Does the amount of fanservice bother you?

Chiki

565 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you?

I really have to wonder if the people who get offended by Camilla's outfit have any social interactions with females at all.

During 100 degree weather, I see girls wearing shorts as short as panties with crop tops or tank tops, and nobody bats an eye at them for the most part.

It's extremely commonplace.

And if it's simply because "well I think a wyvern rider should wear more clothes," I simply find that reasoning silly and sometimes hypocritical as well (when other girls wearing more revealing clothes are mentioned yet it is "justified" for them depending on their class).

2010-2020 is the decade of the "Yo we like to be offended by something that doesn't really affect us" decade lol

Personally fanservice is a small issue I guess, my only issue with that is what the people who haven't played FE at all think(Cause I kinda sorta care about what other people think about the series even though I shouldn't)

The big issue to me is allowing incest with your Hoshido family members but hopefully that's not true and also it's optional even if it is but still sorta bugs me :<

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big issue to me is allowing incest with your Hoshido family members but hopefully that's not true and also it's optional even if it is but still sorta bugs me :<

It's true. It's optional, so it's okay, right? Just like how you said "like to be offended by something that doesn't really affect us".

Edited by Tryhard

You seem to imply that the mere mention of sex is a juvenile thing. On the contrary, the emergence of love in war can be excellently handled, and I will argue that it's perfectly mature and in line with Fe4's story. The specific support you seem to be referring to ends with the implicit understanding that they will never see each other again. This is coming from the most lighthearted character in the game at an emotional climax in the story, so it's perfectly in line with the rest of Fe4's tone.

On the flipside, what does being able to touch Tharja's breasts add to Fates? Do I get a deeper understanding of Tharja by doing this?

I'm not sure why you seem to think the fanservice is strictly tied to "optional" content. Is having to watch this optional? I suppose if I were thick I could argue that it's optional in the sense that you don't have to look at the screen when this comes up, but really. The "its optional" argument requires a ridiculous amount of mental gymnastics to take seriously that it isn't even worth acknowledging.

Please try not to take criticisms of a game personally, it's not intended as such.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Actually, people who love fanservice tend to be the ones who are virgins. :P

This is all explained by the fact that a lot of FE players are virgins. A lot of people who love fanservice are horny virgins, and I think just about all the people whining about the fanservice are prudes.

Lol, just like they did with Awakening. I swear I see that game get called a waifu simulator or a shipping simulator too many times, while it's a (sorta) strategy game mixed with eugenics and maths, maths, maths.

One online friend of mine says the new one is Pokèmon but with waifus, and you need to buy both versions to get all the waifus.

It's humiliating.

Oh my god, this is seriously the best "description" of the game I've read so far.

Also, I just watched one of the skinship videos and they look so over the top and ridiculious that I cant't take them seriously. For Naga's sake they sake they look like the animators took the Charactermodels and transfered them straight to Pokemonamie.

Well, the only thing that really bothers me now is the incest, which I will pretend does not exist.

Edited by Bman

I'm 99% sure the incest will be gone by the time it gets over here. It will probably stop at A support (or even A+ support) since it also spoils a huge plot point.

The face-rubbing, well, here's hoping it gets toned down a lot, if not eliminated altogether.

If those two things are taken care of, then I am 100% down with the game's fanservice. Even with those things, I am about 60% down with it. I agree it is excessive for Nintendo, but really, is it excessive if this were another game series?

actually yeah I should just link this

This is really the only "fanservice" I have a problem with, because you're taking a story scene and framing it in the most male-gazey way possible.

Unless Marx's confrontation starts with him walking down some stairs with lingering ass and crotch shots, we have a problem here.

Yeah ok I'll admit that the level of sexual fanservice is also getting kinda high. I could mostly ignore Camilla's outfit before, but not so much when the camera literally zooms in on her ass and tits before showing her face.

It's true. It's optional, so it's okay, right? Just like how you said "like to be offended by something that doesn't really affect us".

I'm not offended by the incest I'm just grossed out by it

Examples, please.

edit: let's be clear how stark the tonal shifts in this game are. This is a game that contemplates heavy issues. This game is supposed to be more heavy than say, Luminous Arc 2 "if we work together we can triumph over anything!" level of serious.

Uh, have you played the game to see if it became less serious because of the fanservice? I know a few people who say the story is not only better than Awakening, but that it is darker and sadder as well.

Fanservice doesn't conflict with the quality of a game's story. It conflicts with mood and immersion to the game. Can't a story be serious even with fanservice? Game of Thrones (the series) has lots of it, while retaining a consistent, dark story.

I'm not offended by the incest I'm just grossed out by it

I don't see any difference between same sex marriage and incest. Why is the former okay and the latter not okay?

Edited by Rapier

This is really the only "fanservice" I have a problem with, because you're taking a story scene and framing it in the most male-gazey way possible.

Unless Marx's confrontation starts with him walking down some stairs with lingering ass and crotch shots, we have a problem here.

Yeah, I agree that this is the only fanservice that bothers me. =_=

I'm not sure if I just became used to this due to being exposed to otaku and anime culture through my friends and the internet... but I honestly don't care. Does the fanservice gross me out at times? Depends. Some of them are honestly "WTF is this?!", while some are just absolutely hilarious. Camilla's and Charlotte's outfits don't bother me, the skinshiping is hilarious (but somewhat creepy... I prefer reading the lines), the hot spring is cultural, so you shouldn't be complaining about it.

However, I find it stupid when people say fanservice will ruin the story and destroys character integrity. What? The story and the fanservice parts do not affect each other whatsoever, plenty forms of media have included fanservice and kept an amazing story that took itself seriously. The story also seems to be a main aspect of advertising and the game (it was a pretty major part of the Iwata Asks interview with the Fates team), so there's no way they'll sacrifice story for the sake fanservice that will only appeal to a small audience. As for the option to incest siblings... you guys act like this is the first time situations like this ever happened. This is an option. An option out of many, many, in-game choices. In previous games there were options to have incest as well, but they are in the same situation as this. They were a single option out of many. If incest was the only option, then you would have the right to be mad, but it isn't.

But yeah, that's the only thing I've seen that's actually bothered me and didn't make me burst out laughing.

Uh, have you played the game to see if it became less serious because of the fanservice? I know a few people who say the story is not only better than Awakening, but that it is darker and sadder as well.

Fanservice doesn't conflict with the quality of a game's story. It conflicts with mood and immersion to the game. Can't a story be serious even with fanservice? Game of Thrones (the series) has lots of it, while retaining a consistent, dark story.

I don't see any difference between same sex marriage and incest. Why is the former okay and the latter not okay?

Gay marriages don't result in retard mangle babies.

Frankly though, since there's no real incest here in the game, it's whatever.

Edited by GoldenMapleLeaf

I wasn't sure I wanted to chime in, since I generally avoid release-day mess, but ... I couldn't resist.

Honestly, I'm just going to reiterate what others have said: the argument that "[insert whatever] is optional" doesn't really change anything. Healing units are also optional, right? And besides, (to me) the annoying thing about excessive fanservice is the inclusion, not the fact that I'm "enjoying" it. Dev time should have been put somewhere else, I really think.

So yeah, the fanservice DOES bother me. If you want people to ogle Camilla, fine. But don't force everybody to do it, please.

Funny, the incest doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but if it's completely consensual I'm not bothered by its inclusion (yes, I do have a sibling).

Chiki, I thought you wanted sex scenes in the game, anyway?

Oh yeah, totally, if it's tasteful. I'd be okay with putting stuff like nipples and penises into the game as long as it was done well.

We have nude scenes in Hollywood movies, why not in video games? Instead of having stuff like an Angelina Jolie nude scene, we could have a Hana nude scene.

It's not that bad and you know it.

It is.

I can't speak super in depth for Game of Thrones, but from what I gleaned about the show from pure osmosis, claiming that Game of Thrones' sex scenes are fanservice seem to be laughable. Horrific sexual assault and rape scenes are fanservice now? Second, GoT's sex scenes are not there to be purely ogled by the watcher - they serve the story.

When I say fanservice, I'm talking about lingering ass + boob shots, the ability to undress every character down to their underwear, rubbing people's faces and tits, lesbian relationship between male players' favorite female character and the self insert, etc etc.

Fanservice directly affects a story's tone. Ergo, it directly affects the story. You're only furthering my point by claiming that people say the game is meant to be taken seriously. Contrast that with the ample sexual pandering, and you've got ridiculously jarring tonal shifts that utterly destroy immersion.

For example, right after you fight your opposite family, a moment of heavy betrayal, you unlock mycastle and the ability to rub people's faces.

When Camila comes over to your army, the game's camera makes an effort to linger on her ass and boobs. What does this add?

The game's filled to the brim with pandering fanservice. To then expect us to then take the supposedly grimdark story seriously is an insulting joke.

Edited by Constable Reggie

because real women are way better than cartoons lol

Masanobu Sato, the world champion of masturbation, put it best:

"A real female, of course, smells, and is dirty... so we have this anime; isn't it clean and pretty?"

There is such a thing as tonal consistency. If a story's in the throes of a particularly dark event, it absolutely messes with the pacing if Kamui takes a break from contemplating deadly ramifications to go giggling off to his room, eager to spend time poking his fawning little sister's face for awhile. Really that's a weird thing to do at any juncture, but I digress...

Fanservice definitely has the potential to take away from the seriousness of the plot. It's happened all over the place in anime land -- great story concepts getting completely overpowered by otaku genre tropes where they weren't meant to be. But they're there, because it sells better that way.

The fact that people keep saying this is one of the darkest and saddest stories yet makes it even more difficult to reconcile the inclusion of all these straight-outta-echi elements. That's not to say a story can't be good in spite of its discordant recipe full of boob-zooms and oniichan-induced blushes, because good stories have certainly survived such things before, but the key phrase there is... "in spite of." I'd rather Fire Emblem's story not be playing around with subjects that it essentially has to ignore to tell the serious story it wants to tell. The more cohesive and consistent a game is, the better it is in my opinion.

Edited by Aekenon