Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

Yeah I turning mine into a ragefest gaiden. Shit just keep breaking when I try to make progress. Not going to ask for another week because I have been technically been working on this a few months earlier (it was just maps but still).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the first Ragefest IV submission...

Out of all the submissions I've played in this contest so far, I think this one hinges the least on cheap traps and exploits.

:]

Unless you meant out of all the RF submissions ever rather than just the submissions in IV, in which case, that sounds really interesting

Either way, what I'm trying to say is, you don't need lots of time to make a quality hack.

this is the part where i say that your hack is not a good example of this

I'd like to agree with you here, RandomSwordmaster.

But I've made two hacks in 5 days, one was so horrible it never got its own thread or finished for that matter, and the other is Binding Blade +, which put bluntly does not deserve the + in its title.

Edited by MCProductions

Well I mean... I'd like to point out that Matthew's Nightmare was Cedar Nyx's first hack ever (I think), and that one won Ragefest 1.

:]

Unless you meant out of all the RF submissions ever rather than just the submissions in IV, in which case, that sounds really interesting

Yes. I do mean out of all RF submissions ever. Not one comes to mind that uses cheap tricks less than this one. It's not the hardest submission out of all of them, but it's the most fair while still being challenging.

I honestly think that once people see it, they'll want to play it themselves.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I was referring more to the one week time limit thing instead of being his first hack tho. Man, do I wish I could take BB+ back tho

In my experience, making a hack in one week generally, but not always, causes it to suck.

I was referring more to the one week time limit thing instead of being his first hack tho. Man, do I wish I could take BB+ back tho

In my experience, making a hack in one week generally, but not always, causes it to suck.

Oh, I see. =X

I'd like to apologize to everyone about not getting the first submission up today. While I was editing the footage, I realized "Holy cow, I'm sleepy", and took a nap. I have work early tomorrow, so I kinda have to go to bed very soon too. So in the place of the submission footage, I'm gonna upload Chapter 10 of FE3 Book 1.

After tomorrow's work shift, I have three days off. I'm gonna make it a point to record as many submissions as possible. So far, we have four submissions in total, and we should be getting more soon.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Alright, I already have a good chunk of my submission, I've been working basically all day, everyday minus a few hours of sleep.

But I do have some questions. Hopefully they can be answered soon, as that will help me improve my submission (or even make it legit if I overlooked anything).

1) I'm creating my submission through FEXP, which as far as I know has a very crappy save system (suspending, then copying the suspend file to another location or renaming it). Are there any new scripts for saves that I'm just out of the loop of? I would greatly appreciate any help here. xD

2) "One chapter only. Chaining multiple maps together is allowed however." --- At what point is it considered a separate chapter? I can move units from one map to another with the same victory condition and remaining health, but the turn count still goes down to 1 again. Does that count as "chaining maps"?

3) "Must be beatable with 3 save states maximum." --- Can we decide where these save states will be, or is that up to you, as the player?

Edited by Avraxas

Alright, I already have a good chunk of my submission, I've been working basically all day, everyday minus a few hours of sleep.

But I do have some questions. Hopefully they can be answered soon, as that will help me improve my submission (or even make it legit if I overlooked anything).

1) I'm creating my submission through FEXP, which as far as I know has a very crappy save system (suspending, then copying the suspend file to another location or renaming it). Are there any new scripts for saves that I'm just out of the loop of? I would greatly appreciate any help here. xD

2) "One chapter only. Chaining multiple maps together is allowed however." --- At what point is it considered a separate chapter? I can move units from one map to another with the same victory condition and remaining health, but the turn count still goes down to 1 again. Does that count as "chaining maps"?

3) "Must be beatable with 3 save states maximum." --- Can we decide where these save states will be, or is that up to you, as the player?

Talk about dedication

1) I'm creating my submission through FEXP, which as far as I know has a very crappy save system (suspending, then copying the suspend file to another location or renaming it). Are there any new scripts for saves that I'm just out of the loop of? I would greatly appreciate any help here.

The one in Generic War. You can download it, rip the files from it, and then copy the save system.

Otherwise, nope.

Boop

ragefest_iv_by_feraligono-d925ycy.png

Oh, you used that one art style I see in a lot of touhou stuff. I think it's called Walfas or something?

Either way, that looks pretty good. It follows the description relatively closely, and you managed to capture what my room mostly looks like too. Purple walls... and empty... ;-;

I think my only complaint would be Reisen. She doesn't look like she's watching me or anything. I think if she were standing beside me and looking at the scene while laughing, that'd be better. Like what BillyRoflCopter did. And her hair's not ankle length

The text you used for the title is pretty awesome. It's all janky and square and easy to read.

So yeah, I think I'll use this if you're okay with it. Also, cute Patchouli avatar.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh, you used that one art style I see in a lot of touhou stuff. I think it's called Walfas or something?

Either way, that looks pretty good. It follows the description relatively closely, and you managed to capture what my room mostly looks like too. Purple walls... and empty... ;-;

I think my only complaint would be Reisen. She doesn't look like she's watching me or anything. I think if she were standing beside me and looking at the scene while laughing, that'd be better. Like what BillyRoflCopter did. And her hair's not ankle length

The text you used for the title is pretty awesome. It's all janky and square and easy to read.

So yeah, I think I'll use this if you're okay with it. Also, cute Patchouli avatar.

I'm glad that you liked it - and of course you can use it.

I'm even fine with you using another banner instead if you get a better one. It was simply fun to do this ;3

Aye. Thanks, Feraligono!

In other news, I've once again delayed on editing the first submission. I'm having trouble finding the best way to edit it so that there is as little fat as possible. That and... I had a tough day at work, a headache, and for some reason, am still kinda sleepy, perhaps because I still managed to get little sleep despite the nap I took yesterday.

On top of that, I kind of want to make the Ragefest IV videos have a bit of a better presentation than previous entries. What I mean is... uh... I wanna make a theme song for Ragefest that'll serve as the intro theme for each submission.

So yeah. I guess look forward to that.

On top of that, I kind of want to make the Ragefest IV videos have a bit of a better presentation than previous entries. What I mean is... uh... I wanna make a theme song for Ragefest that'll serve as the intro theme for each submission.

When you do, may I suggest releasing a midi so people can put the song in their entries next Ragefest? 'Cause I'd put that shit everywhere [shot]

When you do, may I suggest releasing a midi so people can put the song in their entries next Ragefest? 'Cause I'd put that shit everywhere [shot]

I depends if I actually manage to make it or not, but yes, definitely.

Right now, I'm sort of struggling with the tune because I'm extremely self conscious of my composition habits. I tend to use similar sounding chord progressions, and when I try to deviate, the song tends to sound bad. I'm trying to avoid those, but then that leaves me with few ideas. What's really annoying is that the bloody tune sounds way too similar to Stone Henge by Spinal Tap.

This is what I have so far. Most likely gonna get scrapped...

So yeah... I need to really push myself to be more imaginative if I want this theme to stick with people, while also being happy with it myself.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

The real problem is that a soft piano lullaby doesn't fit the hardcore rage of a ragefest. You need something more like the song here.

I always use pianos for work in progress stuff, then I change the instruments around once I've made enough progress.

That said... perhaps using the heavy metal rock out guitars of death right away will help with the inspiration problems...

I'm tired as heck right now though, so maybe tomorrow. >_<

In other news, I've once again delayed on editing the first submission. I'm having trouble finding the best way to edit it so that there is as little fat as possible. That and... I had a tough day at work, a headache, and for some reason, am still kinda sleepy, perhaps because I still managed to get little sleep despite the nap I took yesterday.

I'm a little late at saying it but that sounds very annoying. Hope you are well now (or soon)