Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

Ana, please Ana, stahp. Amelia wasn't bossing you around, she was giving you suggestions to help you. And working on your practice pieces really is a good way to improve your artwork, trust me.

Please don't push away people when they try to help you improve. If you keep doing that then your topic will end up going downhill again. DX

Oh, and on Frederick himself, even without Amelia's quick sketch he really does look lopsided, and his head looks unusually long as well. :/

I'm not pushing anyone away. I did say I was going to keep it in mind for future reference. And sorry, but I don't want to stay on the same piece. Like I said, I have others I want to do. I'm working on finishing one up right now, actually.

And it feels to me like you all are trying to force me to stay on that Frederick piece and I don't appreciate it.

I do agree that I made his face a bit long though. I was trying to make this a quick piece because I want to get better at doing good art faster. I've been a slowpoke at this for too long. xP But it seems I still need more work on that.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its good for future reference Anacybele. some thing to keep in mind for later projects.

basically what i was saying but I'm not Eric...

Yarly, Amelia was fooled by the avatar...!

We actually both had it at the same time at one point, too!

Just got on topic, hahaha, man I remembered why I avoided this place, so much defensiveness all over the place.

Edited by Kitty of Time

I am getting defensive again this time, true. But I'm not defending any art pieces. I'm defending the fact that I cannot be forced to take every single suggestion that's given to me. This doesn't mean I won't accept any at all, however.

I'm not pushing anyone away. I did say I was going to keep it in mind for future reference. And sorry, but I don't want to stay on the same piece. Like I said, I have others I want to do. I'm working on finishing one up right now, actually.

And it feels to me like you all are trying to force me to stay on that Frederick piece and I don't appreciate it.

I do agree that I made his face a bit long though. I was trying to make this a quick piece because I want to get better at doing good art faster. I've been a slowpoke at this for too long. xP But it seems I still need more work on that.

Where did I ever imply that I was forcing you to keep working on Frederick? I said that it was a good idea and that it helps you improve as an artist. You're putting words into my mouth and that makes me sad... ;-;

Where did I ever imply that I was forcing you to keep working on Frederick? I said that it was a good idea and that it helps you improve as an artist. You're putting words into my mouth and that makes me sad... ;-;

I didn't say you SAID it. I said that's what your tone and Amelia's tone felt like. If this wasn't your intention, I apologize. But I still don't want to go back to that piece. It would require me to go downstairs and boot up the Wii U and Art Academy anyway, which I don't feel like doing atm. xP

It wasn't my intention at all. If you really don't want to go back to work on him, fine, but you shouldn't get so defensive about it. No one is trying to attack you here, hun.

I know, but you guys kept repeating "working on that piece again is a good idea" so I felt like you were trying to shove the suggestion down my throat. xP

I'm really sorry for being defensive, honest.

So, anyway, here's that piece I was finishing! It's the wolf pic from earlier. :D

a_true_wolf_team_by_great_aether-d6kp7cm

For some reason, I just never had the motivation to finish it for awhile. I'm not sure I know how to shade rock, though, despite that I used references. xP But it's my first attempt, so yeah. Also my first attempt at wolves.

Full description here. :)

Hmm, good picture. Although I feel it'd be better if the shadow/shading was a little bigger, making the wolves look fuller. Especially on the tails, they are extremely flat.

More defined light source would help, too. Because I can't really tell where the light is coming from in this.

Yeah, you might be right about that. But how would I make it "bigger"?

As for the light source, I thought it was obvious that it's coming from the upper left. I seem to never get that right...

Yeah, you might be right about that. But how would I make it "bigger"?

As for the light source, I thought it was obvious that it's coming from the upper left. I seem to never get that right...

By exactly what it means, actually. Just make the shadow bigger. Giving the characters more depth.

It could just be me. I don't really understand what's up with the light blobs under the wolves.

I would probably just fill in the light blobs. With the way light works, it usually doesn't look like that, since they're beneath the body. I can tell the lighting has mostly been considered, but it still feels a little flat. The chosen viewpoint doesn't really help, as it's very hard to make a side view feel voluminous. The body structure of the wolves is decent, but in future art you might want to look at a few more images of aggressive wolves. The silver(?) wolf doesn't seem very tense. The red wolf is a lot more accurate and threatening looking with his arched back and bristled fur. I know you did show off this as a sketch awhile ago so in this case, it's so far along that this is just stuff to keep in mind next time. As for backgrounds, I can see what you're going for, but I can't really say it's working for me. The colour choice is a little garish and bright, and the rocks seem really flat with the way the other shadows cover them. Next time I might bring in a picture of some mountain trails and pick colours from a photograph since the dodge is really, pardon the pun here, dodgy.

Oh, really? I felt the dodge tool actually worked in this case, because of how sunlight adds a tint of color to stuff. But thanks for all the critique! I realize it isn't my best piece ever lol (that honor still goes to the FrederickxAvatar wedding pic, imo).

I felt like doodling some more in Art Academy. lol

their_love_blossoms_by_great_aether-d6kw

It's Bryan and Faline. :3 They're a couple from my Fire Emblem fic, Dawn of Darkness. Bryan is also my favorite character in the story. He's just awesome. <3

Bryan's a Halberdier and Faline's a Pegasus knight. But I decided to leave them out of their armor, cause I'm still new to using the Wii U gamepad to draw and color like this. And maybe the two are relaxing for a bit between battles. lol

I know it isn't my greatest piece, but I would like to work on pumping out artwork faster than I normally do, so I can do more stuff in a shorter time! And as I said, I'm still getting the hang of doing art like this on the gamepad.

Yeah, Faline's a little off, mainly with the eyes. But eyes are so hard to do on a gamepad, ugh. Need more practice lol.

New sketch! It's another Frederick art, though one I hadn't actually had in mind until recently because the idea was given to me by another Frederick fan. lol

WiiFitFrederickS_zps6ebc8207.png

Come on, you know this is perfect for him. XD (Frederick's dialogue here is an actual quote from Awakening too, btw. He says it in his support with Tharja. lol)

I don't have a lot of experience drawing muscles, but I did my best. I also realize I made Freddy a tad cross-eyed, but this I can easily fix in Photoshop when I add color. He's got a wedding ring cause I just couldn't resist. I like him married. :D

Edited by Anacybele

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK THE WII FIT BOARD!!!!!!!!!!

[spoiler=spoiler cause kinda long but not really.]

the actual muscles aren't bad. well on the arms at least. the abs look rather sloppy in my opinion. other than that its stranded and all.

my biggest complaint's are that A] its rather boring what with Frederick there right in the middle and his pose lacks life to it. try to liven up the background a little and give his pose more of an actual posture and not just a lifeless model you add cloths too.

B] whats with the bun thing on his head? oh and don't rely totally on a computer to help correct mistakes as it helps to be able to know how to do this sort of thing on your own.

C] a problem i may have personally with your art but i feel it lacks any sort of style of its own and it all feels so lifeless and boring. nothing really defines your work and i would be hard pressed to even notice it amongst a collection of other pieces of work. its not the worst Ive seen but its not art i would actually go out of my way to find.

also id like to ask you to give alternative coloring styles a shot like ink, pencil crayon, paint or even water color as the coloring of a lot of your work looks like shit. i say this because it will help shading if you get a better idea of how to do it without computer guidance. at least in my opinion.

seriously screw the Wii fit board and trainer.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to listen to someone that says my work looks like shit. It's insulting and hurtful. I ask for critique and encouragement, not "this is boring and looks like shit."

If you don't like that I drew Frederick as a Wii Fit trainer, that's all fine, but there is no need to insult my work because of it.

Also, that's not a bun, that's the strands of hair that loop over top of Frederick's head. Look at his official art and you'll know what I'm talking about.

if your work looked like shit id say this looks like shit but I'm not. I'm saying that its boring but structurally its fine. i have personal preferences against the Wii fit but i have no problems with you using it in your art and the three strands of hair there seriously look like a bun of sorts to me. i was just pointing out what i thought was wrong and suggesting some things that i thought might help. well im on the subject again Frederick looks too happy to me it seems out of character. at least in my opinion.

if your going to take offense like this when I'm being nice and gentle in my thoughts then i seriously think you need to learn to have a thicker skin.

You have a strange definition of "nice and gentle" then. Because I do not see at all how "your art is boring and the coloring looks like shit" is "nice and gentle."

I see no reason why Frederick should look unhappy about training a pupil.

Yes that was me being nice well delivering my opinion. i understand that if i deliverd my opinion rather bluntly but i do that because i expect people to be able to handle it like mature adults. however if you are going to freak out like this every time someone say's something negative about your work than i have to either not comment on you'r work, talk down to you as if you were a child, or your going to have to become more mature.

though your probably going to freak out to this as well so i dont even know why im bothering.

as for fredrick his smile seems geniune and nof very cold witch awakining emphasis about him when it comes to training pepole.

I don't freak out every time. And nobody has to talk to me as if I'm a child. Because I do not want to be treated like a child. And that's because I'm not a child. I still don't understand why I should listen to someone that outright says my work looks like shit. If you had said "the coloring could use some more work" or something a long the lines of that, I wouldn't have "freaked out." It's not sugarcoating the truth, but it isn't being rude either.

As for Frederick, he's not always cold. But maybe he could stand to look a little less happy. I don't know how to draw an open mouth without it smiling, but I guess this is the time to figure it out.

Edited by Anacybele