Serenes Forest Scribbles - The results are in, check out the winners in the Scribbles section!

Tangerine

Trying to decide between doing a musical composition/arrangement and writing a short story. Got ideas for both, but I might end up going with music since it doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of love (at least from what I've seen). Hmm . . .

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read through all of the replies, but when does this end? I would like to know if I still have time to work on a piece to enter.

Thanks~

In the first post:

So we still have a pretty decent amount of time.

Oh wow, ya that's quite a bit of time!

Thanks for replying!

Really sorry for the late reply this time, I've had a bunch of family over for holiday-related stuff recently.

Could a series of drawings/paintings be submitted that stick to a pretty specific theme, or is it best/most fair to just stick to one piece?

As long as the pictures wouldn't make sense to submit as a single entry themselves. But you're basically describing a comic of some sort at that point?

for the submission piece, are we allowed to include a short description that helps explain what the piece is trying to convey?

I don't see why not, if you feel it's necessary.

Just a Quick question in regard to original content as far as story development goes for this contest.

1. What would be seen as "recognizable Fire Emblem" type material? Are we talking as simple as the triangle weapons, the locations, or does there have to be a direct tie into the past? I.e. Characters from the series must have direct ties to the story?

2. Will the story be checked over for grammar and editing, in regard to how perfect it's written given the short amount of time for writing?

3. You said there can't be more then one submission per person, so no second story then could be submitted after the first one is put up?

Just want to make sure I have all the rules in regard to the set up.

Thanks!

1. Something that would make sense to be on our website is a pretty good way to think about it :P:. When I originally brought the idea up, the plan was to potentially add a new section to our gallery for displaying fan-submitted creative works. If it doesn't make sense to be on SF, then it probably doesn't make sense for the competition. So something only loosely related to FE or FE themes (like referencing the weapon triangle and nothing else) wouldn't be particularly fitting. Your characters don't need to be directly related to the main story of an FE game, but you should be telling some kind of story taking place in an existing FE world that fans of the series would immediately recognize (or any other way you can think to relate it) if you're going to use all original characters. The example I used earlier about writing a story about the farmers in Tellius is a good idea of how obscure you can get if you wanted to; taking a niblet of info the games gave us and fleshing it out.

2. No. That would take a lot of time, and I'd expect users to proofread their own submissions if they want it to reflect well of them.

3. Nope, one submission per person is best.

I did not know that O.O now that I do, should I send a link or the actual work itself? (I did a picture and have it posted online)

Looks like you got it worked out!

Edited by Tangerine

Okay, I have a couple of questions but they're more about my project than general questions. I'm new, so I don't really know much about navigating and where to post stuff. (although I have read the rules and such.) Do you want me to post it on this topic, or send my questions to you as a PM, Tangerine?

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, December 19, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 19, 2015 - No reason given

Edit: Oops, I just triple posted! I hate it when my phone is super laggy. Sorry! Please just ignore this post and the one below.

Edited by SmileyEmblem
Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, December 19, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 19, 2015 - No reason given

Edit: Actually, is there any way to delete posts? That would be really handy right now... Thanks for anyone who replies. And again, super sorry!!!

Edited by SmileyEmblem

We mods can do something about pesky multiple posts! :):

I'm not sure what type of question you want to ask, so I can't say whether or not you can post it here or via PM. If it's something specific to what you want to work on, a PM would work. If it's something general (like a rules question), then posting it here will work.

Up to you, if you want to keep your project a secret just send me a PM with your questions.

Also since I'm posting here anyway, Specta and I begin work on the boxes/manuals together some time this week. Expect some updates eventually!

Edited by Tangerine

lol! I consider that a good thing. The intention with the long submission period was so everyone interested would likely be able to find some time to participate even with a busy schedule. Better to have some extra time than not enough :P:.

Has anyone else found this long due date as a perfect opportunity to procrastinate I intended to start this weeks ago but haven't done a lick yet.

I had two months and submitted mine within four days. Probably should've worked harder. XP

I'm going over some ideas, though, so I may change mine...

lol! I consider that a good thing. The intention with the long submission period was so everyone interested would likely be able to find some time to participate even with a busy schedule. Better to have some extra time than not enough :P:.

Oh definitely to be sure. I just want to get off my ass and make use of this time instead of leaving it to the last week.

Started off procrtinating a bit, but I've got too many ideas running around to not do something early. Got it narrowed down to two specific options on which project, but now just to try them both and see which i can produce more effectively and with more--well, in lack of a better way to put it--shazam.

If I were to remix tracks originally from the games by copying the original code for the music and modifying it so it could work with my updated sounds that I've created would that be too close to the original?

Well, I've already submitted something, but I just realized that I'm totally outclassed by a LOT of people, as I don't have any drawing material (no photoshop, no tablet, just a black pen and my felt-tip pens... thankfully I was able to shot the drawing in full HD ^^). Morover, I live in europe, and I have no NES/SNES... so yeah, the prizes would be pretty useless with me ^^" so I'm pretty sure (like, 99.99%) that I won't be selected, but still, joining for fun is fun :D !

BTW, just wan't to make sure Tangerine got my pictures, how can I know if he did get them?

@Rethel34 well that's what most music remixers do, get the midi data and assign new instruments. I realized I phrased that really unsexily XD. And remixing does require a lot of creativity and problem solving, potentially adding new sections/solos and realizing pieces in new styles and genres, although it is way less inspired than writing one's own music. It felt a little boring to me though so I came up with a new idea that'll require much more time and creativity but I can be more proud of it afterwards.