Will there be avatars and waifus in this game? Avatar and waifu discussion. Waifus, the second coming.

Misses Elise-chan!

Waifus  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the return of waifus in this game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What about another self insert avatar?

• Yes
    • No

Lol hipsters, you mean other fans that have other options then you. I respect everyone's feelings, if they don't want to like the avatars or general series progress that's on them. A lot of people like things to stay the same but some how expect the games to keep selling.

Backhanded defending isn't really helping, saying "they are entitled to their opinion, but they are standing against progress".

Change isn't good or bad by default, some things can be for the better, and other for worse. One thing can be said about change, that the result is different, that's it, it doesn't mean its better or worse, only different.

Also if something is popular, doesn't mean it has to be good, the argument "argumentum ad populum". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, Weeabos are ~3 votes ahead, the old school fans are totally loosing right now. Like it matters.

Are you kidding? The shippers and "weeaboos" as you put it are the old school fans. Edited by Starman

Are you kidding? The shippers and "weeaboos" as you put it are the old school fans.

If you think so.

I don't consider myself a "weeaboo" for not debating over which fictional character I'd go on a date with, I'll rather keep being a.. gamer. :]

This is Fire Emblem, I'm in it purely for the strategy gameplay and the epic scenarios and storylines. Having memorable characters is great, but this really shouldn't be some sort of dating simulator..

Oh boy. Love me some Fire Emblem incest.
Sister => I'll do the pairing instantly for the lulz.
Mother => I'll do the pairing instantly for the evilz.

... Seriously thought, I would love to have the opportunity, I mean dat sweet Eltoshan/Lachesis-like drama ! But I don't think we will be able to do the pairing if it's incest.

Fire Emblem is popular now, as in, very popular, as in, must be both very stupid and politically correct popular.

It's like the SMT series, do you know about older Shin Megami Tensei ? Compare with present SMT.

They screwed my best pal Lucifer into a alien smug bastard. --'

Eh, I think people are making a bigger deal out of the whole "waifu" and MU thing than they should. I voted no for both, but having them wouldn't ruin the game completely for me. I think I could even like the concept of having an avatar if it is well done, and I have absolutely no problem with the romance/dating sim mechanics, as long as the rest of the games (maps, objectives, etc.) is good.

Backhanded defending isn't really helping, saying "they are entitled to their opinion, but they are standing against progress".

Change isn't good or bad by default, some things can be for the better, and other for worse. One thing can be said about change, that the result is different, that's it, it doesn't mean its better or worse, only different.

Also if something is popular, doesn't mean it has to be good, the argument "argumentum ad populum". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

I was fucking around in the first bit. I don't think they are actually against progress the progress they want to see just flows into keeping the same systems as previous games.

Change isn't good or bad by default indeed, a lot of times change ends up being worse. Personally I do think a lot of the changes made were improvements to the existing formula. They took steps back with online and with mission variety. I personally don't mind the kill all enemies objectives because generally unless I wasn't able to I always tried to do that in every Fire Emblem game to maximize experience. I think everything they added as a natural evolution of the series, it wasn't like they suddenly said "Here, now you play as a world war 2 solider in a FPS" then suddenly bring you back. The game built on what was already laid out and furthered it in a lot of areas. I don't think it is near as different as it is the same as other games in the series.

Were in total agreement on popularity, popularity doesn't mean anything is good. However, the fans matter and we are not the only fans. IS and Nintendo's job is to appeal to the majority as well as always trying to grab more of the market. I am a huge proponent of a hardcore mode that simply strips a lot of these features that people seem to not like away from the game and leave you with a more bare bones Fire Emblem game. I think that would allow people to not be upset that the changes in awakening for the most part are likely to stay staples.

I was fucking around in the first bit. I don't think they are actually against progress the progress they want to see just flows into keeping the same systems as previous games.

It that case I apologize for being an ass, although I wouldn't say this fanbase doesn't want change, since there have been quite a lot of that throughout the series, both minor and major, while maintaining the core formula.

Change isn't good or bad by default indeed, a lot of times change ends up being worse. Personally I do think a lot of the changes made were improvements to the existing formula. They took steps back with online and with mission variety. I personally don't mind the kill all enemies objectives because generally unless I wasn't able to I always tried to do that in every Fire Emblem game to maximize experience. I think everything they added as a natural evolution of the series, it wasn't like they suddenly said "Here, now you play as a world war 2 solider in a FPS" then suddenly bring you back. The game built on what was already laid out and furthered it in a lot of areas. I don't think it is near as different as it is the same as other games in the series.

This really depends, because I think they removed several things that could have been good even in awakening, like height advantage and disadvantage and ledges. And another thing I really missed was the overworld narrator, a third party, neutral story teller, could have really helped. I think we just have to accept we play the games for different reasons and have different views on them.

Were in total agreement on popularity, popularity doesn't mean anything is good. However, the fans matter and we are not the only fans. IS and Nintendo's job is to appeal to the majority as well as always trying to grab more of the market. I am a huge proponent of a hardcore mode that simply strips a lot of these features that people seem to not like away from the game and leave you with a more bare bones Fire Emblem game. I think that would allow people to not be upset that the changes in awakening for the most part are likely to stay staples.

This comes down to a few things, one, awakening wasn't necessarily a bad game on it's own, for many this was their first fe game, and this was the first time it came under their radar due to the amount of advertisement done (first time ever in my country I'm aware of, no, really, I nearly missed out on path of radiance cause I didn't know it even existed for quite some time), but when it comes to compare to the other games in the series, there was a lot left to be desired, for me at least, and also how poorly it tied into the games it was supposed to be a sequel to, especially when it gets things form the earlier games wrong.

Again, I'm not blaming people who played this as their first fe game and liked it, not even veterans, because it's not really a bad game, it depends on what you are looking for and how important the lore is for said player.

And with the thing that fans matter, yes, but now I can ask you, which are more important, the veterans you know are coming back, or the newcomers? ok, suspense questions don't really work in text but, anyway, if someone would answer one or the other, I would say they are wrong since the answer, for me at least, is both, while you do want to try to expand your audience, you also want to keep the veterans coming back for more.

I don't necessarily disagree with you there, but I have seen a lot of people going on about how you should only appeal to newcomers or veterans of a series.

Edited by that one person

Given what they've told us about the game so far, a time skip mechanic in a game where choice is supposed to have an important role could potentially be awesome. Especially if part of the game involves picking sides with one of the two armies and that ends up having a large effect on the second generation. So I'm all for marriage returning, though for me the marriage mechanic in FE4/13 has never been about the shipping but the added game play factor created through the combinations of children characters you could make. Otherwise Waifus/husbandos will always exist, marriage or not.

If the avatar is now the main lord and choices play a large role as a result, I'm all for the return of an avatar. Otherwise I kinda don't care. Curious how an avatar would fit into a two gen story if there was one.

@that one person

I actually totally agree with you. The games shouldn't be made for the new comers or the vets. I'm a vet, been playing the series since it launched in America. I think both should be appealed to hence my hardcore mode suggestion to fit vets that do care about all these advance systems.

Personally I never paid attention to most the systems in Fire Emblem games. When I first played the series the cut scenes were to long for my attention span so I would skip most and I really just enjoyed the play of the game. Then as years went on I got more and more into the games replayed everyone I could to see the stories. Right before awakening was my first hard mode run on Path of Radiance and I still am sure their are systems that allude me to this day. I just know that a lot more fans are like me as well. I think we have several levels of vets but I do think they have to focus on fun before how hard core they make it. I don't think the advance systems are what ever made the game fun but were the thing that brought the real depth in harder modes. I don't know for sure what should be brought back or taken away but I do want them to focus on adding instead of removing.

So long as marriage doesn't give super babies and is just for living happily ever after in the credits I'm all for it. As for the avatar, I'd like them to return with major balance changes, or even just make them like the FE7 one.

Given what they've told us about the game so far, a time skip mechanic in a game where choice is supposed to have an important role could potentially be awesome. Especially if part of the game involves picking sides with one of the two armies and that ends up having a large effect on the second generation. So I'm all for marriage returning, though for me the marriage mechanic in FE4/13 has never been about the shipping but the added game play factor created through the combinations of children characters you could make. Otherwise Waifus/husbandos will always exist, marriage or not.

If the avatar is now the main lord and choices play a large role as a result, I'm all for the return of an avatar. Otherwise I kinda don't care. Curious how an avatar would fit into a two gen story if there was one.

Probably just either use the avatar's son/daughter who looks mysteriously just like them, or just have them survive.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, and yes.

One of the reasons I was so attracted to Awakening was because of character customization. To be quite honest, Kamui in the trailer looks kinda like shit, so if he/she is the avatar I would be much happier knowing I can change him up.

Also, I do believe the waifu system is quite cheesy, but it definitely helped make Awakening very interesting. It made it feel as if I had some form of control over how Fire Emblem progressed and in which way it did.

One of the things to note, is that in the FE series hair color appears fairly significant. There also haven't been many characters with a white hair color, however Robin's default hair color is white, and Kamui's happens to be white as well.

Awakening was also many people's first FE, including mine. It is a bit difficult for me to believe they would take out systems that seemed to become a core part of what people identify Awakening with.

I actually like self-insert avatars, and I really hope they're a main character. It's better for my immersion, personally. And if I can't marry Marx, there'll be blood to pay!

I played Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stones first, but I personally prefer Awakening...

I don't see any problems with the Avatar. He/She is pretty much just like any other story character, except for the fact that you designed them.

I also don't see any problem with character marriage. (that's what Waifu means, right?) While I thought it was pretty cool to meet my Avatar's children in the game, I really hope that they don't have any time travel in this new game.

Yes and yeser. The latter being pretty much confirmed, I hope marrige and children (Geneology style, no more time travel for now,) would be nice. Also, Kamui appears unusually young for a lord, so it could be possible that there is one story as a child and one as an adult. Yay! But alas, that's probably unlikely.

You've basically got people who want to shove something they like (that you don't) down your face. People fawn over characters to the point where it's really out of place.

It also doesn't help that Awakening is many people's first game. Things like waifu wars happen and it sickens the longtime veterans. They worry that this would become the future of the series as a whole and that if they (IS) chose to change it back then immense backlash from new fans would ensue. (See FEDS after Tellius series, people mad about lack of shoving or Tellius's other innovations)

And then you've got the rabid fans who ship their avatar with the character they fawn over the most. They're madly in love with the character, blind from their glaring flaws and only caring for the fact that they're there and making nonsensical fantasies with them. (See Wank Hill) It's even worse when that's their first Fire Emblem.

At least there's a number of people here where that isn't the case. I can't really speak for everyone, but that's my thoughts on the situation.

tl:dr, Awakening turned the series into a dating sim.