New Thracia 776 translation

js394

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is totally awesome.

Just a quick question though, I'm not sure if this is relevant to what you're doing, but are you going to be doing anything about the gibberish translations on character screens, item descriptions, etc?

Yes, that is one of my goals.

Here's some images (I only need the armorer's dialogue, not the items)

gkwbk.png

51fo3.png

qvbqf.png

okay i've got this; this is pretty rudimentary even if not really literal, and could probably do with being polished later on, but w/e

Image 1

"Welcome to the armory.

I buy and sell many things."

(Buy) (Sell)

Image 2

"What would you like to sell?"

Image 3

"What would you like to buy?"

So, how are we tackling the name of the Mage Knight you recruit if Olwen is dead or not recruited?

I ask since the kana "イリオス" is that of Ilios, also known as Troy. And with how Karin says how Mr. Mage Knight has a "noble" sounding name, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad move to call him something that makes to reference to Troy more obvious to English speakers.

Assuming it is a reference though.

Edited by The Void

So, how are we tackling the name of the Mage Knight you recruit if Olwen is dead or not recruited?

I ask since the kana "イリオス" is that of Ilios, also known as Troy. And with how Karin says how Mr. Mage Knight has a "noble" sounding name, I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad move to call him something that makes to reference to Troy more obvious to English speakers.

Assuming it is a reference though.

I think just Troy would be good. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

There was a lot of debate about the guy's name in a previous topic, as it wasn't agreed on that "Ilios" was even intended. "Helios" was also suggested, along with the usual thought that mythological references are sometimes corrupted like Barhara or Marth, and so it should be kept Eyrios.

Personally I think Eyrios is fine because it's distinctive and he's already well known under that name, but it's probably not a big deal in any case.

And I think that the Holy Sword should be changed as Blessed Sword since its part of the Blessed Weapons and doesn't appears in Awakening like the Blessed Lance and Blessed Bow.

Edited by King Marth 64

But, the sword appeared in Fire Emblem Gaiden also.

The "Holy Sword" isn't really consistently the same weapon throughout its three appearances. Linking them together based only on them sharing a generic RPG weapon name seems silly to me.

Edited by Arch

if we're going to talk altering "traditional" character names (ilios is a good idea btw), then let's talk Delmud - that one's always sounded rather awkward for pretty much the same reason as "Siglud"

Dermid y/n

The "Holy Sword" isn't really consistently the same weapon throughout its three appearances. Linking them together based only on them sharing a generic RPG weapon name seems silly to me.

Even the Darkness Sword appears in Gaiden and its completely different than Mareeta used in this game and even the Astra, Sol, and Luna weapons appeared in Gaiden too and they're didn't have any skills existed in that game.

Edited by King Marth 64

if we're going to talk altering "traditional" character names (ilios is a good idea btw), then let's talk Delmud - that one's always sounded rather awkward for pretty much the same reason as "Siglud"

Dermid y/n

This is the figure in Irish mythology that Delmud's name is derived from (at least according to the FEwiki). So let's check out a reputable naming source.

Diarmuid - Behind the Name

This page presents us with a couple variants:

• Dermot
  • Derry
  • Diarmad
  • Dermid
I'm personally a fan of Dermot, but Derry would unleash a Vergil-esque hilarity that I'd love to see.

We could always put these things up to a popular vote...just like how Vergil was voted upon.

Edited by Arch

Even the Darkness Sword appears in Gaiden and its completely different than Mareeta used in this game and even the Astra, Sol, and Luna weapons appeared in Gaiden too and they're didn't have any skills existed in that game.

what does this have to do with renaming the holy sword

EDIT

for what it's worth my support rests on "terumaado"

Edited by CT075

Dermot does sound rather neat, but if we're to go with it may i recommend altering it to "Dermott"? it's silly, but that's the form in which i've near-universally seen the name used in modern english, which admittedly isn't a particularly relevant point for names in medieval fantasy games. i still favour "Dermid" but who cares

what does this have to do with renaming the holy sword

It's just a reminder incase if we go with Blessed Sword. (sorry, I am not good with grammar writing >_>, its just pointing it out incase if we rename the sword)

Edited by King Marth 64

i still don't see how it's related

"we should rename this sword because an unrelated sword with the same name got renamed"

"no they're completely unrelated"

"but there are other swords that appear in different games with the same name!"

King Marth might be wording it badly, but I think I'm with him on this.

If we're using localised names where possible, Holy Sword should be Blessed Sword. Otherwise, what was the point of changing Charisma to Charm, Great Shield to Pavise, etc?

If you're arguing that FE5's Holy Sword is different from FE2's Holy Sword and thus shouldn't be renamed, many identically named items and classes often have different functions between games, so where do we draw the line?

For example, Nosferatu switches between light magic and dark magic all the time and it's being called Nosferatu here and not Resire.