Are there any units that in Hard mode...

Elieson

Don't require resources (i.e., forges, additional skills taken from other units, statboosters, shittons of BEXP)

Like, units that are actually competant as is for the majority of their availability.

I assume the Laguz Royals are disregarded.

Off the top of my head... Volug and Ike. Though Ike may need a speedwing if you're looking to get Lehran. Janaff and Ulki are pretty good as is too.

From what i can remember Titania, Haar, Volug, Sothe, the hawks, and Ike were units that didn't need resources. they were great on their own, but i could be wrong because i haven't played FE10 in so long

Titania and Haar are fine without it, but they really like a speedwing.

Sothe, Volug and the Hawks are (I think) the only units that don't require resources.

Ike, Haar (although he likes a Speedwing and a Talisman, but doesn't necessarily need), Janaff, Ulki, Shinon (possibly debatable but I find he's extremely useful and can hold his own from as soon as he is available), Elincia (when she's actually available...sucks in 2-P though when all she has is a Slim Sword).

I guess Titania would count but by 4-4 her piss-poor HP and defences catch up with her, and she needs boosting items to be reliable.

Unsure about Sothe/Volug. I've always found them to be too fragile after Part 1 (even if Volug removes Halfshift), so hardly the majority of the game. Sothe with PoR transfer data is better, though...I think? I can't remember, it's been too many playthroughs since I last used him (not a fan).

Sothe is fine without transfers but if he can get them, then that's more power to him. Transfers or not, Sothe falls behind in part 3 and never really catches up, and with a late forced promotion, he's not very good as a combat unit by part 4. I personally think Volug can be a little lacking without resolve, but becomes AMAZING with resolve and no one uses it better than he does in the Dawn Brigade.

Elincia is fine after she gets the Amiti, Haar is great, the hawks are both very good, Ike, and Titania all do well. Shinon can't EP very well but otherwise has a great PP, especially with a small investment into buying a Silencer for him (unless you really want to wait for the free one). Gatrie is unfortunately stuck in a crappy class for long term use, but in part 3 he is really handy and doesn't really require anything. And as a no-brainer, the royals are all amazing and cruise-control through everything.

every unit wants some kind of resources. The only time you don't want resources is when you can OHKO everything and take 0 damage in return and have infinite move.

the main thing is what minimum level of performance do you want out of your team. For example, if 2HKOing everything and never dying is what you want, "base" Gatrie is perfectly fine, but if you want one rounding and good move, then Gatrie needs a master crown and celerity.

Edited by Progenitus

every unit wants some kind of resources. The only time you don't want resources is when you can OHKO everything and take 0 damage in return and have infinite move.

the main thing is what minimum level of performance do you want out of your team. For example, if 2HKOing everything and never dying is what you want, "base" Gatrie is perfectly fine, but if you want one rounding and good move, then Gatrie needs a master crown and celerity.

Well I'm just trying to think. I can beat FE7:HHM using zero statboosters, and FE8, the only time I use resources is to boost Warp range (unless Drafting of course).

I have played this on Easy & Normal (my game freezes when units promote from 3-X, onward though), so I haven't beaten it or seen royals in action.

I want to attempt this game on Hard mode, without using BEXP or Statboosters or additional skills yanked from others, and I'd like to know just how much of a headache I'm gonna have with the...what, 6~7 units that can perform decently without them. I already know crap like Meg, Fiona, and Makalov will be in the drain, and I'm pretty sure units like Tormod, Calill, and Sigrun will as well.

Does that answer your question smasheroo?

What? If you're just trying to beat it there are a ton of units that will perform fine, resources or no. If you're trying to do it in any sort of speedy fashion there are very few units that perform well without extra help.

For Part 1 use Nolan and Jill. They grow good enough o thier own and start high enough that boosters or bexp are not needed to catch up or anything.

Volug is great too but shouldn't steal too much exp. He can get some strike rank in part 1 and then resolve thoughout part 3 (unless skillsare also a resource (he'll be fine without resolve but not gr8))

Part 2 is just a Haar, Geoffrey and Elincia stomp. Kieran is okay too (poleaxe to 1-shot the door in 2-3) Geoffrey falls off after 3-9 but he's okay to use untill then.

In Part 3 you can just use Ike, Titania, Shinon and Haar. The Hawks join too and are pretty foolproof.

Tauroneo is a great addition to the DB team. You can instacrown him (unless promotion items are also a resource)

Part 4 gains access to the royals and lions. Yeah they pretty much rape face.

For Part 1 use Nolan and Jill. They grow good enough o thier own and start high enough that boosters or bexp are not needed to catch up or anything.

Volug is great too but shouldn't steal too much exp. He can get some strike rank in part 1 and then resolve thoughout part 3 (unless skillsare also a resource (he'll be fine without resolve but not gr8))

Jill has poor base stats. It is not particularly rewarding to use her without any resources on Hard Mode. Nolan, Sothe, Volug, and Zihark are the DB units to use if you don't want to expend any resources (with additional chip and healing from others, of course - and modest use of the God Units).

Hmm. So royals, Titania, Ike for upper top tier noresources (crown may be used), Sothe, Volug, Nolan and Haar for mid top tier, and Jill, Zihark, Tauroneo and Black Knight for lower top tier.

Elincia, Kieran, Gatrie and Shinon for mid

And all those other units for meh tier.

Sound about right?

Hmm, realistically:

Part 1:

Sothe, Voulg, Zihark, Rafiel, BK, Naliah and Big T are all characters that can be used instantly with little to no resources required

Part 2:

Elinicia, Haar, Geoffrey and Kieran (short term) are all useable out the gate and stay that way until they join the GMs

Part 3:

Ike, Titania, Shinion, Gatrie and later Haar, Ulki and Janaff all provide very good units that 1-3HKO most opponents and just with CEXP will maintain themselves well enough to keep up that average with little maintenance.

Part 4:

The various "royals" given to you, Ike, Elincia, Titania, Shinion, Gatrie, Haar, Ulki, Janaff, Skrimir, Voulg (maybe if S/SS weapon rank), Zihark (very doubtful without an A support) and filler units such as Stefan, Volke, Renning etc

Endgame:

Royals, Ike, Elinica, Titania/Haar/Gatrie, Shinion, Ulki, Janaff, Skrimir and potentially the fillers if they have higher stats than the units you have used thus far, which given just CEXP, no forges, new skills or stat boosters might be possible.

If we're speaking specifically about Parts, then Muarim for Part 1 also. He's pretty invincible and can one-shot most anything. Doesn't count for Part 4, though.

Zihark is also Part 1-only. Becomes pretty unreliable in Part 3 due to shite defences and unreliable dodge even with A level Volug support.

Edited by Dr. Silent