FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

Rom hacking won't really have that much to do with it- it's game design in general you need to know a lot about to make something good. There's no such thing as a "make game" button.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not explicitly coming to Mac, but there's apparently some converter engine made by a group of freelancers in progress (Unrelated to FEXNA, it's for C# games in general). I think it's called Mono? Not 100% on that.

Yeah, it's in C#.

Ah, yes! Luckily that is the language that I am currently learning of. Maybe I can configure and extend FEXNA's gameplay class codes the moment it is released.

Is there any chance for animated backgrounds? I recently downloaded a collection of FE9 backgrounds and some had several frames for flickering lights and was wondering if it's something that could either be put in or coded in without too much hassle?

Also, figure this probably belongs here more, as it's a question 'bout the engine more than FE7x.

2da0fe1f08019b70bf8909f605a2e7cd.png
0dfa73e96a6dfe3d08113eb676119f7d.png

This took maybe two hours including the time creating the enemy range graphic, why didn't I do this earlier

EDIT
cdd1d2d2cdbdc9cab8959f18706cff89.png
Also staves

Not sure if it's been asked or answered, but is there an option to ontop of enemy ranges to select specific enemies and have that be a secondary range-viewer? I noticed it in Awakening and it definitely helped when there were recruitable enemies or if you wanted to be sure on ranges of specific groups or classes of enemies.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone yet knows how FeXNA handles dodge animations... are you limited to 2-5 frames?

Also, does the sprites on the tilesheet have to be left facing? ...or will it be more like Feditor this time around...or something different?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone yet knows how FeXNA handles dodge animations... are you limited to 2-5 frames?

Also, does the sprites on the tilesheet have to be left facing? ...or will it be more like Feditor this time around...or something different?

Dodge animations can be as many frames as you want, with sounds/effects whenever. I'm pretty sure that was the case with FEGBA, too? This time around, battle sprites are actually expected to be right-facing, but there's a "mirror" button if you forget. There will be a full tutorial on FEXNA Animator's features, just like there should be with the rest of the engine. We have like 3 people saying, "Klok if you're not going to make the guide I will" but so far no one has; we're somewhat waiting on the next private release of FEXNA, which will probably come after the next public release of FE7x.

@Enemy ranges: you can press the "enemy range" button on an empty tile to show the ranges of all enemies in purple (staves still green), then the individual enemies you show range on will still show as red on top of that, plus the normal GBA range check on top of that.

That doesn't exist yet, but there's some demand for it and Yeti was thinking of adding support for it in the future. Even if he didn't, it would be a fairly easy thing to add for any other C# coder on release.

Changing unit face sprites is something I need for FE7x anyway, since there's a timeskip so younger characters/trainees will need aged up.

Not sure if it's been asked or answered, but is there an option to ontop of enemy ranges to select specific enemies and have that be a secondary range-viewer? I noticed it in Awakening and it definitely helped when there were recruitable enemies or if you wanted to be sure on ranges of specific groups or classes of enemies.

Enemy attack range display work exactly the same as FE13, other than also allowing some classic GBA range checking on top of it.

I highly apologise if this has already been asked already (cause even I get pissed when people ask the same questions over and over), but I can't remember if it has. Does FEXNA support the strength/magic split? I only ask that because FE7x doesn't have it, though that's presumably because no classes in the game have any need for it.

Nope, sure doesn't. Can be coded by someone else on release though.

After many chat sessions with yeti, he convinced me it's entirely pointless to even have it so I don't even argue the point any more.

Edited by Klokky-Kuuuun!

FEXNA doesn't, and as far as I know it has no plans to do so. It's not uncommon to see Yeti leave out unnecessary features in order to discourage bad design (and indeed, the strength/magic split is one of the most overhypedly useless mechanics in series history, with very few actual uses. Overall it's pretty hard to justify its inclusion at all, unless your entire game is built around it somehow) That said, though, I noticed the latest FE7x managed to find space for a Rating stat on the stats screen, and finding screen space is the second-most-difficult part of the entire split. Adding the stat to game systems shouldn't be difficult at all, so the only major inconvenience is that the Editor doesn't have anywhere to put an additional stat, meaning you'd have to edit all the character/class data in a text editor if you added it.

I see someone posted while I was typing this so lesse what they said lol

EDIT: yeah what he said

Edited by 47948201

So I have two questions:

1) With custom classes, are there any that come with the program itself, or do all custom classes have to be made by us? If any are already there, are they the same ones listed on the FE7x website?

2) Are skills in this game more like Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn where most skills could be equipped and traded across all characters; or is it more like Awakening where all classes have their own skills that they gain by leveling up?

1. It comes with all the gba classes and hopefully I'll be able to release a class pack featuring all the best feditor animations.

2. No, it's more like FE4/5 where your units just have skills assigned by character or class. There's no system for adding/removing skills other than eventing, definitely no skill swapping or anything else currently.