Typography, Assault/Battery Charges and YOU

Aleph

There are things I have read that cause me physical pain to. Processing the (usually terribly wrong) content is incompatible with my (objectively brilliant) brain. I am sure I am not the only one who has this issue.

Subjecting those like me to actual damage to our health and physical torture by presenting such material is effectively ASSAULT, which is a FELONY.

So I'll start a list of such terrible things and remove any excuse anyone has of making such egregious errors. Feel free to contribute.

• "Could of/should of/would of" - Die right now. I'm not asking you, this is not an expression of my desire; this is required for our species to thrive. Die immediately; do not pass go, do not collect 200$.
  • Misspellings like "infinate". You are "definately" doing it wrong. (Infinite and definite are the correct spellings, how did you actually not know that)
  • Incorrect representations of exaggerated enunciation.

Example:

How doooooooooooooo?

Welcome to my shop

Let me cut your mop

Let me shave your crop

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaintily, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaintily...

Hey, yoooooooou!

Don't look so perplexed

Why must you be vexed?

Can't you see you're next?

Yes, you're next, you're soooooooooooo next!

Note that the bolded part is an incorrect representation of the intended emphasis, which is "yoooooooou're so next".

Another incorrect example would be "you'rrrrrrrrrrrre so next".

Mr. Blanc's emphasis is on the sound intended by the letters "o" and "u" in the word "you're". He is not elongating the sound of the r, nor is he drawing out the "o" sound in the word "so". People with my (objectively acceptable) condition who happen to know the tune will read it in their head, get to the end, attempt to parse the conveyed information in tandem with what they know it should be and succumb to the ferocious migraine that will invariably erupt within their brainspace thereafter.

Edited by Solais

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i definately should of not red this thread. i feel infinately dumber as a result.

It had to be done. Now to run and hide before Solais hunts me down and kills me IRL

There are things I have read that cause me physical pain to.

People using "to" when they should have used "too" (and vice versa).

Also, people using "loose" instead of "lose".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• "Could of/should of/would of" - Die right now. I'm not asking you, this is not an expression of my desire; this is required for our species to thrive. Die immediately; do not pass go, do not collect 200$

Couldn't agree more. I hate it when people use incorrect grammar on the Internet, and this is the worst of them all for me to read. :c

• "Could of/should of/would of" - Die right now. I'm not asking you, this is not an expression of my desire; this is required for our species to thrive. Die immediately; do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

The worst part of this is when it happens in literature.

People using "to" when they should have used "too" (and vice versa).

Also, people using "loose" instead of "lose".

That's hardly fair considering my keyboard is a piece of shit. There's a difference between hitting a key and having it not register and intentionally typing an A instead of an I they are on the other fucking side of the keyboard from each other holy shit.

Edit: You fuck, that wasn't a typo anyway. "Physical pain to [read]." The verb was implied. I did not mean "too" as in also, I meant "to" as in the implied infinitive.

If I had meant too then I would have typed "physical pain, too" because commas are a thing and I use them.

Edited by Solais

That's hardly fair considering my keyboard is a piece of shit. There's a difference between hitting a key and having it not register and intentionally typing an A instead of an I they are on the other fucking side of the keyboard from each other holy shit.

A poor workman always blames his tools.

Edit: You fuck, that wasn't a typo anyway. "Physical pain to [read]." The verb was implied.

Because typing the word "read" at the end of your sentence was too much work for you, right?

I had a lot of trouble adjusting to English grammar because it's really inconsistent. I wouldn't mind it so much if it had less irregularities and more consistent rules of pronouncing things, but as it stands it causes me a lot of rage.

I'm a pretty good reader in Chinese, but my reading ability takes a massive nosedive in English. Alas.

You're so immature.

Why don't you go back to China, then?

wow this post just reeks of irony

Okay for real calling somebody immature and then telling somebody else to back to their own country just because they insulted an inanimate thing (a language) just don't make sense, dude