Any party members you use for reasons other than usefulness?

Shadow Mir

The thread title says it all. For me, it's Natalia and Estellise in Abyss and Vesperia, respectively. Some say that the other healer choices are better, but personally, I find that hard to buy, especially as far as Vesperia is concerned. Tear's healing spells aside from First Aid are rather impractical (Healing Circle's an AoE healing spell, which I don't see as all that useful in general, and Revitalize eats up a ton of TP AND has a long cast time), not to mention shooting enemies from all the way across the field is fun. And as far as Vesperia goes, Karol's healing isn't enough to help until near the end of part 2, and regarding Raven, let's just say that 15% healing just ain't enough... so yeah.

Zidane because forced for 80+ % of the game

Snivy because other starters suck visually

Penelo because I use everyone in that game

Navarre because I like him

Shingen because... good question. Why the fuck do I use him? Rhyperior blows.

I do not use scrubs because I am a efficiency whore

Yes, in every single game ever made. I usually construct teams in anything out of pure bias.

Sometimes the bias comes from statistics, but not usually.

I use Zelos because I absolutely love his battle dialogue, because he's my favorite character, and because he's really versatile.

Yukari for Persona 3, because I don't like Ken and since I'm playing on maniac, multi healing isn't very useful. If you don't kill the enemy in one AoA, you're usually screwed. I have Akihiko for zio skills anyway.

Naoto in Persona 4, because I love her <3

Akihiko. Not that he sucks, but he's a chariot (or Strength?) and I'm not a physical fighter. I use Ken for my electric guy instead... But also Akhiko because he's awesome.

In TotA, I play as Guy instead of Luke. Does that count?

Lyude. Normally, my team would be Kalas, Gibari, and Savyna. But I just love Lyude, so I trade him out for Gibari, usually.

I sometimes use Regal in Tales of Symphonia because he's badass.

'Sall I can think of right now.

I kick Luke out of the party the minute I get Guy. Guy's lighter, and can run away and heal himself (which is something the stupid AI doesn't take advantage of). I also adore Cruz in Yggdra Union~!

Akihiko. Not that he sucks, but he's a chariot (or Strength?) and I'm not a physical fighter. I use Ken for my electric guy instead... But also Akhiko because he's awesome.

Actually Akihiko represents Emperor in P3, and Star if you play as a girl in P3P. Koromaru is strength, and I think Shinjiro might be Chariot. Not sure, as in the girl side Shinjiro is Moon. Chie in P4 is Chariot, though.

In most RPGs I like to cycle through the whole cast. In particular, in Skies of Arcadia, Enrique is clearly the best but I like using Gilder the most. If I could swap out Fina I probably would for most occasions though she is still an essential character vs bosses unless you use Super Vyse and break the game.

I have never in any game I have ever played constructed a team of fighters for any other reason than because they were interesting characters or aesthetically pleasing. I could not possibly care less if one fighter has the ability to wreck the field if I max them out or strengthen them further compared to one that looks or acts cool. This extends to everything in functionality from items to attacks.

This comes to be a problem with me when I play games where the better-looking equipment is substantially worse than the better things you find. It's why I can't get through Armored Core V right now, my mech's getting obsoleted by parts that look like they were ripped off the world's biggest rusty trash can.

The first four p[arty members you get in shining force;

Ken, Luke, Tao, Hans

They aren't the best characters, but dammit they were with you in the beginning, they deserve to make it all the way

Doesn't apply quite the same to Chester in SF2, sadly.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who select their teams based on how much they like the characters, not on how useful they are. Although I do try to find a balance; if a character sucks really bad no matter how you put it, then I probably won't use it much even if I like it.

Still, examples:

- Relm in FF6 is a must for my team (although she's a fairly good mage if you're willing to invest some training... Not that it really matters, as ULTIMA QUICK ULTIMA ULTIMA ULTIMA ULTIMA roflstomps everything anyway).

- I always go with Bombette as my partner in Paper Mario, simply because I like her a lot. She's by no means a bad fighter either, but her techs consume a lot of FP.

- In any FE ever, I tend to use mages over other characters, especially if they're female. I like magic.

- In any Mario Kart game where he's available, I'll usually pick Waluigi to play as. When he isn't, I usually pick Yoshi or Luigi instead. Funky and Daisy can go screw themselves.

- Similarly, in SSBB, I very much like to play as Yoshi and Captain Falcon despite them being widely considered bad characters.

(Not quite an example, but it's a similar situation:)

- I almost always play as a wizard in Elona despite it being by far the worst non-tourist class in the game. Magic sucks really bad in this game, but it's very interesting to use at the same time.

I like to use Frog. Not that I dislike the better options (e.g. Robo and Ayla), but Frog just appeals to me more than the others.

Momo and Peco are cool, and I'm fully aware of how devastating they can get when you raise them, but I simply just prefer to have Rei and Garr instead, because they appeal to me much more.

Of course, I'd like to say the same for Strange Journey, but Mara is simply not as good as Shiva, Seraph or Masakado, and unfortunately, Strange Journey doesn't really allow for you to have your desired party and win.

That's about all I can think of 4 now.

I like to use Frog. Not that I dislike the better options (e.g. Robo and Ayla), but Frog just appeals to me more than the others.

Momo and Peco are cool, and I'm fully aware of how devastating they can get when you raise them, but I simply just prefer to have Rei and Garr instead, because they appeal to me much more.

Of course, I'd like to say the same for Strange Journey, but Mara is simply not as good as Shiva, Seraph or Masakado, and unfortunately, Strange Journey doesn't really allow for you to have your desired party and win.

That's about all I can think of 4 now.

I like Frog because of his story....lol normally I pair him in my party with magus

I'm also amazed at how people don't use Estelle, considering that she's the ONLY actually decent healer in the game.

Agreed; why people think Karol is a worthy substitute for her is beyond me, especially when he's stuck with Nice Aid Smash until he gets whichever weapon allows him to get the skill to change it to Nice Healing Smash, which, as far as I can remember, is somewhere near the end of part 2, and even with Nice Curing Smash (which requires NHS mastered before you can activate it), the range is still pitifully small...

Regal Bryant from Tales of Symphonia, because fighting in handcuffs without a weapon is one of the manliest things I've ever seen. He also has some pretty good moves.

I almost always use Pelleas because he's the only dark mage in Radiant Dawn. I usually make him a obligatory healer by endgame, once his Dark Magic has reached SS rank, and I give his blessed Balberith to Lehran.

Oi people who use Estelle

If you claim to use her for being the best/most ideal/whatever healer in the game, why do you talk of it in topic named "Any party members you use for reasons other than usefulness?".

Just saying isn't that the definition of off-topic?

Its almost as if you imply that all healers are useless in those games.

I like using Frog. I didn't even know he was bad. I didn't know there was such a thing as a bad PC in Chrono Trigger.

In FFXII I only used Vaan, Fran and Basch, and only used the other 3 to do quickening chains in certain battles.

My main party for mem aleph was...

Frost King, Ishtar? or some other mid-level megami/fairy monster, Huang Long and PROTAGONIST

With Huang Long being the highest leveled monster I could use at that time.

This comes to be a problem with me when I play games where the better-looking equipment is substantially worse than the better things you find. It's why I can't get through Armored Core V right now, my mech's getting obsoleted by parts that look like they were ripped off the world's biggest rusty trash can.

Akira Kurosawa gun is the best gun that looks the best!!!

Edited by L1049

Oi people who use Estelle

If you claim to use her for being the best/most ideal/whatever healer in the game, why do you talk of it in topic named "Any party members you use for reasons other than usefulness?".

Just saying isn't that the definition of off-topic?

Its almost as if you imply that all healers are useless in those games.

Bold: Do you really think I'd imply that?

In all honesty, I didn't mention it in the OP, but she's my favorite character in the game.