General US Politics

Ansem

Problem is I only see the most egregious of things getting blocked. If he tries to get anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, anti-immigration and other such things through, I doubt the GOP will try and oppose it.

He'll probably be anti-immigration, but I feel like trump isn't as against LGBT rights and abortion as the other GOP candidates we've had throughout the years.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for some clarification of someone who has been trying to get his wife in to the US through legal immigration, yes, trump makes me nervous.

I ended up not voting, because I could not in good conscience vote for either. Either winner would take the next four years of our lives, I wasn't giving either my Tuesday night.

I'm not really into politics, but I'm sure the president doesn't have all the powers, right?

This is democracy, not dictatorship.

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The president has multiple checks on his power.

There's literally no reason to live without gay marriage. I'd rather kill myself for the good of my people that have any regressive anti-LGBT legislature passed.

This is a dark day for my proud and strong community. I can only look back at the traitors who voted for Trump in our community, and I guarantee many other minority groups are doing the same thing.

The Supreme Court already struck down Gay Marriage bans. They are very hesitant to go against precedent.

He'll probably be anti-immigration, but I feel like trump isn't as against LGBT rights and abortion as the other GOP candidates we've had throughout the years.

His VP is an advocate for conversion therapy and Trump has taken an anti-abortion stance, with the exception of life-threatening pregnancies or rape. Besides, being better than other GOP candidates in these instances is not a high-set bar.

He isn't against LGBT-rights, but he changed stance on abortion to fit the alt-right movement.

You know how some people complained a lot when Obama was in office(for whatever reason they could find)?

I have a feeling its not gonna compare to the complaints with Trump!

(Now people are REALLY gonna have a reason to complain!)

That's the challenge, and joy, of living in a constitutional republic. As long as we live peacefully, we have the right to live as we choose, and we celebrate differences no matter how silly or disagreeable.

They may vote to do so; and if 51/49 decides one way, you now see the dangers of democracy, which the US is not supposed to be.

But still; the supreme court has already sad marriage bans are unconstitutional, I believe, so, yeah. I don't understand completely the way others live, but instead of trying to say anyone who voted for trump was a white bigot, I dunno, try being as compassionate as you want them to be?

It's all about US in the U.S. I believe in what makes this country great, and that's freedom. Trump or Hillary could have won, they are not my leaders. I am.

Except people don't (and more people may not) have the right to live as they choose. It's peaceful only as long as you go with the herd.

And even that may not be the case; Brexit saw a dramatic increase in racial attacks on people who were doing nothing other than daring to exist with a non-majority nationality (I nearly said skin color, but many of the people attacked have been Polish people and other white Europeans).

It's all very well to talk of compassion when you're not feeling so threatened that suicide is looking like a legitimate answer.

Except people don't (and more people may not) have the right to live as they choose. It's peaceful only as long as you go with the herd.

And even that may not be the case; Brexit saw a dramatic increase in racial attacks on people who were doing nothing other than daring to exist with a non-majority nationality (I nearly said skin color, but many of the people attacked have been Polish people and other white Europeans).

It's all very well to talk of compassion when you're not feeling so threatened that suicide is looking like a legitimate answer.

All I took from that was, I'm an ***hole because I'm personally compassionate, because I'm over privileged and my way of life isn't threatened.

I'm against the majority of the herd on most things, and I live peacefully by keeping to myself and avoiding forcing my lifestyle on others. That's how I get by. If living peacefully is wrong, sue me.

All I took from that was, I'm an ***hole because I'm personally compassionate, because I'm over privileged and my way of life isn't threatened.

I'm against the majority of the herd on most things, and I live peacefully by keeping to myself and avoiding forcing my lifestyle on others. That's how I get by. If living peacefully is wrong, sue me.

You're not an arsehole, I just think you're severely downplaying what a Trump presidency represents for minorities.

Which is fine! And you said you didn't vote.

There's a definite difference between passively disagreeing with and actively opposing other people's lifestyles. I really believe a Trump-led U.S. presidency could do the latter.

I will 100% force my lifestyle on others. I haven't come out as gay or atheist irl, but you can be damned sure I'll let everyone around me know how much I hate them. I will force myself onto them until they realize that I cannot be silenced. I will stand strong even as the heteronormativity and assumptions try to break me down.

I've actively cut all Trump voters that I know out of my life. Right now, that includes getting into a verbal argument with my stepdad and unfollowing all Trump supporting friends on social media.

Just speaking the truth, honestly. I dont hate Americans at all, I like them in fact. They are hilarious.

It's one thing to have that opinion. It's another to bring it up, in a thread dedicated to American politics. This isn't where you belong. Get out.

You're not an arsehole, I just think you're severely downplaying what a Trump presidency represents for minorities.

Believe it or not, I don't honestly believe that most white people are oppressive and hateful. There may be more examples due to a larger sample pool, but just because one guy in the government is a racist, we have 100 in the senate and 435 in the house, +7 supreme court judges. Not all are great, but c'mon, he can think whatever he likes, passing it as a law is another thing entirely.

Which is fine! And you said you didn't vote.

There's a definite difference between passively disagreeing with and actively opposing other people's lifestyles. I really believe a Trump-led U.S. presidency could do the latter.

I don't think so. Almost 50% of the country didn't vote for him, and I bet a good chunk voted for reasons other than "muh straight male whiteness". Let's not pretend that Hillary was really a good option. Like, at all.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

I will 100% force my lifestyle on others. ... you can be damned sure I'll let everyone around me know how much I hate them. I will force myself onto them until they realize that I cannot be silenced.

Isn't this basically what Trump was trying to do?

And isn't that the problem people have with him?

But you are the one who ask whether I hate Americans or not, no?

You answered. I do applaud your honesty, but being a dick to the American populace is not cool in a thread dedicated to their political process. That's textbook trolling. . .so you can either leave of your own volition, or I can give you a mod boot. I'd rather you do the former, so I can go back to reading this thread (and maybe find time for dinner).

well the way I'm seeing it now is we either

have a terrible economy for the next few years

or

go to war with Russia because we made Syria a no fly zone and shot down a Russian plane

anyways

Believe it or not, I don't honestly believe that most white people are oppressive and hateful. There may be more examples due to a larger sample pool, but just because one guy in the government is a racist, we have 100 in the senate and 535 in the congress, +7 supreme court judges. Not all are great, but c'mon, he can think whatever he likes, passing it as a law is another thing entirely.

But the problem is that it isn't just those people. It's that the majority of the people living in this country were willing to vote in a man of his character. The majority of this country condones his views, with very clear racial and gender divides. Think about that.

well the way I'm seeing it now is we either

have a terrible economy for the next few years

or

go to war with Russia because we made Syria a no fly zone and shot down a Russian plane

I dunno, Trump is pro-Putin and anti-NATO isn't he?