 46] and was swiftly defeated!

[5, 5] Allouette gains 34 EXP

Brigand 1 has taken severe damage from Luce's attacks [80, 59], but still stands strong compared to his fallen companion due to his healthier build!

[4, 5] Luce gains 14 EXP and +1 Light EXP!

However, even with his stronger build, he succumbed to his wounds and fell when Ichika drove her blade into the man's chest. [20]

[6, 4] Ichika gains 38 EXP and +2 Sword EXP!

Miles had decided to approach the nearest cart to search...and inside he would find a lizard man cowering in fear. "D-don't hurt me...oh, you don't look like one of those ruffians." One look at Miles' expression had been enough, but really he just saw his appearance as motivation to leave. "Thank you, sir. Please be careful, I heard one of those scoundrels say they had more reinforcements hiding in their wagon. I don't know which one that would be, but be on guard either way!" He quickly made his way past Miles to high tail it out of there, but before he left he quickly put something in the swordman's hand.

Miles has obtained a Vulnerary!

Well the source of the trouble had been found, a stopped by some powerful ice magic. Mikhail searched the field but there were no signs of the prince. "Alister where'd you run of to?" Right now he wanted the whereabouts of his friend, but the oncoming brigands and Miles request had other plans. "Well then, let's get a feel for things." No need to fight now, just continue as a simple healer.

Mikhail to 4-3

The five had taken the initiative well, but the time came for the enemy to react.

Enemy Phase 1

The mercenary saw an opening between their small ranks and rushed after Mikhail for a sword swing!

Mercenary 1 moves onto 5, 3 and cleaves at Mikhail with his Iron Sword! [17, 32]

Mikhail takes 7 damage, but is able to take some revenge with a stab to the Merc's side for 2 damage! [63, 71] Mikhail gains 12 EXP and +1 Hidden Weapon EXP

His boon companion, Mercenary 2, decided to join him in his assault and jumped at Ichika for his own slash.

Mercenary 2 moves onto 7, 4 and swipes his Steel Sword onto Ichika! [28, 20]

Thanks to her superb stance, she reduced the damage down to 5 from the stinging of the steel, and with a good counter she was able to damage him back for 7 damage! [23, 91] Ichika gains 14 EXP and +1 Sword EXP

Meanwhile, the archer moved onto Ichika. Alouette seemed like a tempting target, but he was quite intimidated by her magic.

Archer 1 moves 6, 6 and fires an arrow at Ichika! [17, 20]

She simply takes 2 damage thanks to her powerful stance. Ichika gains 1 EXP

Meanwhile, the rest of the unit had slowly moved to attack the five fighters, while the mages up north began using fire magic to start melting the pillars.

Each Ice Pillar blocks off entry to the castle town and has a total of 30 HP each. 

The female mage moves onto 7, 12 and casts a fireball at the pillar on 8, 13. Pillar HP: 19/30

The mage mage moves onto 12, 12 and casts his own fireball at the pillar on 11, 13. Pillar HP: 21/30

The knight refused to move, he instead chose to direct the mages toward each pillar. If they get closer then I'll have to order the reserves to ambush them...

Player Phase 2

Reqmap1proto.png

Edited by TheRoon

Oof, Mikhail retracted his dagger as he disengaged from the mercenary who dove straight for him. "Got a mean one here softened up for anyone!" There were trees nearby. Good, some cover would be great for now. Best to heal the swordswoman. She's doing great holding them off for now.

Mikhail to 4-4 and heals Ichika. (Thanks Staff technician!)

A rather ominous warning of impending peril, Miles noted. But before he could properly thank the lizard man, he was gone, fleeing in peril. Hm.

Given the others were already engaging their adversaries, Miles rushed a bit to the side, sliding in front of one of the enemy mercenaries - the one Mikhail jammed a dagger into on a counter attack. “Sloppy.”

Miles to (5,2) and attack Mercenary 1 with his Iron Sword

The swordsman went down rather easily, but there was little time to be impressed by something she already knew that she was capable of. She still felt fine after that, so there was still work to be done. It seemed like they weren't too well versed in having to handle a strong mage, so her talents would be widely applicable here, so long as she didn't dip too far--burning out now would be a problem given how tight everything seemed to be. Before she could turn her sights on her next target, Alouette turned north as  a familiar pulse of magic overtook her. She recognized it, but didn't quite remember why, and didn't have the time to dwell on it as two more swordsman broke into their lines, "I'll handle that one!" Is that help arriving, or... 

Alouette pulled out one of her tomes, and half went through the incantation, already sure that she wasn't going to mess up. 

Alouette moves to 6, 3 and engages Merc 2 with her Fire tome! 

"Ah, lovely lovely, it's nice to see such a display of magic... You'll be alright to do another attack? I don't want to pressure you after what you said about your magic circuits, but, well, there are two beefy men with axes looking a little too threatening for me to leave you here in good conscience, you know?~" Luce spun past Alouette, light magic trailing behind them as they danced an intricate pattern, ending with a light tap on Alouette's shoulder. "There! Go on now, that magic should last for a few seconds longer at least~ Light on your feet and off you go~"

Luce to 6-2, dance Ali

Edited by scorri

"Tch..." These bandits weren't anything to write home about. Run of the mill, but they had numbers on their side. Ichika had been wounded by one of the mercenaries, ones that were swiftly being dealt with by everyone else. She suddenly felt her wound close, quickly glancing back at the healer from before. "Good. Again...!" She was a bodyguard and she was going to do her duty!

Ichika to 6,5, attack Archer #1!

Alouette took a breath as she loosed her first spell, fortunately for her, tome casting was much less strenuous on her, but casting directly afforded her a lot more control over the spell. Luce spun their way over to her, "Yes, I'll be fine. My circuits can handle this much, but you're certainly correct that those axes are far too much for me. No need to worry about me in that regard, focus on the battlefield." There were many things Alouette was, a talented mage, quick on her feet, but she was fairly prone to injury, and those axes would hurt, best to stay out of range. Mmm... they paid much more attention to what I said than I thought... There's a little more than meets to eye to them... Hopefully I don't have to push it, I can probably manage one more of those. But enough what-ifs, there's things to be done right now. With Luce's magic reinvigorating her, Alouette moved to attack the swordsman attacking the healer! 

Alouette moves to 5, 1 and tome casts fire on Merc 1!

Mikhail dove right for the trees for safety (4, 4) and healed Ichika for 7 HP! Mikhail gains 9 exp and +2 Staff exp.

Miles rushed (5, 2) to face Mercenary 1 with his Iron Sword! He struck true for 5 damage. (46, 26, 35)

Mercenary 1 swung back and hit Miles for 4 damage. (10, 33)

But Miles wasn't done yet, he sliced into the Mercenary once again for 5 more damage! (93, 74, 85) Miles gains 12 exp and +2 Sword exp.

Alouette saw an opportunity to bring down one of the mercs, so she moved in range(6, 3) and with a quick fireball she did just that for 14 damage! (68, 63)

Mercenary 2 took it head on, and just as she thought they were absolutely not trained to handle magic. "GUH!" So the man fell back onto the ground as his body was set on fire, but...at least he had a pretty sight before he faded out. Alouette gains 38 exp and +2 Anima exp.

Luce, impressed by Ali's display of magic, simply had to see an encore! With a quick step and a pat they motivated Alouette to another action! (6, 2) Luce gains 10 exp from dancing.

Ichika rushed toward Archer 1 (6, 5) and swung her sword out at the lightly armored man for 9 damage! (27, 20) Ichika gained 12 exp and 1 Sword exp!

Finally, Alouette found yet another opportunity to bring down yet another mercenary. She shifted positions (5, 1) and dropped a fireball onto Mercenary 1 for 12 damage. (82, 92)

With a chilling scream the swordsman fell to the ground and his life was snuffed out by the flames.

Alouette gains 34 exp and +2 Anima exp.

Enemy Phase 2

The mercenaries have been defeated, and the rest of the unit took that personally. So Ichika unfortunately had to take the brunt of their wrath.

Brigand 3 rushes toward 6, 4 and swings his Steel Axe at her. It's a clean miss though (90, 34), and it gave Ichika a proper opening to swing back and take 14 health off the big man (45, 30) (99, 99). Ichika gains 12 exp and +1 Sword exp.

Brigand 2 follows suit as he plants himself onto 7, 5 and swings his axe down at Ichika. Surprisingly, he hit! (6, 8). Ichika took 5 damage, and counted back for 18 damage (69, 11) (62, 76)! Ichika gains 14 exp and +1 Sword exp.

Archer 2 wouldn't let Ichika breathe, he moved onto 8, 5 and loosed an arrow into her shoulder for 2 damage (4, 20).

Finally, Archer 1 would decide to find a more vulnerable target for his arrows. He just spotted out Mikhail hiding near a tree, and he decided to take an angle (4, 6) to shoot him down. The archer thought he had him dead to rights with that shot, but it seemed he misjudged the angle and the arrow only hit his side, and just barely missed his vital point (15, 91). Mikhail wouldn't go down without a fight however, so he threw a dagger back in retaliation and it connected for 4 damage(94, 85)! Mikhail gained 12 exp and +1 Hidden Weapons exp.

Meanwhile, the two mages continued to burn down the pillars. The female mage brought it down to 8/30, it was quite close to being a puddle at this point. The male mage brought his down to 12/30, but despite his slower progress the situation still looked dire.

Meanwhile, Arkham looked back at the battlefield. He was quite surprised to find his unit had mostly been cleaned out. "Tch, unbelievable...EVERYONE! Wake up! We need to crush these attackers before this gets out of hand!" He slammed his spear down, and unfortunately for the five down south more men jumped out of two wagons close to the pillars. The fight wasn't over yet...

Thankfully, it wasn't all bad news for the group. They had reinforcements as well. Two figures ran from roof top to roof top to reach the wall, and they finally reached the point where they could jump over it and drop down. One was a ninja, another native of Akatsuki. The other was a familiar woman to Alouette and Luce, though her hair wasn't red anymore, it was pink. The magical feeling Alouette sensed was around the pinkette, and she could possibly see that her eyes were bright green once again. "...Taka, take care of that mage. If that ice wall goes down we're in for a world of trouble." She looked toward the group and spun a revolver in her hand. "I'm going to go help our allies, they're in danger."

Eve and Taka have joined the battle!

In order to reach the fight as soon as she could, Eve has activated ???, she has spent a full turn to make it in time, so she has 2 turns left until the effects of ??? wear out.

Player Phase 3

image.png.00a8d988b63977e053a37c1764b9ffb7.png

Edited by TheRoon