Awake! 2/4 Release Celebration Spriting Comp

Lenh

Something extra celebratory for the US release of Awakening. :)

Contest Theme:

Sprite a character from your choice of any of the Fire Emblem games, including Awakening. Reinventing the character design (much like how FE3DS is presenting their cameo characters) is a plus, but not a necessity~

Categories:

- Mug/Portrat

- Battle Sprite

- Mapping (reinvent/remap a map in GBA style from your choice of any FE game/chapter.)

[spoiler=Rules]

Format Requirements:

- Mug/BS Designs must target either SNES(256x224) or GBA(240x160) display dimensions. Maximum image size is 256x224.

- The color limit for mugs and battle sprites is 23+transparency. The color limit for maps is 256.

- Maximum map size is 36x36 tiles (576x576px). Map units are allowed (unit size should not exceed 32x32px (2x2 tiles)).

- If you submit a sprite that does not follow one of the traditional FE1-8 formats, it is acceptable to provide a mockup demonstrating its usability for the screen size you have targeted. The mockup will be displayed alongside your standalone sprite.

- No animation.

Rules:

- Follow the requirements above.

- No stealing, no shameless borrowing of pieces, have fun, etc.

- If splicing/modding, only resources from Fire Emblem games 1 through 8 and may be used for this purpose.

- Only one submission per participant per category.

Submission Guidelines:

To submit an entry, send me (Lenh) a PM with the following Subject title format:

FE:AC! – Category Name – Subject

where 'Category Name' is either 'Mug', 'Battle', or 'Map', and 'Subject' is the name of the character/source you are using. Put your submission in the PM. I will send a response when I receive it. Resubmissions will be handled on a case by case basis, and only minor edits will be allowed.

All submissions will be revealed in a single post when voting opens and the ballot is made available. The character/source will be used as the identifier. If multiple entries based on a single subject exist, they will be suffixed with A, B, C...etc.

[spoiler=Contest Info]

Winner Selection:

- A Borda count will be used to determine the winner, done via PM. For each category, voters will rank all entries from greatest to least preference, and comment on their reasons for selecting each of their top choices. Voter names will be recorded and displayed on the main post as I receive them. I will then aggregate all the votes and the one with the highest number of points for that category wins.

A final post for the contest will be made with raffle winners, entry rankings, collected comments, and all that fun stuff on Jan 27th~ I will get in contact with the winners at that time to complete the prize giving.

Timeline:

- Dec 16, 2012->Jan 19, 2012 : Contest Open for Submissions

- Jan 21 -> 25 : Secret Voting Time

- Jan 27 : Results, Random Raffle

Prizes!:

-1st place from each category will win a copy of Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS. Woo!

-Non-winners will be placed into a lottery pool and two will be selected to each win a copy of the game. One draw will include all participants; one will include 'ranked' participants (up to my discretion based on submission count, most likely top 10 :<...). I will take suggestions for how to draw the raffle, and perform something appropriate when the time comes.

-I plan on using Amazon wishlists to send prizes to the winners. Basic put in your wishlist->send me the link->I order it for you with 1-day/releaseDate shipping, hoping that it makes it to you as close to the release date as possible. (If anyone is interested in participating and is outside the US, I can make an effort to do international shipping or offer a similar prize for the EU edition.)

Errata/Edits:

- 12/17 : Rule edits (taking out excess info within Format Requirements).

- 12/20-12/21: Max map dimensions defined. Map units allowed in Map category.

- 12/22: Defined that mockups are allowed in Battle Sprite category. Revoked old statement that BGs were not allowed in that category (they are now allowed).

- 12/22: Clarified that keeping submissions to the contest private during submission time is not required (up to the author).

Edited by Lenh

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Results:

Portraits:

#1. jealousy_re_idenn_01.png Idoun by jealousy - Avg Score 1.6

#2. Ponih_patty-fe4.png Patty by Ponih - Avg Score 3.7

#3. Lumi_FE4Gen2Lakche.png Lakche by Lumi - Avg Score 4.0

#4. AstraLunaSol_sigurd.png Sigurd by AstraLunaSol - Avg Score 4.5

#5. bwdYeti_Jagen_zps2d499271.gif Jagen by BwdYeti - Avg Score 6.0

#6. minibladez_Largo2_zps9a80e273.png Largo by minibladez - Avg Score 6.2

#7. TheMerc_Amalda_zps64fb7ae7.gif Amalda by The Merc - Avg Score 6.3

#8.AthenaWyrm_Lilina_43xxHV3.pngLilina by AthenaWyrm - Avg Score 6.6

#9. seph1212_MARIADONE.gif Maria by Seph1212 - Avg Score 8.3

#10. Kon_Tormod_pEMRn.gif Tormod by Kon - Avg Score 9.4

#11. Mariah_the_magician_Vika_zpsc487c1ab.pngVika by Mariah the Magician - Avg Score 9.6

#12. ubelEngel_lyndis.png Lyndis by Ubel Engel - Avg Score 12.0

Battle Sprites:

#1. BwdYeti_Medeus_zpsff131bfe.png Medeus by BwdYeti - Avg Score 1.3

#2. kitsu_doma.pngDoma by Kitsu - Avg Score 2.6

#2. eCut_Heath.pngHeath by eCut - Avg Score 2.6

#4. lumi_Velvet_TaguelForm_FE13.png Velvet by Lumi - Avg Score 4.2

#5. j00_panneb.gif Velvet by j00 - Avg Score 4.3

#6. ubelEngel_idoun.png Idoun by Ubel Engel - Avg Score 6.0

Maps:

#1. FE1 - Chapter 22 map by BwdYeti - Avg Score 1.3

bwdYeti_FE1Ch22Units_zpsb795e414.png

#2. FE12 - Chapter 20 map by Kitty of Time - Avg Score 1.7

KittyOfTime_FE12Ch20.png

Le Metrics: Portraits / Battle Sprites / Maps

Raffle Winners!:

Kon and eCut

Edited by Lenh

That's what the raffle is for, but in the same I want to discourage low-effort submissions.

I'll probably revise it so one draw is with all entrants, the other is with ranked entrants, and toss the spam rule.

Something extra celebratory for the US release of Awakening. :)

Contest Theme:

Sprite a character from your choice of any of the Fire Emblem games, including Awakening. Reinventing the character design (much like how FE3DS is presenting their cameo characters) is a plus, but not a necessity~

Categories:

- Mug/Portrat

- Battle Sprite

- ??? (Open to suggestions.)

well, this fucking blows

WELP

*goes back to mapping in the shadows*

Mark me down as the first entry!

Entry_zpsaad2d315.png

Now watch me win this thing! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I think that there should be a way to give less experienced spriters a chance to win though.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've got no experience whatsoever. I changed colors and a few pixels, chalk it up as a redesign!

Also everyone should do FE1 stuff so you can attempt to win a contest and submit to FE1A at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone and shit. YEAH!

I'mma get shot, aren't I?

Edited by Arch

Holiday themed shit is boring.

put in a music category and ill finally be assed to finish my fe13 midi

Edited by Agro

Wait, you're gonna buy and give away 5 copies of Awakening? That's... really kind of you to just give away video games to people you probably have not or ever will see face-to-face.

Might do a mug since I'm already working on something for FE1A

Wait, you're gonna buy and give away 5 copies of Awakening? That's... really kind of you to just give away video games to people you probably have not or ever will see face-to-face.

Might do a mug since I'm already working on something for FE1A

You'll have to beat me, fuzz! Are you up to the challenge?

Categories:

- Mug/Portrat

- Battle Sprite

- Mapping (reinvent/remap a map from your choice of any FE game)

Rules:

- The usual sprite contest rules apply: no stealing, no shameless borrowing of pieces, have fun, etc.

- Keep image sizes under 320x240

- Winners will be determined by popular vote. If vote rigging happens, I will ask for impartial parties to judge based on quality/originality.

- Only one submission per participant per category. Resubmissions are okay up to the deadline, but at your own risk.

I hope you have a good idea for how to identify this, because it's likely to happen with prizes at stake. Friends are just going to vote for eachother and trade votes.

If I'm really luck and my mother and/or brother are kind enough, I might be able to join this. And you don't have to worry about vote rigging with me 'cause I have no friends here (well, aside from Might Gaine, but he doesn't visit the sprite board).

Yeah, it doesn't chink my budget much, so Merry Christmas all~ ^^

Mew: I'll festive up an entry post banner probably during the weekend, although I'm still up for a separate holiday event. You could always admire the box art if you won a copy, too~

Arch: I will fold up your name really tiny, and hope it stays at the bottom of the hat. (But seriously yes you still get equal chance with everyone else, submitting before contest was open aside.) ;P

~ Thanks Kon, and hope you can participate.

---

In regards to the winner selection it seems then I probably will have to ask for some impartial judges. Unfortunately that means I'll have to ask for volunteers and advice on who good choices are, otherwise I'll just ask around and hope they aren't corrupted and/or choose friends of my own (who will probably themselves remain anon, although their voting decisions will not be).