FE2, forgotten?

Vorena

For as long as I know, FE2 never gets discussed much and I do not quite understand why. I would normally contribute it to being an older game that people do not have access to, but that's sort of a lie when there is so much regular discussion of FE3-FE6 which should be equally difficult to get. FE1 not being mentioned much make sense when there are basically 2 remakes of it in the form of FE3 and FE11 which both include the better FE mechanics for gameplay. Maybe it was the graphics? But, I didn't think graphics were that much of a turn-off for people. When it comes to a story elements, well... everyone on this site seems to complain about FE having bad plots and its all about the gameplay. And speaking of which, FE2 is sort of the like the most unique hybrid out of all the games FE games and for that fact alone I am surprised people do not simply try it out more to deviate from the standard FE formula a little bit.

Hell, the few times I recall seeing any sort of talk for this game, its often times confused with naming conventions for each character. Pretty much all the other FE games which do not have English equivalents at least have well agreed upon names that people refer too.

Edited by Eryth

It isn't very often talked about that's for sure. I haven't tried it out myself yet but this post here may get me to give it a shot, with all you said.

Props Eryth, and I'm sure Strider will post here sometime because of his love of fe2 lol

Well, FE2 is probably my 2nd-3rd favorite Fire Emblem due to its difficulty (If you don't level grind)

I don't talk about it much, because simply put, it's underrated and most people I know/seen like to do the villager stat grinding trick and abuse the hell out of the Pegasus knights. It's beatable without the Pegasus knights (Believe me, only Est was alive at 14/2) and you don't need everyone to be god units (Only Matildia, Alm and Saber were my best units) For me, it's a casual, fun game and it has one of my favorite tracks which is Milas Divine protection and it's overall a very fun game.

Well, about the plot... First time I played the plot wasn't translated in battle... There was also the problem with Excalibur/Ragnarok...

I changed computer and lost all my save files so I decided to play it again, but dropped (3 years ago at least...).

It shows it ages, for sure. No unique ennemies (Sonia/Deen who are basic ennemies when you fight them...), no RES Growth, and pretty low growth everything else (the best grow rate is 55, and between 10 and 50 for the others...)

The Random encounters are also pretty annoying.

I like this game and think it needs more love, but I can understand why it may not sounds attractive to most.

I really would advice people to give it a try. It has cool 8-bit music, and an interesting and unusual gameplay. It also have a lot of elements added to future titles (world map, villager, but also 3 Tiers like in FE10, I think...).

There's also the fact that it's close to Sacred Stones, who was not really appreciated at the times, if I remember correctly.

I will called it a rough diamond.

Two posts referring to me before I even read the topic 8]

FE2 is my favorite in the series because I enjoy how it deviates from the average Fire Emblem. Unique magic system, unlimited use items but only 1 at a time, and a terrible sense of balance. It's not too hard for me to see why it doesn't see a lot of love though. It really shows its age with how slow it is and the graphics are pretty awful. Units don't really vary between each other within a class once you start promoting (unless you grind I guess but then your stats don't matter much anyway) and some people don't like the balance. Bowy or however people spell it now is a good example because he joins with May who beats him at basically everything. It has a few unique challenges though, some of the Chapter 3 maps can really take you off guard if you're unprepared. Geyse wrecked me on my own first playthrough.

It'd really be better off with a remake. Awakening brought back the world map and monsters, so maybe FE14!

(i know it's unlikely, shut up i can dream)

I love FE2. The main issue is it's age. Fire Emblem hadn't really smoothed out it's edges until FE4, if not FE6, which is why those are the far more popular titles. Also, because it was on the NES, the story isn't super involved and it moves rather slowly. I think a remake would be awesome, if they just incorporate some simple ideas like unique bosses and having storyline additions (or at least character development) every chapter.

Things I loved about FE2:

The Item mechanic. Some of the items were pretty OP, but I really enjoyed the rings and the armors. I thought it was pretty balanced because you couldn't equip a weapon and an armor, but if this was remade, I'd like to see you be able to have both.

Villagers. I really liked starting with a team and being able to mold it how you wanted. I've always loved the idea of Trainees, but Amelia sucks and Ewan comes way too late. Getting them first chapter is just awesome.

World Map. Sure, skirmishes get out of hand, but I enjoy being able to go back to villages. FE2 didn't really utilize this for anything other than skirmishes and promotion, but I've always liked a map.

Bows. At least them being able to shoot from 1 range, but also being pretty inaccurate (but then, so was everything in that game. I think a remake could balance them more but keep the 1 range.

I may think of more later.

Oh, and I'm still working on that draft off and on. I'm just past the Dragon's Den. When I finish I'll post a review of things that went well and things that needed changing.

After all this it seems like it a bit of everything that bogs the game down. Mechanics, story, gameplay, age, etc. But even so, I still see drafts for FE1 from time to time and FE3 far more than FE2 and far more discussion about it compared to FE2. So, FE2 really seems like the least played FE game.

I doubt Nintendo would go for a remake after having a series of remakes in a row. If anything, I bet it might be possible to hack FESS into an FE2 equivalent somehow.

And yes dondon (what's with the name?) I am not died yet. Only, I have more free time now that finals are nearing an end.

Edited by Eryth

There's just not much to it. Use good characters and win. If you are doing a grindless run, then just limit yourself to only a few characters each route so your strong guys get enough level ups. After that, mindless charging with your characters/warping Alm onto a healing tile with a bow can probably win like 90% of chapters. Yawn.

Still, I'd say it's more popular than FE1, which has been obsoleted multiple times.

I think the guys above me have said most of what needs saying, chiefly that it hasn't aged well. I will add, though, that equally old and unpolished FE1 and FE3 a) are loved in Japan and b) now have remakes, making their stories and cast more accessible. Also, Gaiden has fallen foul of what TvTropes calls Early Instalment Weirdness (sorta speaks for itself) and since humans are naturally disinclined to the strange and alien, not many people are keen to try it. Which is a shame because I think it's pretty good (I've played it), it has some interesting gameplay and story ideas and really needs a remake.

Except a lot of ideas were taken for Sacred Sword and Awakening (World Map, Villager/Tranees, monsters...)

It definitely needs a remake...

Giving charcters Absurdly hard cap that are rarely attained... Making Magic absolutely overpowered... Yes, balance is really an issue.

I think it's rather easy to see why the game keeps on being omitted so often. It is an oddball to the series, kind of like The Adventure Of Link is for the Zelda series. It clearly is a Fire Emblem game, but in so many ways it isn't.

It's also the oldest game that offers no alternative (as in remake), resulting in what plagues Mother 1 (or EarthBound Zero) as well; it just isn't as accessible as the other games. I myself had problems deciding if it would give this a try or not, as it's hard for me to play an 8 bit game for a longer time. I usually turn these off after some 30 minutes playing.

I gave it a try in the end though, and I do enjoy it. I'm just at the beginning of Chapter 3 though. I really think that it deserves more attention than it gets, but, as I said, it's not really hard to see why it does not.

Gaiden is tedious and unrewarding. I've often criticized the poorly constructed expanses that constitute Geneology's maps, and this might be the only game in the series where that problem is even more pronounced. It's very easily the worst game in the series and probably the only one that's truly bad.

While I haven't played the game myself, I believe there will be more interest once someone starts a hacking project of it. I don't see the game being remade by IS. Fe2 is the awkard middle sibling

Edited by Evalcin

Also, may I make a point about the balancing issue?

Not complaining about the difficulty, but the shamans tend to get out of hand when the screen is covered with Dracos and Gargoyles and without dear or at least 2 Falcoknights, it does get too tedious to clear them all without a magic unit dying.

Maybe Alm and Cellica being DLC will revitalize the game? It might bring interest for Americans and Europeans. I know Cellica is my favorite female lord and I was super excited to see her making an appearance. I made her on Soul Calibur V and she's my favorite character to use online.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's rather easy to see why the game keeps on being omitted so often. It is an oddball to the series, kind of like The Adventure Of Link is for the Zelda series. It clearly is a Fire Emblem game, but in so many ways it isn't.

And yet, despite being "bad" according to many, it still sold well: just like The Adventure of Link.