Fe10 Balancing attempt! [Subject #3 - Bastian]

Vicious Sal

Okay, here's the deal:

Since I started on Fe10 RR (which currently makes like no progress at all), I started thinking about how people always bash Meg, Fiona and hate that Vika is gone for like the entire game. SO! I'm going to focus some of my efforts that are leftover after work & study into a balancing attempt. And here is where i need help. Since this is not something I plan on doing for myself, but also for people who like drafts, or who like characters that have no play time etc, I cannot adjust everything as I see fit.

So, please name as many things as you can that you want altered in this game, gameplay & character wise, story I cannot alter, so no script changes guys.

Examples:

- Buffing Fiona & Meg
- Tormod & Co arrive in 3-4 or w/e
- indoor penalties for mounted units is only 1 instead of 2.
- Laguz earn EXP a bit quicker
- Gareth & Nasir start with S strike

Ok, With the list pretty much completed as far as characters go, I would like to start discussing characters and the changes they might need. I have an excel file attached to this post and go down the list one by one. Once we're done discussing Aran we'll move on to Astrid and so forth. I don't want discussion of characters through one another, otherwise I'll lose track and start making mistakes. Without further ado, check the last post, and start discussing Aran!

https://www.dropbox....e10Balance.xlsx

Edited by Vicious Sal

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Naesala having SS Strike would be cool, and maybe Kurth (and Ena if she isn't all ready) having S rank Strikes could be good. Laguz being able to equip Discipline, if that's possible, would be really nice.

how about removing caps so units like meg can be amazing

giving fiona more play time, you could do something like have her be an envoy to crimea and be in part 2 then return to deain for part three though i dont think it is possible

make archers have crossbow access and give them the sniper animation and have

bowguns be in part 1 and make leo start with 1

make wind swords forge able its a bit unfair that sword cant have forged range weapons

buff part 4 units as they are now they arent to awsome

give oscar an advantage over titania like having 34 spd cap

make mages have speed caps that arent lame

have pelleas be avialible in a part 1 map like the one with the prisoner where he defies izuka

though i dont know that all that is possible

Edited by Cyron

*Buff staff exp and/or Laura's base level

*Magic users need better caps

*Rhys and Sanaki need SPEED

*Give Micaiah an authority star or two

*Increase Fiona, Meg, Astrid, Lethe, Lyre, Kyza, Pelleas base stats and levels

*Lucia more playtime

*Tormod's crew more playtime

*Make Killer Weapons useful

*Baselard could use some buff

*Ilyana need autoleveling when she joins GMs

Edited by Yarhar

Mages to not be complete shit in Hard Mode.

More overall character balance.

Haar nerf.

Playable Veyona.

Mist Fiona Meg Kyza Lyre Lethe Pelleas buffs.

Rolf's base level and bases a bit higher.

More spd growth on Micaiah, maybe better bases too.

Fiona playable in 1-8.

Indoor mount penalty to be 0 :P.

Fiona buffs.

Vika Tormod Muarim playable sooner.

Fiona buffs.

Swamps less OP against poor mounts.

Fiona buffs.

More Fiona buffs.

WTA, map affinity and toggle range on in HM.

Buff HM Marcia.

Lucia in 3-9

Mist can use magic when promoted

Maybe make Meg able to join the GM's if Brom talks to her in one of those chapters or something

Make Fiona a bow knight, since you only have Astrid and you have 3 lance knights otherwise

I'd only change a few things.

Make the game longer so units have more playability time and you can actually promote the DB to third tier classes (I've never managed this because you just can't use them enough. This isn't counting Micaiah and Sothe, obviously). Also, make Tormod and co. reappear earlier than part 4. >_>

Lastly, change up the ending so there are more pairing options (like IkexElincia or RolfxMist), and other endings don't suck butt (like Ike's and Gatrie's endings).

Oh, I'd also change the support system back to PoR's.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't understand how it'd be possible to break them, considering the fact that it won't affect any of the Parts that actually matter.

Part 1: Volug has halfshift, Nailah is perma-wolf.

Part 2: You only get to use a few laguz and none of them are gamebreaking.

Part 3: Ike + Crew

Part 4: You already get a bunch of royals who aren't affected by transformation gauges.

And in the end, it's always your choice if you wish to use them at all.

All for alteration of laguz meters so they don't decrease so drastically.

They don't decrease drastically. I have had Janaff, Ulki and Tibarn kill almost everything in 4-2 before without ever untransforming, all in four turns. Most players don't play that fast, and they use more units, so they should have far less difficulty keeping their laguz transformed.

They don't decrease drastically. I have had Janaff, Ulki and Tibarn kill almost everything in 4-2 before without ever untransforming, all in four turns. Most players don't play that fast, and they use more units, so they should have far less difficulty keeping their laguz transformed.

Some people wish to solo maps/game with laguz, why not make their lives easier.

Oh, and I just noticed you used Tibarn's crew as examples. They aren't exactly the low-tier laguz I was talking about that needed this change and remain relatively unaffected by the gauge to begin with.

Edited by Eltoshen

Alright.. big list time.

Improve Leo's speed growth. Bump it up to 45%, maybe at the expense of -5% to his skill and luck growths.

Increase Laura's base level by 5, with bases raised accordingly. Give her C staves. The DBs already get one paragon scroll, but Laura with innate paragon would help her keep up.

Increase Ilyana's speed growth.

Increase Meg's base level to 7. Improve all her bases accordingly, with an extra +2 to her HP and defence. Improve her tier 2 speed cap to 24.

Increase Fiona to a level 1 lance paladin, with bases raised accordingly. Tack on an extra +2 to every single one of her stats. Give her A rank lances. She might actually be useful now!

Increase Zihark's strength growth to 45%.

Have Tormod and friends reappear in part 3 to fight for the Greil Mercs. Because of the laguz, I have a hard time seeing them be able to join Micaiah's side.

In part 2, raise Geoffrey and Lucia to level 1 third tier. Raise the levels of all the CRKs by 3-4, with their bases raised accordingly, Haar excluded. Make the enemies in part 2 tougher to compensate for level increases.

With Nephenee buffed, ensure Nephenee has 18 strength to carry the steel greatlance without penalty. Or change her weapon to a steel lance/iron greatlance.

Lethe especially should have her strength buffed to 12.

In 2-P, give Elincia a silver sword instead of a slim sword. Have Haar appear earlier. Make all the dragon riders stronger (all premotes?) to make up for adjusted levels and weapons.

Increase Mist's strength base to 15. Improve her strength growth to 40%. Increase her tier 2 strength cap to 22. Raise her tier 3 strength cap to 32. She is now semi-capable of combat.

Improve Soren's speed growth.

Improve Rhys' speed growth. Increase his tier 2 magic cap to 28.

Increase Kyza and Lyre's levels by 5 each. Increase Lyre's base strength to 12. Increase Kyza's base strength to 14.

Give Ranulf S strike when he joins. Increase his level to 28, with appropriate bases.

Improve Tanith's HP to 39, and 25 speed. Improve Sigrun's base strength to 21, 26 speed, and 40 HP. Improve the falcoknight HP cap to 45.

Increase Sanaki's base HP to 34, increase her base strength to 9.

Set Pelleas as a level 1 Arch Sage (Dark) with his normal leveled bases. Increase his speed cap to 34.

All playable dragons should have SS strike when they join. Kurth and Ena should have their levels bumped up to 26 and 28, respectively. Kurthnaga should begin with 65 base HP. Ena's speed cap should be bumped up to 15. Gareth and Nasir's speed cap should also be 15, with their base speed increased so wisps will not double them.

And some general changes:

Change the laguz gauge during enemy phase to only decrease by 1 per combat round, no matter the type of laguz. Cats only lose 3 gauge when attacking on player phase. If you deal damage while untransformed, gain gauge just like if no damage was dealt (or maybe half?). Reduce the exp penalty laguz units suffer when fighting in their transformed state. The raven gauge should be equal to the cat gauge, because of their similarities as units. Wolves should share gauge types with hawks and tigers. Overall, the gauge should be easier to manage.

Gold and Silver Knight should have their speed increased to beat the dragonlord caps, giving the paladins a little more worth. Silver Knight (M) should have 34 speed and Silver Knight (F) should have 36 speed. Gold Knight (M) could cap speed at 33, and Gold Knight (F) at 35. Overall the Paladins, Seraph Knights, and Dragonlords will now have more balanced caps to one another, instead of paladin variations overall lacking in comparison.

Marshalls, Saints and Archsages should have 7 mov in their tier 3, just like other foot units. Every variation of these classes should at least be at 32 speed.

Saint caps should be more comparable to Light Priestess instead of being entirely outclassed.

32 + White Tide should become the new benchmark speed for HM wisps. It evens out considerations for endgame. Units with 36+ speed will be able to double without white tide, which will allow more classes to be more independent of the white tide buff, while also making low tier Marshalls and Sages more competitive for endgame slots. It makes the endgame easier, but now it's just making every single character more viable. To regain some difficulty, they could increase enemy variety and density in the endgame chapters, or make the enemies hit harder and more accurately, giving some more value to def/res.

Edited by Samias

Not forced Sothe for endgame, or make his death not result in a game over if it happens before endgame.

More playtime for Lucia.

Dragons vulnerable to arrows.

Better supports - maybe have fans submit in custom supports to save time.

EDIT: Make magic users more useful, better caps.

No forced units for endgame except for Ike, Michaiah, and Elincia, because they are the three leaders.

Edited by HongLei

Some people wish to solo maps/game with laguz, why not make their lives easier.

Oh, and I just noticed you used Tibarn's crew as examples. They aren't exactly the low-tier laguz I was talking about that needed this change and remain relatively unaffected by the gauge to begin with.

Catering to soloers is not the way to balance a game.

Increase Mist's strength base to 15. Improve her strength growth to 40%. Increase her tier 2 strength cap to 22. Raise her tier 3 strength cap to 32. She is now semi-capable of combat.

Mist really just needs Florete to be magic-based. Otherwise she's Mia with staves and a horse on promotion. I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to be semi-capable of physical combat, so let's keep it that way.

Not forced Sothe for endgame, or make his death not result in a game over if it happens before endgame.

This only makes any sense for 4-3.

No forced units for endgame except for Ike, Michaiah, and Elincia, because they are the three leaders.

Tibarn is the leader of the Hawk group, not Elincia. If you want to minimize the forced-to-Endgame units, it needs to be just Micaiah and Ike, though Kurthnaga and Sanaki are very important to the plots in 4-E-3 and 4-E-4, respectively.

Balance is one thing, but it should still adhere to what's already set in stone in the plot. Changing things slightly so Tormod and co. can appear sooner is fine (is there even anything to really change for that?), but completely re-writing Endgame so a few units aren't forced to accompany you is not. It's not like they have to be deployed, anyway. If you just want to be able to choose more units for Endgame, you can just add more slots (I, personally, think it's fine as-is).

Laguz transform metres don't decrease in battle, only after the turn ends, like in PoR. Janaff and Ulki want this especially.

As Anouleth said, Laguz meters do decrease from battle in PoR.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire