Who are the worst units in this game?

King Marth

I really enjoy making myself use the worst characters in a game

and seeing how they turn out. I'm already using Leonardo and Fiona for sure. Who else should I add to my team?

I'd prefer that they aren't all P4 units though, I'd like some support for mid game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she caps speed and skill really early, and her strength and defense leave a lot to be desired. Also add Heather.

Well, seeing how the bonus EXP works in this game, capping SPD and LUK early is an advantage.

If you decide to invest bonus exp on her, she'll be decent. Obviously, you probably have better places to spend this EXP. Still, IMO she's better than Fiona (the chapters she can take part in is the reason she's soooooo bad. Like, most of them are indoors or in swamps) or Lyre.

Edited by Nobody

Meg caps Spd and Lck quickly, not Skl. Her Skl never caps on average. It looks like a good thing but her 22 Spd cap stops doubling really fast (in NM, btw), so all that 65% growth is essentially wasted, and her Str and Def are tied for her 2nd worst growth so BEXP doesn't prioritize them for a while and it's tough for her to cap anything other than Spd and Lck.

She's not the worst of the bunch, but she's definitely near the bottom of this game.

Volug (okay I'm trolling)

That's more like it.

I guess Lethe would be another good candidate. A bunch of unimpressive stats with a Heaven support connected to a cat transformation gauge.

For the purposes of filling out a team, yes, Lethe, Heather, and Brom could be good choices, but they're not really amongst the worst units in the game. Barring them you'd need to be looking at part 4 units like Vika, Kurthnaga, and Ena.

How has nobody mentioned Tormod's crew yet? They get like 3 chapters in Part 1 of OPness and then come back in Part 4 and suck massively.

EDIT: Someone beat me to Vika but Muarim and Tormod don't fare that much better.

Edited by Irysa

I forgot to include Kyza, Lyre and etc. all the Laguz are pretty awful except the fliers.

Wildheart or not, Volug is really overrated because:

1. He needs to use Grass every other turn

2. No 1-2 range

1-2 is probably more important because enemy phase action is more important than player phase action.

Meg, Lyre, Oliver, Fiona, Astrid... I actually forget she exists, I'm shocked every time she gets recruited... "who's da new girl?" Oh yes, the Kellam of this game ;~;

I agree with Rhys, if you unequip Wildheart Volug isn't THAT bad, but there is other Laguz who are better than him... he's just the semi-hot shirtless dude

Don't the DB fight more 1-range enemies than 2-range enemies?

Well, almost every chapter has more 1 range than 2 range enemies, except 4-E-4 and 5, so...

Volug can't kill as many enemies on player phase and enemy phase and his stats aren't even that great to make up for it.

Apart from Ulki Janaff and the royals all Laguz are really horrible. I'd rank them one tier above Meg and Fiona.

Well, seeing how the bonus EXP works in this game, capping SPD and LUK early is an advantage.

This is entirely not true, in most unit's cases - Meg being one. Cap ramming and then using Bonus EXP is a way of mitigating the damage of having early capped stats in general, not a bonus for it. Think of it this way: If a unit averages more than 300% growths, then on average a BEXP level is worse than a normal level. If they average less than that, then a BEXP level is better. But the latter only really starts happening when units are capping stats and in the case of many Laguz.

However, there's a second twist, which is that BEXP skews levels in odd ways, generally towards your highest growths remaining. For Meg that means after capping SPD and LUK, she really wants BEXP levels because the rest of her growths add up to bad. And BEXP gives her... HP, RES and SKL (in that order of liklihood, with STR/DEF also being not uncommon). That's still pretty bad. Meg has to pick her poison between on average 2.75 stat levels, or 3 stat levels in mostly bad stats. The situation looks better once she caps RES, at which point she often gains STR or DEF, but it's still not good for her overall.

Well, almost every chapter has more 1 range than 2 range enemies, except 4-E-4 and 5, so...

Volug can't kill as many enemies on player phase and enemy phase and his stats aren't even that great to make up for it.

Apart from Ulki Janaff and the royals all Laguz are really horrible. I'd rank them one tier above Meg and Fiona.

I think the reason so many people (including me) find Volug as a good unit is because unlike other laguz, he doesn't waste his growths on luck. So your opinion is wrong

But who on the DB is actually more useful than Volug? Jill and Sothe, combat-wise, and only if you pump Jill full of boosters. Sure, Nolan has 1-2 range, but no forged hand axes so isn't Tarvos better? There are only 1 range enemies in 3-6 and 3-13, so it doesn't matter there. Grassing is a nuisance, but when you are surrounded by chumps it isn't all bad. Saying he sucks is a little harsh for his situation where he has the potential to be a main contributor.

Volug is pretty useful. Without Wildheart, his stats are rock solid, (and with it, he still obliterates in Part 1), and he doesn't need to fight on the first phases of the DB chapters in part 3, making grass not THAT much of an issue. He has an Earth Support too, which makes for a nice combo with Zihark or Nolan.

The real problem is that it's just way easier to trivialise part DB chapters by throwing Jill (with boosters/bexp) into the middle of the enemy. To be quite honest, I wouldn't WANT to try to do their part 3 chapters any other way, they simply take far too long otherwise. If there weren't those mages on 1-E Volug would be an ideal unit to throw pass on leap up the ledges and kill the thieves, but Naliah is the only unit that can get up there fast enough otherwise in my experience, and she obviously outclasses him.

After part 3 Volug is pretty much pointless though, but between Laguz Royals, GM's, and Jill you shouldn't be pressed for valuable units.

Edited by Irysa

I've never really been a fan of laguz just for the fact that they're useless half the time, unless I worry about grasses and stones and all of this other stuff that I'm just way to lazy to bother with, or they're completely broken (the royals). The fact that they lack 1-2 range is just the cherry on top that makes me hardly ever use them.