Phoenix Mode

PuffPuff

Phoenix Mode  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of it?

• Good
    • Bad
    • I Don't Care

Things are pretty bad when even the player self-insert gets an awful looking hole in her tights just so that the camera can expose her underwear when she is killing people. This is a massive pain because I usually prefer playing as female Avatars.

Edit: But whatever, this line of discussion has nothing to do with Phoenix mode. Phoenix mode is selectable before the game even starts. There is no such things as a mode with different models, portraits and cutscenes that one can select.

There is nothing wrong with allowing the player to set the guidelines for their adventure. Quite frankly, we should be given far more options in that regard.

But I am disappointed that instead of trying to find ways to help new players getting into the game like they did in the past with things like replacement units, IS instead dodges the issue of accessibility entirely by having newcomers play an entirely different game altogether.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, about the panties thing, that's just Japan being Japan. Seriously, some of the concept art for Feena and Sylvia are just as bad as the armor designs for 3DS FE, and if you don't want to see the panties, use map animations.

No, they most certainly are not. You do realize that Feena and Sylvia are not armored knights, right?

Every previous FE game so far has offered in-battle animations where the characters who actually bother to wear armor don't make an exception for their groin. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for out of Fates. If the ridiculous outfits were an option like Phoenix Mode rather than an automatic part of battle animations and non-battle conversations, I think there would be a lot fewer complaints. But while the devs had the decency to make Phoenix Mode only relevant if you actually want it, that's not the case for the outfits.

Nohr has no grinding allowed without buying dlc. I'd say it was added so people wouldn't have to restart the entire game because they didn't level or use the right units.

Edited by zerosabers

I feel a little bad for derailing the thread.

While battle panties are worth complaining about, it's unrelated to my central point, that adding a hypercasual mode invites a playerbase that encourages the inclusion of side features which I don't think are good for the series. You might think things like shipping are totally optional and don't affect your game, but they actually do. Characters are reduced to fetishes and gimmicks, all male/female supports of non-sibling, non-parents/children must now end in awkward romance and there is a large increase in player worship.

Nohr has no grinding allowed without buying dlc. I'd say it was added so people wouldn't have to restart the entire game because they didn't level or use the right units.

Most games didn't have grinding so I don't see why we need grinding or phoenix mode now to let the game be fun.

Edited by NekoKnight

Isn't Fates likely to be rated M though given the CERO 15 rating, and some of the... recent discoveries.

It's become something of a running joke around here that half the reason the localization is taking so long is because of how much content is being censored/removed.

There's no way NOA would allow an M rating; there has never been a 1st-party Nintendo game rated M/Pegi 16. Plus, if it was rated that, it would probably harm sales more than help them.

Plus, some fairly dirty stuff can still be in a T rated game.

It isn't about making the game fun, adding phoenix was so people who suck at the game can finish Nohr if they get stuck because they used the wrong units.

Better solution: make skirmishes available on Nohr Casual, just not Nohr Classic. There should really already be a way to get skirmishes on completed Nohr files for postgame purposes, anyway.

Isn't Fates likely to be rated M though given the CERO 15 rating, and some of the... recent discoveries.

Trust me, there has been games with way more mature content than Fates, but still got a T rating, so it's unlikely that the game will have a M rating.

^You can thru Amiibo and My Castle battles, tho they don't give exp

I agree with Othin's solution, tho I feel Phoenix will be useful for support grinding.

Support grinding shouldn't ever be a thing. Repetitive and mindless tasks like this are a job for a robot, not for a human being in their valuable leisure time.

What they could do is to automatically unlock all supports if one manages to beat the game 3 times or something. Or they could simply give the player the option to unlock them all whenever they want.

Edited by BrightBow

You are frankly dumb to vote bad. It does not affect you because it is optional, and it actually helps gameplay because the developers can make maps harder without worrying that the casual player cannot finish their content. Do you think it's a coincidence that Radiant Dawn is one of the hardest normal modes in the franchise, while also giving you a ton of near-invincible units?

This isn't about Phoenix Mode so much as Casual Mode, but I do wish revives were more of a thing. Maybe like five of them available throughout the main story, and not just at the end, either. I'd enjoy tough maps a lot more if the motivation to keep all my characters alive came from a significant cost of ingame resources to bringing them back, so that I wouldn't feel compelled to reset but it would still be a serious concern worth taking considerable effort to avoid. I imagine I'd still reset on most character deaths in that case to save the revives for where I'd really need them, but they'd be an option for when things go wrong all the way at the end of a long and unpleasant chapter, turning it into a cost in the form of a valuable ingame resource rather than in the form of requiring you to sink a ton of real-life time doing the same thing all over again.

I voted for "I don't care" because I don't think it's bad, but I wouldn't necessarily call it good either ?

Maybe nice and optional, but I feel like people would miss out on the fun of the old games if they can get through a map without resetting lol

I personally become very disappointed if I can make it through a chapter without resetting even once ; u ;

Casual's already a huge step down from Classic (in terms of gameplay in general, not enjoyment !!) and Pheonix is a bit...much imo

It's useful for speedruns though, I guess ?

All in all, wouldn't call it bad since it doesn't affect my personal gameplay if I don't use it,

but I can't see myself ever doing pheonix mode in the future ~

I think of it as sort of an infinite life cheat code, which... a good portion of games have. You can dick around with it but it probably gets boring after awhile.

Hence why I don't care very much about it, compared to some of the other things.

You are frankly dumb to vote bad. It does not affect you because it is optional, and it actually helps gameplay because the developers can make maps harder without worrying that the casual player cannot finish their content. Do you think it's a coincidence that Radiant Dawn is one of the hardest normal modes in the franchise, while also giving you a ton of near-invincible units?

Okay, I can understand not agreeing with those that don't like Phoenix mode, but to call them dumb? Now THAT is stupid. It's perfectly okay to state why you think Phoenix is good, but don't go and insult those that have a different opinion than you. It's doing stuff like this that helps cause those huge flame wars we saw on previous threads regarding Phoenix and Casual.

Also go ahead and call me a hypocrite for insulting someone for insulting people, I don't care.

^The only thing hypocritical about what you said above is that you said the word hypocrite in a sentence. I know this makes absolutely no sense

If your a hypocrite, Sage, then so am I, since I agree with you completely

The mode is a strange addition, considering its only allowed on normal mode to ease people in, casual already exists and can be played on all modes.

However It may help people so -shrugs- peoples choice.

I still remember my very thread with the exact same name, ohhh boy it got heated.

Great for support log grinding and blitzing the game. I plan to play the Conquest and Birthright routes in Normal Phoenix and then play the neutral route on high difficulties with Classic mode.

I personally don't see anything bad about Phoenix mode as long as it is not dependent to clear certain chapters. The moment that game design makes it nigh impossible or based on RNG luck as the determining factor, the developers have monumentally fucked up. The key point is that no map should ever be made with Phoenix mode in mind, otherwise it shits all over Fire Emblem's history.

On that note, I remember getting Blazing Sword after seeing the FE7 commercial back in 2003, I was 9 years old. I remember looking at the back of the box, seeing Hector in the middle of his attack and thinking, "Wow!, Hector's a sorcerer, cool!." and then by Victory or Death, barely having less than 10 characters up to par, everything else was dead or underleveled. Eliwood was total shit because I never leveled him before his autopromotion. Needless to say, I was a colossal idiot, now if Phoenix mode was present back then, I would have been more interested in playing the game, at that point it got too hard and then I lost the game along with my SP. I only managed to beat the game because my friend let me borrow his after I got him into the series.

Tldr, Phoenix mode is a wonderful addition for young newcomers into the series, looking back now, all the games from 7 and onwards are relatively beatable without much frustration on Hard, but as a young kid with no experience with rpgs, I can see how difficult it was to get into fire emblem. Honestly, the mage, pegasus, cleric and cavalier all at once fascinated my young mind and was partially why I stuck with the series at such a young age.

I really think Phoenix mode is a nice addition. It's completely optional, so those who do not wish to play it can play casual or classic.

Even though I personally won't play Phoenix Mode, I think it's a good and easy way to play the game for newcomers, or even maybe not-as-long-as-hardcore-veterans-but-have-played-enough people. I know some people like the addition of it, and it sounds like a nice way to play the game once you are going to buy it :)

Support grinding is nice too, instead of visiting random My Castle battles, it's actually a way to continue in the main story without being that repetitive.

#optimism

All maps are very much playable on Classic.

duh, silly, that's why classic is a mode!!! :))) and with the addition of phoenix mode, people who are having trouble can do it!!! nobody is excluded:)

Edited by Carter

The amount of caring I have for the existence or non-existence of Phoenix Mode is equivalent to my mental capacity at 8 am in the morning.