Mischaracterizations and simplification of Fire Emblem Characters

16 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

In all fairness, perhaps that can be attributed to Pent just changing with age and having different priorities now that he has a family.

That's possible, but Pent going on vacation while Etruria collapses implies he's gotten less formal in old age rather than more so. And to some extend he already was a parent in Blazing Blade. Erk's seems more an adoptee than just a student given he's living in their house and Louise behaves like his mom.

I've never laid eyes on PoR or Radiant Dawn outside a few minutes of YouTube footage and playing the latter for a few minutes once in a Shriner's hospital like a decade ago. But, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Soren have a fairly sizable fanbase back in the day for his supposed bromance with Ike?

Really seems like Engage missed the opportunity to do something with that.

2 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

I've never laid eyes on PoR or Radiant Dawn outside a few minutes of YouTube footage and playing the latter for a few minutes once in a Shriner's hospital like a decade ago. But, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Soren have a fairly sizable fanbase back in the day for his supposed bromance with Ike?

Really seems like Engage missed the opportunity to do something with that.

Do what though? The game wasn't really about the emblems and even if it were, Soren is DLC.

• 4 weeks later...

Since Tharja was brought up, I thought I’d mention Camilla. Sexually charged characters tend to polarize people one way or another for various reasons, but there is much more to her character than just sex appeal and she’s not a yandere. 98% of the time she’s pretty normal. It’s worth noting that outside of S-support related dialogue, Camilla has the exact same dialogue towards male and female Corrin. Her post-S-support dialogue isn’t all that remarkable, and she never is upset about marrying bachelors other than Corrin, as opposed to Tharja, Faye or even Cordelia with their respective love interests.

Her more yandere-like tendencies stem from her fears. Camilla has a subtle but strong fear of losing people dear to her, which is also shown in her support with Selena. This is likely due to her losing her mother and some siblings/half-siblings, and having to fight to the death in the feuds that happened among Nohr’s royal family. This also explains why Camilla is overprotective of Corrin. She fears for Corrin’s safety, which is understandable in a grim and dangerous place like Nohr, and wants Corrin to stay innocent. Also, Azura was kidnapped, which validates Camilla’s fears of the same thing happening to Corrin.

Camilla’s personality is polarizing, but she’s certainly a character with depth to her.