Playable Soldiers/Halberdiers

Ambulz

Playable Soldiers/Halberdiers  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like playable Soldiers/Halberdiers to return?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  2. 2. Do you think they will?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Do you think they'll make a return? Could that character performing a Dual Guard in the teaser have been one or just a redesigned knight?

I'm personally indifferent on the subject. More class variety is always cool, but I wonder if their existence is made redundant because of knights as a lance-wielding footman class.

Edited by Ambulz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see them return, Nephenee was one of my favorite characters from FE9/10. And having a pure Lance user would be cool. I think the main problem would be how to branch it out from soldier. Because, if there is a soldier (and assuming there are branching classes like awakening) then from Soldier you promote to a Halberdier or a what? The other promotion class would be a hard one to make as a foot soldier with Lances/swords is outclassed by Paladins flat out, a lance/axe user is outclassed by Wyvern Lords, a Lance/staff user is unlikely (don't know what it would be called) and a lance/magic user would also be difficult on foot. Unless they have the class a mount (specifically thinking horse here) and made it into a "Dragoon" or something of that nature, then it would be difficult to make. And I don't see them splitting the tree into Lances only. Up one branch is a definite, but having both branches would be bad, I think.

I'm personally indifferent on the subject. More class variety is always cool, but I wonder if their existence is made redundant because of knights as a lance-wielding footman class.

I don't think soldiers will be redundant; I see them as a lighter knight. Think of mercenaries and myrmidons; they're both sword-wielding but myrmidons are definitely faster.

I would like to see them return, Nephenee was one of my favorite characters from FE9/10. And having a pure Lance user would be cool. I think the main problem would be how to branch it out from soldier. Because, if there is a soldier (and assuming there are branching classes like awakening) then from Soldier you promote to a Halberdier or a what? The other promotion class would be a hard one to make as a foot soldier with Lances/swords is outclassed by Paladins flat out, a lance/axe user is outclassed by Wyvern Lords, a Lance/staff user is unlikely (don't know what it would be called) and a lance/magic user would also be difficult on foot. Unless they have the class a mount (specifically thinking horse here) and made it into a "Dragoon" or something of that nature, then it would be difficult to make. And I don't see them splitting the tree into Lances only. Up one branch is a definite, but having both branches would be bad, I think.

You could have the branching promotion for the Soldier be Halberdier/Sentinel and General; it's not uncommon to see promotions overlap as we see with Awakening.

When I think of dragoons... I can't help but think of guns since dragoons in history have been depicted with swords + rifles/pistols. Not sure how well that will fit with the medieval setting of FE.

Edited by ???

Yes!! Nephenee is awesome. I'm 99% sure the unit in the trailer is in fact a playable soldier so I'm excited to use her. I'm not sure what the other promotion could be, maybe just generals, or a new class with the bride's set of weapons.

I was thinking Soldiers could promote into either Halberdier or into a Paladin/General. The Halberdier class could probably stay strictly lance-users, like Swordmasters are to swords as opposed to Assassins gaining bows.

While I would like for Soldiers/Halberdiers to return, the character we see in the trailer looks like a Knight, in fact she looks a lot like Kjelle and seems to heavily armored compared to heavily armored to be a soldier.

Halberdiers are my favorite units so I would love them to return.. But I don't see it happening. Haven't been in the last what... 3 games? Sure there's the generic soldiers that are enemies. And Villagers, which just don't count. No idea why they haven't been included, but the developers must have some kind of reason.

I would love it if they return,they were one of my favorite classes in PoR/RD.

I think the halberdier could get a name change though,since they don't necessarily use halberds(in fact I think the halberd is an axe-type weapon,meaning that they can't even use halberds),maybe sentinel could become the 2nd-tier-upgrade instead?

However I dunno if they'll actually make a return.

On the one hand they are rarely seen as playable units in any fire emblem game.

On the other hand there were many people who were disappointed about the lack of playable soldiers in awakening so hopefully they heard about that.

Yes and maybe. Not an option so I put yes, but that's really just my being optimistic. I'm not sure if we'll see Soldiers return, but I really hope they do. And they could always tone down Paladins or give better skills to the unmounted units to make the difference worth it if they wanted a spear/X option. Though could do lance/bow, kind of unique, not sure what to call it.

It would be really amusing if Soldier was the promotion to Villager, and got some nifty skills of its own (here's hoping for T3 classes, so that Halberdiers can be worked in). :P:

Yes!! Nephenee is awesome. I'm 99% sure the unit in the trailer is in fact a playable soldier so I'm excited to use her. I'm not sure what the other promotion could be, maybe just generals, or a new class with the bride's set of weapons.

yes. nehphenee was always one of my favorite characters.

Nephenenee was a freakin boss. For the love of god please bring back soldiers/halbediers.

While I would love for them to return,I don't see it happening.

I don't see why not they've got to add something to differentiate it from Awakening. You already know the basic role/mechanics of the class and can take skills from PoR and RD. I don't see it being all that hard to do. The hardest thing would be character modeling but you can argue that for every unit.

No, I wouldn't like them to return. (Yes I am that only no). I have nothing against them, I'm just not particularly excited for them. And if I had a choice, I would exclude it.

But do I think they will return? Probably, judging by that pink girl in the trailer. It could just be a redesign of the knight, but we'll see later.

The Eastern side especially could have Yari infantry and it would fit in fine, so I'd say it's more likely than Awakening but, maybe not. I like Soldiers, it'd be cool to see them back.