4Koma & Character Book Translations [COMPLETE]

Kirokan

Okay everybody, so for those of you who want just the character artworks (untranslated, though technically translated in the Character Threat and on the SF sub section for Fates), I set up a blog post here:

Thanks so much!!

Hehe poor Sakura, Ryouma scared her... and in the other one, Sakura is saying that Kamui looks like Sumeragi? or I'm confusing her words?

PS: So Takumi is more like his mother? Interesting... But I still prefer my headcanon that obviously contradicts canon, that Takumi has a different mother than the other 3 LoL

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drawings do feel a bit...cheapskate maybe?

I don't really have that many qualms (Hana's is pretty nice), but some things are a bit weird

Like the Baton seems out of proportion for Sakura (it's supposed to be, what, half her height at least?)

Some of the clothing and/or shoes also seem a bit weird, poses aside

I could probably comment on everyone but I dunno

In my opinion, Mitama's eyes look quite a lot..different, from the ingame one, it feels quite different

And Soleil looks like a completely different person, that's kind of....

The only thing I thought looked off were Elise's clown feet.

Wow, thanks for all the artwork scans!

But now... I really hope we see Kozaki's artwork sometime. The artwork overall feels kind of... cheap (though some certainly look better than others). I'd personally peg it as a sizable collection of fan-art where the artist rushed a bit.

Thank you so much for the translations and scans! I'm not really a big fan of the artwork here, but Kazahana, Takumi, Oboro, Nishiki and Shara look quite nice. If I'm not mistaken, the same artist drew all of them, too! Only Shara was drawn by someone else.

But yeah, I'd love to see Kozaki's official art soon.

You know, another thing I liked about some of the artworks is that they have that "classic FE" vibe to them. Do others see that too or is that just me? And that's just some. Something about the poses, or maybe the faces that aren't drawn by Kozaki...etc

Come to think of it, some of them remind me a lot of the style Sacred Stones and Rekka no Ken had for the character art...and I like it a lot. Thanks so much for translating this by the way. :D

Well, Kozaki's official arts aren't always perfect either. Remember female Kamui with two left feet? :p

True. But the occasional mishap from him is preferable over the general (at best) "meh"-ness of the artwork in this 4koma collection. And then there's the aforementioned dwarf Belka and clown shoes Elise...

Artwise I think there's some that are really nice, but there's a bunch that are quite awkward. I mean, they're all drawn by a number of different artists, though, so inconsistent quality is to be expected.

The best part is that we finally get to see the official romanji of the names, correcting some of the popular accepted fan translations/transliterations:

Ryouma is transliterated as Ryoma

Marx is Marks

Gunther is Gunter

"Cyrus" was always supposed to be Silas

Elfie is Elfy

Saizou is transliterated as Saizo

Belka is Berka

Yuugiri is transliterated as Yugiri

Crimson is Crymson

Asyura is Ashura

Fuuga is transliterated as Fuga

Gurei is indeed Gray

Syalla is indeed Shara

Foleo is Foreo

Velour is (curiously) Velor

These of course aren't the offical localized names but they are the intended names, which is something that is sometimes really hard to tell when reading katakana.

As for the drawings...

Gunter looks absolutely badass (who knew?), and Siegbert, Oboro, Soleil, Hisame, Kinu, Flora, Benoit, Ignis and several others are very well drawn.

Ophelia's a mess, though, while Shigure and Kisaragi seem a little amateur.

The Shara, Velor and Orochi drawings might be some of my favourite pieces of Fire Emblem artwork.

Edited by gayserbeam

I still don't get where people got Asyura from. I thought it was always Ashura.

It's hard to explain, but basically

"Some people" prefer the "y" letter

"Other people" prefer the "h" letter

But the idea is that, "for japanese", both are pronounced the same way

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Some people spell シュ as "shu" and others as "syu" because it is the combination of "shi" and "yu". The proper spelling is usually "shu" though as Romanji are supposed to be phonetic and that is the proper pronunciation.

He was called Asyura in the game files, though, so people went with that.

Edited by gayserbeam

There seems to be a divide between people who prefer Kozaki's style and those that don't (which is totally fine)... I didn't think they looked too cheap (aside from the oddities as some, as many including myself mentioned Belka) xD I sort of prefer some of the artist's styles here more than Kozaki.

So I guess it's just a matter of taste, which is obvious from the get-go.

The best part is that we finally get to see the official romanji of the names, correcting some of the popular accepted fan translations/transliterations:

Ryouma is transliterated as Ryoma
Marx is Marks
Gunther is Gunter
"Cyrus" was always supposed to be Silas
Elfie is Elfy
Saizou is transliterated as Saizo
Belka is Berka
Yuugiri is transliterated as Yugiri
Crimson is Crymson
Asyura is Ashura
Fuuga is transliterated as Fuga
Gurei is indeed Gray
Syalla is indeed Shara
Foleo is Foreo
Velour is (curiously) Velor

These of course aren't the offical localized names but they are the intended names, which is something that is sometimes really hard to tell when reading katakana.

As for the drawings...
Gunter looks absolutely badass (who knew?), and Siegbert, Oboro, Soleil, Hisame, Kinu, Flora, Benoit, Ignis and several others are very well drawn.

Ophelia's a mess, though, while Shigure and Kisaragi seem a little amateur.

The Shara, Velor and Orochi drawings might be some of my favourite pieces of Fire Emblem artwork.

My only issue with this is why would these romanizations take precedence over the text dump from the game itself which had different romanizations (as you pointed out above as I typed this message), and that the "official"-ness of the book isn't really as great, I would assume.

Likewise, for "intended names," why would Ryouma become Ryoma... xD (though that's explainable, like Saizou became Saizo, so they just assume the reader may know long vowels I guess)

But I used different romanizations myself so I'm not really one to talk!

I used Asura since アシュラ is a reading for 阿修羅 (which read Ashura indeed) then translates to the Asura (the fighting demon) we all know and love. xD

But it is read with the sh sound, yes. That's why I didn't go with the game romanizations

Ooh :o thanks Kirokan!

The artwork is quite pretty. These were all different guest artists, right?

Yep! Several different artists, which is why the style varies. I'll get a list of them up eventually.

Um anyway Marx is up!

Edited by Kirokan

My own two cents which maaaay or may not be correct

The people writing the names don't have the same ideology as us, to speak.

So the way to choose the romanizations are based on their values, so to speak.

For the game vs book ones, one minor thing which might have pushed it to the book side (though of course, I myself have my own list of romanizations based on *my* values, which may or may not coincide with those two) is that the game might have, so to speak, have less thought put into it, due to uh....programming?

I compiled the artists and what works they did, so here's the full list. Pick a favorite! I'll add it to the original post too.

Tomoki Yuuya
-Kamui
-Nyx
-Lazward
-Flannel
-Velour
-Soleil

Kotoni Shiroishi
-Aqua
-Cyrus
-Saizou
-Asama
-Setsuna
-Yuugiri
-Mozume

Uka Nagao
-Ryouma
-Suzukaze
-Tsubaki
-Crimson
-Izana
-Midoriko
-Mitama

Shou Akizuki
-Marx
-Harold
-Siegbert
-Ignis
-Lutz

Waranabe
-Hinoka
-Felicia
-Hinata
-Tsukuyomi
-Kanna
-Kisaragi
-Hisame
-Shara

Suzuka
-Camilla
-Gunther
-Elfie
-Zero
-Kagerou
-Pieri
-Benoit
-Gray

Hana Ichika
-Takumi
-Kazahana
-Oboro
-Nishiki
-Kinu

Misato Kamada
-Leon
-Joker
-Dia
-Foleo
-Eponine
-Lilith

Hayasereku
-Sakura
-Rinka
-Orochi
-Asura
-Flora
-Fuuga
-Yukimura
-Shiononome

Karei Kukure
-Elise
-Odin
-Luna
-Shigure
-Sophie
-Ophelia

Lala (Rara)
-Belka
-Charlotte
-Matoi

Nako Shirataki
-Marth
-Lucina

Hako Itagaki
-Ike
-Robin

Same person who did Elise also did Ophelia, huh? I'm not really feeling either of those, although I thought Shigure was all right. Matoi was all right although both Belka and Charlotte looked weird.

My only issue with this is why would these romanizations take precedence over the text dump from the game itself which had different romanizations (as you pointed out above as I typed this message), and that the "official"-ness of the book isn't really as great, I would assume.

I would prioritize the book because the names there would be decided by writers, designers or people otherwise representing the text, while the in-game files would be used only by programmers and don't appear in-game or in official material. The text dump also transliterates Gray as "Gurei" even though in his A support with Saizo he says that his codename is "Nohrian for the colour haiiro".

The text dump names were likely just quick and dirty romanizations for programming purposes.

Suzuka

Hana Ichika

Sweet! These two artists really stand out. Edited by gayserbeam

I'm sorry if it has already been said but next to the logos for if the character appears or is playable(with Izana and Yukimura being odd ones) the 4th lil' logo what is that suppose to mean?

Edited by FireRuby14

I think Kirokan meant "you shouldn't prioritize either". And you shouldn't--usually the official localisation team is communicating with the devs to know exactly what they intended to get across with each name. Sometimes their choices are weird and don't seem to represent that and it's hard to say why that is exactly (internal factors, not bothering to check back on this name, personal choice, honest mistakes, etc.), but stuff like art books or internal files 100% are not done to be representations of that. Full stop. They are for style and ease of use respectably.

Your first sentence should essentially read "because the names there would be decided by designers based on what looks good next to the artwork and for the page layout". You are correct on the text dump romanizations.