You know, I miss FE10

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember back when people use to joke about the 3-13 archer(even though he was a sniper)?

I still love that guy. He will still occasional leap down off his ballista and destroy those fools in the corner. Or he'll crit with his ballista, that tiger who keeps gnawing on that one knight's dome.

<3 3-13 Archer for life.

Come to think of it, that was a really weird level. You have tons of allies, yet they are unlikely to ever get involved since they are deep into that zone that the enemies aren't allowed to reach. Also, the status menu says that Sothe and Volug can talk to Rafiel but that is impossible because he is always carried by Nailah.

You'd have to ask them. They saw my idea as just taking steps back and weren't even willing to give it a try.

Hey. You.

Let's give it a try, again.

And, no. I'm not really thinking of kicking a dead horse, just because I feel like it, at the moment.

Come to think of it, that was a really weird level. You have tons of allies, yet they are unlikely to ever get involved since they are deep into that zone that the enemies aren't allowed to reach. Also, the status menu says that Sothe and Volug can talk to Rafiel but that is impossible because he is always carried by Nailah.

I think you can have a character Rescue-Drop Rafiel so he can do that.

After reading this, I have started my third hard mode run today. I just cannot dismiss this game, because it's way too awesome!

Yeah, it is. Keep going at it, and tell us how it's going.

FE10 HM is always the way to go.

I have finished my third HM run.

This was so fun and it was by far my best and fastest run.

I could manage much better the bexp. than in the previous playthroughs. Actually my aim was to use different/weaker units like Astrid or Heather, but it takes too much time and I have not enough bexp. on hard mode. So I had to use the veterans.

That's really one of the few flaws that the availibity of the characters is complety unbalanced and underleveled units like Meg or Astrid are almost impossible to train on HM. At least I could spend Muarim some levels in 4-4 and I could promote Mist, but her speed was terrible (even through giving her "blossom" skill).

Ilyana and Jill were too OP! Ilyana had average speed growth of 80% during the entire game (WTF?!) and Jill almost did a solo in 4-P and 4-3. Jill also dethroned Marcia in the kill results. The first time after around 10 runs that Marcia didn't get the most kills.

R.I.P. Leonard, Aran, Meg, Fiona, Rhys and Soren :.(

FE10 HM is always nice!

Especially the disabled enemy movement range claims the full attention from you! I would like to see this feature as a customize option at least in the next FE game.

• 2 weeks later...

zomg, I just got my Wii back.

I've been playing this on emulator for a while, but it's really something else on the Wii (EVEN IF it ran at ALMOST perfect speed, there).

Only on 1-2 HM so far, but...it feels like I could blaze through Part 1 in the weekend, compared to my snail pace on emulator.

I just let animations on now. Except for Micaiah.

Now I actually regret my decision to get rid of Radiant Dawn. I don't think I ever recalled seeing Fiona do anything useful even on easy. As for tiering I enjoyed lurking and reading tiering threads but never really was good enough to actually contribute anything.

Pretty much anyone can be useful given work. It's just a matter of wether all that work put in is worth it.

You can spend a ton of resources, time and kills on Fiona and sure, she'll be pretty good (Solid defensive growths, sort of fixable offense, EARTH affinity). But then, you have people like Haar/Tiamat which pretty much only need a Speedwings and they'll usually be amazing with little effort and they'll carry out your team...

Fiona is trainable on easy mode at least. The enemies are lower level, so you can change your DB members from chapter to chapter in part 1. She needs just a few levels and points in strength (maybe energy drop) to use a steel lance without speed peanlty. Give her a support with Nolan, Volug or Zihark and she will be a dodge tank. And Fiona has two very nice free skills and canto!

• 2 weeks later...

The story just feels rushed after part 3, but there are people who also dislike part 1 because Micaiah has so many special plot powers. But then you get to the point where villains like Jarod are lauded as admirable soldiers (wtf?) so it's hard to take the plot seriously anymore the further you get through the Dawn Brigade chapters. But honestly, it's still better than Awakening and the Fire Emblem team did try very hard to do something different, so I applaud the effort here. I love Part 2 despite it being a short interlude between the two big sides.

I have the opposite impression. Everything but Part 4 feels like filler. Like it only exists in order to get the story to the point were PoR had already been. Just that this time around it's way dumber, painfully contrived and overall worse.

And the name of the game is "Goddess of Dawn". Or "Akatsuki no Megami" as the case may be. So by all appearance, Part 4 is what the game is all about. It's nothing short of the cornerstone of the story. No matter how badly it may be executed, Part 4 cannot actually be filler.

But it definitely doesn't help that we got this crappy abridged script. I can only advice everyone to read all the available translations from the extended script that we have on this site. It greatly improved my opinion on the story. I can't imagine that it could save Part 1 and 3, though.

Not only that but the localization also felt the need to completely change the dialogue between Ike and Yune is the Epilogue. Our version has nothing to do with the Japanese script... and the entire rest of the game for that matter.

I mean, how do you turn this...

Ike: You were like a mother to all of life-- Your children still require a mother like you. When you watch over us, we don't always do things that make you happy and sometimes we even disappoint you. Still, I think we would like you to continue watching over us. How about it?

...into this:

Ike: It's true, we don't have much use for gods. But, well... You show us what we should aspire to. We need inspiration. You give us a reason to grow. To become more than we are. And if we don't have that, Yune, we're nothing more than statues. See?

"Inspiration"? On of the main themes of part 4 was how the gods were no less flawed then their creations:

Yune: We did create life, and can do many things that you creatures of flesh can't. But that doesn't make us perfect. It just means we can make mistakes on a much grander scale... We're not what you've been taught, and we're much closer to you skin-wearers than some will admit. But we do make mistakes... Sometimes we make terrible mistakes. Sometimes all it takes is one emotional outburst, and the entire world is drowning underwater!

Sephiran: Hatari. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see it. The wolf tribe has survived all this time in the far corner of the world. Only the goddess could have known that.
Nailah: Perhaps even she didn't know it. Your goddess isn't perfect, you know. Does an imperfect goddess have the right to judge imperfect beings?

Yune: People are probably the dumbest creatures alive. But... Somehow you're also the most endearing. It's your imperfections that make you so interesting... Imperfections very similar to ours.

Kurth: Goddess Ashera, please listen to me. We know that we are clearly imperfect, but you, unnaturally created of pure order... Might that not be considered an imperfection?

Ashera: No, I am perfect. Free of emotion, I have no doubts. Therefore I commit no errors.

Yune: But it would be difficult... Could we really coexist? Does it not bother you that I'm an imperfect being?
Ike: You forgave all the mistakes that we made, so how could we not forgive you.

In this setting, the gods are a very poor source of "inspiration". So the English version of the Epilogue has not only nothing to do with the rest of the game but it's hilariously out of place too.

But the Japanese version... well, one of the main themes of the entire Tellius series is family. Not only family by blood but especially the sense of family between all living things, regardless of race, social status or any other heritage:

Ike: At a time like this, it doesn't matter what our blood ties are. We are family. That's what my father always used to say. And today...for the first time... I understand why he said it... Because we are a family. So if you don't want to cause your family any grief, then live!

Naesala: I'm only joking. Don't get so defensive.
Micaiah: Then don't insult my family.
Naesala: Hmph. You say he's your brother, but there's as much resemblance between you two as between me and Skrimir.

Mist: Everyone in the Greil Mercenaries is part of a family. We all follow the commander, no matter what. We'll live together, fight together, and die together. Right, Ike?

Elincia: As you said, Lucia and the others are very important to me. They are family

Rolf: I have my family, Oscar. You, Boyd...everyone in the Greil Mercenaries. I don't need anyone else. Why should I let her try and change that? (Rolf is talking about his mother, btw.)

Sanaki: Will I... never see you again?
Micaiah: Hardly. I think that what our countries need now is a sense of family and friendship.

So connecting this giant family through Yune as the "mother of all life" makes perfect sense.

Edited by BrightBow

I have the opposite impression. Everything but Part 4 feels like filler. Like it only exists in order to get the story to the point were PoR had already been. Just that this time around it's way dumber, painfully contrived and overall worse.

And the name of the game is "Goddess of Dawn". Or "Akatsuki no Megami" as the case may be. So by all appearance, Part 4 is what the game is all about. It's nothing short of the cornerstone of the story. No matter how badly it may be executed, Part 4 cannot actually be filler.

But it definitely doesn't help that we got this crappy abridged script. I can only advice everyone to read all the available translations from the extended script that we have on this site. It greatly improved my opinion on the story. I can't imagine that it could save Part 1 and 3, though.

Not only that but the localization also felt the need to completely change the dialogue between Ike and Yune is the Epilogue. Our version has nothing to do with the Japanese script... and the entire rest of the game for that matter.

I mean, how do you turn this...

Ike: You were like a mother to all of life-- Your children still require a mother like you. When you watch over us, we don't always do things that make you happy and sometimes we even disappoint you. Still, I think we would like you to continue watching over us. How about it?

...into this:

Ike: It's true, we don't have much use for gods. But, well... You show us what we should aspire to. We need inspiration. You give us a reason to grow. To become more than we are. And if we don't have that, Yune, we're nothing more than statues. See?

"Inspiration"? On of the main themes of part 4 was how the gods were no less flawed then their creations:

Yune: We did create life, and can do many things that you creatures of flesh can't. But that doesn't make us perfect. It just means we can make mistakes on a much grander scale... We're not what you've been taught, and we're much closer to you skin-wearers than some will admit. But we do make mistakes... Sometimes we make terrible mistakes. Sometimes all it takes is one emotional outburst, and the entire world is drowning underwater!

Sephiran: Hatari. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see it. The wolf tribe has survived all this time in the far corner of the world. Only the goddess could have known that.

Nailah: Perhaps even she didn't know it. Your goddess isn't perfect, you know. Does an imperfect goddess have the right to judge imperfect beings?

Yune: People are probably the dumbest creatures alive. But... Somehow you're also the most endearing. It's your imperfections that make you so interesting... Imperfections very similar to ours.

Kurth: Goddess Ashera, please listen to me. We know that we are clearly imperfect, but you, unnaturally created of pure order... Might that not be considered an imperfection?

Ashera: No, I am perfect. Free of emotion, I have no doubts. Therefore I commit no errors.

Yune: But it would be difficult... Could we really coexist? Does it not bother you that I'm an imperfect being?

Ike: You forgave all the mistakes that we made, so how could we not forgive you.

In this setting, the gods are a very poor source of "inspiration". So the English version of the Epilogue has not only nothing to do with the rest of the game but it's hilariously out of place too.

But the Japanese version... well, one of the main themes of the entire Tellius series is family. Not only family by blood but especially the sense of family between all living things, regardless of race, social status or any other heritage:

Ike: At a time like this, it doesn't matter what our blood ties are. We are family. That's what my father always used to say. And today...for the first time... I understand why he said it... Because we are a family. So if you don't want to cause your family any grief, then live!

Naesala: I'm only joking. Don't get so defensive.

Micaiah: Then don't insult my family.

Naesala: Hmph. You say he's your brother, but there's as much resemblance between you two as between me and Skrimir.

Mist: Everyone in the Greil Mercenaries is part of a family. We all follow the commander, no matter what. We'll live together, fight together, and die together. Right, Ike?

Elincia: As you said, Lucia and the others are very important to me. They are family

Rolf: I have my family, Oscar. You, Boyd...everyone in the Greil Mercenaries. I don't need anyone else. Why should I let her try and change that? (Rolf is talking about his mother, btw.)

Sanaki: Will I... never see you again?

Micaiah: Hardly. I think that what our countries need now is a sense of family and friendship.

So connecting this giant family through Yune as the "mother of all life" makes perfect sense.

I forgot to exclude "endgame" in my comment. Only meant the six chapters before endgame.

I have it edited!

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

• 2 weeks later...

I miss when Fire Emblem was that semi-vague series that only some people knew about. Now, mostly because of Awakening, it has a much larger fanbase and because of that, there are advantages and disadvantages. Yes, i will watch your playthrough.

Edited by PsychoMongoose

I sort of agree with you.

I don't exactly ride along the whole, "i knew this before everyone else" thing. But, I can agree that it's not fantastic that people most newcomers became aware of the series because of the better things it has to offer. Funny enough, FE13 is probably my second favorite game.

I'm still doing this.

I still like reading the tier list just for nostalgia and just to go "wow haven't things changed".

I only just noticed Gatrie is upper middle when back in the day he was god.

Just so you know, loooooove the Friends reference up there. And Friends, too. Saving.

And I agree. There was some pretty fun stuff in there. It's almost as if Interceptor and smash had it all scripted.

I played FE13 before FE10, for various reasons. I had never completed FE9 because when it came out I was too young to really appreciate it. It was just so drastically different from the other two localized games in the series, so I never got around to finishing it. When FE10 came out, I got it, pretty sure I knew it was a sequel to FE9 but I got it anyway. I think my plan was to actually play through FE9, but for some reason I couldn't find the game ANYWHERE in the house. I got to Part 2 of RD and then quit, because I just felt blech about playing the sequel without finishing the original. So I put the game away until I could find FE9. About halfway through my freshman year of college, I downloaded Dolphin and played FE9 on my laptop (which sucked because my computer could not handle the sound so I played the game on mute and YouTubed the cutscenes). I played the game so much I, heh heh, almost failed my finals, but I loved every second of it. My friend and I basically downloaded it together and played it at the same time, so we both finished around the same time. After that, my friend started looking online to buy a cheap Wii, and we started playing RD. Then the school year ended and he took my copy of RD with him to Mackinac Island where he works/stays over the summer, so I was left aching to play the game. After a car accident left me with a broken shoulder and a medical leave from work, my mom took me to a video store (yes those still exist) to get some movies, and I came across RD in their video game section, rented it, and played it nonstop. It was such a good game! I finally finished it after a week, and was left in awe at how awesome it was. Then I thought back to FE13, and how great that game was, and it somehow felt....inadequate, mediocre...The characters in Radiant Dawn, although undeveloped, felt more real and interesting than the ones in Awakening. The story felt chaotic and dangerous up until Part 4, where everything felt calm, even though the main plot had finally revealed itself. It was very mature, very well-written, and very interesting. Awakening just can't seem to live up, and that kinda makes me sad.

^Holy crap. 'dat story, mang.

Let's be FE10 bros. ;~; ...if that's even a thing- Heck, it is, now.

FE10 on Dolphin HD looks so much prettier than the console it's not even funny. Liek, wow. I'm half-tempted at just doing my run on emulator, even if it runs slower (and the fact my Wii's consfiscated, which isn't THAAAAAT much of an excuse).

Edited by jorgito

^Holy crap. 'dat story, mang.

Let's be FE10 bros. ;~; ...if that's even a thing- Heck, it is, now.

FE10 on Dolphin HD looks so much prettier than the console it's not even funny. Liek, wow. I'm half-tempted at just doing my run on emulator, even if it runs slower (and the fact my Wii's consfiscated, which isn't THAAAAAT much of an excuse).

We can TOTALLY be FE10 bros. lol

And my computer isn't fit to run games that size. Heck, even FE9 slowed my game way down, and I couldn't use sound at all.

Somebody get me a Like button. We really need one, at SF. Nao.

Fun fact: FE9 & FE10, as far as I know, have about the same system requirements. If anything, FE10 probably runs slightly faster than FE9, on my computer... ;x Maybe it's the emulator (funny enough, Dolphin 2.0 seems to run the fastest, for me). There are also some chapters where it slows down. Early chapters (both games) seem to run faster and then slow down as you play through the game.