• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything you post is like getting your scrotum smashed with an ice pack

Had many experiences with that?

Edited by Makaze

Summer always gives me the urge to watch anime, but I haven't been keeping up with anything and don't know how to find what I want to watch. I'm in the mood for something high-schooly, dramaish, or something with a good summer vibe to it. Anyone have any titles to suggest? Meanwhile anime general.

I like shows like Clannad, Kokoro connect, etc

Mirai Nikki imo.

Holy shit, does this happen all the time?

Yes.

You do post a lot.

sick burn

Anyways being on-topic and not a fuccboi, I haven't seen Chuunibyou mentioned, and that one's got a strong summer tinge to it with lots of highschool shenanigans and comedy, with romance too. In that same vein I'd recommend Toradora, it's got a wider cast and has more emphasis on making you feel feels.

I'm curious to see how that would end... *Cough* Oreimo ending *Cough*

Back on topic:

JoJo.

JoJo transcends genres.

I don't really know what happens in Oreimo, but from what I read:

The two siblings wanna get married for a while but then they decide not to? I might not have said anything if I knew that happened.

The two siblings wanna get married for a while but then they decide not to? I might not have said anything if I knew that happened.

Hahaha, no. Nowhere near as blatant as that.

Just started Armored Trooper VOTOMS. That should probably keep me busy, it's that kind of anime I like. It's also a great example of how bad the Japanese are at animating. Take away the shiny coat of paint from pretty much anything else, and you get VOTOMS. If you've watched it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, just wanted to put out that I pussied out on Evangelion. I'm prone to depression, and I'm not sure it's entirely safe for me.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

Oreimo is an extreme example of harem anime which actually heads into pairing off, in that nothing is ever really resolved. He's never going to get with his sister, that's for sure. He does get with Kuroneko but breaks up with her afterwards to keep otaku watching to extract all the delicious money they can from them with additional content. -___-

Just started Armored Trooper VOTOMS. That should probably keep me busy, it's that kind of anime I like. It's also a great example of how bad the Japanese are at animating. Take away the shiny coat of paint from pretty much anything else, and you get VOTOMS. If you've watched it you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, just wanted to put out that I pussied out on Evangelion. I'm prone to depression, and I'm not sure it's entirely safe for me.

Whaaaat, VOTOMS came out in the early 80s man. You might as well bitch that Pong's graphics suck.

Also Evangelion is pretty depressing, given that the director was experiencing severe depression when the series was created, but the anime ends on a high note. The following movie which explains and extends the ending of the anime, however, appropriately titled End of Evangelion, creates a bleak and ambiguous finale. More recently three films have been released which extend and complicate the canon of the series. The most recent film ends on a very sad note, but I'm confident it will conclude happily or at least won't end as depressingly as the series originally did.

It's such a beautiful series, though, it will make you feel feels. Also the songs they pair with it are always so good.

congratulations!

The original ending of Eva is generally seen as a copout and pretty poor due to the studio having almost no money left or something along the lines of that, also the creator hates/trolls his fans

Going to the EVA Store in Tokyo was definitely worth it after seeing the series again

Edited by Alb

You should watch teh Gundamns. You get awesome shit like out hero throwing people who need crutches to stand off fucking cliffs. Like in my signature.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

You should watch teh Gundamns. You get awesome shit like out hero throwing people who need crutches to stand off fucking cliffs. Like in my signature.

I prefer the throwing shield method

If you haven't watched Fullmetal Alchemist, you're missing out on something amazing.

Even the English Dub was bloody amazing, and I'm normally one to read subs.

Edited by Gaia

Oreimo is an extreme example of harem anime which actually heads into pairing off, in that nothing is ever really resolved. He's never going to get with his sister, that's for sure. He does get with Kuroneko but breaks up with her afterwards to keep otaku watching to extract all the delicious money they can from them with additional content. -___-

Whaaaat, VOTOMS came out in the early 80s man. You might as well bitch that Pong's graphics suck.

Also Evangelion is pretty depressing, given that the director was experiencing severe depression when the series was created, but the anime ends on a high note. The following movie which explains and extends the ending of the anime, however, appropriately titled End of Evangelion, creates a bleak and ambiguous finale. More recently three films have been released which extend and complicate the canon of the series. The most recent film ends on a very sad note, but I'm confident it will conclude happily or at least won't end as depressingly as the series originally did.

It's such a beautiful series, though, it will make you feel feels. Also the songs they pair with it are always so good.

This talk about depressed directors made me think of Gen Urobuch who once wrote this about his stories:

I want to write stories that can warm people's hearts... But ever since I can't recall when, I can no longer write works like this. I have nothing but contempt for the deceitful thing men call happiness, and have had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy...

I recently watched 2 anime(Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica) where he was the writer and you can see it was written by someone with a pretty dark outlook.

What I mean by animating is making an illusion of movement, not the frames themselves. Those are just fine. The problem is that anime is a mess of choppy frames and/or panning. VOTOMS is what happens when you leave the choppy animation that's always plagued anime while also taking out the pretty pictures that make their eyes so glittery and what makes the obligatory Rei archetype's hair so white in the newer fare(about 2000 or later). That's where I'm coming from with the "Japanese are bad at animating" argument. But I like the look of the series, it's like watching a moving comic book with the lack of color, ink shading and choppy movement.

I heard about the ending, and that is what did it. I might watch the Rebuild movies, though.

Edited by HeavyBrawlsGuy

congratulations!

The original ending of Eva is generally seen as a copout and pretty poor due to the studio having almost no money left or something along the lines of that, also the creator hates/trolls his fans

Going to the EVA Store in Tokyo was definitely worth it after seeing the series again

Yeah, it did happen because of their lack of funding. I dunno, I guess it might have been because I already had End of Evangelion to watch at my leisure, but I liked and still like the ending.

What I mean by animating is making an illusion of movement, not the frames themselves. Those are just fine. The problem is that anime is a mess of choppy frames and/or panning. VOTOMS is what happens when you leave the choppy animation that's always plagued anime while also taking out the pretty pictures that make their eyes so glittery and what makes the obligatory Rei archetype's hair so white in the newer fare(about 2000 or later). That's where I'm coming from with the "Japanese are bad at animating" argument. But I like the look of the series, it's like watching a moving comic book with the lack of color, ink shading and choppy movement.

I heard about the ending, and that is what did it. I might watch the Rebuild movies, though.

Pretty sure you're just watching low-quality rips of anime if you think choppy animation is characteristic of Japanese animation.

The series is awful either way, but

according to what I read, the author wanted to go for a full bro/sis incest ending, but executive meddling forced the cop-out ending we got instead.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire
5 AND A HALF HOURS LATER I NOTICE THE BROKEN SPOILER TAG.