• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

Ladies' FS

Mirai Nagasu:

Clean, a great job from Mirai! She nailed that triple axel. Her jumps were good, but the rest of her skating felt kind of empty? Like a lot of it was spent building up speed for her jumps. 1/1

Kaori Sakamoto:

Her jumps were shakier than Mirai's but I enjoyed her skating more. She seemed kind of tired. 2/2

Gabrielle Daleman:

Wow, I loved her performance. Her jumps were clean too. I like her better than Osmond I think. Ugh she deserved more PCS. 2/3

Carolina Kostner:

A lot of shaky landings... Definitely not her best. Her performance was still pretty good though. 3/4

Alina Zagitova:

Clean, excellent job. Evgenia and Alina are so reliable it's great. Also backloaded to hell and back. Don't get me wrong, it's really impressive that she can do that, but it just doesn't make for a very enjoyble performance. She fills her program with transitions though, and she's very good at them. I don't like her tutu costume at all. 1/5

Overall more exciting than the men's event.

2 minutes ago, sylveonzoroark said:

o i didn't realize u actually read them

here's a brief glossary of things:

SP - Short Program, requires three jumps (one in combination), three spins, and a step sequence
FS - Free Skate or Long Program, requires seven jumps for ladies and eight jumps for men (which might change to seven in the next season) three of which must be in combination, three spins, a step sequence, and a choreo sequence
TES - Technical Element Score, the score of the stuff listed above
PCS - Performance Component Score, based on the composition/choreography, interpretation, skating skills, transitions, and performance
Jumps -  the six jumps from easiest to hardest: Toe Loop, Salchow, Loop, Flip, Lutz, and Axel
Spins - my favorite elements; Upright, Sit, Camel, and Layback
Clean - no falls or underrotations and such
Pop - to do a jump with less rotations than intended

wow thanks i feel educated now

ur cool sylv i love learning jargon

Ladies' FS

Mirai Nagasu:

Clean, a great job from Mirai! She nailed that triple axel. Her jumps were good, but the rest of her skating felt kind of empty? Like a lot of it was spent building up speed for her jumps. 1/1

Kaori Sakamoto:

Her jumps were shakier than Mirai's but I enjoyed her skating more. She seemed kind of tired. 2/2

Gabrielle Daleman:

Wow, I loved her performance. Her jumps were clean too. I like her better than Osmond I think. Ugh she deserved more PCS. 2/3

Carolina Kostner:

A lot of shaky landings... Definitely not her best. Her performance was still pretty good though. 3/4

Alina Zagitova:

Clean, excellent job. Evgenia and Alina are so reliable it's great. Also backloaded to hell and back. Don't get me wrong, it's really impressive that she can do that, but it just doesn't make for a very enjoyble performance. She fills her program with transitions though, and she's very good at them. I don't like her tutu costume at all. 1/5

Overall more exciting than the men's event.

2 minutes ago, sylveonzoroark said:

o i didn't realize u actually read them

here's a brief glossary of things:

SP - Short Program, requires three jumps (one in combination), three spins, and a step sequence
FS - Free Skate or Long Program, requires seven jumps for ladies and eight jumps for men (which might change to seven in the next season) three of which must be in combination, three spins, a step sequence, and a choreo sequence
TES - Technical Element Score, the score of the stuff listed above
PCS - Performance Component Score, based on the composition/choreography, interpretation, skating skills, transitions, and performance
Jumps -  the six jumps from easiest to hardest: Toe Loop, Salchow, Loop, Flip, Lutz, and Axel
Spins - my favorite elements; Upright, Sit, Camel, and Layback
Clean - no falls or underrotations and such
Pop - to do a jump with less rotations than intended

wow thanks i feel educated now

ur cool sylv i love learning jargon

that took a while but im finally out of things to shitpost thx for humorin me thread

things i thought about suju before watching them on variety:

Spoiler

leeteuk - "leader, probably responsible"

heechul - "i only ever see him host but he doesn't seem as bizarre as ive seen kpop fans make him out to be. also why do people keep calling him gay when he's said multiple times that hes not"

yesung - "he seems rly dark and mysterious"

sungmin - "probably soft"

eunhyuk - "very talented"

donghae - "he looks smart"

ryeowook - "probably cute"

kyuhyun - "his voice and visuals are so refined and sophisticated i bet he's calm and tranquil"

things i have learned about suju after watching them on variety:

Spoiler

leeteuk - an attention-seeker, literally tries to mc everything, too kind for his own good

heechul - fuckin?? weirdo???????????????? likes girl groups a lot (same) also how the fuck does he kiss his groupmates so casually?????? fuckin weirdo

yesung - bullyable, emo, somehow makes everything sad

sungmin - actually soft

eunhyuk - an anchovy who likes to bully yesung and donghae way too much

donghae - stupid and cries a lot. basically lay but with less cluelessness and more love for his members

ryeowook - on his 19th birthday he wished to be the eternal maknae, apparently that came true cuz hes forever 12

kyuhyun - the snarkiest idol ive ever seen which is actually kinda impressive tbh im surprised suju lets him bully them so much. his face is the very opposite of his personality

Team Free Dance

I don't watch ice dancing a lot, so I don't know the technical stuff, but it's still very enjoyable to watch. No anxiety about jumps or throws. Longer skirts so they don't show their butts for half the program.

Muramoto / Reed:

A really delicate music choice. Wow, a fall during the step sequence. Ice dancers focus a lot more on their skating skills and have deeper edges, so I'm surprised. Reed does look a little out of it. 1/1

Cappellini / Lanotte:

Very expressive, really nice choreography. Those lifts were good. I wonder if male pairs/dance skaters have pads under their pants so they don't get cut or bruised by the female skater's skates. 1/2

Bobrova / Soloviyev:

I like her dress a lot. 1) it's pink 2) the skirt looks really good in spins. I also like their concept; the woman is blind and her partner is describing the world to her. 1/3

Maia / Alex Shibutani:

The male skater seems more alive in this skate than in the others. That might be because of his costume though. It's kinda cute that the siblings are close enough to be skating partners. A really good dance. 1/4

Virtue / Moir:

It's pretty clear who the winner is here. Virtue and Moir are really intense. They're also really in tune with each other, even more so than the other pairs. 1/5

Congrats Canada!

itp more complaining about figure skating

What I would change to the current judging system:

The 10% bonus on jumps in the second half of the program: instead of letting skaters backload all of their jumps, only 3-4 would count for the bonus

Component score: judges would actually score skaters based on skating skills, transitions, interpretation, performance, and composition instead of scoring based on reputation/technical elements with a 1 point deviation between all the categories. For example, a skater may not have many transitions but very good skating skills or interpretation and the scores should reflect that. Instead it'll just be 8.25, 8.50, 8.00 or something across the board. For example, Alina's transitions deserve a high score but her skating skills and choreography leave something to be desired. Judges are just being lazy.

Quads: their base value would be lowered slightly. I don't want male skaters breaking any more body parts attempting a stupid number of quads. 

Clean skates: would have 10% bonus for clean programs; additionally, a higher deduction for falls so skaters, especially in the men's discipline, don't try to game the system by attempting quads and falling on purpose.

Edge calls and underrotations: This is more nitpicky, but I feel like they're always less strict with the Russian ladies on this thing, or maybe they just don't look for them. I have a big problem with Evgenia's 2A getting such positive GOEs, even a 3 from some judge who probably had too much soju. 1) it was prerotated 2) it was underrotated 3) it was really forced and muscled 4) helicopter arms. Her lutzes frequently have an unclear edge but it's rarely pointed out by the judges.