A Fun Pokexercise: 12-Type Teambuilding

Shanty Pete's 1st Mate

This was a challenge I posed to myself, the other day over lunch:

Can I build a team of 6 Pokemon, with 12 types represented, within a given generation?

Easier said than done! Originally, I had Gen I on my mind. It was one thing, to put three or four together. But then I'd add a fifth, and a sixth member became impossible! That said, I did come up with a squad that works:

For Gen I (RBY):

Spoiler

Gengar (Ghost/Poison)

Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)

Jynx (Ice/Psychic)

Parasect (Bug/Grass)

Poliwrath (Water/Fighting)

Golem (Rock/Ground)

For Gen II (GSC):

Spoiler

Heracross (Bug/Fighting)

Piloswine (Ice/Ground)

Tyranitar (Rock/Dark)

Lanturn (Water/Electric)

Girafarig (Normal/Psychic)

Jumpluff (Grass/Flying)

For Gen III (RSE):

Spoiler

Blaziken (Fire/Fighting)

Whiscash (Water/Ground)

Shiftry (Grass/Dark)

Swellow (Normal/Flying)

Lunatone (Rock/Psychic)

Dustox (Bug/Poison)

Gen IV (DPP):

Spoiler

Gallade (Psychic/Fighting)

Empoleon (Water/Steel)

Skuntank (Poison/Dark)

Staraptor (Normal/Flying)

Rotom (Electric/Ghost)

Wormadam (Bug/Grass)

I could go on, but I think this makes the point. I am wondering - what 12-type teams can you come up with, either in the games and generations mentioned, or in more recent titles? I would be curious, too, whether your squad comes out quite close to mine, or else something completely different. Good luck, and have fun!

I came up with these lists before looking at yours:

Gen I:

Spoiler
  • parasect (bug/grass)
  • jynx (ice/psychic)
  • poliwrath (water/fighting)
  • golem (rock/ground)
  • gengar (ghost/poison)
  • dragonite (dragon/flying)

Gen II:

Spoiler
  • sneasel (dark/ice)
  • shuckle (bug/rock)
  • crobat (poison/flying)
  • steelix (steel/ground)
  • girafarig (normal/psychic)
  • lanturn (water/electric)

Gen III:

Spoiler
  • shiftry (grass/dark)
  • pelipper (water/flying)
  • shedinja (bug/ghost)
  • aggron (steel/rock)
  • medicham (fighting/psychic)
  • camerupt (fire/ground)

Gen IV:

Spoiler
  • empoleon (water/steel)
  • torterra (grass/ground)
  • staraptor (normal/flying)
  • spiritomb (ghost/dark)
  • toxicroak (poison/fighting)
  • frost rotom (electric/ice)

Now comparing those lists with yours, we have literally identical (except for order) lists for gen I, but substantially different lists for subsequent generations. Which isn't entirely surprising. Gen I did tend to reuse a lot of its type combinations (grass/poison and ground/rock especially), so it's not surprising that there just weren't as many possibilities to choose from.

5 hours ago, lenticular said:

I came up with these lists before looking at yours:

Gen I:

Reveal hidden contents
  • parasect (bug/grass)
  • jynx (ice/psychic)
  • poliwrath (water/fighting)
  • golem (rock/ground)
  • gengar (ghost/poison)
  • dragonite (dragon/flying)

Gen II:

Reveal hidden contents
  • sneasel (dark/ice)
  • shuckle (bug/rock)
  • crobat (poison/flying)
  • steelix (steel/ground)
  • girafarig (normal/psychic)
  • lanturn (water/electric)

Gen III:

Hide contents
  • shiftry (grass/dark)
  • pelipper (water/flying)
  • shedinja (bug/ghost)
  • aggron (steel/rock)
  • medicham (fighting/psychic)
  • camerupt (fire/ground)

Gen IV:

Reveal hidden contents
  • empoleon (water/steel)
  • torterra (grass/ground)
  • staraptor (normal/flying)
  • spiritomb (ghost/dark)
  • toxicroak (poison/fighting)
  • frost rotom (electric/ice)

Now comparing those lists with yours, we have literally identical (except for order) lists for gen I, but substantially different lists for subsequent generations. Which isn't entirely surprising. Gen I did tend to reuse a lot of its type combinations (grass/poison and ground/rock especially), so it's not surprising that there just weren't as many possibilities to choose from.

Some great lists! Interesting that we have at least one overlap on every team. But it makes sense, as certain rare pairings would stick out right away. I only have one "um, ackshyually" to give:

Spoiler

In Gen IV, all the Rotom forms were still Electric/Ghost. The types weren't differentiated until Gen V.

I think it makes sense that Gen I was the toughest. While it has a large pool of Pokemon, as you said, a lot of the dual-types were repeated. On top of that, there were only 15 types to choose from, rather than the later 17 (and then 18). And even then, two of those types had one fully-evolved representative each - both of whom had a secondary type (fortunately for this thread), but an insanely common one that knocked out a bunch of other options (unfortunately). There are a few "analogues" to this team, with one or two members replaced, so I'm curious if anyone else comes up with them organically.

Oh, and thanks for playing! Anyway, may as well make a quick detour to Unova!

For Gen V (BW):

Spoiler

Emboar (Fire/Fighting)

Jellicent (Water/Ghost)

Amoongus (Grass/Poison)

Hydreigon (Dragon/Dark)

Galvantula (Bug/Electric)

Woobat (Psychic/Flying)

19 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I only have one "um, ackshyually" to give:

Dammit.

19 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think it makes sense that Gen I was the toughest. While it has a large pool of Pokemon, as you said, a lot of the dual-types were repeated. On top of that, there were only 15 types to choose from, rather than the later 17 (and then 18). And even then, two of those types had one fully-evolved representative each - both of whom had a secondary type (fortunately for this thread), but an insanely common one that knocked out a bunch of other options (unfortunately). There are a few "analogues" to this team, with one or two members replaced, so I'm curious if anyone else comes up with them organically.

Thinking about this further:

Spoiler

There are only 15 types, as you say, and we need to have 12 of them. However, the only options for dragon, electric, fire and normal types are all secondarily flying (zapdos, dragonite, charizard/moltres and pidgeot/fearow/dodrio/farfetch'd). So this means that we can only have at most one out of these four types, which brings us down to effectively having only 12 options.

This means we must include one of the above, and then we must include all other ten types. The only dual-type fighting choice is poliwrath, so we have to include that, and the only option for ghost is the gengar line, so that's in too.

For our ground option, we already have a poison type so we can't choose nidoking or nidoqueen, which means we have to take one of the ground/rock options (onix, golem, or rhydon). Likewise, we could typically pair ice with water (lapras, cloyster, dewgong) or with flying (articuno) but those are already taken, so the only option remaining for ice is to take jynx for ice/psychic.

This leaves us with only bug and grass remaining, with the parasect line beign the only option.

So, unless I've made a mistake in my reasoning at some point, a 12-type team from gen I must be:

• Parasect
  • Jynx
  • Gengar
  • Poliwrath
  • One of: Onix, Rhydon, Golem
  • One of: Zapdos, Dragonite, Charizard, Moltres, Pidgeot, Fearow, Dodrio, Farfetch'd

I don't think there are any other options (except for swapping out fully evolved pokémon for the pre-evolution forms from the same lines). So with that in mind, I don't think it's surprising that we ended up with the same list.

Gen I:

Spoiler
  1. Gengar (Ghost/Poison)
  2. Rhydon (Ground/Rock)
  3. Charizard (Fire/Flying)
  4. Poliwrath (Water/Fighting)
  5. Jynx (Ice/Psychic)
  6. Parasect (Grass/Bug)

Hard as I tried, I think it might be physically impossible to exclude Parasect unless you cheat with regionals.

Gen II:

Spoiler
  1. Houndoom (Fire/Dark)
  2. Lanturn (Water/Electric)
  3. Crobat (Poison/Flying)
  4. Scizor (Bug/Steel)
  5. Piloswine (Ground/Ice)
  6. Heracross (Bug/Fighting)

By the way I'm banning legendaries from my lists, although that's not too relevant with Johto.

Gen III:

Spoiler
  1. Salamence (Dragon/Flying)
  2. Metagross (Steel/Psychic)
  3. Breloom (Grass/Fighting)
  4. Camerupt (Fire/Ground)
  5. Walrein (Water/Ice)
  6. Sableye (Ghost/Dark)

Nothing against pseudos, though!

Gen IV:

Spoiler
  1. Staraptor (Normal/Flying)
  2. Drapion (Poison/Dark)
  3. Gastrodon (Water/Ground)
  4. Infernape (Fire/Fighting)
  5. Bronzong (Steel/Psychic)
  6. Abomasnow (Grass/Ice)

Look Mom, no cross-gens!

Gen V:

Spoiler
  1. Galvantula (Bug/Electric)
  2. Scrafty (Dark/Fighting)
  3. Chandelure (Fire/Ghost)
  4. Seismitoad (Water/Ground)
  5. Archeops (Rock/Flying)
  6. Sawsbuck (Normal/Grass)

Last one, and I mainly went this far so that Electric doesn't stay left out.

Gen 1 is a total desert. Gengar, Poliwrath, Jynx, and Parasect, a Rock/Ground type (so Rhydon, Golem, or Onix), and someone with the Flying type (so Charizard/Moltres, Pidgeot/Fearow/Farfetch'd/Dodrio, Zapdos, or Dragonite) are required. It's not very creative.

Past Gen 1, I think I managed to make teams that didn't include any starters, legendaries, cross-gens (Pokemon evolutions introduced in later generations), or regional forms (since that's more or less the same as a cross-gen).

Starting with Gen 2:

Spoiler
  • Heracross (Bug/Fighting)
  • Girafarig (Normal/Psychic)
  • Lanturn (Water/Electric)
  • Gligar (Ground/Flying)
  • Marcargo (Fire/Rock)
  • Sneasel (Dark/Ice)

As for Gen 3:

Spoiler
  • Breloom (Grass/Fighting)
  • Aggron (Steel/Rock)
  • Camerupt (Fire/Ground)
  • Sableye (Dark/Ghost)
  • Swellow (Normal/Flying)
  • Walrein (Ice/Water)

Next up for Gen 4:

Spoiler
  • Toxicroak (Poison/Fighting)
  • Spiritomb (Ghost/Dark)
  • Bronzong (Steel/Psychic)
  • Vespiquen (Bug/Flying)
  • Gastrodon (Water/Ground)
  • Abomasnow (Grass/Ice)

Then Gen 5:

Spoiler
  • Excadrill (Ground/Steel)
  • Leavanny (Bug/Grass)
  • Sigilyph (Psychic/Flying)
  • Carracosta (Water/Rock)
  • Chandelure (Ghost/Fire)
  • Hydreigon (Dark/Dragon)

And Gen 6:

Spoiler
  • Aegislash (Steel/Ghost)
  • Heliolisk (Electric/Normal)
  • Aurorus (Rock/Ice)
  • Dragalge (Poison/Dragon)
  • Malamar (Dark/Psychic)
  • Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying)

Lastly, Gen 7 (I haven't played Gen 8 or 9):

Spoiler
  • Dhelmise (Ghost/Grass)
  • Kommo-o (Dragon/Fighting)
  • Bruxish (Water/Psychic)
  • Vikavolt (Bug/Electric)
  • Salazzle (Poison/Fire)
  • Toucannon (Normal/Flying)

~ ~ ~

Considering the limitations I put on myself, Gen 6 had the least amount of Pokemon to choose from, which... wasn't that surprising, in hindsight. Gen 5 was probably one of the easier ones since it introduced the same amount of Pokemon as Gen 1, the most out of any generation iirc, but it wasn't as limiting since there were more type combinations.

12 hours ago, lenticular said:

Thinking about this further:

11 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Hard as I tried, I think it might be physically impossible to exclude Parasect unless you cheat with regionals.

38 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

Gen 1 is a total desert. Gengar, Poliwrath, Jynx, and Parasect, a Rock/Ground type (so Rhydon, Golem, or Onix), and someone with the Flying type (so Charizard/Moltres, Pidgeot/Fearow/Farfetch'd/Dodrio, Zapdos, or Dragonite) are required. It's not very creative.

So, it's not just me then. It looks like four Mons are universally required, whereas the last two spots are highly constrained.

That said, it opens up ever so slightly in FRLG, where you could have something like:

Spoiler

Magneton (Electric/Steel)

Lapras (Water/Ice)

Exeggutor (Grass/Psychic)

Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Gengar (Ghost/Poison)

Rhydon (Rock/Ground)

All thanks to a single type change to one evolutionary line!

Moving on to Gen II, I noticed that every submitted set shares one particular Mon, in the form of

Spoiler

Lanturn (Water/Electric)

I'm wracking my brain to figure out whether it's a must-have, and I'm leaning toward "yes". Namely, there are no teams out there where I can swap sonething new into its place, and still have everything work. I thought I could with @X-Naut's team, but turns out, there was actually an overlap there - oops! But if anyone can come up with a Gen II team that doesn't have that particular species, then drop me a line!

EDIT: Future First Mate here - yer gonna walk the plank fer yer ignorance! Didn'tcha know that you could just replace that Mon with

Spoiler

Qwilfish (Water/Poison)

In yer original crew? Turns out, there's no forced matey after all, ye loony liver!

Anyway, I'll round out my familiar generations with teams

For Gen VI (XY):

Spoiler

Dragalge (Poison/Dragon)

Pangoro (Fighting/Dark)

Heliolisk (Normal/Electric)

Aurorus (Rock/Ice)

Talonflame (Fire/Flying)

Gourgeist (Grass/Ghost)

For Gen VII (🌞🌚😞

Spoiler

Araquanid (Water/Bug)

Salazzle (Poison/Fire)

Oranguru (Normal/Psychic)

Crabominable (Ice/Fighting)

Shiinotic (Grass/Fairy)

Minior (Rock/Flying)

I haven't played the Galar or Paldea games, so this might be my limit!

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Message from my future self.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That said, it opens up ever so slightly in FRLG, where you could have something like:

If you move onto Let's Go with the fairy type, you can then have:

Spoiler
  • Magnemite (steel/electric)
  • Wigglytuff (normal/fairy)
  • Cloyster (water/ice)
  • Exeggutor (grass/psychic)
  • Nidoqueen (ground/poison)
  • Aerodactyl (rock/flying)

Which has absolutely no overlap with the obligatory Gen 1 team.

Well this was interesting

Gen 1

Spoiler

Dragonite (Dragon + Flying)

Gengar (Poison + Ghost)

Jynx (Ice + Psychic)

Parasect (Bug + Grass)

Poliwrath (Water + Fighting)

Rhydon (Rock + Ground)

I love gen 1, but it is a shame how constrained this little experiment is in this generation.

Gen 2

Spoiler

Lanturn (Water + Electric)

Jumpluff (Grass + Flying)

Magcargo (Fire + Rock)

Sneasel (Ice + Dark)

Steelix (Steel + Ground)

Girafirig (Psychic + Normal)

Controversial take, but I love that Gen 2 pokemon are distinctly not power creeping gen 1. I have all these interestingly typed pokemon, who are all OK at best, and didn't feel the need to be better than every other pokemon of their types from the previous generations, they could just be pokemon of that type.

Gen 3

Spoiler

Sabeleye (Dark + Ghost)

Ludicolo (Grass + Water)

Metagross (Steel + Psychic)

Flygon (Ground + Dragon)

Swellow (Normal + Flying)

Blaziken (Fire + Fighting)

I feel a bit basic for having both a starter, and one of the innumerable Normal/Flying types in this list, but I don't feel strongly enough about Gen 3 to make a better one.

Gen 4

Spoiler

Rotom (Ghost + Electric)

Drapion (Dark + Poison)

Lucarion (Steel + Fighting)

Gastrodon (Water + Ground)

Abomasnow (Ice + Grass)

Vespiquen (Bug + Flying)

I went out of my way to avoid any of the new evos with this one, which was an interesting additional constraint...in fact, time for a bonus team

Spoiler

Roserade (Grass + Poison)

Honchkrow (Dark + Flying)

Magnezone (Electric + Steel)

Rhyperior (Ground + Rock)

Gallade (Fighting + Psychic)

Froslass (Ghost + Ice)

The Opps all new evos team as well 😛 . I almost thought it was implossible, before I noticed that I forgot about Roserade.

Gen 5

Spoiler

Chandelure (Fire + Ghost)

Sawsbuck (Grass + Normal)

Seismitoad (Water + Ground)

Sigililyph (Psychic + Flying)

Hydregion (Dark + Dragon)

Galvantula (Electric + Bug)

This is such a fun little excercise, as it lets met build such intersting little teams here, although sometimes it hurts to make decisions on some types

Gen 6

Spoiler

Aegislash (Steel + Ghost)

Dragalge (Poison + Dragon)

Malamar (Dark + Psychic)

Hawlucha (Fighting + Flying)

Auroras (Ice + Rock)

Dedene (Electric + Fairy)

I got four pokes into this one, and realized I could no longer fit a classic Grass-Water-Fire core to this team, and then decided to not use any of those types at all, which was a fun additional constraint

Gen 7

Spoiler

Bruxish (Water + Psychic)

Drampa (Normal + Dragon)

Dhelmise (Grass + Ghost)

Togedemaru (Electric + Steel)

Salazzle (Fire + Poison)

Ribombee (Bug + Fairy)

So many interesting, and tragically forgotten pokemon in this generation, which I do kind of love, like the oft bullied Bruxish, the amusing Drampa, and that odd ball of Dhelmise.

Gen 8

Spoiler

Appletun (Grass + Dragon)

Wyrdeer (Normal + Psychic)

Basculegion (Ghost + Water)

Overqwil (Poison + Dark)

Kleavor (Bug + Rock)

Enamorus (Fairy + Flying)

After locking in the best of the adorable apple dragons (and I legitimately do love that there are multiple apple dragons to chose from, all the way up to three  fully evolved ones as of the new DLC), I showed my combined love of Legends Arceus, and contempt of the main-line gen 8 games by filling the rest of the list with Hisui exclusives. Congratualtion Enamorus, you get to be the only legend on the list due to this pettiness.

Gen 9

Spoiler

Scovillain (Fire + Grass)

Tatsugiri (Water + Dragon)

Tinkaton (Steel + Fairy)

Lokix (Dark + Bug)

Grafaiai (Poison + Normal)

Kilowattrel (Electric + Flying)

Fun fact, each pokemon on this last list is a dual-typing I have yet to include on any of the lists before. Admittedly half of them are type combinations unique to their line (Scovillain's Fire-Grass, Lokix's Dark-Bug, and Grafaiai's Poison-Normal). I will also note that I avoided Paradox pokemon intentionally as well, so its time for another bonus team

Spoiler

Slither Wing (Bug + Fighting)

Iron Moth (Fire + Poison)

Iron Bundle (Ice + Water)

Flutter Mane (Ghost + Fairy)

Roaring Moon (Dark + Dragon)

Sandy Shocks (Electric + Ground)

Of Opps All Paradox Pokemon 😛  Also, it amused me to no end that I could fit both the future, and past versions of Volcarona on this list, which made me feel a little better about it getting the boot for Chandelure on the gen 5 team. I did also skip over the DLC mons here, but I don't think there are enough for me to make another bonus team.

On 9/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, indigoasis said:

And Gen 6:

Hide contents
  • Aegislash (Steel/Ghost)
  • Heliolisk (Electric/Normal)
  • Aurorus (Rock/Ice)
  • Dragalge (Poison/Dragon)
  • Malamar (Dark/Psychic)
  • Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying)

We almost had the same team for this gen, with me just trading your Heliolisk for my Dedene.

On 9/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Moving on to Gen II, I noticed that every submitted set shares one particular Mon, in the form of

Hide contents

Lanturn (Water/Electric)

I'm wracking my brain to figure out whether it's a must-have, and I'm leaning toward "yes". Namely, there are no teams out there where I can swap sonething new into its place, and still have everything work. I thought I could with @X-Naut's team, but turns out, there was actually an overlap there - oops! But if anyone can come up with a Gen II team that doesn't have that particular species, then drop me a line!

Laturn was my first choice on my original team list, but if I wanted to avoid any of the gen 2 water types...

Spoiler

Magcargo (Fire + Rock)

Sneasel (Ice + Dark)

Girafirig (Psychic + Normal)

Jumpluff (Grass + Flying)

Heracross (Bug + Fighting)

Steelix (Steel + Ground)

This team should work...although looking at it again, even though I made it anew, it ended up as my original gen 2 team, but replacing Lanturn with Heracross

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

We almost had the same team for this gen, with me just trading your Heliolisk for my Dedene.

Great minds think alike! I did actually consider Dedenne, but decided against including any Pika-clones for a slightly additional challenge (much to my detriment for Gen 7).

I avoided these as options before, but it is time for a few Regional Form teams for fun

First The Alolan Regional forms only team

Spoiler

Exeggutor (Grass + Dragon)

Marowak (Fire + Ghost)

Ninetales (Ice + Fairy)

Raichu (Electric + Psychic)

Dugtrio (Ground + Steel)

Muk (Poison + Dark)

Which is a fun looking team there, especially when there are only 10 pokemon lines to make a team with.

Sadly, the Galar version is impossible. Rapidash, Slowbro/Slowking, and Weezing create a dual type triangle with Psychic/Fairy/Poison that ensures only one of them can be chosen. The Legendary Birds all share a Flying typing, so you can only chose one of those. Yamask and Stunfisk share a Ground typing so only one of those can be chosen. If you include Zen mode, both Mr.Mime and zen mode Darmanitan share an Ice typing, so only one can be chosen. Add in the last option of the Linoone line, and you only get to 5 pokemon.

Now for the Hisuian team, which is one I am a bit excite to create

Spoiler

Zoroark (Ghost + Normal)

Arcanine (Fire + Rock)

Goodra (Steel + Dragon)

Electrode (Grass+ Electric)

Braviary (Psychic + Flying)

Samurott (Water + Dark)

Technically there are ways to do it without a starter (replace Samurott with Qwilfish in my list will work for instance), but I like the look of this team better.

Paldea has too few actual regional forms to make a team from, and even adding in the ecologically similar pokemon still doesn't get enough, and if I add the paradox pokemon in, it will be to similar to the Paradox Pokemon team I already did.

After two dud rounds, I think I will add one last little fun team, time for a no-evo team, with each member from a different generation to make things more fun.

Spoiler

Aerodactyl (Rock + Flying) ~Gen 1

Heracross (Fighting + Bug) ~Gen 2

Spiritomb ( Dark + Ghost) ~Gen 4

Klefki (Steel + Fairy) ~Gen 6

Turtonator (Fire + Dragon) ~Gen 7

Veluza (Water + Psychic) ~Gen 9

I did also make sure to include only pokemon I haven't yet included on a team, which let me include some fun pokemon I wasn't able to before.

Gen I

Spoiler
  • Charizard - Fire/Flying
  • Rhydon - Ground/Rock
  • Gengar - Ghost/Poison
  • Poliwrath - Water/Fighting
  • Parasect - Grass/Bug
  • Jynx - Ice/Psychic

Gen II

Spoiler
  • Ariados - Bug/Poison
  • Lanturn - Water/Electric