FE: Awakening ROM decrypted and extracted

VincentASM

Strange, Batch-LZ77 is pretty good. I used it for the FE12 translation and nothing broke, so I assume your files are OK. Maybe Nintendo's compression algorithm is a bit different?

If the file sizes are different, you might have trouble replacing the files in the ROM.

I don't know how people repack ROMs, but the unpacker I used breaks the Japanese file names, for stuff like the dialogue and portrait files. So if you try and repack those files, I don't think your modified ROM will work.

If the files are the same size or smaller, you could use a good hex editor to dump the files back into the ROM.

But trying to reduce the file size is like a lottery. In the old games, I just overwrote unused data to make the files smaller, but I'm not 100% sure what's unused in Static and GameData...

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over on tsr, it looks like ploaj has wrapped up the sprite dumps, and a few things caught my eye while looking through the spotpass portrait dumps. namely, unused characters! there's portraits for fe7!bartre, ninian and fe12's default-build male avatar; unlike the used ones, none of them have the card pattern backing applied to them. there are also a few duplicate instances of 11!marth and 12!marth's portraits without the backing, which look like they're just filling space

there's also yet another dummy silhouette portrait among them, this one with the spotpass card backing; i THINK the silhouette's the same one used on dlc units when the sd card's not in, but the backing itself isn't the same dlc one used in such a case

hardly a mystery why ninian and arguably 12!avatar were cut, but there you go

FE12 Avatar and Ninian would have been interesting

...And it seems Joshua was never intended to be a Spotpass unit

My gut is saying I ate too much food.

Any Gateway will be ready for the 9.2 when they release an update right?

Yes. They've confirmed that GW will support v9.X firmwares. You don't even need a v4.X 3DS to update the GW too.

At this point, Sky3DS, Gateway, and smea's exploit all work on 9.2. A couple clones just now coming out also support 9.2 and 3DS loading.

We'll see how things shape up in the next month :)

Some people might also like to hear that custom themes are possible. The format is known and able to be extracted and edited. And can be recompiled as .cia.

Edited by Celice

Some people might also like to hear that custom themes are possible. The format is known and able to be extracted and edited. And can be recompiled as .cia.

Looking forward to custom MaMU x FeMU Awakening themes.

At this point, Sky3DS, Gateway, and smea's exploit all work on 9.2. A couple clones just now coming out also support 9.2 and 3DS loading.

We'll see how things shape up in the next month :)

The only actual flashcart that's actually worth getting is Gateway. Sky3DS and its clones are pretty much dead now that Gateway has v9.X support. Heck, even Gateway's clones won't be able to reach the same thing Gateway has with v9.X. Unless *cough* some guy (Giovanify) hacks into one of Gateway's PCs and steals some stuff and leak them out all over the world.

What is the best flashcart anyway? I read some good things on the MT-card but I'm not sure if it's worth the cash.

Right now, definitely Gateway. MT-card has the whole save editing thing, but it doesn't actually work...and they were way behind Gateway until some guy (Giovanify) leaked the 7.X encryption keys out to the world and gave some Gateway clones a chance to catch up... Although, right now, they still haven't caught up to Gateway even though they have those keys... Especially since Gateway has confirmed that it has support for New3DS and v9.X while every other clone only works on v4.X.

Edited by Linkmstr

All righty, so all my previous attempts were pretty horrible failures, but I saw some Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS model rips today, so I tried some new things (namely https://gbatemp.net/threads/extracting-models-and-textures-from-3ds-games.370788/ )

The .m file seems like it's probably the model, I mean the .sa files say animation in the filename, and .t probably means .texture while .m probably means model, right, okay fair enough. So I'm not sure I did what the tutorial said quite right, partly because I ended up with my cmd saying

09e77e6f1fee2cdc87379241162888a0.png

and partly because it only made the .obj (I tried running it on the .t file to extract textures, don't ask why, I know you know how to rip textures, but I thought it might do something) which I can't import into Blender (it gives this error

3af4f32ad452a30d752fa6e0d65b6f75.png

and doesn't create anything in the world space stuff.

Here's the .obj that popped out of the thingy if anyone else wants: http://www.load.to/Un68OMtfeO/uBody_F_mamk_1.obj

Okay, Gateway ordered. If Rey wants his shipping fantasies to come true, then I want my red hair fantasy to come true.

Here's hoping some kind of save decryption/editing can be done using the Gateway for Awakening.

I must learn the secrets on how hair colors are made and decided.

Any guinea pigs around?

Please insert this file into the decrypted FE13 North American ROM at 0xBED0C50 assuming you land at bytes that begin 13 D3 C5 00.

I've made a ton of simple changes, hopefully nothing that will crash your game, but you never know...

Change list:

• Some characters have ridiculous stats so you can check the modifications are working.
  • Nearly everybody has a new initial class and can reclass to Tactician.
  • Chrom and Sumia can support everyone in the standard marriage pools.
  • Chrom can S rank with Lissa and Emmeryn (if you can S Rank Lissa, the support points are probably correct).
  • Logbook Avatars and DLC Marth can support, in theory.
  • Severa and Lucina have their parents swapped.

If it works, I'll release something cool.

Edited by VincentASM

Any guinea pigs around?

Please insert this file into the decrypted FE13 North American ROM at 0xBED0C50 assuming you land at bytes that begin 13 D3 C5 00.

I've made a ton of simple changes, hopefully nothing that will crash your game, but you never know...

Change list:

• Some characters have ridiculous stats so you can check the modifications are working.
  • Chrom can S rank with Lissa and Emmeryn (if you can S Rank Lissa, the support points are probably correct).

I would if I could, but I'm taking classes right now and exams are coming up. ;m;

Edited by Linkmstr

I tested editing Avatar's base stat yesterday but the game froze at character creating screen. It may work if I create Avatar on original rom first but who know? I will test yours when I get back home. Probably 6 hours later from now. FYI I only have base knowledge of typing keyboard, clicking mouse, and drag and drop. So don't get hopes too high on me.

Thanks!

I did edit Avatar's bases too. You can try this file instead, where I've left the Avatar's stats unchanged.

You can look at Chrom's stats in the Prologue to see if the ROM has been changed.

Also, Character editor if anyone wants to tinker around with it.

At the moment, I omitted some bytes between the cap modifiers and reclass sets, plus some bytes at the end.

When I have time somebody or I can look through those unknown bytes. Thinking back, I'm assuming some of the bytes are for weapon ranks. Dunno what else could be stored... Skills?

EDIT

Weapon ranks and skills found. Will take a while to implement though...

Edited by VincentASM

Any guinea pigs around?

Change list:

I have the means of being able to test it, but I'm not sure how to decrypt the ROM/run it on Gateway. What would I need? Someone will probably show up able to actually do this before I can figure it out, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I have the means of being able to test it, but I'm not sure how to decrypt the ROM/run it on Gateway. What would I need? Someone will probably show up able to actually do this before I can figure it out, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

You can find ways on how to decrypt 3DS roms by looking around the gbatemp forums. :P

Edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds_ctr_decryptor-void.370684/

Edited by Linkmstr

Thanks!

I did edit Avatar's bases too. You can try this file instead, where I've left the Avatar's stats unchanged.

You can look at Chrom's stats in the Prologue to see if the ROM has been changed.

Also, Character editor if anyone wants to tinker around with it.

At the moment, I omitted some bytes between the cap modifiers and reclass sets, plus some bytes at the end.

When I have time somebody or I can look through those unknown bytes. Thinking back, I'm assuming some of the bytes are for weapon ranks. Dunno what else could be stored... Skills?

EDIT

Weapon ranks and skills found. Will take a while to implement though...

i have downloaded your character editor. but all i see is a .nmm file and some txt files. how do i open it up?

thank you for releasing BTW. i was hopeing that you would.

Sorry, final revision for today. Here's version 3 of the test file: Download

...And 1.1 of the Character Editor: Download

Added basic support for weapon ranks and skills. Note that some skills were just guessed and at least one is wrong (Olivia's Dance should be Luck +4).

To add to the above, I believe I used this tutorial to decrypt the ROM.

EDIT:

You need the Nightmare program to use the modules. First decompress static.bin.lz in the /data/person directory (strip the first 4 bytes, then throw the file into Batch-LZ77 or Dsdecmp4).

Next, open the decompressed static.bin as the "ROM" in Nightmare and CharacterEditor.nmm as the "module".

After making your changes, use Dsdecmp4 to recompress the file, then add the initial 4 bytes back on.

Note that you shouldn't make the new file bigger than the old file--so no more than 12,996 bytes (if this happens, use similar numbers for stats, like all 7s for HP, STR, MAG, SKL, etc.) until the file size decreases.

Edited by VincentASM