Who is the worst unit in FE:A ?

Chloe Neo

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How useful is it in practice, though? That would be the question.

Even though you just got dog piled by responses I'll add to it anyway.

It's pretty dang useful. Rallies of any kind are.

Especially the Grandmaster's Rally Spectrum and the Bride's Rally Heart, since those can stack with others and add boosts to each individual stat. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Yeah, being able to stack for +8 or even +10 temp boosts to a stat is kind of absurd. Potentially requires a bunch of grinding, but it puts the recipients on a completely different tier of power.

The downside of Rally Spectrum, though, is its scarcity. Barring bringing in a Spotpass/Streetpass rallybot, requires sacrificing the (up to) three combat gods's powers to relegate them to support. In the vast majority of scenarios, a Veteran combat unit is far more broken than a dedicated rallybot. And hybridizing that is a questionable choice at best.

I agree that Ricken at least provides some help in a few crucial early game chapters (well, crucial for Lunatic(+), anyway). Because of magic's general high power, plus Elwind's effectiveness and high accuracy, he provides significant extra chip against Wyverns and relatively safe,non-trivial chip against enemies in his current chapter and the couple following. I'd say he's better for throwaway chip than Virion, anyway, since Virion has to deal with Wyverns' high Def when he's dealing effective damage.

I'm a bit torn on who to say is worst between Tiki and Donnel (gut reaction is also to start listing off a bunch of the kids because it's impractical to use them in no grind, but that's my bias of running no grind speaking). Yoshi makes a pretty compelling case for Tiki, but I think I might still need to lean toward Donnel. Aside from coming with uselessly bad bases and stealing early game EXP that other units would make much better use of (and I think those things alone make him a strong contender for worst), he actually starts to encounter other issues as he becomes more powerful. His HP and Str tends to increase one-for-one. It's usually enough that he can't one-shot anything, but starts to get close and keeps trailing. This is very, very bad against Counter, which Lunatic+ is chock-full of. Basically, he'll blow up his own face, then need a ton of healing before he can get back into the fight if he's ever forced to take on a Counter enemy in melee (which is pretty much going to happen at least a handful of times in early Lunatic+). Note that the reason Robin doesn't suffer from this same situation (although it's still a legit concern) is because Veteran is level spam, meaning that with that barring extremely poor luck, Robin's HP is going to far outstrip his/her offensive stats (not to mention quickly acquiring skills, which means Robin might bring procs to the table to potentially one-shot Counter units).

I do agree with Virion being the worst, Ricken in a close second. Virion probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for his defense. He's awful all round when you first get him, and when I used a master seal in promote him to a Bow Knight, he wasn't so bad, except his defense was so low that even if one enemy got too close, he would be gone. More or less the same thing applies to Ricken. Thankfully, I play on casual mode.

As for Donnel, it is a pain in the ass to level him up when hr's a Villager, but he gets MUCH better when promoted, especially as a mercenary. He can actually tolerate more than one hit, and can do more than 3 damage per hit.

I can't. Stand. Ricken's. Growths.

They just don't fit him. I always tend to have him stay as a Dark Knight, both because he has a surprisingly nice Stregnth and Magic cap at the same time...

And because it's fitting. He likes animals, so... Horsie! :D

But those growths. Even when it would feel like they'd be fine in such a class... They're a nuisance.

Even though you just got dog piled by responses I'll add to it anyway.

I was just wondering how they would stack in comparison to someone like Ricken or Donnel, though. Don't get me wrong! I do think that Basilio > Ricken & Donnel. But I keep seeing Ricken's Elwind access as a point in his favor in this topic. I mean, I can see it being useful against those earlygame Dracos. But is it enough to warrant for at least a Ricken > Basilio argument? Seeing as Rally Str can also be used by someone like Vaike or Gaius? That's the main question on my mind.

No, because Elwind (or better: Rexcalibur and possibly Celica's Gale) can be bought from Spotpass for cheap. You can't buy Rally Str (short of recruiting someone with it from Spotpass, but that falls against most people's definitions of nogrind).

If the Elwind itself were that important, I'd just trade it to Robin right away- but I find it to be of best use staying on Ricken because three mages is better than two (when playing offensively). Thus Ricken is really just a drop-in Wyvern chipper for Cht.5, and if I'm using Miriel he's a weak tome replenishment after that (Robin usually reclasses after Cht.5, and I don't usually wind up in a Tome class).

Vaike wants to go Hero, unless he's on the better half of his speed growths by a lot. Gaius requires a Second Seal, and those are in hot contention. . .so I don't see him as a potential rallier.

Vaike wants to go Hero, unless he's on the better half of his speed growths by a lot. Gaius requires a Second Seal, and those are in hot contention. . .so I don't see him as a potential rallier.

No, because Elwind (or better: Rexcalibur and possibly Celica's Gale) can be bought from Spotpass for cheap. You can't buy Rally Str (short of recruiting someone with it from Spotpass, but that falls against most people's definitions of nogrind).

If the Elwind itself were that important, I'd just trade it to Robin right away- but I find it to be of best use staying on Ricken because three mages is better than two (when playing offensively). Thus Ricken is really just a drop-in Wyvern chipper for Cht.5, and if I'm using Miriel he's a weak tome replenishment after that (Robin usually reclasses after Cht.5, and I don't usually wind up in a Tome class).

Good points. Anyways, it was something I just wanted to get off my chest, considering the comments in this topic overall. I'll admit that I do sort of see Basilio as redundant, but that doesn't mean I can't see his uses. Edited by Just call me AL

Dang nabbit eclipse and Czar I want to sound smart, too!

Err... Yeah I'd say Basilio's late game rally Str is more valuable than Ricken's early game Elwind. Especially since we really don't judge characters by their inventories (Astrid brings a knight ward 9/10 :awesome:). So Ricken shines in like, 1 chapter then Robin or Miriel snatches his Elwind from him.

Is it only me who had no problem training Donny...? In his Recruitment Chapter, I had Kellam Pair Up with Donny for Str and Def boosts, had Crom and A-support MU dodgetank anything that came at the Northern breach of the nifty little wall that you start by, and Stahl and Sully to the South. I had Freddy stomp the Archer in the far north, and had Vaike weaken the Barbarian with some Hand Axe action. That left the Barbarian with low enough health that Donny took him out, getting him to 40ish EXP. The theif then attacked Donny, but Kellam's Defense boost kept him alive. He hit the Thief again and took it out, and that got him the level. I then proceeded to use him as a mop for anything Sullystahl didn't One Round. I also had him and Freddy corner the Archer in the Treasure Room for another level. I also use him to take the Boss out, just for the extra level and because it's a great way to ends the Paralouge, the unlikely hero slaying the Baddie, especially when he says "I done it!" or "It's over." I then ground him up to Lv.10 on Spot Pass Cleric or Trobadour characters, like Nanna and Serra.

But Donny aside, I really tried to use Tharja, but she was just a day late and a dollar short. Her low Skill just ruined her for me as Dark Magic already has a AWFUL hit rate.

Also, I like Henry just beCAWS.

Most of our Donnel woes are from Lunatic mode, where he is one shotted and doubled by everything on the map.

Tharja on the other hand joins with a shockingly high base speed for her class along with a free +25 Hit in the form of auras.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Is this still about worst characters in FE:A or ralliers?

If it's still about worst chars (I'm probably getting hate for this, but eh... I'm used to it) these would be my picks:

(note: I'm talking about units, not personalities. That would be a WHOLE other list)

Gaius. Yes, Gaius. I apologize to any of you who have Gaius as their favourite character.

Reason why: His stat growths. For me, he only ever increased Skill and Speed and occasionally Strength, which is all well and good, but still having around 17 or so Defense AFTER skill grinding as an Assassin does not cut it, in my opinion. Here are Gaius' average stats I get per playthrough. Class is usually Assassin:

HP: 76, Str: 40, Mag. 20, Skl.48, Spd. 46, Lck. 22, Def. 15-18, Res. 8-11

When all other units are usually maxed out after Skill grinding. This is a real shame since I like Gaius as a character and his critical hit quotes and voice are badass in both japanese and english.

Ricken & Miriel. In a similar vein to Gaius, those two always get stat screwed for some reason. I don't know if I do something wrong, but Lissa, Brady or Laurent (ironic, isn't it) are usually better Sages in the end. Good thing I can't stand Ricken, but with Miriel it's a shame since some of her supports are downright hilarious.

Donnel: As mentioned by others, his base stats are total crap and it's a nightmare to increase them, even when using DLC. At least they increase quickly, but for me, even with Aptitude, he never maxed out Res as a Hero. And on harder difficulties, you have to go out of your way to even get the guy to join you. Just... urgh...

I made Gaius' section longer in order to appease his fans. I could continue going into detail, but all my complaints are about stats, so... yeah.

Some other characters that usually turn out inferior to others and prove to be a liability instead of an asset include:

Vaike, Panne, Libra, Anna and Cherche. That's about it, I think. Note that those last five did occasionally turn out good for me, hence why I listed them off like this. Sorry if the post is too long... :-)

Is this still about worst characters in FE:A or ralliers?

If it's still about worst chars (I'm probably getting hate for this, but eh... I'm used to it) these would be my picks:

(note: I'm talking about units, not personalities. That would be a WHOLE other list)

Gaius. Yes, Gaius. I apologize to any of you who have Gaius as their favourite character.

Reason why: His stat growths. For me, he only ever increased Skill and Speed and occasionally Strength, which is all well and good, but still having around 17 or so Defense AFTER skill grinding as an Assassin does not cut it, in my opinion. Here are Gaius' average stats I get per playthrough. Class is usually Assassin:

HP: 76, Str: 40, Mag. 20, Skl.48, Spd. 46, Lck. 22, Def. 15-18, Res. 8-11

When all other units are usually maxed out after Skill grinding. This is a real shame since I like Gaius as a character and his critical hit quotes and voice are badass in both japanese and english.

Ricken & Miriel. In a similar vein to Gaius, those two always get stat screwed for some reason. I don't know if I do something wrong, but Lissa, Brady or Laurent (ironic, isn't it) are usually better Sages in the end. Good thing I can't stand Ricken, but with Miriel it's a shame since some of her supports are downright hilarious.

Donnel: As mentioned by others, his base stats are total crap and it's a nightmare to increase them, even when using DLC. At least they increase quickly, but for me, even with Aptitude, he never maxed out Res as a Hero. And on harder difficulties, you have to go out of your way to even get the guy to join you. Just... urgh...

I made Gaius' section longer in order to appease his fans. I could continue going into detail, but all my complaints are about stats, so... yeah.

Some other characters that usually turn out inferior to others and prove to be a liability instead of an asset include:

Vaike, Panne, Libra, Anna and Cherche. That's about it, I think. Note that those last five did occasionally turn out good for me, hence why I listed them off like this. Sorry if the post is too long... :-)

Are you crazy I could go on for days on why Cherche is an amazing unit.

Are you crazy I could go on for days on why Cherche is an amazing unit.

Cherche does have her perks, and I like her as a unit, but I find that she gets stat-screwed quite often. I agree that she is a powerhouse if she gains stats, but... well, let's just say the RNG and I are arch-nemeses in any video game ever.

I then ground him up to Lv.10 on Spot Pass Cleric or Trobadour characters, like Nanna and Serra.

Grinding on lower difficulties makes him easy to use? What were you expecting?

Most of the complaints toward him cone from Lunatic(+) nogrind, where you can't do that.

let's just say the RNG and I are arch-nemeses in any video game ever.

Being RNG-screwable is not something that's unique to Cherche.

Being RNG-screwable is not something that's unique to Cherche.

I know. I meant it happens more frequently with her than with others (for some reason). Also, she wasn't really on my worst characters list to begin with. Those were Gaius, Ricken, Miriel and Donnel. Cherche just got a mention, because of the reasons I stated earlier.

I know. I meant it happens more frequently with her than with others (for some reason). Also, she wasn't really on my worst characters list to begin with. Those were Gaius, Ricken, Miriel and Donnel. Cherche just got a mention, because of the reasons I stated earlier.

Hopefully I didn't offend you. I have waifu bias for Cherche (and as a unit she really is absolutely amazing). :P:

Definitely Virion.

His range is decent, but ultimately useless once you have mages, and no good can come from archers at all, really, except getting Cordelia Bow-Breaker in the Bow Knight class, but that's actually from Mercenary...so useless entirely then, and that sentence was a waste of words. Sorry. :Soldier:

I dunno. Fred just wants defense to face tank easier and Str to put a bigger dent in the enemies to feed the other units. There aren't very many mages in the early game and the speed wouldn't help Fred since he is generally fast enough to not get doubled for a long time.

Conveniently enough, Fred supports Virion as well.

Virion's stats are meh, and stay that way fir a while unless he's lucky, but he's a bow user, which can be helpful in Lunatic+. Early on the Avatar has more important things to worry about, like Armsthrift.